High PhysX versus Medium PhysX?

#1 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

As this is related to PhysX, we're obviously talking about the PC version here.

So I've been dinking around with the physics in this game and have been flipping back and forth between Medium and High, and other than a 5-8 frame drop on High, I can't really see a difference between the two. So does anyone know what gets added when you're running High PhysX? I can't find anything about this anywhere.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

My guess is ragdoll, item dropping, and perhaps jumping. But I cant really tell you for sure.

#3 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

high physx is on the GPU and medium/low physx is on the CPU

#4 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@Zidd said:

high physx is on the GPU and medium/low physx is on the CPU

Thank you! That explains the framerate hit when I turn it up to High. Do you know if there are any changes made to how physics in the game behave when the GPU handles it rather than the CPU?

#5 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: cloth and fluid simluations, and particles are reduced so that it doesn't use too much CPU.

#6 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

Most PhysX enabled games run hardware accelerations through the CPU, but in some games with high PhysX fidelity options the simulations & calculations will be done through the GPU & its CUDA cores. The difference between low & high PhysX in games roughly translates to how much particles can be simulated at once on the same screen.

#7 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

for what its worth high phyx with explosive shotguns looks amazing.

#8 Edited by bybeach (4602 posts) -

I'm running everything on high right now, though it tried to start me off on med, physics. But I have 2 570's in sli. Of course I could dedicate those separately but it all seems to work.

Game looks great, but i a not sure Borderlands would look 'bad' with med physics..as in even hardly noticeable. The whole graphics art approach...we'll have to see.

#9 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@bybeach said:

...but i a not sure Borderlands would look 'bad' with med physics..as in even hardly noticeable. The whole graphics art approach...we'll have to see.

Well, considering I've had such a difficult time distinguishing between Medium and High physics that I decided to make a topic about it, I'd say it is hardly noticeable.

#10 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: What GPU are you using and what is your average framerate between high and medium?

#11 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

@BonOrbitz said:

@Captain_Felafel: What GPU are you using and what is your average framerate between high and medium?

GTX 580. On Medium, with everything else maxed, I get average of 55-60, unless there's heavy fighting, in which case the framerate can drop to the mid 40's sometimes. On High, that average framerate drops by about 5-8 frames.

#12 Posted by BasketSnake (1111 posts) -
#13 Posted by gorndonfredoman (21 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

@BonOrbitz said:

GTX 580. On Medium, with everything else maxed, I get average of 55-60, unless there's heavy fighting, in which case the framerate can drop to the mid 40's sometimes. On High, that average framerate drops by about 5-8 frames.

I'm on a 670 and went through a similar thought process to you. Ultimately I decided to stick with high, the extra debris is just too fuckin cool. Get on boombooms turret right near the start and just start unloading on shit and you should see a pretty huge difference. I haven't done that specific test, but barrel goo and grenade debris and shotgun blasts are pretty obviously different (just make sure you restart the whole game after changing the setting). It's not different I don't think, just more of it.

You should also try setting it low because this game runs about as well as BL1 when the physx is low. I assume this is just keeping basic stuff like the random cloth fluttering about because it seems to completely remove the goo and debris. However I went from occasionally 45 fps hit to always being 60 or above. In a fps that can make the game a lot more fun to play, but I personally find the visual feedback worth the frames.

#14 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

Just wanted to let you know that Nvidia has just released an article related to performance & changes with PhysX & video cards in Borderlands 2. Here are some statistics you might find useful, which you can read here for full analysis: http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/borderlands-2-physx/. There will also soon be a 'tweak' guide people can use for maximum performance Vs visuals.

A general indication of Borderlands 2 PhysX performance.

If PhysX High is too taxing for your system, switch down to Medium. Below, we detail the effects you’ll gain and lose when switching from High, to Medium, to Low.

EffectsPhysX LowPhysX MediumPhysX High
DebrisNo GPU PhysX effects shown.Debris particle-count reduced, resulting in fewer prices of debris per effect.Max-quality Debris.
SPH FluidNo GPU PhysX effects shown.SPH Fluid particle-count reduced, fluid effects no longer on or emitted by four enemy types, and SPH water removed from all scenes.Max-quality SPH Fluid, full range of enemy fluid effects, numerous uses of SPH water.
ClothNo GPU PhysX effects shown.Lower-quality cloth and fewer instances of cloth per level.Max-quality cloth.
ParticlesNo GPU PhysX effects shown.Fewer general particle effects, exempli gratia. sparks and embers.Sparks, embers, and more, shower each scene.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.