Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Borderlands 2 steam cloud error

Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheDeadComedian

I booted the game up today and was met with an error message telling me to choose to either use the most recent saved game from the steam cloud or upload the most recent saved game from local files.

I chose local files.

No Borderlands 2 saved game. 10 hours gone to waste.

Is there anyway of recovering the damn thing? If not is there some way I can cheat my way back to where I was?

ThatDenverGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThatDenverGuy

Made an account here just to beg for somebody to find an answer to this.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

There is no answer to this, per se.

If you have overwritten your own cloud saves they are gone. (unless you made a backup, but I assume no) And the way the game handles save files has not been decrypted yet, so there is no save editor with a quest list yet. Finally you can try and get someone else to give you their save with the same progress, but this is highly unlikely unless you got a friend.

Your only real solution is to play through the starting segments again, it should be significantly faster second time around.

A general piece of advice when cloud saves desync with local saves for Steam and you get this error message is to cancel out, check where your local saves are and back them up. Then to select cloud saves when starting the game. This way you are saving both just in case.

ThatDenverGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThatDenverGuy

Alright, thanks for the help. I guess I just will bite the bullet on this one. Very unfortunate.

sackcheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sackcheck

I got the same error and chose steam cloud and same thing happen, lost about 10hrs and alot of good stuff. I allways thought steam cloud was kinda sketch and never really cared for it. Really Debbie Downer.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

This nearly happened to me once, got lucky with my local saves being properly up to date. Generally Steam Cloud works fine, the is the first time I've seen it not synconize when it should. Must be based on when they call the server sync when exiting the game...?

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I like to keep up with my game save backups using a third party app called GameSave Manager. It's pretty amazing, covers a very wide variety of game saves (um.. all of them) and is actively updated and what not. I don't have it auto backup at specific times cause honestly any scheduled actively on my PC tends to run into my random late night gaming sessions and gets annoying, but I do manually back up to my dropbox often and it's very very handy because Steam saves are so random, there is no standards and no devs seem to give a shit whether their games are via steam, or in your my games folder, or in the games dir, or in your documents under the publishers name, or under the devs name, or somewhere else crazy... every other game seems to use a unique way to save games despite there being a central area in Windows to put them, and Steam etc. anyhoo... yea.

The app's site seems to be down as of exactly right now, can't see a reason why it won't be back up in the future. No mentions on the apps twitter... so internetgypsies? iunno.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.