Majesco Remembers It Still Owns The Rights To BloodRayne, Announces Downloadable Sequel

• 78 results
Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -

It's been the better part of seven years since anyone uttered the name of BloodRayne without the title being immediately preceded by "That terrible Uwe Boll vampire movie..." Today, Majesco made it a point to remind us that, yes, this was once a video game franchise, by announcing the first new entry in the series since 2004's BloodRayne 2 and title heroine Rayne's somewhat dubious appearance in Playboy magazine. Titled BloodRayne: Betrayal, this sequel moves away from the series' 3D action roots into the realm of two-dimensional scrolling to the side. Majesco plans to release it this summer via Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

Betrayal is not the product of original BloodRayne developer Terminal Reality, but rather is currently in the capable developmental hands of WayForward, who is, as the press release puts it, "the award-winning team known for bringing franchise favorites back to audiences in exciting new ways." That seems like an awfully roundabout way of saying, "We make really good side-scrolling games based on your existing franchises so you don't have to," but regardless, WayForward has enjoyed some success in this genre previously, with such titles as A Boy and His Blob, Batman: The Brave and the Bold: The Videogame and Contra 4, otherwise known as "the fourth Contra game." In a weird bit of subtitle convergence, this is also WayForward's second game titled Betrayal. They also made the Game Boy Color wrestler WWF Betrayal. Presumably, the two games are unrelated.

Other than its side-scrolling nature, the press release is sadly light on details, as is the entirely teasing teaser of a trailer, which is embedded below. The official website also fails to offer up any juicy information, beyond a prospective keyboard-and-power-chord-laden soundtrack that sounds a little like it fell out of Cradle of Filth's ass. We'll be sure to bring you more on BloodRayne: Betrayal as it becomes available, including any word on an eventual Uwe Boll-directed film tie-in. Considering the last film, BloodRayne: The Third Reich came out just last year, it seems pretty much inevitable.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2036 posts) -

It's been the better part of seven years since anyone uttered the name of BloodRayne without the title being immediately preceded by "That terrible Uwe Boll vampire movie..." Today, Majesco made it a point to remind us that, yes, this was once a video game franchise, by announcing the first new entry in the series since 2004's BloodRayne 2 and title heroine Rayne's somewhat dubious appearance in Playboy magazine. Titled BloodRayne: Betrayal, this sequel moves away from the series' 3D action roots into the realm of two-dimensional scrolling to the side. Majesco plans to release it this summer via Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

Betrayal is not the product of original BloodRayne developer Terminal Reality, but rather is currently in the capable developmental hands of WayForward, who is, as the press release puts it, "the award-winning team known for bringing franchise favorites back to audiences in exciting new ways." That seems like an awfully roundabout way of saying, "We make really good side-scrolling games based on your existing franchises so you don't have to," but regardless, WayForward has enjoyed some success in this genre previously, with such titles as A Boy and His Blob, Batman: The Brave and the Bold: The Videogame and Contra 4, otherwise known as "the fourth Contra game." In a weird bit of subtitle convergence, this is also WayForward's second game titled Betrayal. They also made the Game Boy Color wrestler WWF Betrayal. Presumably, the two games are unrelated.

Other than its side-scrolling nature, the press release is sadly light on details, as is the entirely teasing teaser of a trailer, which is embedded below. The official website also fails to offer up any juicy information, beyond a prospective keyboard-and-power-chord-laden soundtrack that sounds a little like it fell out of Cradle of Filth's ass. We'll be sure to bring you more on BloodRayne: Betrayal as it becomes available, including any word on an eventual Uwe Boll-directed film tie-in. Considering the last film, BloodRayne: The Third Reich came out just last year, it seems pretty much inevitable.

Staff
#2 Edited by mwng (931 posts) -

Pair of Giant Bo........mbs?

#3 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It's been awhile since I played a Bloodrayne game...maybe it'll be good.

#4 Posted by EuanDewar (4893 posts) -

This cant be any good...Can it?

#5 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

You can just call it "that Uwe Boll movie."  Referring to it as terrible is redundant.

#6 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Never played a Bloodrayne game, but they always looked pretty fun.

#7 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Why the Hell did that need to know my age?

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

What's that in the sky - Is it a Brad?? Is it a Nicholson?? No! It's Alex Navarro!

#9 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

lol at that teaser

#10 Posted by TheHakku (360 posts) -
@mwng said:
" Pair of Giant Bo........mbs? "
You must input the code "HORNY GOATSE MOIST NAKED RAYNE" from the cheat menu to activate.
#11 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

I should have known from that title that Alex had written this article. It's a brilliant title that just screams "Alex wrote this".

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1261 posts) -

Contra 4 was awesome! I haven't tried Way Forward's other recent projects but this at least has made me interested.

#13 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Cool, I guess.  I've never played a Blood Rayne game but I might check this out.

#14 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

*unzips pants*

It's been a while, hasn't it?

#15 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

From WayForward? Hm, I don't know what to think.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the Bloodrayne games.   Now, I'm not going to try to sell anyone on the fact that they were the "Best thing ever"  but they were in fact a decent middle of the road hack n slash adventure. 

Thanks to Uwe Boll the Bloodrayne name is pretty much throughly trampled in the mud.  Which really is a shame.   The games had some interesting mechanics and Rayne had some of the best  one-liners since the Duke Nukem days.    I will be buying this for sure. 

I would have rather had a full on Bloodrayne 3 retail game  but hey...  I'll take what I can get I suppose.

#17 Posted by GunsAreDrawn (319 posts) -

So, no one realizes this is an April fools joke?

#18 Posted by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -

Didn't see this one coming, but not interested at all.

#19 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

And the first one was so cool.

#20 Edited by DeF (4861 posts) -
#21 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Never played the originals but I'm interested in anything that's worth good press.

#22 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I did not see that coming.

#23 Posted by Landon (4138 posts) -

*yawn*

#24 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

WayForward did Contra 4, and that was dope.

So I assume they'll probably make this side-scroller pretty decent too.

#25 Posted by Parsnip (1085 posts) -

Jake Kaufman is doing the soundtrack for this. He did the Contra 4 soundtrack as well.

#26 Posted by kingofpeanuts (479 posts) -

They also made shantae risky's revenge.

#27 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I was watching the trailer out of the corner of my eyes and I totally thought her boobs turned into the two O's in the title.

#28 Posted by steelknight2000 (442 posts) -

There was THIRD fucking Bloodrayne movie?!

#29 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (744 posts) -

BloodRayne is bad, but WayForward is good...not sure what to think.

#30 Edited by CornBREDX (5106 posts) -

I didn't really like Bloodrayne all that much after the first, so really I have little to no interest in this either.

The ridiculous idea of a dampire fighting nazis was cool (in the first), but I thought the second one strayed more into pandering than actually trying to be any good. I mean it has some decent concepts but overall it was a chore to play.

I hold no high regard for the Bloodrayne series- I just thought as a movie it could be interesting to watch a half vampire tear up some nazis. Of course, Uwe Boll ignored the game entirely (as he usually does) so that didn't work out to well (although as bad movies go, that ones pretty hilarious).

But ya, the games never did anything innovative (the first was highly copying bullet time aesthetics from Max Payne) but the first one was fun in a campy sort of way. The second one was just lame. That kind of killed it for me.

#31 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

They were so-so games to me but I never finished either one of them. I could always find them on the PC for dirt cheap I bet.

#32 Posted by DazzHardy (710 posts) -

I really liked the Bloodrayne games, maybe because I've always had a weird fondness for dumb games like that, so I'm really glad to hear this. Funny it happens on the same day I recieved my copy of The 3rd Birthday, a not sequal to a game I realised is 11 years old now.

#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Don't forget, WayForward developed Pin- Uh, I mean they developed some good games. Yeah. So this could be good.

#34 Posted by Zippedbinders (984 posts) -

I'm going to laugh when this comes out and everyone who doesn't know WayForward is a great developer is genuinely shocked this is a good game. I've been making a habit of getting their games since Contra 4 opened my eyes to the light. They're doing a Thor DS game too and that looks pretty sweet.

#35 Edited by RenegadeSaint (1540 posts) -

Contra 4 is genuinely amazing. These guys know 2D action, so I feel comfortable having high hopes for this one.

#36 Posted by MikeLemmer (548 posts) -

Wasn't interested... until I saw it was being developed by WayForward. Given their track record in making good games from unlikely licenses, I'm interested to see what they make of this.

#37 Posted by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -
@steelknight2000 said:
" There was THIRD fucking Bloodrayne movie?! "

#38 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -
@mwng said:
" Pair of Giant Bo........mbs? "
awesome, thats what this post is.
#39 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

So Alex reviews games, records quick looks and podcasts, goes on Giantbomb outings and writes articles on Giantbomb.

Its time to admit that Screened was just a ploy to get him on GiantBomb.

#40 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Do people still care about BloodRayne?

#41 Posted by Nasar7 (2617 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Do people still care about BloodRayne? "
Did they ever?
#42 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -
@Nasar7 said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" Do people still care about BloodRayne? "
Did they ever? "
Uwe Boll did.  That's one guy.
#43 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -
@JJOR64:  Considering the treatment he gave that franchise, it is hard to assume that even he enjoyed it.
#44 Posted by hurtfulmadmax (72 posts) -

That trailer blows "Dead Island"s out of the water!

#45 Posted by tourgen (4469 posts) -

I like side scrollers so good news I guess

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Is it just me, or is it kind of weird that Alex is writing a news story on the site?

#47 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

That was the laziest teaser I think I've ever seen.
Downloadable? This has, erm, "confidence" written all over it. :|

#48 Posted by Spiritof (2036 posts) -

Video game characters in Playboy magazines.

Remember when that was a thing?

#49 Posted by crithon (3138 posts) -

2d game, by wayforward and on PSN/XBLA...... mind is blown

#50 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" *unzips pants*  It's been a while, hasn't it? "
OGOD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.