Does anyone know where I can find info for the Single-Player

#1 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

I really liked Borderlands and I really want to get Borderlands 2, but there was a point in the game that I just couldn't complete. The part I was at was apparently only beatable with other people and none of my friends play the games I do so I just couldn't finish it and I ended up trading it in and just watching a play through. I really wanted to finish the game myself, but I just couldn't do it. I was wondering if they were going to be putting any focus on the Single Player this year as far as making it "easier" for lack of a better term, for the people who don't usually play Co-op. I have tried googling, but all that comes up is the Co-op information. I realize that people are mainly going to play it with others, but surely they have made it a good single player experience as well?

#2 Posted by s10129107 (1182 posts) -

there is NO part of Borderlands that you can't beat on your own. I played the whole game on my own. Borderlands 2 will be the same. Better with Coop, especially if you don't wanna be bored, but not required.

#3 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

I really liked Borderlands and I really want to get Borderlands 2, but there was a point in the game that I just couldn't complete. The part I was at was apparently only beatable with other people and none of my friends play the games I do so I just couldn't finish it and I ended up trading it in and just watching a play through. I really wanted to finish the game myself, but I just couldn't do it. I was wondering if they were going to be putting any focus on the Single Player this year as far as making it "easier" for lack of a better term, for the people who don't usually play Co-op. I have tried googling, but all that comes up is the Co-op information. I realize that people are mainly going to play it with others, but surely they have made it a good single player experience as well?

The original Borderlands should be completable with any single class, although some are harder to use than others. I'd say probably Siren, Solider, Hunter, and Berserker, in order of difficulty, but that's just a guess.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who soloed Borderlands. Now, the DLC on the other hand could get insanely hard at times with some of its optional bosses. Some of that you might only be able to finish in a group, but not the main game.

I'm also fairly certain that I've heard Randy Pitchford say in an interview that he's completed Borderlands 2 as a solo player already, so I'm sure it will be possible.

What part in the original game did you end up feeling was impossible to do solo?

#4 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Crawmarex is the only part of the game I can think of that you might have had trouble with on singleplayer, and that was designed as a near impossible boss fight, even with multiple people.

I played through the entire of the first game, except for that fight, on singleplayer and enjoyed it a lot. I plan on doing the same for the second, before jumping over to the co-op.

#5 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac: To be honest, it was so long ago, I can't remember. I think I was maybe 3/4 of the way through the game, but that's about it.

#6 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the game. I liked it a lot, in fact. I just got stuck on one part and just stopped playing. I was just asking because I heard someone say that the Single Player wasn't going to be a huge focus this year and I wanted to confirm they were going to focus on Single Player, at least a little bit

#7 Edited by believer258 (11776 posts) -

If you're playing Borderlands 1 solo, you should be doing it as the Soldier class. Come to think of it, the classes seem a bit unbalanced, with the soldier class having the ability to be the class Medic as well as a really good killing machine.

EDIT: All right, I guess I'm wrong about that one. Whatever.

#8 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@believer258 said:

If you're playing Borderlands 1 solo, you should be doing it as the Soldier class. Come to think of it, the classes seem a bit unbalanced, with the soldier class having the ability to be the class Medic as well as a really good killing machine.

Berserker gets borderline OP once you get him up into the higher levels. Played through my first two playthroughs as him.

#9 Edited by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the game. I liked it a lot, in fact. I just got stuck on one part and just stopped playing. I was just asking because I heard someone say that the Single Player wasn't going to be a huge focus this year and I wanted to confirm they were going to focus on Single Player, at least a little bit

They are focusing on making sure the game is fun single player as much as they are with co-op. In the first game it's practically the same experience regardless of if you have people in a group or not. The only thing you miss out on by playing single player is joking around and making memories with friends. Whoever said that they aren't going to focus on single player as much doesn't know what they're talking about.

@zombiebigfoot said:

@believer258 said:

Berserker gets borderline OP once you get him up into the higher levels. Played through my first two playthroughs as him.

Pretty much all the classes get borderline op when you get them to higher levels. I've never understood the soldier fixation here at giantbomb. He has the most natural utility and flexibility, but from what I've seen and experienced, Lilith is way easier for new players to push into the op zone than Roland, Brick, and Mord.

#10 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

Single-player and co-op are one and the same, co-op just has more players!.

#11 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

I played the hell out of the game, and I never played it with another person. I beat all the dlc, including crawmerax on my own. If you were lilith, it was farmable.

#12 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

Dammit, you guys are making me feel inadequate by your ability to complete Borderlands....

And the sad part is I'm only partly joking

#13 Edited by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116: Don't feel bad, but you should go back and try! If you figure out what part you got stuck on and what build and gear you're using, we could give you some advice.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

There's no 'right' class to solo Borderlands as. I think you're missing out if you always make a beeline for whatever seems like the most powerful / most efficient class in a game. You aren't competing against anybody; play whatever seems appealing / interesting. Switch things up occasionally.

#15 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

I played Borderlands 2 pretty much on my own and there was no part I couldn't finish. Maybe you were using the wrong class but even then you should still have been able to finish it. Anyway all info on the game can be used for both single players and co-op players

#16 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

borderlands is completely beatable with any character with any amount of players (up to 4, of course)

if you are having trouble beating it make sure you dump enough points in health, shield and damage upgrades

#17 Edited by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I played through the game with a Hunter and a Siren without any problems. With a Hunter you mostly stay far away and because of that some encounters are more difficult than others. You also have to get a lot of head shots so actual aiming ability is a lot more important.

Siren is ridiculously powerful with all the crazy elemental damage she can do with SMG's and shotguns and then just turn invisible and heal... I haven't played as a Soldier but it's hard to believe he could be more powerful than the Siren. I could be wrong.

#18 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@MentalDisruption: I think I will! I'm pretty sure I have my old save and it's so cheap nowadays.

#19 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2272 posts) -

I kind of disliked it in co-op, it made all the enemies take way more damage. I understand why they did it and everything, but I like my one-shot kill weapons when I play solo and it just isn't satisfying dropping an entire magazine into a dude point blank only for him to still not die.

Though the Underdome DLC HAD to be done in co-op.

#20 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

@MentalDisruption: I think I will! I'm pretty sure I have my old save and it's so cheap nowadays.

You could also get the GOTY edition and have all the DLC to play as well. Then again, if you think you might get tired of the gameplay, it might be best to skip replaying the first game, and wait for the second. I'd guess that it will be much more of a "fresh" experience that way.

If you do re-buy the original, let us know where you got stuck.

#21 Posted by JoeyRavn (4962 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Heh, I did it all by myself. The higher waves aren't terribly difficult, but the whole DLC is boring and repetitive as fuck. And it's completely pointless to do it, because you don't get EXP and the weapon drops are pathetic... Definitely one of the worst pieces of DLC ever made. Truly a shame, because Borderlands is amazing.

#22 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Heh, I did it all by myself. The higher waves aren't terribly difficult, but the whole DLC is boring and repetitive as fuck. And it's completely pointless to do it, because you don't get EXP and the weapon drops are pathetic... Definitely one of the worst pieces of DLC ever made. Truly a shame, because Borderlands is amazing.

Thank goodness they're already saying that you DO get EXP in the GameStop exclusive pre-order DLC Creature Slaughter Dome. The Dome will also be available for anyone to download at a later date. No word on pricing.

#23 Posted by ThatIndianGuy7116 (253 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac: For right now I think I'll get the GOTY edition and give this game another go. I really liked this game and I haven't played it in a while so maybe that'll be fresh enough for me to hop back in. I just have like 3 other games I have to get through lol

#24 Edited by Peanut (953 posts) -

Playing Borderlands alone seems like the absolute worst thing ever. Playing Borderlands with friends is among the greatest experiences I've ever had. "IT'S LAK CHRISMUS!" is a running gag in my circle. That being said, I never saw any difference between single player and co-op in terms of content or polish or anything. They're the exact same thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.