Doubtful that I'll buy this...

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Nodachie (77 posts) -

For the past few years I have had a keen sense on what games to buy. This is probably my lengthy history of game research and love of GB. I have had good feelings about the Souls games, Fallout and even Borderlands. Purchased them without even glimpsing at a review. Now this game is coming and I do not have that same sense about it...maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it wont be all that great.

What do you think?

Do you have that same "sixth game sense"?

#2 Edited by Slag (4225 posts) -

@Nodachie: I guess my "sixth game sense" must be broken then.

I was thinking about buying this to play co-op with old buds and I didn't even consider buying borderlands 1.

#3 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

I don't have a sixth sense, but I will do a lot of research before I buy a game, and I'm almost never sorry that I did. LA Noire was my last purchase that ended up a massive disappointment, and I can't even think of one before that.

With that said, Borderlands was my favorite game of 2009, and I'm seriously anticipating the sequel.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

I have that sense as well but mine is better than yours so I'll be getting Borderlands 2 day one.

#5 Posted by Portis (1286 posts) -

I just buy games I'm interested in, and don't buy games I'm not interested in. Don't really care about reviews at this point, I don't even read them.

#6 Edited by MB (12207 posts) -

You should buy this. It's the best game I've played in possibly years. It's everything you loved about Borderlands and more, less of the things you didn't like, but more polished. I've put about 25 hours into it so far and can't wait to play more.

For anyone that enjoyed the first game, Borderlands 2 is a must buy.

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I just buy what I think I'll like the most. I loved Borderlands, so more of it is a good thing.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@MB said:

You should buy this. It's the best game I've played in possibly years. It's everything you loved about Borderlands 2 and more, less of the things you didn't like, but more polished. I've put about 25 hours into it so far and can't wait to play more.

For anyone that enjoyed the first game, Borderlands 2 is a must buy.

Pshh don't bother me with things like "time spent playing the game" and "informed opinions". I use my sixth gaming sense in conjunction with the zodiac and a modified magic eight ball to determine all of my gaming purchases.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7074 posts) -

I'm doubtful "sixth senses" exist and have seen extensive footage of this game and all signs point to it being great from my perspective.

#10 Edited by bybeach (4775 posts) -

I understand what you mean. You kind of have a sense a game be good. I was getting this over Sleeping Dogs. But i have this for Borderlands 2 also. why..nothing really spooky, I listen to other ppl. opinions and such, especially some I think are on the level, and that is where that feeling of credidbility comes in. Something rings some kind of tone. Good or bad. That plus some other indicators..you get a feel.

Only thing about really negative about Borderlands 2 I've gotton so far was MB(ask me me anything thread) didn't like the difficulty of the go-at -it alone SP. Thats exactly how I want to play, with the commando he was using. Maybe not so many points into turret..or some such. IDK big time. Made my ears pick up tho'. And I understood that one question about the thumper smg, I didn't like them either in the long run...

preordered and preloaded, I will find out.

#11 Posted by Nodachie (77 posts) -

@MB: "For anyone that enjoyed the first game, Borderlands 2 is a must buy."

Alright, you've convinced me. Just peeked at your previous forum and reading that has won me over.

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

Getting vibes of varying accuracy over future game releases: Terrible Superpower #3965.

#13 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

To be honest I would wait for at least a little while until the 'Wow new game!!' buzz in the press and opinions of everyone who buys it dies down so you can hear some legitimate/realistic critiques. A popular example of this is what happened with Skyrim. It seems like everyone on the internet was positively jizzing themselves in delight over Skyrim when it first came out. It took months for the hype to die down and for people to realize that it's the same game Bethesda has been making since the 90's. Same shitty combat, same NPCs with buckets of dialogue that you usually have to skip through to get to their transparent fetch quests. Not to start a rant over TES, but yea, I would wait.

#14 Posted by Disco_Steak (6 posts) -

It's currently pre-loaded on my PC and I wish time would move faster! It's right there, teasing me! I am so stoked!

#15 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I do have a sense when I want to play a game, but know I probably won't like it. I had it before the first Borderlands, and bought it anyway. And I was right: it didn't really suit me. I've had it with other games as well, and I'm almost always right. Other games I never have much issue: just about any game from Bethesda or Bioware, for instance. I'll like them well enough. I'm starting to get that same warning tingle with Dishonored, so I'm going to hold off on it for reviews. On the other hand, I didn't hesitate much to pre-order XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Then again, I've been playing video games for thirty years, so I'd better have a good idea by now about what I'm likely to enjoy and what I'll dislike.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -

Buy games that you want to play.

If you don't feel like playing a game, then don't buy that game.

If and when you do feel like playing a game, buy that game.

That's about the all the sense you need.

It's fine to run hot and cold on things, if you're feeling cold on something right now, play one of the other thousands of other games around and maybe you'll warm up to it later, or get it on a Steam Sale.

#teamsteamsummersale

#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

My gamer's instinct made me buy Borderlands in store a week after release, and I didn't know a single thing about it.
Its one of the best games I ever played, so they got me hooked for 2 and even if its remotely like 1 I'll be happy.

#18 Posted by l4wd0g (1931 posts) -

I love the first one and everything being said about 2 has me sold. Sold twice actually. I'll be playing it in 17 hours on Steam and again on my 360 (because different friends have different systems). My poor wallet.

#19 Posted by Humanity (9025 posts) -

I've noticed my 6th sense is often just misguided anticipation. In retrospect SSX wasn't the greatest full price purchase. Guild Wars 2 I thought was going to be awesome but it turned out to be just a typical mmo experience.

I'm torn on Borderlands 2 because I didn't really enjoy the first one that much but the the sequel is looking pretty good and this time around I'll have people to play with,

#20 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

I hardly buy games anymore because I'm constantly afraid of buyer's remorse. Also I didn't really enjoy the first Borderlands that much.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

@Nodachie: Glad you changed your mind and will check out the ol Borderlands 2.

Remember that our "sixth sense" isn't always pure, as advertising, unrelated emotions and sense of security, and broader media and social factors influence its direction. We may feel that we are always autonomous, but we must remember that part of that sense of autonomy is misguided. We are part of this world, and it does actively flow in and out of us. We can't always trust that our inklings truly represent the best for us and not just what the world around us may make us feel is the best for us.

Anyway, beyond the more philosophical statement, I hope you enjoy being awesome and blowing up shit in Borderlands 2.

#22 Posted by l4wd0g (1931 posts) -
#23 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

Well you had that "sense" about Fallout (and I assume you mean Fallout 3), so I don't trust you at all, that game is one of the most overrated games in a long long time.

I didn't like Borderlands that much, but 2 looks like it is going to be great.

#24 Posted by alternate (2694 posts) -

It isn't a mystical sense, you just know which genres you enjoy. Prat

#25 Posted by Prymet1me (99 posts) -

pre ordered and pre loaded on my pc OP

#26 Edited by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

@MB said:

"It's everything you loved about Borderlands and more"

They need to put this on the back of the box.

#27 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Not being into Borderlands is a sixth sense? I have the shittiest super power ever.

#28 Posted by Wraxend (560 posts) -

With so many games that come out and at £40/$60 I always pay close attention to GBs thoughts as they normally line up with my gaming taste. Hell I played the Asura's Wrath demo and didn't care for it but after listening to many podcasts with them going on about I decided to pick it up... And loved the whole experience! And because of this I trust GB and when they said that they didn't need to play Bordrlands2 at E3 because they just knew it was gonna be good well I believed them and slapped down my Pre-order there and then.

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

I also have the super human ability to tell what games are fun. I call it "Emotion."

#30 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

@Nodachie said:

For the past few years I have had a keen sense on what games to buy. This is probably my lengthy history of game research and love of GB. I have had good feelings about the Souls games, Fallout and even Borderlands. Purchased them without even glimpsing at a review. Now this game is coming and I do not have that same sense about it...maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it wont be all that great.

What do you think?

You know what you like. If you're not feeling it, don't buy it. Good call. Better not waste money.

I try to avoid purchasing sequels to games I love if I've lost interest. (eg. loved Arkham Asylum, don't even have the slightest interest in Arkham City, ditto for Rock Band 2 vs Rock Band 3/Blitz)

#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4962 posts) -

I'm so fucking hyped about this game that I pre-ordered the Vault Hunter Edition. Love me some Marcus bobbleheads.

@Dagbiker said:

I also have the super human ability to tell what games are fun. I call it "Emotion."

You intrigue me. What is this feeling you humans call... love?

#32 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I really liked the first game for its charm and gun personality, but there's no escaping that you're playing a "pull L-trigger, pull R-trigger, dump on these guys" while kickin it with friends, grind game. Borderlands 2 seems to have kept the original's agenda and naturally improved on certain issues, but the feedback loop is too apparent and eventually feels monotonous. Gonna wait on playing it with so many other games competing for my attention this fall.

#33 Posted by project343 (2816 posts) -

All IGN could muster up was the lack of improved driving controls and FFA loot. Those are super minuscule complaints. Your sixth sense is broken.

#34 Posted by Cogzwell (234 posts) -

I actually do have this sixth sense, I felt it about Rage, Brink, and Homefront, and also Damnation but that wasn't hard. I think this game is going to be great, even if its not a massive improvement on the first, more of it is still good.

#35 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -

Not sure if I have a "sixth sense" about video games — but my quija board told me to buy it.

#36 Posted by Wacomole (816 posts) -

My sixth sense tell me that I'll be able to pull the trigger on my controller and "see dead people" (and robots, skags and rakks). Lots of them. Exploding, melting, burning.... oh, the screams.. bwahahahahaha! Ahem. er...Sold.

I practically ignored the first game as I was not really feeling the art style and kept thinking "I'll get it during a sale". Then Sony put it up for free on PS+ recently and I've been playing it ever since and enjoying the ever-loving hell out of it.

So yes, I'll be buying the next one. It may just take me while to get around to actually playing it as I've still got all the first game's DLC to play through.

#37 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

I liked Borderlands, but it felt like artificial fun to me. More like it was pumping endorphines into my brain than actually stimulating me in any way. Luckily, the co-op really saved it. I played through it three times with different friends. I don't think im ready to climb back on that treadmill for 2, though.

#38 Posted by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

My senses tell me that I won't be doing anything but Borderlands 2 for quite some time.

#39 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

My senses tell me that I won't like Borderlands 2 since I didn't like Borderlands.

That's just my senses though!

#40 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

No sixth sense, just the lingering disappointment of them playing it safe with the skill trees.

#41 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Nodachie said:

What do you think?

Reviews so far have been fantastic. By the same token, early reviews must be taken with lots of salt.

I'm really excited about it. I also don't think that your so-called sixth-sense is just decent marketing of a solid product by the companies involved.

#42 Posted by wardcleaver (172 posts) -

That is awesome the you have a sixth sense, although it must be annoying to see dead people all the time.

I put in probably close to 100 enjoyable hours on the first game, so getting B2 is no-brainer.

#43 Posted by Slag (4225 posts) -

@Nodachie said:

@MB: "For anyone that enjoyed the first game, Borderlands 2 is a must buy."

Alright, you've convinced me. Just peeked at your previous forum and reading that has won me over.

damn straight dude. props for being open to new info

IMHO better decisions are always made with adequate information.

#44 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I just didn't like the quest structure or the weapons in Borderlands 1. I got bored. It felt like an MMO, and I'm sick of MMO quests. Anyways, glad people are liking it. I'm going to rent it.

#45 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

I love the direction this thread took.

#46 Posted by shway (176 posts) -

I bet it'll be alright, that said I'm not buying it due to the fact im prab ganna play some wow panda edition and halo 4 soon enough. (aka) I'll just be throwing money away

#47 Posted by ozzdog12 (859 posts) -

@Portis said:

I just buy games I'm interested in, and don't buy games I'm not interested in. Don't really care about reviews at this point, I don't even read them.

Kinda this, I'll skim over them

#48 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Well you had that "sense" about Fallout (and I assume you mean Fallout 3), so I don't trust you at all, that game is one of the most overrated games in a long long time.

Serious question, what makes Borderlands 2 so different that you think this looks great even though you didn't like the first one that much? General consensus seems to be that this is an awesome game for people who liked the first one, but it will not change your mind if you didn't.

#49 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I'm not really feeling it tbh

#50 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@Village_Guy said:

Serious question, what makes Borderlands 2 so different that you think this looks great even though you didn't like the first one that much? General consensus seems to be that this is an awesome game for people who liked the first one, but it will not change your mind if you didn't.

That is a great question but I'm not sure I can answer it. First of all I would mention the visuals, as I didn't like them that much in the original Borderlands (too much brown, not enough color). Secondly the guns got too repetitive too fast, which people who have played Borderlands 2 say is much better. Thirdly there wasn't really a class that fit my playstyle to well in the original Borderlands, whereas in Borderlands 2 the Gunzerker seems more appropriate for my playstyle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.