Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

New Creature discovered in a Chalice Dungeon

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Since I've essentially beaten the game I now check the Bloodborne reddit almost every day and people are pretty hyped about the new creature that was discovered. Who said all the secrets of Bloodborne had already been revealed?

"I found out this is a rather rare creature it appears on Level 3, straight across the bridge and to your right. It always respawns for me so no worries there. This is the Central Pthumeru Root Chalice with the Fetid Offering enabled. Without further ado, r637xabe . Enjoy!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/34unr3/heres_a_glyph_of_starfox1313s_strange_creature/

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool beans.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Weird. There's probably a bunch of little things in the dungeons that people haven't seen yet. Has anyone found that boss rush dungeon that's mentioned in the guide yet?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A bumper sticker that reads "Both of my butts are my face."

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@golguin: Man, I should really get started on these soon, huh...?

Also, hiding an enemy exclusively inside a chalice dungeon - and a specific, obscure one - is such a From thing to do. I guess that's cool? Maybe they didn't want to jeopardize their precious lore by having it in a part of the game that wouldn't make sense to have it in... At the same time, I'd really be happier with as wide an array of enemy types as possible in the main game. Hiding one away down there - even if it is kind of an easily dispatched enemy - is kinda lame.

I mean, I would actually understand if it was a more active and involved enemy in a weird way. Because that would actually add some flair and challenge to someone dungeon-crawling after all this time. This just seems like, well why'd you put this HERE specifically? At least in the main game, it would be a nice "woah! What the fuck? That's weird. Easily killed, but what a cool design" moment. In a dungeon, it's more like "Cool! A new enemy! Finally, some new challenge to climb - oh, it's dead. Cool."

Just sayin'.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I saw one of these on my hunt for the Pthumerian Queen trophy. Didn't think much of it at the time, there's all sorts of unique enemies in the chalice dungeons. Those guys, the ceiling blobs, the weird little scorpions, the banshee things, dudes with for real kite shields and fire swords. I suspect there's yet more unique encounters when you get super deep in those dungeons.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poobumbutt: I don't know if you've played the later stages of Bloodborne, but this freaky head-swapping slug tentacle monster thing definitely fits in to the lore/mythos.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I mean, I would actually understand if it was a more active and involved enemy in a weird way. Because that would actually add some flair and challenge to someone dungeon-crawling after all this time. This just seems like, well why'd you put this HERE specifically? At least in the main game, it would be a nice "woah! What the fuck? That's weird. Easily killed, but what a cool design" moment. In a dungeon, it's more like "Cool! A new enemy! Finally, some new challenge to climb - oh, it's dead. Cool."

Just sayin'.

I totally agree. Its especially crazy considering the main games final act recycles so many enemies.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Also, hiding an enemy exclusively inside a chalice dungeon - and a specific, obscure one - is such a From thing to do. I guess that's cool? Maybe they didn't want to jeopardize their precious lore by having it in a part of the game that wouldn't make sense to have it in... At the same time, I'd really be happier with as wide an array of enemy types as possible in the main game. Hiding one away down there - even if it is kind of an easily dispatched enemy - is kinda lame.

There are actually quite a few enemies that only appear in the chalice dungeons. i'm not sure why this specific enemy is so obscure, though. Seems cool.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I saw one of these on my hunt for the Pthumerian Queen trophy. Didn't think much of it at the time, there's all sorts of unique enemies in the chalice dungeons. Those guys, the ceiling blobs, the weird little scorpions, the banshee things, dudes with for real kite shields and fire swords. I suspect there's yet more unique encounters when you get super deep in those dungeons.

I've seen the guy with a real kite shield only once in a Chalice Dungeon. I don't remember if it was a Root dungeon or in a standard chalice, but it was an early chalice dungeon. I've also only seen the glowy non hostile ghost thing a single time. I've run into it's hostile ghost cousin quite a few times already.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has only done one chalice dungeon so far, does anyone want to give me a quick explanation of what the various dungeons are?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has only done one chalice dungeon so far, does anyone want to give me a quick explanation of what the various dungeons are?

In regards to the story the goal of the Chalice Dungeons is to make your way to the final Chalice and fight the person that you meet a few times in the main game, but never get to fight.

Story aside the Chalice Dungeons are filled with unique enemies, bosses, and loot. There is a specific "route" you can take through the various chalices to continually progress forward so you don't end up doing Root Chalice Dungeons (they don't give forward progression) and wonder why you aren't getting new chalices.

You will eventually want to do the Root variants of the various chalices, but that's only when you want to farm for the most powerful gems and runes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@johnnyhalo666: They're just side dungeons. Regular chalice dungeons are all the same for everyone, as in the same level layout, and you get them by beating optional bosses in the main game. By going through the regular chalices you will eventually fight a unique chalice boss that you need to defeat for a Trophy. Root chalices are the same tileset but randomized layout. As @golguin said they contain powerful gems and unique weapon variants (they only differ in the gem slots) but until you grind out the materials to unlock lower depths (difficulty) these can be a real slog. Generally they are a slog as well because the tilesets don't differ as much as they should. Each floor looks extremely similar to the previous one, and after the brilliantly crafted single player world the chalices feel like you've hit a brick will of simplicity.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyhalo666 One more thing. I just counted and there are 15 unique bosses in the Chalice Dungeons (some have several variants). You will also find more powerful versions of several main bosses from the main game.

In case you are wondering the most powerful/difficult bosses are in the Chalice Dungeons.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I just can't help to think how discoveries like these are possibly going to be the driving force of No Man's Sky.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Who said all the secrets of Bloodborne had already been revealed?

I'm pretty sure they meant the story mode, but the chalice dungeons still have more possibilities for discoveries since few people are really interested in it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@golguin said:

Who said all the secrets of Bloodborne had already been revealed?

I'm pretty sure they meant the story mode, but the chalice dungeons still have more possibilities for discoveries since few people are really interested in it.

Not to be a dick, but we're also talking about significant discoveries. If one year from now someone discovers another new enemy in a Chalice Dungeon that you can easily kill and looks extremely similar to another one in the story - like this one does - I don't see how it is a big deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's touched on a bit in the most recent Bombcast, but like Brad... i'm pretty conflicted about the Chailce Dungeons.

On one hand, it's really tremendous that they saved some stuff for them. On the other hand, most people will never see this content. There are a bunch of unique enemies, and a LOT of unique bosses.

I think they made too many dungeons, which just made it confusing and off-putting to most players. Im at over 100 hours and only know starting to fully understand them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.