Have you found any good items from Lvl 50 Golden Chests? I havent

#1 Posted by MB (13116 posts) -

I saved up all my Golden Keys until I hit 50 and used them all at once hoping for some really nice items. I ended up with a bunch of vendor trash...most items were either downgrades or marginal side-grades with downsides that I couldn't live with. Twice in a row I got two pairs of useless sniper rifles...then twice I got two pairs of E-Tech SMG's with no elemental or special effects that I will probably never use.

I've used six Golden Keys in all, all at Level 50 with the Vault Hunter's Relic equipped, and no luck. What has been your experience at 50 with the Golden Chest in Sanctuary? Back to farming the final boss!

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12416 posts) -

=( that sucks, I'm level 28 at the moment and I was planning on waiting as long as possible until opening the chest. Maybe I should just go for it now =\

#3 Posted by bushpusherr (850 posts) -

Level 41 here, and was planning on saving mine until level 50 as well. Perhaps I'll just go ahead and hang on to them until they release DLC that upps the level cap and go then haha

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12416 posts) -

Wait, can you open the chest, then alt-f4 if you get something crappy and then restart the game?

#5 Posted by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@BeachThunder: It takes the key away as soon as you use it and saves it. If you quit without picking up the weapon you still lose the key (and weapon). Decided to test that for kicks after I got a 5-key code.
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I'm level 23 and I've only had one golden key, no idea how I got it. How do you get those?

#7 Edited by Zaccheus (1805 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm level 23 and I've only had one golden key, no idea how I got it. How do you get those?

Everyone gets one at the beginning of the game. They don't drop and the only way to get more is to get codes for them (from twitter for example).

#8 Posted by wemibelec90 (1833 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

Everyone gets one at the beginning of the game. They don't drop and the only way to get more is to get codes for them (from twitter for example).

Technically, only preorders got a free Golden Key.

#9 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah just go and grind the hell out of (mini) bosses. Only they have a chance to drop legendary items. Also do the grinding on playtrough 2.5 if you want your legendary loot to be all level 50. Anyway here's a list.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (12416 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You know, it would be great if you could buy keys with eridium (maybe 30 per key?). As it stands, eridium just becomes more and more useless as the game progresses.

#11 Posted by MikeFightNight (1117 posts) -

I had the same plan! Was saving my golden key for level 50, but then I got a few from gearbox twitter redemptions. So I used one at level 30 and got some sweet gear, better then most of what I had. Maybe you just got bad luck? Also seems like gearbox will be giving away some more time release keys this weekend on twitter.Follow Randy Pitchford!

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

@Zaccheus said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You know, it would be great if you could buy keys with eridium (maybe 30 per key?). As it stands, eridium just becomes more and more useless as the game progresses.

Hey man don't talk shit about my Eridium those babies help me raise my ammo cap! I just jam the Eridium bits into my ammo pouches and they get bigga!
#13 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

My understanding was that the loot in the golden chest was, at best, going to be purple. 

So upon reading around, the general consensus was that it wasn't really worth waiting until level 50. The sweet spot for finding good loot in the chest is apparently at the end of your first playthrough or the beginning of the second. 

I have 3 keys and ill probably use 1 at the end of PT1 and then the other two at the start of PT2

#14 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

@hbkdx12: I would suggest waiting until PT2 for all of them. I don't know if this is universal but speaking from personal experience I can tell you that I had some pretty sweet gear at the end of PT1 and it became obsolete VERY quickly in PT2. Had mostly purple weapons and mods and most were around the level I beat PT1 on (33 or 34 I think). Got about 2 missions into PT2 and all of it was scrapped for whites and greens.

#15 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@BigDaddy81: Sweet. Thanks for the heads up. will do
#16 Posted by Law313 (110 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@Zaccheus said:

I got one just for buying the game from PSN digitally.

#17 Posted by mosespippy (4449 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Wait, can you open the chest, then alt-f4 if you get something crappy and then restart the game?

People who tried a similar thing on consoles got fucked. It saved after using the key and they quit out having not saved the loot but after wasting the key.

#18 Edited by White (1410 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Yeah just go and grind the hell out of (mini) bosses. Only they have a chance to drop legendary items. Also do the grinding on playtrough 2.5 if you want your legendary loot to be all level 50. Anyway here's a list.

Playthrough 2.5?! Meaning I gotta start a THIRD game?!

How can I possibly get through playthrough 2.5 if all the mobs are now hitting for like 8k damage per bullet?

On top of that, I've already bought all the Eridium unlocks. I remember there's a story quest that asks you to spend some Eridium to progress through the story.

#19 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@White said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

How can I possibly get through playthrough 2.5 if all the mobs are now hitting for like 8k damage per bullet?

On top of that, I've already bought all the Eridium unlocks. I remember there's a story quest that asks you to spend some Eridium to progress through the story.

Nope, you just have to complete the second playthrough and everything scales to level 50 which is basically playthrough 2.5. Including quests you didn't start yet. So on the second one don't take any quests with unique rewards until you defeat the Warrior. Borderlands had a similar mechanic if i remember correctly.

As for how to get through the mobs...I hope you're a sniper.

#20 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@Zaccheus said:

Nope. You get one for signing up to Shift as well.

#21 Posted by Marino (4763 posts) -

I'm at 38 and sometimes it's something great and sometimes not. We got a 50000+ damage rocket launcher, then opened it again and got some slightly above average class mods.

/shrug

Staff
#22 Edited by White (1410 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@White said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Nope, you just have to complete the second playthrough and everything scales to level 50 which is basically playthrough 2.5. Including quests you didn't start yet. So on the second one don't take any quests with unique rewards until you defeat the Warrior. Borderlands had a similar mechanic if i remember correctly.

As for how to get through the mobs...I hope you're a sniper.

Ima Siren. Spec'd to cataclysm... With an SMG... Does that count?

And as for the quest rewards thing. Do I have to beat the Warrior first or can I just start redeeming them after I hit 50? Or must I not even accept the quest in the first place?

I've already taken up a few quests with blue/purple rewards but I have yet to turn them in.

#23 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@White: You need to wait until you defeat him before you take the quests, any you've already got won't scale the rewards.

#24 Posted by White (1410 posts) -

@Hitchenson: Crap... That sucks.

#25 Posted by golguin (4045 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

@White: You need to wait until you defeat him before you take the quests, any you've already got won't scale the rewards.

So you have to avoid every side quest to make them scale to 50? What happens if you're in another person's game and they pick up quests with you in them or they're in you're world and they start accepting quests?

#26 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

If you really want to cheat post-patch, the only way I know is to abuse how the game saves your inventory. I'll put it in a spoiler tag, so anyone who doesn't want to know how to cheat doesn't have the temptation. I haven't tried this method, but I saw people claiming it works. And it's a good way to backup your character in case you get that nasty stat-swiping bug.

You see, all the items and stats you have are split between two different files: a proper save per character (which has your current inventory and skill set) and a profile-wide "profile.bin" (which stores things like Badass Ranks, shared inventory and, yes, Golden Keys). If you go to My Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\(random number), you'll see an individual .sav for every character you have and the profile.bin file. Simple make a copy of that file to somewhere secure, boot up the game, use the keys, loot the chest. It's important that you keep those weapons in your inventory (not stashed in the bank or Claptrap's chest). When you're done, quit the game, go back to the Borderlands 2 folder in My Documents, replace the profile.bin with the copy you made before and, voila. Your Golden Keys are restored.

Again, I haven't tried this exploit and I don't know if it (still) works. Anyone is free to try with something less valuable than a Golden Key (earning a Badass Rank, for example) and confirm or deny the authenticity of this method :) I won't, because I'm legit, yo.

#27 Posted by Undeadpool (4997 posts) -

The only thing stopping me from using it now is that I JUST got a badass assault rifle and shotgun. But my other two main guns are very "eh."

#28 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@golguin said:

@Hitchenson said:

So you have to avoid every side quest to make them scale to 50? What happens if you're in another person's game and they pick up quests with you in them or they're in you're world and they start accepting quests?

Yeah, leave all side quests until you're in "2.5". And if other people were to do that, then you're boned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.