Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Are guns now editable/mod-able?

Maybe I am just hearing/seeing things, but I thought somebody (either from Gearbox or not), mentioned that guns could be edited or modded in a limited fashion. I don't know the context or to what extent was meant, but I thought I might have heard this. Going over some of the preview details, I don't remember this being mentioned, so I might as well just ask: 

Will guns be mod-able in some form in Borderlands 2?

Wouldn't that mess up the balance of everything?

@Venatio: I could have sworn it was just minor mods and tweaks.

I think (emphasis on think) the first GI article about the game mentioned being able to enhance weapons with eridium. It won't be anything too big though. There was also an article where a gearbox guy made a comment about modifying/crafting guns not being good for the long term goal of players in the game (finding a better gun in that gun chest).

@MentalDisruption said:

I think (emphasis on think) the first GI article about the game mentioned being able to enhance weapons with eridium. It won't be anything too big though. There was also an article where a gearbox guy made a comment about modifying/crafting guns not being good for the long term goal of players in the game (finding a better gun in that gun chest).

This is absolutely true. Modding existing weapons ruins loot games. My Torchlight experience is a good example of this.

The whole weapon and armor "enchantment" mechanic really should be removed from Torchlight 2. By the time I was a little over halfway through the original Torchlight, I found a somewhat powerful crossbow that did about 270 or so damage, and it had the fastest attack speed in the game. I then proceeded to enchant the hell out of that weapon. By the time I was done, it did over 750 damage, had the best range of any weapon I'd found, did over 35 points of knock-back (which pushes enemies away, so they can't reach you), caused poison, fire, and lighting damage, and healed both my health and my magic considerably with every shot fired.

It pretty much broke the game. While the end was still somewhat challenging--and would have been crazy hard if I was just using the crap weapons that I was finding towards the end--it made every single weapon loot drop completely pointless.

The idea is supposed to be that when you enchant your weapon in town--which results in a more powerful and more useful weapon--there's always a chance that it could backfire and remove all of your current enchantments.

The thing is, who the HELL is going to just accept that and save their game with their newly ruined item? Obviously, they're going to quit the game without saving, and they're probably going to go right back in and try again. That's what I did, and it sort of ruins the idea of finding good weapons for the second half of the game.

I just started re-playing Borderlands this afternoon and it occurred to me that if I could modify my weapons, I'd have no reason to keep searching for new, better weapons along the way. Half the fun of games like this agonizing over which weapon to keep and which to sell.

@SpaceInsomniac I would. I have a hammer in Darksiders 2 that does 10k per hit because I have the crit damage and crit chance so maxed out that nothing survives a few hits. Its amazing. Why wouldn't I want that?

@Demoskinos: Eh dude, quite different systems, Darksiders2 possessed weapons are super tame in comparison to what you could do in Torchlight. One is designed within limited parameters and even when your possessed weapon was super powerfull you could always make a better one after a single level (unless you were at the cap). Whereas Torchlight enchantement completely broke the game, it was super OP and removed any need for actually looking for new loot as you jsut kept wearing the same weapon gear for like 90% of the game.

And it's kind of silly but none of this even has to do with actual modding of gear :P Both are just ingame systems of making your stuff better. Borderlands gun modding was basically god mode if you wanted it eliminating all need for finding any new loot period straight up, give yourself some OP shit and all loot is useless for the entire game type of deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.

Loading More Images