Borderlands 2 sucks, and microtransactions would save it.

  • 120 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#101 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

For the record this is the Skin the OP is going nuts over and calling the game crap for.

#102 Edited by TheThirdRLM (145 posts) -

I like the Borderlands single player MMO approach to gaming... mostly because I hate multiplayer and being online to play a game.

Also, I give zero effs about skins. If it were something that boosted stats or something, maybe I'd care but not enough to pay real money for. The only bummer gripe I have with Borderlands 2 is the Season Pass doesn't get you a lot of bonus stuff. But again, its mostly cosmetic stuff sooooo, who cares?

#103 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

#104 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@legion_ said:

Huh, just seems crazy to me that they ignore what the fans are saying. Between this, Aliens and Duke, I'm kinda lukewarm for Gearbox at the moment.

I wouldn't wholly blame them for Duke Nuke'em as they had to patch together some kind of game and they weren't the core developer. And for Aliens, it was a clusterfuck of a development that the publisher and multiple other developers did not handle well.

But onto the actual topic... I can kind of agree with your sentiment, but microtransactions is not the way to go. If BL2 was free-to-play, I could agree more, but since it was a $60 game at release having microtransactions is terrible. As many, including yourself, have said they have to tweak the drop rate and the way items drop, but obviously Gearbox is content with their design and are unwilling to change that part. They'll see you playing online and spending so much time to try to get that one item and they see that as a success. You're complaining, but you're still playing the game and that's what is important; That you're still playing. I'm guessing it's combination of them thinking that they are done with working on the game and that there is still healthy number of players that are playing despite these complaints.

#105 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

#106 Edited by Tennmuerti (8003 posts) -

The logical reason has actually already been pointed out in this thread. It makes the vanity item rare and more desirable, basic human psychology, by being hard to get it's perceived worth becomes greater. (you yourself a a prime example of this principle). A person either puts in the time to get it and can be rewarded for their effort. Or they become friends with someone and trade/dupe it in which case gearbox have succeeded in pulling them deeper into the game's social ecosystem just a little bit more.

Your constant amazement and failure to grasp quite simple concepts keeps piling on.

(PS: /thread is the forum equivalent of a pat on the back, so doing it for your own post is basically you patting yourself on the back and generally shows delusions of grandeur; the normally accepted and appropriate use for /thread is for agreeing with someone else's solid argument that is so good that it should end the thread; it would be appropriate for example to quote Brodehouse's post in your "psychos" topic with it)

#107 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

I'm glad you are stopping the thread then because you still don't see to get it and calling me "stupid" shows you still don't understand. Let me explain it to you:

You kill one target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot where you have a 1% chance of getting what you want.

You kill a second target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing 1% loot? Still 1%.

You kill a thousand targets in Borderlands 2 and each of them some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing something that drops 1% off of any one of those kills? Still 1%.

To put it bluntly, you went looking for a "1% drop" and didn't find it because it is a "1% drop". I'm not sure which is sillier that you think you deserve anything or that you ran to a message board whining about it.

#108 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1008 posts) -

There are worst things about BL2 than the drop rates. The fact that there are so many invisible walls that make traversing the maps a pain sometimes. Especially when items get stuck on a building that could be climbed, but NO they had to put walls on it that can't be seen. Getting stuck randomly in the geometry (one time I opened a port-o-potty chest and got stuck in front of it). Having enemies be in front of you one second and the next be transported to cover that it was never behind. Having bullets go through enemies even though you are point blank in front on them. Having scripting break for quest. For an example the "Breaking the Bank" quest in Lynchwood, every time I put the bomb down and then put the laxative on it the Skag comes out of it's hole, but instead of eating the bomb it comes after me. No matter what I do it goes after me the instead of the laxative covered bomb. Have to quit out of the game just to get the sticky bomb so I can continue the quest. I've only had that mission work right once.

#109 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

@landon said:

I didn't know Rat Thieves stole your money when I first played either, but it becomes pretty obvious when you actually kill one of them. They have "Rat" in their name and when you kill them they spew out a ton of money. After looking at your money counter and noticing it's not going up a ton, I think it's common sense that you are getting back what they took from you. I don't think they are a poor design choice, Borderlands gameplay is all about killing anything that moves, and you didn't, so you got jacked dude. And $20,000 isn't even all that much in the long run. You'll make that back before you know it.

And now that I think about it, if I were Gearbox I would rather have you grind 6 hours to get a piece of loot instead of just selling it to you for that instant gratification, getting bored now that you have nothing to work for, then selling the game. I can totally see why you would want microtransactions in this game, but I can also see why the developer would want to keep them out.

Rat Thieves were a bit flawed and even now i still think they suck for how the game is set up. Before you could barely hear them and they could run off with a good chuck of your money (i think they have added icons and sounds to notice to player now). Also anyone can pick up this stolen money and even if its a different color many who encounter them for the first time would not know. Often you pick up ammo and stuff in the chaos and end up picking up stolen money. Lastly sometime if its too much chaos your money could clip into the ground or disappear and you will lose that money forever. If they stole a couple thousands each time no big deal but when you are at the end game they can steal 50,000+ from you and having that money fall from the earth sucks pretty hard.

The OP may have been hyperbole saying the game sucks, its a great game but the drop rate are the worst i played ever. I don't trust microtransactions in a full priced game so i don't agree with that. But the drop rates for mid to high level gear is absolutely flawed when simple things take hours of farming to get. Also most of these items are linked to one enemy or even worse a boss . I'm all for playing however you wanna play and if you want your dude looking cool even if you dont see him then so be it. A game should allow a gamer these freedoms, and not make it hard for the player. It's a big problem at the end game when almost every you encounter will drop nothing but junk. I'm even being nice because i believe about halfway into the game you will get mostly garbage and maybe get some rare if your that 1% lucky.

I do agree that is flawed loot design but devs don't really mind because it means people will be playing for a long time.

#110 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

And this is why people see you as a troll.

#111 Posted by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@extomar said:

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

I'm glad you are stopping the thread then because you still don't see to get it and calling me "stupid" shows you still don't understand. Let me explain it to you:

You kill one target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot where you have a 1% chance of getting what you want.

You kill a second target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing 1% loot? Still 1%.

You kill a thousand targets in Borderlands 2 and each of them some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing something that drops 1% off of any one of those kills? Still 1%.

To put it bluntly, you went looking for a "1% drop" and didn't find it because it is a "1% drop". I'm not sure which is sillier that you think you deserve anything or that you ran to a message board whining about it.

Again, it is you who's not getting the point. A ordinary black skin, a purely cosmetic item, shouldn't have this bad of a drop rate. The put it simply, Borderlands 2 has the drop rates of a game with microtransactions, just without the microtransactions. Poor design choice.

#112 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

And this is why people see you as a troll.

Because I answer a snarky brat in the tone he deserves? Sure.

#113 Edited by pweidman (2298 posts) -

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

#114 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@pweidman said:

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

If you read the entire thread hes overly whiney about a drop rate of ONE item and thinks it should have microtransactions.

Anyone who tries to give him an answer is called stupid or a brat.

#115 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@pweidman said:

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

If you read the entire thread hes overly whiney about a drop rate of ONE item and thinks it should have microtransactions.

Anyone who tries to give him an answer is called stupid or a brat.

Well, we both know that's false. I've called one guy stupid, and I've called the same guy brat. I did that because the person in question acted like a stupid brat. He got what he deserved.

As for the microtransactions, I've time and again explained why the game would benefit from them. Seems like you're insulted by the fact that Borderlands 2 has potential for improvement.

#116 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@pweidman said:

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

If you read the entire thread hes overly whiney about a drop rate of ONE item and thinks it should have microtransactions.

Anyone who tries to give him an answer is called stupid or a brat.

Well, we both know that's false. I've called one guy stupid, and I've called the same guy brat. I did that because the person in question acted like a stupid brat. He got what he deserved.

As for the microtransactions, I've time and again explained why the game would benefit from them. Seems like you're insulted by the fact that Borderlands 2 has potential for improvement.

Because your to lazy to spend time in the game? And that is why more and more companies are putting that shit in game because people like you who are to lazy to put time into a game.

No one here agrees with you. But if you really want it go to the gearbox forums and try to trade for it.

#117 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1008 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I've seen lots of his/her threads and I don't know if he/she is genuine or is a troll.

#118 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

You are right, Borderlands 2 does suck. Big time. If you're going to make a co-op focused loot driven game at least make the combat more interesting than spraying bullets at people and using one ability from time to time.

Utter snoozefest.

#119 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@pweidman said:

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

If you read the entire thread hes overly whiney about a drop rate of ONE item and thinks it should have microtransactions.

Anyone who tries to give him an answer is called stupid or a brat.

Well, we both know that's false. I've called one guy stupid, and I've called the same guy brat. I did that because the person in question acted like a stupid brat. He got what he deserved.

As for the microtransactions, I've time and again explained why the game would benefit from them. Seems like you're insulted by the fact that Borderlands 2 has potential for improvement.

Adding microtransactions wouldn't be an improvement. It'd be a cop-out for players who don't want to spend the time to get the item regardless of what kind of item it is. As many have said, a hard to get item loses much of its prestige once it becomes "easy" to get. A cosmetic item may be seen as a badge of honor, that the player was lucky and/or patient enough to get the item.

#120 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

You don't 'fix' poor game design with microtransactions, you merely circumvent it.

#121 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

It seems a little ill-advised considering that Borderlands isn't an MMO or anything, but a dodgy drop rate on one item does not ruin a game. Even if it did, adding microtransactions seems like a clumsy fix.

Moderator
#122 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@pweidman said:

TC, you do know there are skin pack DLC's right? Forgive me if so, didn't read the whole thread. If you really want that skin, and not just arguing, make a thread on G-faqs and you'll have it one way or another in hrs. or maybe even minutes. Seriously, it's that easy. Micros yeh or neh, moot point.

And finally BL2 absolutely does not suck. I had a ton of fun in that game(400+ hrs.)and I still join games and help friends even though I'm currently on to other games.

I'm sure I'll be back too, for that D&D style DLC coming soon.

If you read the entire thread hes overly whiney about a drop rate of ONE item and thinks it should have microtransactions.

Anyone who tries to give him an answer is called stupid or a brat.

Well, we both know that's false. I've called one guy stupid, and I've called the same guy brat. I did that because the person in question acted like a stupid brat. He got what he deserved.

As for the microtransactions, I've time and again explained why the game would benefit from them. Seems like you're insulted by the fact that Borderlands 2 has potential for improvement.

Because your to lazy to spend time in the game? And that is why more and more companies are putting that shit in game because people like you who are to lazy to put time into a game.

No one here agrees with you. But if you really want it go to the gearbox forums and try to trade for it.

Again, I played it for six hours trying to get one cosmetic item. I wouldn't call that lazy. Or wait, I would, but only because I played a game for six hours straight. And of course not a whole lot of people are going to agree with me, because gamers are super conservative. If a game has the drop rates of a game with microtransactions, it should have microtransactions. People look at microtransactions as something inherently evil, but it's not.

#123 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

I'm glad you are stopping the thread then because you still don't see to get it and calling me "stupid" shows you still don't understand. Let me explain it to you:

You kill one target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot where you have a 1% chance of getting what you want.

You kill a second target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing 1% loot? Still 1%.

You kill a thousand targets in Borderlands 2 and each of them some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing something that drops 1% off of any one of those kills? Still 1%.

To put it bluntly, you went looking for a "1% drop" and didn't find it because it is a "1% drop". I'm not sure which is sillier that you think you deserve anything or that you ran to a message board whining about it.

Again, it is you who's not getting the point. A ordinary black skin, a purely cosmetic item, shouldn't have this bad of a drop rate. The put it simply, Borderlands 2 has the drop rates of a game with microtransactions, just without the microtransactions. Poor design choice.

You keep repeating the same wrong thing as if repeating makes it true.

Since you are pretty thick skulled and not thinking about it clearly I'll give you more hints: Drop rates have nothing to do with your problem. Do you know what other game has special items with rare drop rates? Torchlight. So why does Borderlands 2 need microtransactions but Torchlight does not? Or do you really want to go out on an absurd logical limb and try to argue that Torchlight needs MT or is poorly designed.

#124 Posted by Stackboy (481 posts) -

I love just playing Borderlands 2 and not worrying about what the best weapon, shield or grenade is. Just do what feels right. I've never understood farming in games.

#125 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@extomar said:

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

@legion_ said:

@extomar said:

I don't think @legion_ is lazy for looking for a ~1% chance of dropping item. I think he is a moron for doing it in such a backwards manner but it is their free time. I also suggest you never try a lottery either because clearly you don't understand what is going on.

I'll give out a hint since they can't seem to figure this out: If you are begging for a microtransaction to replace farming then you really don't have the time to farm where it doesn't matter how "lazy" you are.

Wow, you're just as stupid as your avatar implies. Again, I have nothing against loot driven gameplay, but it has to be rational. Why should a purely cosmetic, a plain looking set of clothes, be the item with the lowest drop rate in the game? There is no logical reason at all, and Borderlands 2 would benefit from having a microstransaction store if the drop rates for cosmetic items are this high.

/thread

I'm glad you are stopping the thread then because you still don't see to get it and calling me "stupid" shows you still don't understand. Let me explain it to you:

You kill one target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot where you have a 1% chance of getting what you want.

You kill a second target in Borderlands 2 and it drops some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing 1% loot? Still 1%.

You kill a thousand targets in Borderlands 2 and each of them some loot. Do you know what the chances are of seeing something that drops 1% off of any one of those kills? Still 1%.

To put it bluntly, you went looking for a "1% drop" and didn't find it because it is a "1% drop". I'm not sure which is sillier that you think you deserve anything or that you ran to a message board whining about it.

Again, it is you who's not getting the point. A ordinary black skin, a purely cosmetic item, shouldn't have this bad of a drop rate. The put it simply, Borderlands 2 has the drop rates of a game with microtransactions, just without the microtransactions. Poor design choice.

You keep repeating the same wrong thing as if repeating makes it true.

Since you are pretty thick skulled and not thinking about it clearly I'll give you more hints: Drop rates have nothing to do with your problem. Do you know what other game has special items with rare drop rates? Torchlight. So why does Borderlands 2 need microtransactions but Torchlight does not? Or do you really want to go out on an absurd logical limb and try to argue that Torchlight needs MT or is poorly designed.

I love when people can't even spell insults correctly. I believe the expression you are looking for is thick skulled. As in, it's called Torchlight, not Tourchlight, you thick skulled anime shit.

And it's not a problem in Torchlight, because the game doesn't even fucking have cosmetic items. If you still haven't figured it out, I'm purely talking about cosmetic items. Items with no stats or abilities. If I wanted to purchase a cosmetic item simply to make my character look cool, then what the fuck is the issue?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.