Bad AI

#1 Posted by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -
#2 Posted by Yummylee (22268 posts) -

lol that happens for me as well. Surprisingly often actually, like when I'm in the middle of a battle with a large group of bandits, if it goes on for long enough they all eventually revert back to neutral unless I carry on shooting 'em.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11650 posts) -

That's normal. Some bandits are just all talk.

#4 Posted by EuanDewar (5090 posts) -
#5 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

That's pretty funny. As long as it's not happening all that often, I'm okay with it.

#6 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

It's happened once for me. For the most part, they keep shooting at my ass.

#7 Posted by Gruff182 (872 posts) -

A couple of the Bonerfarts did that for me earlier.

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6622 posts) -

I've found that when that happens to me, a gamebreaker bug isn't far behind. I'm okay with the bugs, seeing as this is an unpatched open-world game with random variables as a key feature, but they always seem to strike at the worst times. A certain boss un-aggroed like that, and he ended up stuck in the geometry and invincible. I had to go through the entire Exploitation Preserve a second time (with everything respawned) just to fix it.

#9 Posted by BUD (7 posts) -

Happens quite a bit. You can see it in the Quick Look as well. I donno; I like the game, like the improvements, but overall this game feels a little more unpolished around the edges than the last one.

#10 Posted by tphickma (62 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

this just put me in an epic mood, forgot about this song.

#11 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Happens here and there, but the AI is certainly not broken. I'd be lucky if they didn't move so much, shooting heads is a lot more difficult when they're moving around.

#12 Posted by BUD (7 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: True dat. I find myself having to get into melee-range or closer to land a good shotgun blast, and I still end up missing half the time. I could just suck, though...

#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@BUD said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: True dat.

Tiny Tina?

#14 Posted by BUD (7 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Haven't gotten that far yet. That is definitely something these writers would make somebody say, though.

#15 Posted by JoeyRavn (5002 posts) -

@tphickma said:

@EuanDewar said:

this just put me in an epic mood, forgot about this song.

I love that song. Curiously enough, I had never seen that music video. Made my night.

#16 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Yeah the AI feels wierd sometimes. This happend in my game (less AI problems, and more just general bug)

#17 Posted by Irvandus (2885 posts) -

Clearly not remembering Borderlands 1 correctly. This sucks though, but I prefer the only occasionally broken we have now.

#18 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Careful OP, people are going to claim you're only bitching about the AI because Jeff did

Anyways, I was playing split screen yesterday and my friend stepped away for a second and when he came back i was facing him and there was a bandit standing right behind him doing nothing at all. Neither of them moved, and then my friend used his active ability (he was playing as Zero) and then quickly did a 180 and killed him. A few minutes later I came across a guy who wasn't moving at all, so I ran up right behind him and just kept melee-ing (is that a word?) him in the back until he died.

#19 Edited by NapTimeSleeper (332 posts) -

That's happened to me a few times. I don't mind it. It gives me some time for my shield to recharge.

#20 Posted by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

@Irvandus: This never happened to me in the original Borderlands, the problem I had were the bosses were so big that the environment geometry made it so they'd get stuck easily, thus I could pick them off with ease; not so much an AI problem.

#21 Edited by Yummylee (22268 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Happens here and there, but the AI is certainly not broken. I'd be lucky if they didn't move so much, shooting heads is a lot more difficult when they're moving around.

Headshots are still really easy for me to pull off. Even though the enemies exhibit a bit more dynamic movement, they still more often than not will just stand there shooting while I'm aiming down my sniper scope. Frankly the only strong complaint I have towards BL2 is its balancing issues. I like many others enjoy doing just about every quest that pops up, but in doing so has left me over-levelled and for like every quest I take on now I'm at least 2 levels higher than the opposition. This exact same problem was in the original Borderlands as well. I guess I can understand why they done it, since if you skip over a lot of the side stuff you're perhaps a little under-levelled? It's just too bad that they still couldn't quite get the right difficulty balance for the sequel.

I should probably note that I'm also playing on my lonesome, if that factors into things. Maybe working in a full group of 4, regardless of level, boosts the difficulty up enough that it's a healthy challenge.

#22 Edited by ripelivejam (4567 posts) -

i still get a lot of running straight at me. the bullymongs seem to move more dynamically like promised. all the enemies only seem to stagger when you've almost got them killed (which is a neat touch IMO).

so far the beefy shield guys seem to be the most obnoxious.

edit: game seems a lot tougher too IMO. repeated dying seems to be par for the course (i do remember one horrible segment in BL1 where you had to run down a long open area with these two uber powerful turrents gunning you down all the way. took having to use a real long range sniper rifle to wear it down)

#23 Posted by myketuna (1730 posts) -

Hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood). They still run straight ahead or sit still and start dumping (for the bigger enemies).

#24 Posted by chilibean_3 (1675 posts) -

@EuanDewar: Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about that video in a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.