Borderlands 2 Collectors Edition, dlc character, character skins

• 51 results
#1 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Gearbox announced at their panel that Borderlands 2 will be featuring skins, unique heads, and a decal/color editor for players to customize each of the classes with. These will be earned by defeating bosses and enemies as well as completing challenges. In addition, anyone that played the first Borderlands will receive a special skin and head. I'm not sure if it was specifically mentioned, but it is possible that this is what badass points are for since those are gained by defeating tougher enemies and bosses.

Along with this news they also announced a dlc character, the Mechromancer, who will be available somewhere around 60-90 days post release. Anyone who pre-orders the game will get this character for free when she becomes available. If you don't pre-order you'll have to pay for the dlc when it makes it's appearance. Not much was said about the class as she is still mostly conceptual, but her concept art is a female who has a robotic arm, and apparently she can control a big robot named D374-TP (Deathtrap). Gametrailers compared Deathtrap to a mix of claptrap and a T-800 Terminator.

Now for the collectors edition news. It will be priced at $149.99 and will include a fairly sizeable red loot chest and a markus bobble head in addition to the game. The entire thing comes packaged within the loot chest.

Honestly I'm most excited for the character class because the Mechromancer idea has been tossed around on their forums ever since it was brought up in a gearbox survey awhile ago. It also means that they have the capability to add more classes in the future in addition to the usual dlc that they put out post-borderlands 1, which could end up being fairly interesting.

#2 Edited by Zacagawea (1614 posts) -

Will be getting the collectors edition then. Don't know how I feel about them announcing a DLC character when the game itself is months away from release. A DLC character also sound useless if it's not out on release. Who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release?

Edit: Since I keep on getting butthurt Borderlands fans responding to me I'll post my comment that I posted on this very same page:

I probably should have worded that better. Compared to how many people are going to buy Borderlands 2, the number of people who are going to play through the game again as that character, who's DLC, 3 months from release is guaranteed to be very low. Releasing it sooner or day 1 for the preorder people seems like a way better idea then waiting until the game is out, start making the character, and then releasing it.

#3 Posted by Adamsons (873 posts) -

UNIQUE SKINS. YES!

#4 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

Will be getting the collectors edition then. Don't know how I feel about them announcing a DLC character when the game is months away from release. A DLC character also sound useless if it's not out on release because who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm still playing through the first Borderlands coming up on almost 3 years after it's release. So anyone like me will definitely get plenty of use out of new characters.

#5 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -

I agree that focusing on adding to story or the variety of guns may be a better choice for DLC, but controlling something called a deathtrap sounds pretty awesome.

#6 Posted by Cogzwell (254 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

Will be getting the collectors edition then. Don't know how I feel about them announcing a DLC character when the game itself is months away from release. A DLC character also sound useless if it's not out on release because who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release? Just release story DLC.

I played through Borderlands 1 again, just last month. I think its good to support a game after release.

#7 Edited by Yummylee (22570 posts) -

Some delicious sauce to back it up.

Anywhoo, I've already preordered Borderlands 2. I may cancel it and get me one of those special editions once they've given a full reveal. And while people are going to despise the idea of Gearbox locking out a whole class character if you don't preorder (I'm not exactly thrilled either), this sort of practise is hardly anything new at this point. And by gum do I want to play me some more Borderlands regardless! Oh, and more cosmetic customisation, nice.

At least they didn't lock something that substantial behind the special edition, unlike a certain other RPG/shooter hybrid. I wonder if this additional character is here instead of the usual online pass incentive.

EDIT: Oh wait, 60-90 days??? Ah, I figured this was a day one thing.

#8 Posted by Ketchupp (668 posts) -
#9 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

Did they show off an images of the CE?

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22570 posts) -

@Barrock said:

The entire set hasn't been fully revealed yet, but here's what they gotz so far.

Though the loot box and Marcus doll head apparently don't come together; they're each tethered to a different edition. I think that box wins hands down, though <3

#11 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Some delicious sauce to back it up.

Anywhoo, I've already preordered Borderlands 2. I may cancel it and get me one of those special editions once they've given a full reveal. And while people are going to despise the idea of Gearbox locking out a whole class character if you don't preorder (I'm not exactly thrilled either), this sort of practise is hardly anything new at this point. And by gum do I want to play me some more Borderlands regardless! Oh, and more cosmetic customisation, nice.

At least they didn't lock something that substantial behind the special edition, unlike a certain other RPG/shooter hybrid. I wonder if this additional character is here instead of the usual online pass incentive.

Oh, I guess I should've mentioned in the initial post, the character isn't only for people who pre-order. It's free for anyone who pre-orders, and costs about what any dlc will cost (they didn't give a specific) for anyone who gets it later. Unless having to pay for the class is what you're talking about. If thats the case, ignore this.

#12 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1834 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

Will be getting the collectors edition then. Don't know how I feel about them announcing a DLC character when the game is months away from release. A DLC character also sound useless if it's not out on release because who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release?

Probably most people who play the game. I've played through the first BL tons of times, and still continue to do so every once in awhile. The game is designed to be played over and over, so releasing DLC characters months after the release of the original game will probably encourage more playthroughs than anything.

The CE sounds neat, too, I just hope there's more to it than what is outlined. Borderlands is one of the few games I'd be willing to be purchase a crazy collector's edition for so I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

#13 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Barrock said:

The entire set hasn't been fully revealed yet, but here's what they gotz so far.

Though the loot box and Marcus doll head apparently don't come together; they're each tethered to a different edition. I think that box wins hands down, though <3

Aww, I hate multiple Collector's Editions. Assassin's Creed III is doing something similar.

#14 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Amazon clearly has the best pre-order bonus, GOLDEN GUNS. I mean, if you're making an FPS you better put something gold in it.

#15 Edited by Zacagawea (1614 posts) -

I probably should have worded that better. Compared to how many people are going to buy Borderlands 2, the number of people who are going to play through the game again as that character, who's DLC, 3 months from release is guaranteed to be very low. Releasing it sooner or day 1 for the preorder people seems like a way better idea then waiting until the game is out, start making the character, and then releasing it.

#16 Posted by StrainedEyes (1333 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian

Amazon clearly has the best pre-order bonus, GOLDEN GUNS. I mean, if you're making an FPS you better put something gold in it.

That's an everywhere preorder bonus, they announced it awhile ago.
#17 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

I was actually kind of bummed when I read the part about unlocking something for playing the first game. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bonus content. The only problem is my save is on my Xbox and I'm planning to buy the sequel for the PS3.

Other than that, I'm trying my best to not consume that much media before B2's launch. Granted it's pretty difficult since I adored the first and everything I have seen so far has been amazing for the sequel. Like others have said, I hope there's a bit more to the collectors edition. While I've never been one to drop $150+ on one of them, Borderlands is probably the only franchise that can have me doing so.

#18 Posted by Asmo917 (422 posts) -

Actually, they announced the $99.99 version will come with the Marcus bobble head plus other stuff. The $149.99 version will have everything in the $99.99 version PLUS the red loot chest. It was unclear if there would be more extras for the edition, but the rode expensive edition will have all the content of the other one.

#19 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

@Barrock said:

@Abyssfull said:

@Barrock said:

Aww, I hate multiple Collector's Editions. Assassin's Creed III is doing something similar.

Not really into collector editions,but I might have to make an exception! Been waiting on this game for so long!

#20 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Sounds good. Loved the original, but I'm never really interested in CE's. I just need varied quests that are more than fetch quests and I'll be happy and gladly buy this

#21 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

That's a pretty nice CE box, it's just too bad it doesn't open with hydraulics, that would have instantly sold me on it.

The mechromancer looks like a very fun class too, more female characters is great. Shame she won't be coming until a month or two after release, I probably would have played as her from the get go.

#22 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

This game is going to be amazing, but thisalone, sold me.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Sweeet!

#24 Posted by Klaimore (940 posts) -

Nice just when I couldnt be even more pumped. One little thing I would love is a soundtrack to the game with all of that amazing dubstep.

#25 Posted by Cogzwell (254 posts) -

@Zacagawea: Ok I see what you mean, but RPG's and MMO's have released classes in expansions and people have gone back to play through the game again to have that character. Also, I think we all know the backlash of day 1 DLC.

#26 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Not a fan of collectors editions adding in-game items then jacking up the price with some physical-item pack in I don't give a shit about.

#27 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Klaimore said:
Nice just when I couldnt be even more pumped. One little thing I would love is a soundtrack to the game with all of that amazing dubstep.
The actual game will not have dubstep.
#28 Posted by Cogzwell (254 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: The collectors edition has no in game changes (besides some possible cosmetic options) the Mechromancer is post launch DLC that will be a free bonus for anyone that pre-orders.

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Liked some of the CE of games (Fallout3 & Arkham City) as they're not too bulky or pricy beyond the core game though just needing to get it well ahead of the release to be sure to get it but the pricing of the Borderlands2 CE or extra CE just seems a bit much for me to want. Maybe if it was a claptrap instead of Marcus it could be more convincing for me but after playing a ton of the previous one, the DLC character is the only real pulling feature for me & with it being DLC, I'd be more likely to just pay a few $ for it instead of the CE.

#30 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -
@Cogzwell said:

@SuperWristBands: The collectors edition has no in game changes (besides some possible cosmetic options) the Mechromancer is post launch DLC that will be a free bonus for anyone that pre-orders.

That's good to hear. I do plan to pick this game up but just normal edition. Can't afford crazy editions and it's nice to know I won't be missing out on any in-game content.
#31 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

Liked some of the CE of games (Fallout3 & Arkham City) as they're not too bulky or pricy beyond the core game though just needing to get it well ahead of the release to be sure to get it but the pricing of the Borderlands2 CE or extra CE just seems a bit much for me to want. Maybe if it was a claptrap instead of Marcus it could be more convincing for me but after playing a ton of the previous one, the DLC character is the only real pulling feature for me & with it being DLC, I'd be more likely to just pay a few $ for it instead of the CE.

I don't believe you have to purchase the CE to get the DLC for free. Just pre-order the regular game.

#32 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

Fucking -AWESOME-!

#33 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Reallllly want that collector's edition, but sadly it is priced way too high.

#34 Posted by MB (13134 posts) -

$149? No thanks...but the PC version is going to be HOT.

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Any info if there will be a Steam preorder?
I'm a lazy bastard.

#36 Posted by MB (13134 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: I haven't been able to determine if there will be a Steam preorder or not...but it's a Steamworks game and has achievements and Steam cloud.

#37 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Any info if there will be a Steam preorder? I'm a lazy bastard.

It's been confirmed to be using Steamworks right out of the box, right? The first one only uses Steamworks if you buy it on Steam. I'd really like to pre-order this one and get the DLC character for free, but only if I can register it on Steam.

#38 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#39 Edited by zaglis (910 posts) -

Hold on. So when Gearbox cuts a character out of the game and sells is a pre-order, it is totally okay?

#40 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -
@zaglis said:

Hold on. So when Gearbox cuts a character out of the game and sells is a pre-order, it is totally okay?

Considering that this character is currently mostly just a concept, has not been in significant production and they will start working on it full on only post release and that it will come out several months after release.
It's hardly being cut out, dontcha think?

The pre-order bonus is that you will simply get it for free after it is released later down the road, as a thanks.
#41 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -
@Tennmuerti
Ah. It kinda sounded like it is a pre-order only OR only available for purchase after those months.

But still, that is shitty and makes the character kinda worthless. Unless you are planning to level up every character to max.
#42 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -
@zaglis said:

@Tennmuerti:  Ah. It kinda sounded like it is a pre-order only OR only available for purchase after those months.  But still, that is shitty and makes the character kinda worthless. Unless you are planning to level up every character to max.

Not really.
A lot of people actually played the first Borderlands a lot, a LOT. Many months after the game came out, many have leveled several charcters.
The content DLC helped too, no doubt.
This seems catered to exactly the kind of people who would preorder Borderlands 2 instead of waiting for reviews.

How is it shitty?
If you don't care about the character, its no skin off your back, you aren't loosing anything. You don't have to buy it.
Haven knows there is plenty of DLC I don' think is worth buying for some games.
If it's shitty because it is extra DLC content you want in the original game, then every game that ever releases DLC content is therefore shitty.
#43 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -
@Zacagawea said:

Will be getting the collectors edition then. Don't know how I feel about them announcing a DLC character when the game itself is months away from release. A DLC character also sound useless if it's not out on release. Who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release?

With it being a multiplayer game I feel like that argument doesn't really apply at all. That's like asking who wants to play through Diablo II or WoW again to level another character.
#44 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

This would be a definite purchase for me if it'd support third-person view...

#45 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

Really people, compare "From Ashes" to the Mechromancer.

It's not behind a $10 paywall for everyone, there isn't any info that it was already implemented into the game(Javik could be obtained by entering two lines of code) and it's not day one. If preorder bonuses and close to release DLC is now an industry norm, I think I like how Gearbox is handling it.

#46 Posted by AlisterCat (5726 posts) -

I need a new bobble head to go with my Vault Boy.

#47 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
@Tennmuerti
@zaglis said:

Considering that this character is currently mostly just a concept, has not been in significant production and they will start working on it full on only post release and that it will come out several months after release.
It's hardly being cut out, dontcha think?

The pre-order bonus is that you will simply get it for free after it is released later down the road, as a thanks.
Even if they did cut it out, or planned it this way since day one, the important part is Is What You Get For 60 Dollars Worth It? I don't know where this idea that your 60 dollars is paying for everything that company made in the past two years.
#48 Posted by shutupndiethnx (1 posts) -

@Zacagawea: who wants to play through the game again 3 months from release? I've owned Borderlands 1 on 360, PS3, and PC still play it now over 2 YEARS from release date, and that's WITHOUT any new characters.

why would you get a collectors edition if you're over the game in a couple months?

#49 Posted by Spleenzorio (2 posts) -

Anyone know if the CE will be for PC as well? I hate when only the consoles get the collector's editions to games I'd much rather play on PC.

#50 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

@Spleenzorio: It's for all versions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.