What's Next for Blizzard?

Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

With Blizzard shelling two games out in the same year for the first time in the company's history, and with Diablo III probably coming out next year. What's next for Blizzard? We know that they'll work on the SCII HoS and LoV expansions, but what about the WoW team. Will they make another WoW, or will they go back and make a Warcraft 4? I mean I could really see them doing it. 

As I play the  starcraft II beta I realize how brilliant and talented Blizzard really is as a developer. They are masters at their craft. As most of you know, I am a huge SC fan, and highly anticipating SCII, but I was  never more engrossed or attached to any game (MW2 included), than I was to Warcraft III and Warcraft III TFT. Those were the times where I spent my early Middle School years on the Computer till 11 at night and I'd wake up at 6 in the morning to play it some more. Although now being a teenager I could never do that....I need my sleep. 

Warcraft 3 did everything right. It looked good, it ran well, it never had any problems, the balance of the 4 races was truly mind blowing, the voice acting was superb, the campaign was engrossing and compelling, the game-play flawless as it combined RTS and RPG elements, and it was years ahead of its time in terms of its multi-player. The matchmaking system that that game had back then rivals MW2's now, and SCII is even better than MW2's. I realize comparing Warcraft 3 to MW 2 is like comparing apples to oranges, but...they're both fruit. Warcraft 3 was my favorite game of all time, followed closely by Half Life 2 and Starcraft, and today I was urged to watch Greg Kasavin's Gamespot review on Warcraft 3 from like 8 years ago, and watching it really made me want a sequel...like really badly. I know that Blizzard's got three teams working hard, on WoW Catyclsim , SCII and Diablo III, but they'll have one team to work with and I hope to God they make a Warcraft 4....

So who thinks its possible?

#1 Edited by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

With Blizzard shelling two games out in the same year for the first time in the company's history, and with Diablo III probably coming out next year. What's next for Blizzard? We know that they'll work on the SCII HoS and LoV expansions, but what about the WoW team. Will they make another WoW, or will they go back and make a Warcraft 4? I mean I could really see them doing it. 

As I play the  starcraft II beta I realize how brilliant and talented Blizzard really is as a developer. They are masters at their craft. As most of you know, I am a huge SC fan, and highly anticipating SCII, but I was  never more engrossed or attached to any game (MW2 included), than I was to Warcraft III and Warcraft III TFT. Those were the times where I spent my early Middle School years on the Computer till 11 at night and I'd wake up at 6 in the morning to play it some more. Although now being a teenager I could never do that....I need my sleep. 

Warcraft 3 did everything right. It looked good, it ran well, it never had any problems, the balance of the 4 races was truly mind blowing, the voice acting was superb, the campaign was engrossing and compelling, the game-play flawless as it combined RTS and RPG elements, and it was years ahead of its time in terms of its multi-player. The matchmaking system that that game had back then rivals MW2's now, and SCII is even better than MW2's. I realize comparing Warcraft 3 to MW 2 is like comparing apples to oranges, but...they're both fruit. Warcraft 3 was my favorite game of all time, followed closely by Half Life 2 and Starcraft, and today I was urged to watch Greg Kasavin's Gamespot review on Warcraft 3 from like 8 years ago, and watching it really made me want a sequel...like really badly. I know that Blizzard's got three teams working hard, on WoW Catyclsim , SCII and Diablo III, but they'll have one team to work with and I hope to God they make a Warcraft 4....

So who thinks its possible?

#2 Edited by Forcen (1804 posts) -

They have said that they are working on another MMO, but i guess a Warcraft 4 is possible. It might be hard to tie a new Warcraft RTS into the Warcraft storyline with WoW currently running and moving the Warcraft story forward.

#3 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@giyanks22:  I really wish they'd branch out and make new ips, but they seem pretty committed to their three universes. I'm sure that all three will receive proper sequels, such as Warcraft 4, for as long as Blizzard keeps developing. They're pretty reliable, it might just take them 10 years to develop it.
#4 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @giyanks22:  I really wish they'd branch out and make new ips, but they seem pretty committed to their three universes. I'm sure that all three will receive proper sequels, such as Warcraft 4, for as long as Blizzard keeps developing. They're pretty reliable, it might just take them 10 years to develop it. "
lol that's what I'm afraid...I don't want to wait ten years lol. I think it will all depend on how successful they are with Starcraft 2 and DIII, but my guess is that Warcraft III will be out in 2015. Just a guess. Cause it took them 3 years from SC BW to WarIII and I think they plan on finishing SCII in 2012. I don't know...I just sure as hell want Warcraft 4....
#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

They're working on a new MMO. They've also come out and said they're working on a new IP, which is safe to assume is the new MMO since they've confirmed it's not WoW 2.

#6 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Well they have had over 10 years now to make Starcraft 2 so you'd kinda expect them to be able to do it right.

#7 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

whats next? milking...followed by milking...and more milking. 

they are incapable of making anything new. used to love em now i wont bother with their crap. screw SC2.

#8 Edited by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:

" They're working on a new MMO. They've also come out and said they're working on a new IP, which is safe to assume is the new MMO since they've confirmed it's not WoW 2. "

That makes sense, but I gotta feeling (love that song) that Warcraft 4 is being planned somewhere down the road. What about a world of Starcraft...lol
#9 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@TotalEklypse said:
" whats next? milking...followed by milking...and more milking.   they are incapable of making anything new. used to love em now i wont bother with their crap. screw SC2. "
Yeah but every great franchise needs a sequel. Imagine if tthere was never a Half Life 2, Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil, 2,3,4,5. Metal of Gear Solid 2,3,4. So many good franchises need sequels and ended up being milked
#10 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

I guess their roadmap atm is:

2010: Sc2 Wings of Liberty / WoW: Cataclysm
2011: Sc2 Heart of the Swarm / Diablo 3
2012: Sc2 Legacy of the Void

It would probably be safe to bet there will be another WoW expansion in 2012, i think after diablo releases we'll probably start hearing more about whatever is unannounced.

#11 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@Adamsons said:
" I guess their roadmap atm is:  2010: Sc2 Wings of Liberty / WoW: Cataclysm 2011: Sc2 Heart of the Swarm / Diablo 32012: Sc2 Legacy of the Void It would probably be safe to bet there will be another WoW expansion in 2012, i think after diablo releases we'll probably start hearing more about whatever is unannounced. "
I agree with you that after DIII they'll announce their next big project, kinda like how they announced SC II after WoW Burning Crusade.
#12 Posted by ArcLyte (880 posts) -

after D3 they'll be all about their new super secret MMO

#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

New Lost Vikings game. You heard it here first. 

Honestly? I expect a Diablo 3 expansion or two, and then they will probably get on to making Warcraft 4.

#14 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@giyanks22:  

i mean that is all they do.. zero new ips.  it takes em 10 years to make a game (rehash)  which is nonsense. then toss in some crappy battlenet micro transactions for extra flavor of bullshit. nah i'm done with em. 
#15 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@TotalEklypse said:
" @giyanks22:   i mean that is all they do.. zero new ips.  it takes em 10 years to make a game (rehash)  which is nonsense. then toss in some crappy battlenet micro transactions for extra flavor of bullshit. nah i'm done with em.  "
If Blizzard is such a bad developer than why is WoW one of the most sucessful games of all time, not to mention that Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Diablo II are all considered the genre defining games. I agree with what you're saying that they don't really come out with any new IPS, but it's not like they're beating a dead horse. They're making sequels to games that people are psyched over. They're coming out with the third WoW expansion. What game has three expansions? SC II has two. It's a credit to Blizzard. Yes I agree completely that they need to make some new IP's after the DIII, SCII, and WoW come out, but I think they'll make a Warcraft 4 and then come out with a new IP and then maybe a Starcraft 3 and a Diablo 4 and a WoW 2, or a World of Starcraft....who knows, they are masters at their craft who don't have a bad game to their name.
#16 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@giyanks22:  

u fail to see the point. i should have guessed as much  from a guy with a blizzard avatar that you might. i'll take leave and save my time. 
#17 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -
@TotalEklypse said:
" @giyanks22:   u fail to see the point. i should have guessed as much  from a guy with a blizzard avatar that you might. i'll take leave and save my time.  "
I understand that you're mad that they don't come out with any new IP's and yeah I wish they did too, but its not like the games that they milk really suck, each one is better than the next. I wish just as much as you do that they would have a new IP, but I don't abandon Studios for milking series and producing good games. Based on your thinking I should've give up on Infinity Ward for making MW 2, even though it's a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.