Beware the Oct. 9th patch and Mechromancer DLC!!!

• 93 results
#1 Posted by BigDaddy81 (310 posts) -

A friend of mine downloaded the character and the patch and just had his badass rank reset. This particular glitch isn't exactly new, but it seems the new patch and/or DLC might be another trigger for it. After investigating the official forums it would seem he got off lucky. People are reporting losing not just badass ranks, but skins, heads, golden keys, and even their actual character saves. There are also reports of character saves getting corrupted.

No word on how widespread this issue is but I just thought I should get this info out there for anyone playing the game.

#2 Posted by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -
#3 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

I wonder if they are Nerfing the bee shield with this patch. It pretty much breaks the game.

#4 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit. How do I stop my Steam version updating? Just until I know that it's safe?

#5 Posted by White (1143 posts) -

@bibamatt: Right click Borderlands 2 > Properties > Updates > Select "Always keep this game up to date"

#6 Posted by Scottish_Sin (219 posts) -

Just updated the game on the 360 and I've had my badass rank and keys removed. Seriously pissed off.

#7 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

Great, guess I'll be playing offline.

#8 Posted by BNB82 (49 posts) -

I downloaded it and it reset my abilities, but I didn't lose anything. It was more of a free respec.

#9 Posted by ChrisTaran (1488 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up, will be sure to keep my 360 offline until this is fixed.

#10 Posted by sensory (47 posts) -

No such problems here. Everything is as it was.

#11 Posted by King9999 (604 posts) -

Does this happen on all platforms?

#12 Posted by SocialChameleon (13 posts) -

@bibamatt: If you want to keep the game from updating on Steam the only option is to not play it, unfortunately. You can stop it from auto-pulling updates passively but if an update is available and you try to play the game Steam will make you get it first. Make a backup copy I guess?

#13 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

Is this happening on PC or just 360?

#14 Posted by b0unty1234 (12 posts) -

Borderlands 2 has had the Badass rank reset/Golden Key delete bug since launch. Gearbox says it's still looking into it.

#15 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@SocialChameleon said:

@bibamatt: If you want to keep the game from updating on Steam the only option is to not play it, unfortunately. You can stop it from auto-pulling updates passively but if an update is available and you try to play the game Steam will make you get it first. Make a backup copy I guess?

Maybe turning Steam to offline mode would work?

#16 Posted by Whampire (57 posts) -

I downloaded the update last night and everything is fine.

I'm freaking out, though, that there could have been an issue. Gah.

#17 Posted by Wunder_ (1167 posts) -

Are the people facing the bug/glitch doing split screen at all?

#18 Posted by Mustachio (241 posts) -

Is everyone that's been having problems playing via Steam, or is this update out on multiple platforms?

#19 Edited by Wunder_ (1167 posts) -
@Mustachio said:

Is everyone that's been having problems playing via Steam, or is this update out on multiple platforms?

Update hasn't been pushed to Steam or PS3 I believe. Only 360. 

EDIT: But this update is releasing same day on all platforms, or that was the original plan at least.
#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Did anyone piss off claptrap?

#21 Edited by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

Kinda happy that my internet is off for a little while. I would've been extremely angry.

#22 Edited by BigDaddy81 (310 posts) -

So far I can only confirm that the 360 version is affected. I've seen some reported PC issues but I'm not sure if it's related to the patch. Haven't seen anything new regarding the PS3 version. Still, better safe than sorry.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if the PS3 patch/DLC is live yet. Can any PS3 users shed some light?

#23 Posted by Wunder_ (1167 posts) -
@BigDaddy81: There have been reported issues of badass ranks/saves being wiped since launch but most of them seem to be related to a split screen glitch. 
#24 Posted by Lukeweizer (2509 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Glad they pushed this patch a week early then, seems like it was the right move.

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

The patch hasn't been released for the PC or PS3 yet, so it's definitely only 360 for now. The PC patch will probably come later today, followed by the PS3 one tomorrow. So you might want to give it a miss for now, if you're really worried.

Assuming they don't delay those two because of this.

#26 Posted by Akrid (1346 posts) -

I'd guess that if the 360 is actually so catastrophically broken, they wouldn't go ahead and release the same messed up thing on PC/PS3. It'll probably be pulled or quickly fixed.

#27 Posted by Takaithepanda (2 posts) -

I have it on the ps3 and neither the update or mechromancer are available yet. So far I haven't had problems with my badass rank but if the patch ruins it I'll be sad.

#28 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: Why would you assume the PS3 patch is coming tomorrow? Randy Pitchford said it should be up on all platforms by the end of the day.

#29 Posted by Suits (234 posts) -

They should fix this before pushing it on PC and PS3 then.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2407 posts) -

Huh? I'm playing it on the 360 right now and my Badass rank hasn't been touched, everything is working fine on my end.

#31 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

Turned off updating for the game in Steam for now. I want to check out the Mechromancer, but not until they fix this. Going to play wait and see.

#32 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

Well this sounds like sucky news, I was actually looking forward to the update, well I stopped the automatic updating just in case

#33 Edited by TeamJersey (337 posts) -

I loaded up the patch this morning and it didn't reset anything.

So is Randy Pitchford going to give away free gold keys to all the folks who have lost theirs?

#34 Posted by Scottish_Sin (219 posts) -

Just checked my skins and heads and have also lost them as well, so yeah. Not very happy about it at all. It's just a game at the end of the day but it's still pretty gutting to lose over 7000 bad ass rank and 4 of my 5 golden keys.

I mean, I never lost my character progress completely as some have reported and as I'm at level 47 that would've been the bigger blow.

#35 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

I'm still whole over here. Maybe it's for people who have purchased/downloaded the Mechromancer DLC?

#36 Posted by NicksCorner (399 posts) -

I live in EU. My PC version just patched via Steam.

I loaded up game and everything was fine.

#37 Posted by Suits (234 posts) -

Hmm I won't let it update on Steam for now, this sounds awful.

#38 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -

I just downloaded the update on PS3 (EU).

#39 Posted by Sogeman (852 posts) -

Just downloaded it on the PS3 EU. No problems here, did back up my save and profile beforehand to be sure though ;)

#40 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

When did the patch go live?

#41 Posted by Suits (234 posts) -
#42 Posted by King9999 (604 posts) -

I grabbed the update on Steam, no problems.

#43 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -

I just did the update on ps3... and every thing is fine for me

#44 Posted by Binny (95 posts) -

I backed my characters up to my USB stick and then downloaded the updates on my Xbox 360. No issues with losing anything so far.

#45 Edited by MHumphreys89 (703 posts) -

Updated and downloaded the DLC before seeing this thread and I became freaked out... fortunately, I just checked; my Badass Ranks are still safe and sound. Woulda been a bummer if they were effected seeing how i'm still on my first playthrough.

#46 Posted by TinkoRoboto (1 posts) -

I lost my badass rank and six golden keys. Not happy at all right now.

#47 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

I put about an hour into the mechromancer before seeing this thread.

I still have my 8000+ badass rank, all my skins/heads for all my characters, and the pre-order golden key I never used. 360 version.

#48 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Everything downloaded fine on my 360. Is this wipe for some people related to the original splitscreen bug?

#49 Posted by Nev (534 posts) -

No issues after downloading and updating on 360 a few moments ago. Yay.

#50 Posted by Scottish_Sin (219 posts) -

@pweidman said:

Everything downloaded fine on my 360. Is this wipe for some people related to the original splitscreen bug?

Don't know but I haven't played split screen whatsoever and I had all my stuff reset when I got the patch today.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.