Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Magic? Magic!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

It's in the game! Huray!

I was starting to get worried. I believe I have 20 hours into the game, and still can't use the two spells I've obtained so far, but at least it's in here. My worries about Bloodborne are slowly being taken away the more I play. Seems magic takes up the off-hand slot, so you can wield a pistol and some form of magic and melee weapons all simultaneously. This will at least make character building interesting. It's a little shitty it only appears 20 hours in though (and I can't even use it yet). I believe I have a pace the average player will have, so it's sort of late? Even if it is a 50-hour game. But I guess on a subsequent playthrough it will take roughly a third of that time to get to the same point.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@zevvion: NG+ is where PvP and unique builds will reside. Kind of a bummer since From expects people to stick with the game that long.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: NG+ is where PvP and unique builds will reside. Kind of a bummer since From expects people to stick with the game that long.

I was afraid of that, but do you know that for a fact? I only have my assumptions since they introduce everything so late, scarce and limited. Not necessarily a poor design because players can ease into your game, but for the people that play the game to death with multiple characters, you're going to have to grind out an entire playthrough before you can go the direction you want? That's not the best.

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: After just hitting NG++, yeah I do know for a fact. Just how everything is balanced feels like it will be NG+ for PvP this time, or people will just sit with the story hanging out before the ending to match up. The fact that respeccing is possibly unlikely (never did find anything to respec) is the main problem. Along with invasions can only happen during co-op, PvP is already unbalanced in a way that only late game areas are good for the invader to use.

As for gun (skill/bloodtinge) builds, and pseudo-magic (arcane/bloodtinge) builds requiring late game stuff kind of defeats unique builds that aren't melee like everyone else.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subliminalkitteh: That's the impression I got. It's a shame. I always liked creating new characters and settling them into their playstyle in less than 5 hours. Kind of sucks you'll have to beat the entire game before the interesting builds become viable. Is there any one on one PvP possible in NG+? Or is it still almost always 2 or 3 at the same time?

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@zevvion: If you figure out covenants and NPC summoning, as an Invader you will always be screwed. But a welltrained Invader can use the enemies within an area to fight the Invadee(sp?)

I haven't seen any 1v1 unless co-ops step aside and allow it, but that hasn't happened because the game is filled with people who don't understand honor PvP (Dragon Covenant from DS2)

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is actually magic in the game? Is the magic similar to the magic of the past games?

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good to know. Wonder what it's like. Can't wait to play it. It basically unlocked for me about two hours ago, but I get off work in 7hrs :(

SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

@vahleticar: @sirfork: pseudo-magic, not actual [soul/pyro/hex/miracle]magic. essentially you equip an item that scales with arcane or bloodtinge and it creates an effect relating to the item. Which is real weird since enemies seem to use soul magic depending on how far you are in the game

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Bezerker85

I just picked up one ability I really love:

Loading Video...

Feels like I should be fighting some Ninjas

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zevvion: I'm honestly a little disappointed they put it in at all. I liked the idea of them sticking to their guns of ditching the two things a lot of snooty players thought of as "casual tactics", that being shields and magic. Not because I personally think they're casual, but because the idea of an "adapt to survive" entry in the souls-y series sounds awesome. Kinda like the reason Jeff likes MGS2 so much, except from a gameplay perspective, not a plot one.

Still, I get the appeal from a character building perspective, since I know some people were bummed about the apparent lack of freedom in that regard. Plus, I guess it will mix up the PvP scene a bit, not that I ever give half a crap about that.

Anyway, second (or third) playthrough HO!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: God damn it, I've been writing "magic" in spoiler block for days now and then you just go around and shout it out. That said, MAGIC! MAAAGIC!

@bezerker85: It took me maybe two hours to make that fucking jump to reach that thing. I'm used to getting mildly frustrated with these games, but this took the cake. Worth it, though. I've also managed to pick up a couple of other ones, but save for the knock-back you find in the forest, my arcane level isn't high enough to use 'em quite yet.

@poobumbutt: Magic in this game seems different from previous installations. I'd say it'd be more appropriate to call them special moves. I haven't discovered anything like your ordinary fireball, but rather a ton of very unique stuff that are all potentially devastating, but also very situational. They also do a good job of justifying why it exists, and they never label it as "magic". I'll let you discover the reasoning for it yourself as it's a cool mystery to uncover, but I've really enjoyed it's inclusion in the game so far. And as you say, it's necessary for build variety. That alone is enough for me.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zevvion

@subliminalkitteh: That NPC you fight before the 7th boss, basically has Wrath of the Gods in a slightly different form.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... I've been using two spells for a bit and it seems they are 'free'? They don't cost any 'mana' or stamina to cast and they seem to have infinite uses. Am I missing something? Perhaps it is dependent on the type of spell you're using?

xagefu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ones I have noticed seem to cost ammo, like the Old Hunters bone that costs 6 to use.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xagefu: Ah, that explains it! Thanks. I was wondering why I was running out of ammo.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just found a couple, so now I have to level up my arcane.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic that uses bullets, the best kind. I was a bit worried too after hours of potshots and molotovs.

I really dig Augur of Ebrietas, it's got me super curious about the higher arcane requirement items.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The spam bots are getting fun.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#25 Mento  Moderator

@slax: I got rid of them. Last thing we need around here are the Tiktok Witches. Bloodborne's red moon is plenty hexed enough already, thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.