13 gigs needed but 20 recomended?

#1 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -

Does anyone know why you would need more space on your hard drive for the recommended settings? Is there going to be a texture pack or something? Just wondering why, I have plenty of space I just found it odd.

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Either a future texture pack, or that is the extra buffer used during the download and decryption of files, or it's just a general recommendation it's always advisable to have extra free space on your hard rive and not fill it to the absolute limit.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I just put in my CD key I got from greenman gaming and the pre-load is only 4.5 GB. Compared to the original game that's 7GB I'm kind of worried that there will be some last second major update and I will not get to play the game on time.

#4 Posted by wemibelec90 (1494 posts) -

It might be recommended space for the upcoming DLC?

#5 Posted by RedRavN (397 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

I just put in my CD key I got from greenman gaming and the pre-load is only 4.5 GB. Compared to the original game that's 7GB I'm kind of worried that there will be some last second major update and I will not get to play the game on time.

Valve has created a new compression algorythym that can make downloads much smaller. They only started using it very recently for example, darksiders 2 is a small download while the original darksiders 1 was about 9 gig. However, the game unpacks to I think about 12.5gb. Borderlands 2 should unpack to be about 15gb making it bigger in raw size than the first game.

The recommended 20 gb is for an extra 5gb of virtual address space. If you dont have enough for file swapping the game will chug and crash. I doubt that dlc space is included in any of these numbers especially since none of that content has even been created yet.

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

@RedRavN: Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

#7 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

The recommended 20 gb is for an extra 5gb of virtual address space. If you dont have enough for file swapping the game will chug and crash. I doubt that dlc space is included in any of these numbers especially since none of that content has even been created yet.

This person is correct.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.