Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Poor framerate ruining the game for me...

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By therealnelsk

Is anyone else experiencing a really inconsistent framerate? It's driving me crazy and drops are super noticeable when panning the camera over a perspective with a broader draw distance or when there's even just 4 guys on the screen. I love the souls games, and the framerates have never been great, but this is killing me...

Is this a known issue and will be patched? With PCs I could understand, but the PS4 is standard hardware, what is going on here?

EDIT: Sounds like, technically, it may be reasonably consistent at producing 30fps, but it puts out duplicate frames that may create a perception of inconsistencies. Not sure why they would choose to do this (or if it even was deliberate), but it's previously plagued games like Destiny and Need For Speed, both of which were addressed with patches close to launch.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't had any framerate drops whatsoever in the six or so hours I've played.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Weird, I haven't had that problem at all. I did download the day one patch earlier today. Don't know what it actually did though.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@therealnelsk: I have no idea if this will do anything but I saw some people saying that rebuilding the PS4's database helps.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just found this interesting performance analysis, I wonder if I'm just particularly susceptible to the stutter they talk about:

Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. It's not smooth in motion at all as a result, and frame-time updates swing erratically between 16ms and 66ms - and sometimes higher.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@therealnelsk: How do you make games for as long as From has and not get this shit down? Seriously. It was cute back when they were a scrappy underdog but they have to be held accountable for it now. They're a huge force, at least in the hearts of gamers, and they can't be releasing games in this state anymore.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently there's a weird frame rendering glitch that make it seem like it's stuttering, they're working on a patch to fix that and possibly improve load times.

Source

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Framerate is also terrible for me so I hope they improve it. And I laugh at the people that say "nope no frame rate drops here!" Give me a break. People said the same crap about Dark Souls 2 on consoles... it was hilarious because that game was beyond atrocious especially after you see it running smooth on PC. This is the only thing really bumming me out about the game... the art direction is amazing.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have played this game for hours and didn't notice the frame rate issues I'm not sure if I envy the ignorance or am glad I have a good pair of eyes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

@privodotmenit said:

If you have played this game for hours and didn't notice the frame rate issues I'm not sure if I envy the ignorance or am glad I have a good pair of eyes.

That is a little harsh, dude. I wouldn't call it ignorance, some people just aren't as sensitive to lower frame rates or frame rate inconsistencies...and others just don't care. Sadly though, I'm one of those people who finds frame rate extremely important. Which is why I don't own consoles.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't noticed any issues myself. But then again I am one of those ignorant people with bad eyes. Fuck me right.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealnelsk: @handlas: Try rebuilding the database in safe mode. I heard that makes games buttery smooth after! Big difference. You won't loose saves, or anything. Let me know how it runs after.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Junkboy

@mb: @privodotmenit:

Not sure it's really that harsh aside from the eyes jab. Ignorance is bliss and I greatly envy folks who can't notice stutter or aliasing.

People will always take offense but would you rather be able to play TLoU on ps3 or be like me and think the aliasing is so unbearable the game you spent $60 On never once got played after your first couple of sittings.

That thing was worse than even ps2 games and the shimmer destroyed any enjoyment. Only continued to play it once I got the remaster otherwise I never would've played it till 2025 when we have a decent ps3 emulator on pc.

This game has stutter and everyone will get stutter in the first hour anyone who says they didn't just didn't notice it and I greatly envy them.

I will say after the database thing it helped a bit on my end but I got pretty good at pulling so not getting as many mobs on screen as I did before.

@sterling:

I would say you have the superior eyes. :p

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dropped the camera sensitivity as it was pretty high to start. Think that prob helps a bit, but the frame rate isnt great. I usually dont have issues with frame rates unless they are really bad. Generally if you just ignore it, your brain will tune it out.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaegar
    @mb said:

@privodotmenit said:

That is a little harsh, dude. I wouldn't call it ignorance, some people just aren't as sensitive to lower frame rates or frame rate inconsistencies...and others just don't care. Sadly though, I'm one of those people who finds frame rate extremely important. Which is why I don't own consoles.

It can be a nightmare when you are so used to 60 fps and it drops even a little bit. It feels like something is broken. I remember playing on a PC for a while and trying to play Halo Reach. It was so blurry to me I couldn't play. I may as well have been doing an eye exam through a dirty drier filter.

The slow frames are at 66ms. To put this in perspective; a 50-100ms ping is really good for a game that you are playing over the internet. A 20-50ms ping is good for a local connection. A 66ms delay may as well be a good connection from an OnLive game. That is why it feels so sloppy.

I would feel like something was wrong with my game in New Vegas when I hit the strip. I finally figured out why; the framerate was hovering around 50fps instead of the usual 60+.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@handlas: my problem with the art direction is that weird haze the world has around it like you're shortsighted or something.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By handlas

@humanity said:

@handlas: my problem with the art direction is that weird haze the world has around it like you're shortsighted or something.

Yeah, I agree with that. The skybox stuff is really blurry/hazy looking which reminds me of how it was in Dark Souls 2 as well. Think someone made a "fix" for that on PC for DS2. But the overall art direction of characters and monsters is a big step up from DS2 imo.

I'll try rebuilding the databse on my PS4 tonight and see if that helps the framerate any. The game is also kicking the fan on my system quite a bit more than I've noticed before. So maybe I need to give it a clean.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:

my problem with the art direction is that weird haze the world has around it like you're shortsighted or something.

Well, in the character creator there are glasses that you can put on your character. So, he/she could be shortsighted. Or I'm just full of shit. XD

Anyways, from what I've played, the frame rate hasn't seemed that bad, but that could just mean I haven't gotten to the bad spots yet. Is there a section with horrible frame rate like Blighttown?

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@asilentprotagonist: woah dude, ignorance is a pretty harsh term here. I totally "notice" the frame skips in that I can and do see them when they happen, I just couldn't care less when I'm as engrossed with the game as much as I am here. I know for some people it pulls them out of the immersion, and I feel bad for those people and hope it gets fixed, but that isn't the case for me; I just see the drop and enjoy the remaining 20-28 frames that second just fine.

Perhaps the problem isn't my eyes for not seeing it (because they do), but your brain for not being able to ignore it. (lol, jk of course)

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

@mb said:

@privodotmenit said:

At some point, it's a little odd that these type of people would feel obligated to post in a framerate discussion, no? If this was back in the 360/ps3 days I would understand a bit more, but now that we have games that hit that 60fps it is even more baffling that some people don't see the difference and still claim to see no difference. I know it sounds harsh, but it is indeed ignorance by definition as they don't see what is actually happening. I can't speak for the person who posted this, but I definitely don't mean offense with the word ignorance. Ignorance is only in place of understanding and learning. Ignorance can be changed.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: As mentioned in my post above, I think it's short sighted to assume people don't see/get it. I do, many others who don't care about it do as well, it just doesn't bother us in a way that negatively affects the experience. Yes 60FPS positively effects the experience, but a shaky 30 doesn't always negatively affect it. In this case I think the correct word is apathy, not ignorance. We aren't unaware of it, we don't not see it, we just don't care.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23 chaser324  Moderator

@huntad: By your own definition of ignorance, I'd say that it is in fact unfair to call it ignorance.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: As mentioned in my post above, I think it's short sighted to assume people don't see/get it. I do, many others who don't care about it do as well, it just doesn't bother us in a way that negatively affects the experience. Yes 60FPS positively effects the experience, but a shaky 30 doesn't always negatively affect it. In this case I think the correct word is apathy, not ignorance. We aren't unaware of it, we don't not see it, we just don't care.

If you see it, then I think you are mistaken because you were never made the subject of any statements. I am specifically referring to the type of people who claim to not see any difference. If you know it is there and it doesn't bother you, continue doing what you want to do. I'm not sure if you responded because you feel my statement was offensive, or this was a simple misunderstanding.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By huntad

@chaser324 said:

@huntad: By your own definition of ignorance, I'd say that it is in fact unfair to call it ignorance.

I never claimed to have my own definition of ignorance. I use a definition that is widely available to you as well. I am simply stating that ignorance is not as dirty of a word as everyone is saying. Why does everyone hate that word? We are all ignorant of something. Why deny it or defend against it? It only highlights it even more.

EDIT: I don't know how long this thread will last with this kind of discussion.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SomeJerk

I saw the game chug in the quicklook where I've seen it chug for streamers who were actively playing a lot of games, I myself rebuilt before starting up BB for the first time and it runs wonderfully. It gets horrifying "BRRRRZZZZZT" several-millisecond lockups of framerates in a single area but those seem to hit everybody.

I'm at the stage where my next move will be to go to the door that Brad failed to find in the QL, don't know how it gets later on. The moment you add a second player it does take horrifying dive though, just like with all the Souls games :(

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed some dips and stutters here and there, but nothing that would negatively impact my experience in a significant way.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@mb said:

@privodotmenit said:

No no I meant ignorance in the sense that you aren't noticing it, I didn't notice how crappy GTA used to run on the PS2 back then either. I used to not even mind playing PC games at 30 fps and now I've somehow became a 60 or bust person. (at least on PC)

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@huntad said:

@mb said:

@privodotmenit said:

At some point, it's a little odd that these type of people would feel obligated to post in a framerate discussion, no? If this was back in the 360/ps3 days I would understand a bit more, but now that we have games that hit that 60fps it is even more baffling that some people don't see the difference and still claim to see no difference. I know it sounds harsh, but it is indeed ignorance by definition as they don't see what is actually happening. I can't speak for the person who posted this, but I definitely don't mean offense with the word ignorance. Ignorance is only in place of understanding and learning. Ignorance can be changed.

Its ignorant to assume that we haven't had 60fps games since the NES. 60fps is not a new concept, its just that some games lend themselves better to it than others.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: I get that, and I was never personally offended, I just think it's a tad foolish to ignore the fact that while by dictionary definition "Ignorance" has no connotation good or bad, in it's common use it quite clearly does have a negative connotation. This is a difficult thing about words, especially if one's intent is not to offend, because often times the reality of the modern lexicon is at odds with the original intent of the terms. A great example of this is any slur that's has been used against a homosexual person as nearly all of the more popular ones are not offensive words by any means, but society has accepted them as such.

Either way, no offense taken and I hope I didn't offend you in return :) While the frame drops aren't bugging me enough to notice right now, I do hope From is able to smoothen it out with a patch because, well, of course I would like it to be smoother.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By gaminghooligan

I mean it's not the best framerate in gaming, but boy is it better than most of the other games I've played recently... AC Unity...

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By huntad

@zippedbinders: I think you are making assumptions about how far back I was referring. Your argument committed a logical fallacy as you omitted information in which I declared a timeframe. Your information, while true, does not necessarily pertain to this, and I'm not even sure who it helps. Thanks, though.

@flakmunkey: You know, that's true. Ignorance does have a negative connotation, but in such a technologically advanced world knowledge is valued and expected. I only think the word ignorance is misused due to (ironically) ignorance, as it is often substituted for the word stupidity. I don't think anyone who can't see the framerate drops is stupid. I don't think the word ignorance is as poorly received as racial slurs, so I think that is where we can leave it. I guess this really isn't the place for this kind of discussion, but I truly, wholeheartedly am thankful for your reply. It was good talkin' with ya, have a good one!

If anyone took offense to anything I said, it was not intentional. See ya!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

A 20-50ms ping is good for a local connection.

...There is something wrong with your local connection. :P

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: woah dude, ignorance is a pretty harsh term here. I totally "notice" the frame skips in that I can and do see them when they happen, I just couldn't care less when I'm as engrossed with the game as much as I am here. I know for some people it pulls them out of the immersion, and I feel bad for those people and hope it gets fixed, but that isn't the case for me; I just see the drop and enjoy the remaining 20-28 frames that second just fine.

Perhaps the problem isn't my eyes for not seeing it (because they do), but your brain for not being able to ignore it. (lol, jk of course)

Wrong guy. I didn't say anything lmao

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely feels a bit jittery, i rebuilt my database before i even played so i doubt it will help (although my load times are about 23sec compared to the 45 people were talking about.) I may try and turn back down the camera sensitivity since i put it on like 6 or 7. Besides that i'm enjoying the game so far, combat controls feel much better than the other games to me.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crembaw

I'm incredibly susceptible to framerate drops after years of fucking around with weird Halo: Custom Edition mods and maps. I'm not an expert, but I know 60, I know 30, I know 15, 24, 120, etc. and my experience with Bloodborne has been as near as makes no difference, 30FPS for the entire run. I have encountered exactly one framerate hitch in my entire time playing. It was when I clipped through the world, but that's besides the point.

I might just have a lucky copy, seeing as a not-small number of people have encountered these hitches. But there seem to also be tons of people having no trouble at all running it, so who knows?

I HAVE had several wild experiences with bizarre graphical pop-in, however...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we can expect a Bloodborne rerelease 5 years from now on the PS5?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire game feels like it's running between 20-25 frames for me. VERY rarely does it feel like it's hitting 30. When you're in Hunter's Dream, there are times where it feels like it hits 30, but will then dip back down. Since the game came out I've felt like I'm the only one who has been having framerate issues with the game, but I guess I'm not.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The backpedaling on the use of ignorance is kinda funny.

I personally haven't had too rough of a time with the frame rate. There have been noticeable drops in some instances but nothing terrible.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The entire game feels like it's running between 20-25 frames for me. VERY rarely does it feel like it's hitting 30. When you're in Hunter's Dream, there are times where it feels like it hits 30, but will then dip back down. Since the game came out I've felt like I'm the only one who has been having framerate issues with the game, but I guess I'm not.

It's definitely not running at 30, that much seems clear. But I do think the 20 frames you mention are scarce. Very specific instances and only for a second. There certainly is no Blighttown in this game as far as I can tell.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like characters in the background sometimes seem to run in a lower fps than up close and it makes it feels like the game is stuttering. I hope the patch comes out soon

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's not the best framerate in gaming, but boy is it better than most of the other games I've played recently... AC Unity...

This is true. I wish devs would take a hit wherever needed to make the frame rate a priority. Downgrade some graphical touches. Add some black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Whatever. Okay not black bars :)

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@captain_felafel said:

It's definitely not running at 30, that much seems clear. But I do think the 20 frames you mention are scarce. Very specific instances and only for a second. There certainly is no Blighttown in this game as far as I can tell.

No, you're certainly right. It definitely feels as if it runs at 24-26FPS for the vast majority. But it definitely does dip down to the very low 20's momentarily before jumping back up.

Really hoping that new patch comes out soon.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The framerate is pretty much consistently 30, but there is a documented frame pacing issue that is making the game look stuttery, and should be resolved in an upcoming patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.