Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Bloodborne Discussion (Spoilers)

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To those of you wondering yes you can befriend the gatling gun guy on the tower in Old Yharnam. Don't enter from the front door with the note, don't even open it.

Get the black church robes, and proceed through the Cath Ward to Old Yharnam. He apparently is a covenant duder.

Also I enjoy how the game bait and switches the plotline halfway through depending on your madness, and Rom boss fight.

First half is Victorian witch/beast hunt like all of the promotion material. Second half is Twilight Zone aliens came to earth to hunt humans. the "curse" isn't turning people into beasts, it's turning them into aliens (a la Iosefka) or just melting their sanity (gaining too much Insight) That's why the fuckhuge spiders appear as you gain Insight... they were there all along, you just couldn't comprehend their form until you become mad enough.

Praise the Moon People

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@subliminalkitteh: Gatling Motherfucker being a covenant NPC makes his insane skills more understandable. I thought From were just being dicks, but hey, the more you know.

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@oldirtybearon: Well hey, you'd be pretty badass too if you sat on a tower with a gatling gun and shot werewolves for ages possibly centuries

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: I appreciate your posts on this board, man, but could I possibly ask you for one favour? Could you mark story/plot/lore spoilers as such? I'm scared to death to mouse over pretty much everything you've written in this thread lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: so if i were to spend my insight at the shop in the Hunter's dream, would the second half of the game play out differently? Just when I thought I was super thorough and there wasn't alot to play the game a second time for... I was wrong and missed every covenant and most sidequests

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marco724: no, if you gain a certain level of insight the game triggers what it needs to trigger permanently. Insight works like how Soul Memory did in DS2, it doesn't matter what you spend or gain, all of it is added until you hit the hidden caps for stuff.

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marco724: well actually I found a wiki forum that found out another mechanic of Insight

the number of insight you have is a difficulty variable, players have found that somewhere between 15 and 20 insight is where enemies start using additional attacks, like the cane and lantern guys start using magic. It's unclear what else changes as you increase your insight, other than base damage and base health of enemies

This also stacks with ringing the beckoning bell, because it takes insight to use, it actually makes the game easier by reducing your insight, or madness if you've read my other posts, due to mingling with other hunters.

insight otherwise acts like I stated on my earlier post above for story related stuff

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@marco724: well actually I found a wiki forum that found out another mechanic of Insight

the number of insight you have is a difficulty variable, players have found that somewhere between 15 and 20 insight is where enemies start using additional attacks, like the cane and lantern guys start using magic. It's unclear what else changes as you increase your insight, other than base damage and base health of enemies

This also stacks with ringing the beckoning bell, because it takes insight to use, it actually makes the game easier by reducing your insight, or madness if you've read my other posts, due to mingling with other hunters.

insight otherwise acts like I stated on my earlier post above for story related stuff

Would that also mean that buying things from the Insight shop would count like the bell?

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
    deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: Okay I was wondering because I just saw one of those blue portals that the huge nightmare alien spiders use to grab you from near the end of the game in one of the first areas. So when I saw you're comment I was like wait.. if I had more insight could I see this thing right now? Obviously that's not actually the case. Anyway thanks for the clarification it's interesting to find out how this stuff actually works.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat the game, and went "thats it?" I beat the game in 28 hours. They went for quality for quantity this time around i guess. I feel like i didn't do everything so i have a overwhelming feeling to make a new character.

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@asilentprotagonist: there are three known endings, the main two are a choice much like every other souls game, the third is a secret one, but is hinted at all during the game. There is A LOT off the beaten path so don't feel pressured to get it all, most everyone is missing stuff

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: there are three known endings, the main two are a choice much like every other souls game, the third is a secret one, but is hinted at all during the game. There is A LOT off the beaten path so don't feel pressured to get it all, most everyone is missing stuff

The boss before the final boss is the ultimate test of patience of any fromsoftware boss. It's genius.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So uh, yeah.

I think this game damn near broke my brain after that trippy blood moon. I really don't know what to make of anything right now. I wish bosses dropped boss soul equivalents so I could learn more about just what the fuck is going on. Aside from that, man. I don't even know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
    deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just lost 10k souls. Wasn't sure how to get the doll to upgrade me even though I had insight. Ran into Father Gascoigne, which I didn't expect because in Dark Souls 1 it had that fog gate. Got slaughtered and being in a hurry got killied by something else. Does bloodborne stop respawing things to kill like DS2? Should I restart?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@donchipotle: Beating the first boss is the easiest way to activate the doll. Although losing to it would also work. All you need is to have one insight, and she awakens.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So uh, yeah.

I think this game damn near broke my brain after that trippy blood moon. I really don't know what to make of anything right now. I wish bosses dropped boss soul equivalents so I could learn more about just what the fuck is going on. Aside from that, man. I don't even know.

I got there too. I've moved on a bit farther and the environments are getting super grim.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By snakeitachi

@asilentprotagonist said:

I beat the game, and went "thats it?" I beat the game in 28 hours. They went for quality for quantity this time around i guess. I feel like i didn't do everything so i have a overwhelming feeling to make a new character.

Exactly! All that time and that's god damn it? Come on Fromsoftware. I'm seriously considering returning my PS4, and this game. Wasn't worth the money!

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just out of curiosity what level are you folks beating the game at? Also what level are you in the fucked nightmare land? I am getting wrecked by that tag team

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got there too. I've moved on a bit farther and the environments are getting super grim.

I was not prepared for the anarchy that was R'lyeh, Unseen Village. It is mayhem down there. I have no idea if having 40+ insight is causing shit to go south so bad, but I kinda wish I could go back to not seeing what's really there. Just utter madness down in that hole.

The only other place open to me is Cainhurst Castle, and the pregnant spider women are not only nightmarish to look at, but I can't seem to make a dent on them with my Kirkhammer. I think I need to stop before I get nightmares.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling said:

I was not prepared for the anarchy that was R'lyeh, Unseen Village. It is mayhem down there. I have no idea if having 40+ insight is causing shit to go south so bad, but I kinda wish I could go back to not seeing what's really there. Just utter madness down in that hole.

The only other place open to me is Cainhurst Castle, and the pregnant spider women are not only nightmarish to look at, but I can't seem to make a dent on them with my Kirkhammer. I think I need to stop before I get nightmares.

I'm almost certain I'm going to have nightmares of burned citizens and a cave MADE OF STONE FACES

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: yes your insight is stepping up the difficulty by possibly two steps. 15 is the first upgrade to enemy AI, who knows what the number for that second jump is maybe 30 or 35

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snakeitachi: @asilentprotagonist: the third ending explains a lot, but I recommend anyone to finish the main route stuff first.

to you two who have finished, here's a tip for the third ending.

The three umbilical cords are: Kill Iosefka, table in the Old Workshop, and kill the Wet Nurse

Use these three items, and you'll figure out what to do if you keep going after that.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: If I spend enough insight to drop it down to say, 20, would that revert some of the enemy changes and what not or are those permanent? Because, man, I am not confident I can handle what's going on in Unseen Village.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
    deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone getting problems because of the new console firmware update? Since I updated mine, the playstation seems to be turning on itself even though I powered it completely off. I did test out the new rest mode, but it caused the ps4 to kick into high gear and sounded like it was going to blow up.

astrozombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snakeitachi: @asilentprotagonist: the third ending explains a lot, but I recommend anyone to finish the main route stuff first.

The three umbilical cords are: Kill Iosefka, table in the Old Workshop, and kill the Wet Nurse

Use these three items, and you'll figure out what to do if you keep going after that.

That Iosekfa one might not be exactly accurate. I've killed her and all she dropped was a rune.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh said:

That Iosekfa one might not be exactly accurate. I've killed her and all she dropped was a rune.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/how-to-fight-the-secret-final-boss-in-bloodborne/

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So I just got picked up by on of those sack guys in the entrance of cath ward. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been there up until now. What's going on with that? Is it something to do with beating V Am? (sorry can't add spoiler tags on my phone tried to be vague)

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@donchipotle: @asilentprotagonist: hmm, I got it from Iosefka, maybe if she kills that NPC, it gets added to her drops...

But wait... what happens if you get all four pieces of the third of the umbilical cords? Do we have a 5-4 kings of the Abyss situation again?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just got picked up by on of those sack guys in the entrance of cath ward. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been there up until now. What's going on with that? Is it something to do with beating V Am? (sorry can't add spoiler tags on my phone tried to be vague)

You beat the boss of Old Yarhnam.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

Ah okay. I'd assume the area that he's got me in now is not where I should be right? I'm level 37. I just found the lamp there and left to go back to Hemlock.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

@gaminghooligan said:

Ah okay. I'd assume the area that he's got me in now is not where I should be right? I'm level 37. I just found the lamp there and left to go back to Hemlock.

You could probably explore if you feel good at the combat, but it is an incredibly annoying area (but I love it, it's such a fantastic looking place) and you'll know when the game expects you to go through it. If you're taken there early, as in before a certain point (you'll know) then yes, assume you're not supposed to be there.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: I'm guessing I'm there early. I just beat the boss of the cathedral district and now it's night. I have no idea whats going on with that place yet though, love the super Lovecraft look of it though.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That place is freaking dark if you look closely at the environment. The corpses, the little lore notes, everything about it gave me chills.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: I didn't see much but I passed a guy with what looked like a torture device on his head. I was out after that.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm going to have to summon help for Yahar'Gul. This place is just insane with all the bell maidens and the freaky shit on the streets. Also, the old prison area you get kidnapped to... you can't warp there after a certain point. NPC Hunters take it over and smash the fucking lamp. There's a bunch of them in that area as well. Not sure how I'm going to get through it solo.

Also, Ludwig's Holy Blade is kinda meh. I upgraded it to the same as my Kirkhammer (+8 I believe), but it's not doing nearly as much damage. Might be a stats thing, as my Arcane stat is bottom of the barrel (had no idea magic was even a thing until a certain point). Either way, I've gone through Cainhurst Castle and defeated Gwyn II. I also found the other way into Old Yharnam and killed the Darkbeast Paarl. I think I was supposed to fight him way earlier, as I took him down in one go and it was a face roll. Stay under him and go Butcher Pete on that ass. Yahar'Gul though... jeez.

Also there's supposedly something about a Nightmare Frontier? Is that a hidden area? Should I have done that before going after The One Reborn? How do you access it?

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By bceagles128

Man, what the fuck. I just fought my way through a goddamn gauntlet of like hard enemies all the way up the Cathedral stairs, then took a right, killed two fucking hunters, a couple of massive orges and one of those douchdags with the bags, all while dodging sniper gunshots, walked up to a door and got thrown 50 feet up in the air by some spirit thing for instant death with zero warning for no fucking reason. Fucking horseshit, From. People go on and on about how these games are "hard but fair." I'm sorry but instakilling someone with no warning for no reason at all is NOT fair.

I am honestly tempted to fight my way all the back there just to put a message down: "Turn back, death ahead" to save others from the fit of rage I just had.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128: so the same thing happened to me there and there was like some giant thing holding me and then it crushed me. Couldn't see it before that though

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128 said:

Man, what the fuck. I just fought my way through a goddamn gauntlet of like hard enemies all the way up the Cathedral stairs, then took a right, killed two fucking hunters, a couple of massive orges and one of those douchdags with the bags, all while dodging sniper gunshots, walked up to a door and got thrown 50 feet up in the air by some spirit thing for instant death with zero warning for no fucking reason. Fucking horseshit, From. People go on and on about how these games are "hard but fair." I'm sorry but instakilling someone with no warning for no reason at all is NOT fair.

I am honestly tempted to fight my way all the back there just to put a message down: "Turn back, death ahead" to save others from the fit of rage I just had.

@bceagles128: so the same thing happened to me there and there was like some giant thing holding me and then it crushed me. Couldn't see it before that though

That old church is actually the path to two areas; one secret, one not. Once you guys hit a certain point in the story you'll see what's going on. If you like, I could tell you what's behind the door and how to get to the secret area?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: I saw what's going on... I don't know what's happening in this game anymore lol time for a lecture I guess

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan: Well beyond that door lies Yahar'gul, Unseen Village. It's the place that you probably know from getting kidnapped by the bagmen. That path opens up after defeating a certain boss; it's a part of story progression. Basically you're not supposed to go there until the last third or so of the game.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By bceagles128

Boom, peace out Hemwick Witch(es). Second boss I've killed on the first try. If anyone hasn't gotten there yet, I would recommend heading left at the Cathedral and killing the witches BEFORE fighting Vicar inside the Cathedral.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By gaminghooligan

@oldirtybearon: Ah okay well I got the item that let me go to a certain nightmare place. I went through the first lamp area but after I went outside I got killed in pvp and left. I'm currently fighting the boss of the forest area. I have 44 insight. Would you recommend continuing the Frontier area or going somewhere else? That boss battle is really destroying me. Also should I got back to Odeon Cathedral and check out that area where you get the top hat now that I have the item?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan said:

@oldirtybearon: Ah okay well I got the item that let me go to a certain nightmare place. I went through the first lamp area but after I went outside I got killed in pvp and left. I'm currently fighting the boss of the forest area. I have 44 insight. Would you recommend continuing the Frontier area or going somewhere else? That boss battle is really destroying me. Also should I got back to Odeon Cathedral and check out that area where you get the top hat now that I have the item?

The boss battle is destroying you because the difficulty scales with Insight. The more Insight you have, the harder the game gets. It looks like the difficulty jumps by factors of 15, so 15, 30, 45, and so on all the way 99 it seems like. If you want the baseline Bloodborne game, drop your insight to below 15. I keep mine hovered around 12 or 13 or so. It seems like 15, 30, and beyond all increase difficulty. My insight was 40+ before I found this out, dropped it down to below 15 and shit got a lot easier to deal with.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By gaminghooligan

@oldirtybearon: wow.... man thanks for the tip. I can confirm you start seeing some bizarre stuff past 40 now which is why I held on to it. Think I want to shed some though

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Since I've been hearing whispers that this game gets kind of crazy, I've actually been looking at these spoilers (I'm only 5 hours in). Couldn't help it, but now I need to see what the hell is going on with the back half.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Since I've been hearing whispers that this game gets kind of crazy, I've actually been looking at these spoilers (I'm only 5 hours in). Couldn't help it, but now I need to see what the hell is going on with the back half.

If you really want to know, read the following:

It's HP Lovecraft meets Berserk filtered through Miyazaki's fucked up imagination.

And it's awesome.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Crembaw

I'm not enjoying the Lovecraftian angle. So far it seems to have completely shredded every notion of being a hunter of Beasts, which I guess could be cool, but I sort of enjoyed it when the mysteries were purely tied up in the city of Yharnam and not caused by external fuckery.

I think part of my problem is that the alien designs are all pretty staid, average Cthulhu things and not a more abstract, Beastlike interpretation, with the exception of a few designs in the Nightmare zones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.