Would you play a Second Life type MMO if Blizzard made it?

#1 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

The article about the product placement position at Blizzard got me thinking: if anyone could make an MMO that mixes online gameplay and social environments with real-world business, it would probably be Blizzard. Blizzard has experience with crafting Skinner Box reward systems to keep players interested and managing huge social environments to support social interactions.

WoW players will also note that Blizzard is very savvy at making profitable but non-intrusive marketing schemes, such as the WoW trading card game, pet shop, collector's editions, and Blizzcon bonuses. The market also seems ripe for a strong name-brand to come in and break new ground, since the main competitors (Second Life, Playstation Home, etc.) aren't changing enough to draw new users.

So now I'm curious: how many of you would you play such an MMO?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No? I don't even play World of Warcraft.

#3 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Until I got banned for making fun of everybody, yes.

#4 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

No. Blizzard is good in the way you describe. But Second Life is a different beast. It's not a game. If Blizzard did it, it would be a game called World of Warcraft.

In other words, Blizzard already did that, in their own way.

Second Life just needs a faster internet and a facelift. There's not much wrong with it, really. If you want to live there and invest in it, it supports that. If you're just visiting, you can do that too.

#5 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

Second life is really it's own thing. It is neither an MMO nor a game in any sense so Blizzard would be tackling unknown waters. We know Blizzard can craft amazing RTS's, Themepark MMO's, and Dungeon (loot) crawlers. Not to mention, having played Second Life, I don't want any respectable company diving into that anyway.

#6 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

No. Not because I don't have faith in Blizzard's ability to make games. I just feel that Blizzard's forums are already what that game might be.

#7 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

No.... and hell no. Blizzard jumped the Shark long ago and I won't even be purchasing Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 FTW. Activision/Blizzard are dinosaurs.

#8 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

No and I am highly suspicious of the judgement of anyone who is still playing Warcraft seven or eight years into it. That game was interesting for about six weeks and very long-term players, I'm sorry to say this about them, kind of rub me the same way as people who watch sit-coms. You just kind of wonder what happened in their brain chemistry to make eight years of WoW compelling to them or to make fart-noises and shows bout whacky dumb husbands rehashing shows that other sit-coms did forty years earlier interesting enough to spend half an hour on.

In fact, looking back at it, I'm starting to realize I might not be the adoring Blizzard fan that I always thought I was. I played WoW for about six weeks during the launch and never found a reason to return to it. The Warcraft series hasn't been around for almost a decade. Diablo III will be fun enough, but like the other Diablo games, I'm not going to spend two years playing it; I'll play through it in a few hours. Maybe try a second character and play that in a few hours. At the end of the weekend, uninstall the game and probably never touch it again. And Star Craft... That's the one thing that is still compelling and really great, but I feel I'm nearing on too old of an age to even remotely compete in it. So I'm really only a fan of one Blizzard game anymore (or for the last decade) and, even then, only sort of peripherally.

And here I always thought I thought Blizzard was one of the two greatest developers (maybe in terms of quality and final finish, still).

#9 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

I want a game, not a social life simulator. Second Life is named so to express its purpose. No thank you.

#10 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@Branthog said:

No and I am highly suspicious of the judgement of anyone who is still playing Warcraft seven or eight years into it. That game was interesting for about six weeks and very long-term players, I'm sorry to say this about them, kind of rub me the same way as people who watch sit-coms. You just kind of wonder what happened in their brain chemistry to make eight years of WoW compelling to them or to make fart-noises and shows bout whacky dumb husbands rehashing shows that other sit-coms did forty years earlier interesting enough to spend half an hour on.

In fact, looking back at it, I'm starting to realize I might not be the adoring Blizzard fan that I always thought I was. I played WoW for about six weeks during the launch and never found a reason to return to it. The Warcraft series hasn't been around for almost a decade. Diablo III will be fun enough, but like the other Diablo games, I'm not going to spend two years playing it; I'll play through it in a few hours. Maybe try a second character and play that in a few hours. At the end of the weekend, uninstall the game and probably never touch it again. And Star Craft... That's the one thing that is still compelling and really great, but I feel I'm nearing on too old of an age to even remotely compete in it. So I'm really only a fan of one Blizzard game anymore (or for the last decade) and, even then, only sort of peripherally.

And here I always thought I thought Blizzard was one of the two greatest developers (maybe in terms of quality and final finish, still).

Normally you piss me off, but I'm starting to like you.

#11 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

I want a game, not a social life simulator. Second Life is named so to express its purpose. No thank you.

Fixed that for you. :D

#12 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

Considering I played Second Life for a while, yes.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Subjugation said:

I want a game, not a social life simulator. Second Life is named so to express its purpose. No thank you.

Fixed that for you. :D

ಠ_ಠ

#14 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

Only if I could create swarms of flying penises.

#15 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

Second Life type games sound really stupid to me, but if it is Blizzard I will try anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.