early release ??

#1 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

So I saw the story on gamespot that gearbox is done with borderlands 2 and they sent it to cert. So this brings up the question of how long it takes a AAA game like this to go through certification? and how early do games usually finish before they come out? Borderlands comes out sept 18, which is nearly 2 months away. So is there anyway the game comes out early? There is a real lack of games between now and than (sleeping dogs, darksiders, guild wars). Now I know there is no way this is going to happen but I have very little play till than and was just hoping.

#2 Edited by mikey87144 (1737 posts) -

@BoFooQ said:

...I know there is no way this is going to happen...

Getting certified and release date are only tied to the deadline in which the dev has to work on the game that's being shipped to consumers. Release dates are usually finalized months in advance to avoid competition with other games and to also alert other studios as to when they should release their game.

#3 Posted by kingofpeanuts (479 posts) -

No the game won't come out early.

#4 Posted by believer258 (11808 posts) -

The release date is pretty much set in stone at this point. No, you're not getting it early.

#5 Posted by BigDaddy81 (320 posts) -

At the end of the day it's the publishers who have the final word on when a game is to be released. They had their reasons for dating the release in September and I don't see them changing their minds. Just be happy the game will (hopefully) release on time and not get pushed to next year like every other fucking game that isn't Call of Duty.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I think certification time varies.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

Cert time doesn't really matter. They don't release games early because they build a marketing campaign around a launch date, and they have to stick to the date because otherwise investors get ornery.

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

It does seem a little early, but not by too much. There wouldn't be much point bringing the release date forward by a week or two because you finished slightly early when you already have a marketing campaign focused on that date. Games are always finished well before the release date. That's why Day 1 DLC is a thing - there is more than enough time between the game being complete and it's release to produce more content.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

Personally, I like the idea that they can focus in on making some DLC. Sure, i'd love to have Borderlands 2 in my hands right effin' now, but if it means more quality stuff later on down the road, I'm perfectly okay with that.

#10 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: Mechromancer on day one would be pretty cool, I'm super interested to see how a minion master works in Borderlands.

#11 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Agreed! Between that and the gunzerker, I'm really intrigued.

#12 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I don't think it will happen, but it's certainly not unheard of.

#13 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw: I'm going to be going Axton for my first character. Mostly just because I want to play what worked in the last game to see how it has changed. May switch to Zer0 partway through. I'll definitely get all the "try this class and get an achievement" achievements, and then I'll probably go from there.

Where's the thread/steam group for this game? Do I have to start it? Should I just do a general MP duders thread?

#14 Posted by Cogzwell (238 posts) -

We're not getting it early because they've already spent so much time marketing the date and publishers work with them to expect release dates. Technically they CAN release it early, but because the way the business works it will be released on schedule, 2 months from now. Write to your local congressman...

#15 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1324 posts) -

Games are finished before they release, ideally. Passing each individual systems cert system takes time, as does printing the discs and shipping those out to stores. It's not uncommon for a developer to announce when a game has gone 'gold' or is RTM (released to manufacturer) which all mean the game is done cert and onto pressing the discs, usually weeks away from release.

So in short, yes borderlands is releasing early. In fact it's already released, what the fuck are you doing reading this go and get your copy now! ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.