Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Got Platinum. Bloodborne needed Artorias of the Abyss.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I got my platinum trophy several days ago so I've had time to think of Bloodborne as a whole and how it compares to to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Killing the Moon Presence was my final trophy and there is a funny situation I'd like to point out about that fight before I go on. The red laser move leaves you with 1 HP. I didn't know that. I was fighting the Moon Presence with my transformed Chikage that continually drains your HP. I thought it was an impossible to dodge move that killed in one until it happened to hit immediately after my HP was drained so i had a fraction of a second to see myself still alive and then collapse due to the HP drain. I killed it right after that.

With that out of the way I want to make it clear that Bloodborne will most likely end up being my GOTY, but I feel it dropped the ball in a major way. I had hoped that From had learned this lesson from DS1 and DS2, but they still don't know why people are so attached to the bosses from Dark Souls 1. The answer? They hyped their bosses within the lore of the game.

Dark Souls 1 SPOILERS ARE COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Souls 1 had that amazing opening cinematic that showed you who you were going to fight and why they were cool. Before you even gain control of the game you already know that they will be your ultimate goal. Throughout the game you have NPCs, items descriptions, and environments that enhance your eventual meeting with those that obtained the Lord Souls. The game doesn't limit the hype to the big bosses as several other bosses (Four Kings, O&S, Priscilla, etc.) receive a similar treatment.

I thought that the Artorias of the Abyss DLC demonstrated that that From knew how to properly get you excited to fight upcoming bosses.

Artorias had already been pushed hard in DS1 so there was no need to expand on his legendary status, but even after you kill you find out from Gough that he was severely weakened from a fight he could not win due to the nature of the Darkness/Abyss.

Gough is a really cool guy though so he also pushes Kalameet. Most people will see Kalameet on the bridge and then encounter him a 2nd time in a fight that's nearly impossible to win. Talk to Gough and he'll eventually tell you that, "even mighty Anor Londo dared not provoke his ire." Talk some more and you'll be treated to an amazing cutscene where a "blind" Gough shoots down Kalameet to make the fight for manageable for you.

Speaking of Artorias what exactly took him down? Gough provides one more service and tells us that the guy responsible for taking down Artorias and starting all this Abyss nonsense is Manus, Father of the Abyss. By this point we already know that the Abyss is a very serious problem thanks to the events from the vanilla version of the game, but we finally get to fight the source. Remember the DS1 cinematic opening and the Furtive Pygmy that was so easily forgotten? You are lead to believe that you will finally fight the original being that found the Dark Soul and that is extremely exciting.

What did Bloodborne have in the way of an ultimate goal that you were trying to achieve? Seek the Paleblood to transcend the hunt? That doesn't mean anything to someone who just starts the game. What about the bosses. Do you you know who or what you're going to fight in any given area? Do you know anything about any given boss before you see them? The bosses look cool and they're fun to fight, but you can't look forward to any boss if you don't know what to expect.

I completely understand that that world of Bloodborne seeks to enhance the world itself as you slowly come to terms with the Eldritch presence that's been there from the very beginning, but it would have been nice to have the bosses take a more prominent role in the lore. It would have made their fights something to look forward to.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By csl316

I feel like they did it a few times in Bloodborne (Logarius, Micolash, Ebrietas, Amygdala, Rom). Though I read ahead, so maybe I had knowledge I shouldn't have when the bosses hit.

In any case, having context is cool and something these games should do a better job of. Finding lore as a community after the fact has its fun and is an ingrained part of the series, but maybe give players some more understanding on the first playthrough. Then fill in the deep lore in more obscure places.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The last boss I fought for my platinum was Yharnam in the Chalice Dungeon. I thought it was a cool final boss for me, given that you see her a few times in the main game but she's incredibly enigmatic. It certainly doesn't get to Dark 1 levels of diagetic hype, like you mention, but it was pretty cool. She's a total pushover, though. I killed her on the first try, which was disappointing. Same with the Moon Presence.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last boss I fought for my platinum was Yharnam in the Chalice Dungeon. I thought it was a cool final boss for me, given that you see her a few times in the main game but she's incredibly enigmatic. It certainly doesn't get to Dark 1 levels of diagetic hype, like you mention, but it was pretty cool. She's a total pushover, though. I killed her on the first try, which was disappointing. Same with the Moon Presence.

Yes, there were a couple of bosses that do get introduced in a small way before you eventually fight them. You know that Gerhman is a guy that you can talk to a couple of times during the game, but his time to shine is during the cutscene when you already know you are going to fight him. The whole set up for the scene in the flower field, the stare down, the weapon transformation, and his final line, "Tonight, Gehrman joins the hunt..." is absolutely amazing, but we had nothing like that throughout the game.

Queen Yharnam comes close to what was needed, but it never truly materializes. Her introduction after the Rom fight is great at producing a sense of mystery and her 2nd appearance in the nightmare does lead one to believe that she has a connection to the child that get's brought up in the lore. The problem is that the conclusion fizzles out in her boss fight. You kill her, get her stone, and it's over.

Amygdala at the very least has a surprising appearance once you hit 40 insight. I knew that 40 insight was important, but I didn't know what to expect. Patches provides a tiny bit more of background info, but that's it. Logarius is mentioned in passing and Ebrietas gets an item description in the Augur of Ebrietas before you fight her.

The most frustrating part is that there was plenty that could have been done for the bosses to sprinkle in more parts of their story leading up to their fights. Gascoigne and the Tiny Music Box was like the first step, but you only get the first step and then you kill Gascoigne.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

The only thing I need for my platinum is getting to the blood queen in the chalice dungeons and honestly I just don't have the energy to do it. If I could just go through each dungeon, maybe? But you actually have to farm materials to open some of those dungeons and thats way too much.

I enjoyed the game, beat it three times and left the submit ending for last, just so I wouldn't have to fight Gehrman again. It's fun and I hope they make another one in this style but expand on the classes and possibilities. Magic seems completely pointless in Bloodborne, or rather it takes on a very auxillery role but requires a serious stat commitment at the same time. Also having bullets as the currency for spells is a terrible idea and in a way doesn't really make narrative sense. Like am I slamming bullets into this old bone to activate it or something?

Just like with Dark Souls they introduced a lot of novel concepts that will probably get refined in the next game. Dark Souls 2 took all the terrible things from Dark Souls like not being able to warp between bonfires, upgrading your estus or the generally horrible world design and basically fixed them. I'm hopeful they will do the same with Bloodborne because at this point I rather keep going in this direction than go back to how the previous games played because I already had 3 entire games of that..

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I kept hoping that you'd eventually get to fight Ludwig, specifically because of how his name just keeps popping up in item descriptions. I mean I guess you technically do if you go with the theory that Cleric Beast = Ludwig, but I'd love to somehow face against Ludwig as a Hunter ala Gascoigne and Gehrman via DLC or something. Would love to see what sort of unique Hunter attire someone as important as Ludwig would be rockin'.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: If I had to guess it would probably just be robes similar to those that Alfred wears.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hassun
    @humanity said:

Dark Souls 2 took all the terrible things from Dark Souls like not being able to warp between bonfires, upgrading your estus or the generally horrible world design and basically fixed them.

Allow me to massively disagree with that one.

Warping between bonfires was already fixed in the Artorias DLC and being able to do it from the start is a negative if you ask me. Upgrading estus is straight up worse in DSII with having to go back to Majula and talk to Emerald Herald every time. Sure kindling bonfires could get tricky in DaS but I think it's a far more interesting and logical system. Needing fire keeper souls to strengthen your estus was also a good idea. The only estus-related thing I think DSII does better is that you get less of them.

And I don't think I even need to explain how flawed the "generally horrible world design" arguments is since one of the biggest criticisms of DSII is exactly that. Even the unfinished state of the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith will not change that one bit.

As for Bloodborne needing an Artorias of the Abyss DLC of its own. I wouldn't be surprised if it received one.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think part of the allure of Artorias (other than it simply being a very enjoyable boss fight) comes from the fact that he wasn't in the vanilla game. There were all these stories about his legacy, but you never got to see him. That allowed players to speculate and create their own image of the character, which naturally made people far more excited to fight him when he appeared in the dlc. It's the same reason I was excited to interact with Vendrick in the Dark Souls 2 dlc. And if Bloodborne is to get dlc, there are characters referenced in the game that could potentially get the same treatment. Laurence is perhaps the most talked about character in Bloodborne that doesn't appear in the game, so I could see him appearing in a dlc.

But I also think that's not what Bloodborne was going for. Like you said, and true to its Lovecraftian roots, I think Bloodborne was more focused on the grand reveal of the Eldritch horror. You could almost compare it to the way Dark Souls told the story of Ceaseless Discharge. It's not about creating all this speculation leading up to the encounter, but more that it presents you will a monstrosity and then gives you the context after the fact.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dussck

@dudeglove said:

I'm not fully sure why the Player Character joins the hunt to begin with at the very start of the game.

He or she is sick and gets a blood transfusion, after that the person is trapped in the Nightmare. The only way to get out of that loop is to face Paleblood (and thus, the Moon Presence).

This is just my interpretation

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I had written out a bunch of stuff in response but I think thats just derailing the thread so I deleted it out will just accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Obviously people hold that first game near and dear to their hearts. The point stands that I really do hope they iterate and innovate on Bloodborne because as much as it throttled the player into a single playstyle I did find it oddly refreshing after playing three games that for the most part felt very similar.

As for the Artorias thing and hyping of bosses I don't really agree there either. Artorias is built up and it's interesting to see a different version of him but I don't think a majority of the other bosses are anything more than things you encounter along the way. You learn the lore afterwards. This is where Bloodborne falls short in that bosses don't drop boss-souls anymore and you no longer get that immediate bit of lore revealing what fallen creature you've just slaughtered. But apart from that I enjoyed the way the game builds on things perpetually as you play it, instead of giving you a sizzle reel at the start. Hopefully the DLC will be something really interesting, and not some terrible Chalice Dungeon add-on.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity: As long as you don't write it off as "oh people just like that more because it was their first Souls game" or some other irrational reason. :V

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's really weird that you'd put spoiler tags on information from a 4 year old game but start the post with a video of the final boss of Bloodborne which came out like a month ago.

So I never had any of these moments of the bosses being hyped up in DS1. I didn't read many item descriptions after a certain point (probably after picking up the hundredth piece of gear in the first few levels). I had no idea who Artiorias was or what "The Abyss" had to do with anything. It was long enough ago that I don't remember if I just wasn't paying attention, but the lore never felt as "complete" as it did playing Bloodborne.

I liked what they did with Gascoigne, where elements of his story were woven into the level itself and not just in the item descriptions, and I wish there was more of that. It did a good job of setting up a ruleset and tone for how that world works, so that when they start to mess with that world it's actually engaging.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karkarov

@dussck said:

@dudeglove said:

I'm not fully sure why the Player Character joins the hunt to begin with at the very start of the game.

He or she is sick and gets a blood transfusion, after that the person is trapped in the Nightmare. The only way to get out of that loop is to face Paleblood (and thus, the Moon Presence).

This is just my interpretation

Just to add clarification... Uh real spoilers so... yeah...

You come to Yarhnam looking for Blood Ministration which is offered only by the Yahrnam Healing Church. Why you need it is like Dussck said, it is assumed you are sick with some sort of illness only it can cure. "Paleblood" is simply a slang term for the blood of the Elder Ones such as Ebreitas, Moon Presense, Rom, Mergo's Wet Nurse (yes MWN is one of them), etc etc. You need it to "transcend the hunt" which is code language for "become powerful enough that you can became an Elder One yourself" which is what the founders of the Healing Church were trying to do when they consumed/used pieces of the umbilical cord. This is also why you need to eat three thirds of an umbilical cord (aka: a whole cord.. 3/3 get it?) to be able to resist Moon Presence so you can kill him and take his/it's blood thus obtaining transcendence and becoming the new Elder One. Remember... each Elder One was born from a whole Cord.

Of course the potentially most bad ass Elder One is Odeum (Odean?) who apparently has no physical form and permeates basically everything. In some regards I suspect that the whole plot was to use the baby as a sacrifice so Odeum could possess it thus gaining a physical body. Or it could be that Mergo's Wet Nurse (which again is an Elder One) was trying to manifest itself in a different way too? Why the child is the baby of Yahrnam though is a bit of a mystery because the game doesn't hide the fact that there were other baby options around. Also when you think about it Mergo's Wet Nurse might be Odeum because the name "Mergo's Wet Nurse" actually implies the Babies name is Mergo, and you are fighting it's Wet Nurse.

WOOOOOO *jumps down the rabbit hole*

All that aside, I think lore wise Bloodborne is fine but agree with @yummylee, they should bring Ludwig out for the expansion. Also Ludwig is not the Cleric Beast, that theory is nonsense.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov

@dudeglove said:

The reasoning for this proposed by ENB is that the great ones themselves (did you mean Oedon?) are themselves incapable of reproducing, and therefore rely on a surrogate.

Also, regarding paleblood, ever seen the color of blood on your clothing when you strike the doll in the Hunter's Dream?

I didn't really want to go into all that detail about it but like I said "there were other baby options around" (also I guess I end up going into pointless detail anyway). Also don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't like the guy you are referring to and From dumped the whole story in his lap so he didn't have to interpret anything. But to clarify something ...

The Healing Church is founded by Laurence who was one of the disciples of Master Willhelm of Byrgenwerth. They found the Elder Ones during their research and study, it is specifically suggested at a couple points that Rom is what they found and that Rom has also basically brain sucked Willhelm dry by the point the game takes place. So some of the Elder Ones existed before most of or anything was really discovered, so I don't think they need to "reproduce" per se. After all look at Rom himself.... there are lots of little Rom's with him. Remember, despite being a fat ass slug the game says he is a spider. You also find another "Rom" in the corpse pile behind Ebreitas.

We also know many of the Healing Church members tried to become Elder Ones such as Laurence himself... it is his skull you find in the Grand Cathedral after all. So it is totally possible they don't reproduce at all, they simply come into existence through various means. For example Ebreitas was clearly summoned into the world from what the game calls "the cosmos" which is heavily implied to not be the "stars" or outer space, so much as a totally different dimension. One of the Umbilical Cords also clearly states that it was used to "create" the hunters dream.... which leads me to believe that one of the original Hunters used it to "transcend" and make the hunt permanent due to their becoming addicted to the "old blood". Gerhman probably tried to stop them and lost, becoming enthralled, and the Moon Presence continued to run the Hunters Dream.

Of course the flip side argument is that the Moon Presence could in fact be Odean Odeum Odewhatever his name is because remember.... Hunter's Dream is in fact an actual Dream. Like the Mensis Nightmare it is an alternate reality that does not exist in the real world even though it can effect it. The whole plot may have been the Moon Presence itself trying to be born into a physical form so it could "descend from the moon" as well. But I don't think so really. Especially if you factor in what happens if you eat a whole cord and kill him... you do in fact transcend, the Dream continues, and you effectively became the new master of the Dream. Also don't forget two of the Umbilical Cords you can get are acquired by killing someone and ripping it out of their body so to speak.

So my point is this... I don't think the Elder Ones really reproduce, or if they do, they don't need help. The Cords are the remnants of their bodies left after they are given birth too, just like in humans :P. I suspect they "reproduce" by simply possessing another lifeform and forcing themselves on them so to speak. Like both of the NPC's you mention who give birth/might have given birth, but clearly were not getting it on with Aliens, Cthulhu, or any of the above.

Also just to clarify, the fetuses you mention are located in the Choir. The highest towers of the Church itself. I don't think it is a coincidence they are there either since the Celestial Emissary is there, as well as the path leading to Ebreitas. The story bits also state the Choir started as a home for wayward children as well who were raised under the church's care to become the most powerful leaders of the church.... which means they are also the ones who created the Mensis Society. The Doll meanwhile is also just a Dream recreation of the Doll from the real world which was made by one of the Hunters. Probably the one that (maybe?) became and or summoned the Moon Presence. So the color of it's blood really doesn't matter as it is an established fact that it only exists in the Dream which means it is supernatural/artificial to begin with.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I used to avoid that guy purely because I thought "Epic Name Bro" was the stupidest, most modern-meta name anyone could ever come up with. But I gave his videos a chance after I beat Bloodborne and he's actually a pretty stand up guy and likewise I found some of his musings pretty interesting. Even though I've beaten the game I found his playthrough interesting because of all the hidden little things he points out that I never noticed - for instance I never got killed by any of the bagmen during my first playthrough and never had a chance to meet the nun character. Sometimes I think he's honestly pulling a whole lot of lore out of his ass and sometimes he gets hung up on like the tiniest of things but still a pretty cool guy to listen to. On the flipside I tried listening to the Vaatiwhatever guy once and could not stand his melodramatic theater voice - it's a game, it's not a religious experience.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a lot of ENB's stuff and he definitely talks in a more real sense about matters than Vaati. Although I wouldn't hold it against the latter as his product is on a more theatrical subject. When you're talking about lore I've no problem with telling it in a campfire, storied way.

And the only reason I'm holding off on Bloodborne is because I want the complete experience. From's track record on DLC means I'm prepared to wait.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Vaati is... uhh... Well, I'd say he hit his high point with his Dark Souls 1 stuff, but even then most of his stuff was (apparently) pooled from various Reddit threads. It sorta showed when Dark Souls 2 reared its head (i.e. the game wasn't that good on that front, therefore his stuff was kinda sucky as a result), so he's really derivative.

Markus/ENB, despite his whateveryouwannacallit-ness, was maybe one of the main people to actually inspire everyone to get into the concept of Souls lore in the first place.

Regarding some of the others, like TheGermanSpy or, umm... Viitcha/TerraMantis, they're okay, but they're not to my taste. Souls community is what it is, I guess (so's giantbomb to some degree).

See here is the thing. These people are not part of a "community", they are professional youtubers doing it for money. Also, no, seriously, ENB did not start the "lets learn the lore of Souls" at all. None of these people even gave a crap about these games until they saw a chance to make a dollar off of them. Also I have seen an ENB video someone told me was the most insightful thing ever.... and he was talking about a random statue for 15 minutes and completely making stuff up out his ass about it. It was clickbait in the purest sense of the word.

So please, don't overstate their importance, or the validity of half the nonsense they post.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov: I agree ENB can start pulling stuff out of very scarce clues or start speculating heavily. In one video he was extremely impressed that even the horse corpses didn't have eye balls and went on quite a lengthy theory about how this ties into the lore of the specific area he was in. Later in the game he encounters live horses and more horse corpses in completely different levels and admits that they probably just used the same model for everything. Still other times he made some fairly well thought out guesses about what happened.

The big problem, or boon for some, is that all anyone can ever do is speculate. It's not like From Software ever goes on record to really confirm or deny any of this. They release the games and thats it. It would be the biggest "cosmic" joke if they didn't know themselves because they didn't actually flesh any of these stories out. Demon's was a little more straight forward, but Dark Souls and onward these games have been very open to interpretation. The lore is so sparse that no theory is wrong, because there isn't enough concrete evidence to prove or disprove anything.

I think it would be cool if Miyazaki would do a post mortem like 2-3 years after each game and release a detailed plot explanation for each game. This would be cool on many levels as it would not only provide answers and much needed closure but would be a neat way to see who was the closest to the truth. As it stands it's just crazy people spinning webs out of circumstantial evidence and claiming their insane theory is obviously the right one. For Bloodborne the newest fad I've heard was that you're ingesting menstrual blood because (insert 3 pages of theory) and yah..

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda like that speculation as some of it can be very entertaining. Its why I watch conspiracy videos. Its why I posted on GameFAQs many years ago a theory that Revolver Ocelot was definitely Big Boss. Its awesome to find a nugget and go off on a tangent. I also wonder what a post-mortem would do with regards to the story.

The most insightful thing he could say would be something he's already said with regards to how he made his own stories up when reading books because he wasn't capable enough in English to finish them. Its a story that they've purposely elected not to finish. There is no concrete answers.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sound like you'd enjoy PewDiePie's channel

No not really.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Vaati is... uhh... Well, I'd say he hit his high point with his Dark Souls 1 stuff, but even then most of his stuff was (apparently) pooled from various Reddit threads. It sorta showed when Dark Souls 2 reared its head (i.e. the game wasn't that good on that front, therefore his stuff was kinda sucky as a result), so he's really derivative.

Markus/ENB, despite his whateveryouwannacallit-ness, was maybe one of the main people to actually inspire everyone to get into the concept of Souls lore in the first place. His DS1 stuff, well before he ever got involved in official guides or up in Namco/From's grill, was well thought out and pretty well pieced together, plus he strikes a decent balance between the fantastical/absurd while staying grounded and acknowledging that "it's just a game" (whereas Vaati tends to the more "MIYAZAKI IS GOD" end of the scale).

Regarding some of the others, like TheGermanSpy or, umm... Viitcha/TerraMantis, they're okay, but they're not to my taste. Souls community is what it is, I guess (so's giantbomb to some degree).

Back on topic, YOU WANT AN ARTORIAS OF THE ABYSS EQUIVALENT? SOMEHOW MAKE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH IN BLOODBORNE AND I WILL BUY A PS4 IMMEDIATELY.

Not really an Artorias of the Abyss equivalent, but the same approach that the AotA DLC took to boss introductions and the way the world hyped up the boss fights before you encountered them. You knew about Artorias, Manus, and Kalameet and why they were cool before their actual boss fight.

Bloodborne needs a hype man like Gough.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: i think that the silver bullets are supposed to act like the mana bar from demon's souls but unlike demon's souls we can't completely restock silver bullets and we can't increase the amount of bullets beyond 24 which kind of sucks for arcane builds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.