Gamestop Midnight Launch

#1 Posted by benitobb (289 posts) -

Went to my local Gamestop, which I haven't been to in years since I always buy through Amazon, and holy shit was their midnight launch horrible. Dumb Borderlands trivia questions for promotional boxes and other trash, which was actually better than listening to a group of 20 something year old dudes talk about Pokemon and throw up random internet jargon and memes. I'm nerdy enough to go to a midnight launch, which was the first I've been to since GTA 4 and only my second, but man, I felt so embarrassed to be part of this culture of ours in that half hour. Great game though so far.

#2 Posted by Mr_Misery (257 posts) -

@benitobb said:

listening to a group of 20 something year old dudes talk about Pokemon and throw up random internet jargon and memes.

I found this hilarious because that is my experiance each time I go to Gamestop. A couple of weeks ago there were a bunch of beared men debating very loudly which generation of Pokemon were the best. I thought fuuuuuck I don't want to come here anymore.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Mine was hilarious. My cities sheriff is apparently a fan of the game and was there to pick it up. Some moron hit his parked car while trying to park. A few minutes later the same moron was trying to leave and hit another car on his other side while backing up. He did not stay and 350 people all read his plate number. Didn't matter because the goddamn sheriff already had his details. Funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

#4 Edited by White (1304 posts) -

Which is why when entering any store, one's ears should always be plugged with loud music. The only time the music stops is when, for 30 seconds, you have to interact with the cashier.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ours was great. A girl who worked their had her boy friend deliver pizza and we had dinner. The manager himself all most fell off a ladder.

#6 Posted by j3ffro919 (242 posts) -

I went to a midnight launch of NCAA football a few years ago when I lived in Tempe, which is near ASU. The line was out the door, and I've never seen so many guys ashamed to be at a GameStop at midnight. They all had a look of "please don't talk to me or recognize me" the entire time.

#7 Posted by musclerider (587 posts) -

I got to my GameStop at 10 PM yesterday, played the game for an hour and met some really nice people. 

#8 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1947 posts) -

I didn't know midnight launches varied in quality that much! I still have yet to go to one but feel like I should experience at least one in my life.

#9 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1377 posts) -

@benitobb: I did it a few times before, but never again for the same reasons you have stated. I'm patient, so I can wait to pick up games the next day or week. If I am still up, and have cash to burn, I just head to Walmart and get that shit over with (the one I go to normally have their big-release games on shelves by 11:45 pm).

#10 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

I went to the midnight launch of Skyrim, it was packed to the gills at the Gamestop by my house, but it was cool, waited in line around 15 minutes and got my game. Took my then 11 year old son with me, and he thought it was amazing, lol.

It was the first midnight launch I'd been to since the Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor launch.

#11 Posted by iTWAN (45 posts) -

My Midnight release was pretty mundane but I got there at 11:55pm. Only had to wait ten minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.