Not sure if i agree with the description of this concept.

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Current discription

The content of this game is derived significantly from printed literature, or conversely, books have been written based on the game. Such material may be "cannon" or may depict alternate events in the game's universe.

Should a Tie-in related thing not only be something that is based off? All the other "tie-in" concept are all only for things based off. Curious about what you guys think off it.

Perhaps a new concepts "books derived from games" should be made.
#2 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Yes a book tie-in is when a book is derived from the video game, aka the Diablo, Starcraft, Halo, Warcraft et. al novels. What's funny is that there's a misspelled word (cannon as in the shooting cannon, instead of canon as in the canonical works)

#3 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

How is it called when it is the other way around? (if what you just said is true all the tie in pages should be remade...)

#4 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Well they are called adaptations, I think we could have something called "Book or Novel Adaptations" and that way it would be the other way around. Also Tie-in is generally related in some commercial way, i.e. the X-Men movies had tie-in novels, they were novelization of the movies that were created only because they would sell well due to the release of the movies. That's why all Richard A. Knaak novels work because they are tie-ins that leech off th epopularity of video game franchises (they are well-written fun novels anyway). Ihave already changed a bit the page through the wiki.

#5 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

I agree that "Book or Novel Adaptations" would be a good one. Th main problem i have with the concept the way it is now is that there is no way to see if the game is based on a novel or has a novel based on it. I will have to make similar pages for all the other "tie in" pages but that is not that much of a problem.

What would be a better word to use instead of "tie in" since that it is used for more comercially based stuff in your opinion. Staff members can change concept names which might be a good idea when we have "adaptation" pages.

#6 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

I think Adaptations are all the Tom Clancy ones, tie-ins are all the blizzard and halo ones that I added just now. I think the Witcher is an adaptation from a set of books as well.

#7 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
chililili said:
"I think Adaptations are all the Tom Clancy ones, tie-ins are all the blizzard and halo ones that I added just now. I think the Witcher is an adaptation from a set of books as well."
Sure is. A few books and some short stories.
#8 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
#9 Edited by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Can we put something like Dante's Inferno in this "Book or Novel Adaptation"? Granted, we really don't know the game's plot yet, but it'll probably be loosely based on the Divine Comedy. Does the fact that it's somewhat based on a book makes it count as an adaptation?

#10 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"Can we put something like Dante's Inferno in this "Book or Novel Adaptation"? Granted, we really don't know the game's plot yet, but it'll probably be loosely based on the Divine Comedy. Does the fact that it's somewhat based on a book makes it count as an adaptation?"
already did ^^

I think we can, most games based on books take some artistic liberty. Most Tie ins do the same really.
#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Cannon?

Come on. CANON.
#12 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Cannon?
Come on. CANON.
"
Zitosilva fixed it up already

New dilemma: what to do with all the other tie in pages?
Should we go with the definition: Tie-in = "medium based upon game?"  for all of them?
#13 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Cannon?
Come on. CANON.
"

Should we go with the definition: Tie-in = "medium based upon game?"  for all of them?"
Actually I think it was Chililili that fixed.

But yeah, it's a little confusing now. Doesn't our Tie In concept page defines it as the opposite of what we just did?
#14 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

It indeed does, If we are correct here it means that we will have to move all the games that are one those pages (well actually staff can change the names of concept pages but there are quite a number of games in the current tie in pages that are actual tie ins)

Time to give the dictionary a look to check, chililili said that tie-in= game becomes other medium and adaptation= other medium becomes game.

#15 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Cannon?
Come on. CANON.
"

Should we go with the definition: Tie-in = "medium based upon game?"  for all of them?"
Zitosilva is massive typos away from chililili. Well I just checked how many Tie-in pages there are. First of all there is a general Tie-in page, which should be deleted because what's the point of doing separate pages and repeating the info? Movie tie-in needs to be redone, there are few movie tie-ins you could lump all video game movies in there if youw anted to. But the only one that comes to mind is Dead Space: Downfall. That is a movie tie-in. Celebrity tie-in is confusing, perhaps celebrity placement would work better, but it can remain the way it is right now. TV tie-in is wrong as it would require a TV show to be spawned from video games. Wait I think MK and Mario had a show so maybe its relevant. I think there might be a product tie-in but that is jsut product placement. You might consider changing celebrity tie-in to celebrity placement.
#16 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tie-in

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tie-in

ok two definitions I think the one in urban dictionary gets it best, with the whole batman analogy. The rest of the dictionaries leave it ambigous and as a sort of chicken/egg symbitotic relationship. However I think the one that is the strongest one or dominant one in sales is the one that does not get mention. Example if the Shrek movie had a book it would be a book tie-in, because people are expected to watch/buy Shrek and buy th ebook because of that. SO technically the majority of video games based on movies, wopuld be video game tie-ins, but it is a term that is not generally used by the gaming media, as normally they are called video games based on movies.

#17 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Wikipedia:

A tie-in is an authorized product based on a media property a company is releasing, such as a movie or video/DVD, computer game, video game, television program/television series, board game, web site, role-playing game or literary property.
The way we are doing it now is correct, all the tie in pages should be changed.

chililili said:
"Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Cannon?
Come on. CANON.
"

Zitosilva is massive typos away from chililili. Well I just checked how many Tie-in pages there are. First of all there is a general Tie-in page, which should be deleted because what's the point of doing separate pages and repeating the info? Movie tie-in needs to be redone, there are few movie tie-ins you could lump all video game movies in there if youw anted to. But the only one that comes to mind is Dead Space: Downfall. That is a movie tie-in. Celebrity tie-in is confusing, perhaps celebrity placement would work better, but it can remain the way it is right now. TV tie-in is wrong as it would require a TV show to be spawned from video games. Wait I think MK and Mario had a show so maybe its relevant. I think there might be a product tie-in but that is jsut product placement. You might consider changing celebrity tie-in to celebrity placement."
(yeah sorry about that, i was looking at the point count on the page to figure out who changed it, wrong guess)

Here is a list of the things that need to happen in my opinion:

• General Tie in must go indeed.
  • Movie tie in should be rewritten, movie adaptation should be created. (the Final Fantasy movies are also Tie ins, there are some resident evil ones also).
  • Celebrity tie in would indeed be better of renamed.
  • TV tie in should be emptied and TV adaptation should be created (quite a number of games based upon game shows).
  • Cartoon Tie-in and adaptation pages should be created.
  • Comic book tie-in and adaptation pages should also be created.
  • there is a "anime games" concept but that one should be changed in anime adaptation, a anime tie-in should be created.
  • Manga Tie-in and Adaptation should be created.

Did i miss something?
#18 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Wikipedia:
A tie-in is an authorized product based on a media property a company is releasing, such as a movie or video/DVD, computer game, video game, television program/television series, board game, web site, role-playing game or literary property.
The way we are doing it now is correct, all the tie in pages should be changed.

chililili said:
"Endogene said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Cannon?
Come on. CANON.
"

Zitosilva is massive typos away from chililili. Well I just checked how many Tie-in pages there are. First of all there is a general Tie-in page, which should be deleted because what's the point of doing separate pages and repeating the info? Movie tie-in needs to be redone, there are few movie tie-ins you could lump all video game movies in there if youw anted to. But the only one that comes to mind is Dead Space: Downfall. That is a movie tie-in. Celebrity tie-in is confusing, perhaps celebrity placement would work better, but it can remain the way it is right now. TV tie-in is wrong as it would require a TV show to be spawned from video games. Wait I think MK and Mario had a show so maybe its relevant. I think there might be a product tie-in but that is jsut product placement. You might consider changing celebrity tie-in to celebrity placement."

General Tie in must go indeed.

Movie tie in should be rewritten, movie adaptation should be created. (the Final Fantasy movies are also Tie ins, there are some resident evil ones also).

Celebrity tie in would indeed be better of renamed.

TV tie in should be emptied and TV adaptation should be created (quite a number of games based upon game shows).

Cartoon Tie-in and adaptation pages should be created.

Comic book tie-in and adaptation pages should also be created.

there is a "anime games" concept but that one should be changed in anime adaptation, a anime tie-in should be created.

Manga Tie-in and Adaptation should be created.

Did i miss something?

"
The point.
#19 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -

A tie in is when something is used to give a alternate look at an event, or continue a story. An adaption is when you take a story straight up and turn it into a game or movie.

#20 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -
chililili said:
"http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tie-in

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tie-in

ok two definitions I think the one in urban dictionary gets it best, with the whole batman analogy. The rest of the dictionaries leave it ambigous and as a sort of chicken/egg symbitotic relationship. However I think the one that is the strongest one or dominant one in sales is the one that does not get mention. Example if the Shrek movie had a book it would be a book tie-in, because people are expected to watch/buy Shrek and buy th ebook because of that. SO technically the majority of video games based on movies, wopuld be video game tie-ins, but it is a term that is not generally used by the gaming media, as normally they are called video games based on movies."
So Tie In is basically anything that was sprouted of something bigger?

But even if we change anything I still think that "Book and Novels Adaptations" is a valid concept.
#21 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Well if someone wants to find out if a book is based upon a game he likes he can look up the concept page, or if someone want to know if the game is based upon a book or cartoon they can look it up. It is useful in a wiki perspective.

#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

We shouldn't have different pages for tie-ins and adaptations. Either have a "Tie-in" page and an "Adaptation" page or a "Movie tie-in/adaptation", "Book tie-in/adaptation", etc.

The latter would be clearer.
#23 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

But adaptation and tie-in are opposites, how would people figure out which ones are adaptations and which ones are tie-ins? 

#24 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
Endogene said:
"But adaptation and tie-in are opposites, how would people figure out which ones are adaptations and which ones are tie-ins? "
The description?
#25 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Endogene said:
"But adaptation and tie-in are opposites, how would people figure out which ones are adaptations and which ones are tie-ins? "
We are a creative bunch. We would find a way.
#26 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

Well, The Oxford English Dictionary defines a tie in as "A book, film or other product produced to take advantage of related work in another medium". That means that the current use of the word on most pages, that they are games based upon something else is correct. They are not games that have other things based upon them.

Moderator Online
#27 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

That would work if people see the concept from the game pages but when you visit the concept page itself the individual descriptions do not show up.

edit: after reading LIquid prince his post i understand why Arc does not get the reason for this, looks like i misunderstood the word, need a new one.

#28 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Well, The Oxford English Dictionary defines a tie in as "A book, film or other product produced to take advantage of related work in another medium". That means that the current use of the word on most pages, that they are games based upon something else is correct. They are not games that have other things based upon them."
Not all that sure if i understand this...

so for example the game "Bolt" is a tie in from the Movie Bolt.

making this concept correct:
Movie Tie-in ( concept )

Whenever there's a new Pixar, superhero or Harry Potter movie they have to make one of these.

so the other way around is called adaptation?

confusion...

edit: missed this post:
LiquidPrince said:
"A tie in is when something is used to give a alternate look at an event, or continue a story. An adaption is when you take a story straight up and turn it into a game or movie.

"

so

game becomming movie is called ?
movie becomming game is called either adaptation or tie in depending on the case.
#29 Edited by chililili (1328 posts) -

I think we need two separate pages, for example movie adaptations and movie tie ins.  So a movie tie-in would Resident Evil: Degeneration, or FFVII Advent Children. While a movie adaption would Shrek the game, or LOTR Conquest. If we put them all together in a single page people would not know if the game spawned the original idea or it was a byproduct.

*EDIT*
Endogene said:

"MattyFTM said:
"Well, The Oxford English Dictionary defines a tie in as "A book, film or other product produced to take advantage of related work in another medium". That means that the current use of the word on most pages, that they are games based upon something else is correct. They are not games that have other things based upon them."

Movie Tie-in ( concept )

Whenever there's a new Pixar, superhero or Harry Potter movie they have to make one of these.

confusion..."
Oh Noes we broke the mod!
#30 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
chililili said:
"I think we need two separate pages, for example movie adaptations and movie tie ins.  So a movie tie-in would Resident Evil: Degeneration, or FFVII Advent Children. While a movie adaption would Shrek the game, or LOTR Conquest. If we put them all together in a single page people would not know if the game spawned the original idea or it was a byproduct."
So, we don't need movie tie-ins because they aren't on Giant Bomb. Then, we'd have Movie adaptations, Book adaptations, and Game tie-ins?
Couldn't we just say "Game Tie-in" and call it a day?

#31 Edited by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -
Endogene said:
"MattyFTM said:

Movie Tie-in ( concept )

confusion..."
Yes, that is correct, at least how I understand it.
Moderator Online
#32 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Ha well at least that confusing part is done with

guess i will have to rework the suggestion for new pages a made some post ago

• Movie tie in should stay, movie adaptation should be created.
  • TV tie in is fine, TV adaptation not really needed (unless someone knows about a tv game shows based upon a video game)
  • there is a "anime games" concept but that one should be changed in anime tie-in, a anime adaptation should be created.
#33 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -
Endogene said:
LiquidPrince said:
"A tie in is when something is used to give a alternate look at an event, or continue a story. An adaption is when you take a story straight up and turn it into a game or movie.

"

so

game becomming movie is called ?
movie becomming game is called either adaptation or tie in depending on the case."

1. Adaption
2. Tie-in.

#34 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Still so convoluted . . .

I think you guys are missing something. For somehting like a movie adaptation . . . this stuff isn't in our database. We don't have this stuff listed. What would we say for the games? Games that have movie adaptations?

Does anyone really care about that? You could more easily find that out from a site like imdb.com.
#35 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Still so convoluted . . .
I think you guys are missing something. For somehting like a movie adaptation . . . this stuff isn't in our database. We don't have this stuff listed. What would we say for the games? Games that have movie adaptations?

Does anyone really care about that? You could more easily find that out from a site like imdb.com.
"
Well a wiki entry is not something that depends on it being popular or not it is about it existing.
#36 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Yeah . . . but there's no game that's a movie adaptation.

#37 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Ha well at least that confusing part is done with

• TV tie in is fine, TV adaptation not really needed (unless someone knows about a tv game shows based upon a video game)
  • there is a "anime games" concept but that one should be changed in anime tie-in, a anime adaptation should be created.
"
As someone mentioned here before perhaps we don't need to mention what games have produced movies or books from them. As the list would go: these games inspired some movies or novels, but since we don't keep track of movies/novels/tv shows in giant bomb, it would be perhaps an unnecesary list. But from what I read from this post you have the definition backwards. We need to decide how we are going to define this here, and leave it clear in every page. So what's it going to be? So from the definition you are saying 24: The Game is a TV tie in?

I think anime games should be renamed, but I beleive the only video games that are adapted into anime are visual novels, and all those erotic dating sims and such, and I htink there's alreadya  concept for that.
#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

A tie-in is an official product based off another product, intended to generate additional income and increase visibility. Dante's Inferno would not be a tie-in, but merely an adaptation (as far as I can tell). Bolt would be a tie-in, but could also possibly be seen as an adaptation.

Here are some articles from Wikipedia to help/hinder your understanding of this matter:
Tie-in
Movie tie-in (book)
Movie tie-in (video game)
Film adaptation
Literary adaptation

I have no idea if that helps or just confuses things further...

#39 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
chililili said:
"Endogene said:
"Ha well at least that confusing part is done with

"
As someone mentioned here before perhaps we don't need to mention what games have produced movies or books from them. As the list would go: these games inspired some movies or novels, but since we don't keep track of movies/novels/tv shows in giant bomb, it would be perhaps an unnecesary list. But from what I read from this post you have the definition backwards. We need to decide how we are going to define this here, and leave it clear in every page. So what's it going to be? So from the definition you are saying 24: The Game is a TV tie in?

I think anime games should be renamed, but I beleive the only video games that are adapted into anime are visual novels, and all those erotic dating sims and such, and I htink there's alreadya  concept for that."
Actually, lots of games are adapted into anime (although, yes, the majority are indeed from visual novels). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_based_on_video_games
#40 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Yeah . . . but there's no game that's a movie adaptation."
quite a lot really including everyones favorite Uwe boll... (if i do not have the definition backwards)

chililili said:

I think anime games should be renamed, but I beleive the only video games that are adapted into anime are visual novels, and all those erotic dating sims and such, and I htink there's alreadya  concept for that."
I'm pretty sure that i have the definition wrong yeah which way is it.  From what i think to understand now yes 24 the game would be a TV tie in. So it is the other way around?

There was a Final fantasy adaptation into anime actually, it was based upon the earlier games, also F-zero was made into an anime (i know that that sounds incredible but it is true).

I see your point in how these concept (game to other medium) would not really be part of gb since the end product is not a game but many of them flesh out the universe of those games (the mass effect novels in particular)
#41 Posted by Snail (8648 posts) -

Who would know that such a simple concept could make such a thread?

#42 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

OK I checked wikipedia. And it defines tie-in as follows: the word before tie-in basically is the medium which the other stuff is tied to. Example 24: the Game, 24 The Trading Card Game, are both TV tie-ins. So then the Shrek dolls, the Shrek game, and the Shrek board game are all Movie tie-ins (from the Shrek movie). But here is were it gets stikcy. Wikipedia say a Film adaptation is when a novel (and I'm assuming a game or any other medium) is turned into a movie, but Literary Adaptation is when a book is turned into a play/movie/different book. So literary adaptation==film adaptation which just makes my head hurt.

So we need to decide how we define it ourselves. I think Movie tie-in for when the gmae comes from a movie, and movie adaptation for when the game spawns or inspires a movie.

#43 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
chililili said:
makes my head hurt.

So we need to decide how we define it ourselves. I think Movie tie-in for when the gmae comes from a movie, and movie adaptation for when the game spawns or inspires a movie."
My head has been hurting for a while now... Yep the way you say it is the way that i also see it.
#44 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Just to be sure:

Book or novel adaptation: Books or novels based upon a video games.

Book Tie-In: Games based upon a novel or a book.

#45 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Just to be sure:

Book or novel adaptation: Books or novels based upon a video games.

Book Tie-In: Games based upon a novel or a book."
Yes, I like how the conclusion is to leave it as it was originally.
#46 Edited by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Okay, I'm really really confused... let me see if I got it straight.

Assuming that a game like Dante's Inferno is loosely based on the Divine Comedy makes it an adaptation.
But a game like Bolt that is completely based on the movie, so therefore is a Movie Tie-In.
And what about something like Sam & Max? Is it a comic book adaptation or is it a Comic Book Tie-In?

#47 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Actually the way it is now (only for books and novels) is the other way around, this might be because we changed it a couple of times though.

current blurb: novel or book tie in

This term applies when books have been written based on a game released or on a specific franchise. Such material may be considered canon or may depict alternate events in the game's universe.

#48 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"Okay, I'm really really confused... let me see if I got it straight.

Assuming that a game like Dante's Inferno is loosely based on the Divine Comedy makes it an adaptation.
But a game like Bolt that is completely based on the movie, so therefore is a Movie Tie-In.
And what about something like Sam & Max? Is it a comic book adaptation or is it a Comic Book Tie-In?"
Ehhhh lets see.... if we would stick by what we just said Bolt would be a movie tie-in yeah.
I am not to familiar with the sam and max franchise so i dont know about that.
#49 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"Okay, I'm really really confused... let me see if I got it straight.

And what about something like Sam & Max? Is it a comic book adaptation or is it a Comic Book Tie-In?"
The first two things that you said are correct, Sam and Max, I have never player and was not aware it was a comic until yous aid so, so I have no idea.

Endogene said:
"Actually the way it is now (only for books and novels) is the other way around, this might be because we changed it a couple of times though.

current blurb: novel or book tie in

This term applies when books have been written based on a game released or on a specific franchise. Such material may be considered canon or may depict alternate events in the game's universe.

"
Yes its currently the other way, because that's how we thought it was at the beginning.
#50 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Confused here (once again) are you saying that both adaptation and tie in can be used to describe a game based on another medium depending on how truly it sticks to the medium... ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.