How do / will you play Borderlands?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3662 posts) -

#2 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Definitely with a group of friends. I played through most of Borderlands with a laptop nearby and three other people on the same Skype call. I'm anticipating the same thing all over again.

#3 Posted by wemibelec90 (1629 posts) -

I don't have any friends who play games (at least, that play the ones I like to play) so I'll be on my own. Like always.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Co-op!

#5 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Why is there no "only co-op" option? I wouldn't touch Borderlands with a 10-foot single-player pole!

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I guess that'll depend on whether my friends get a copy of the game to and how may of them do. I played the large majority of the first game single-player and that was fun enough.

#7 Posted by perilator666 (443 posts) -

ill probably play with my bro if hes up for it.

i dont often play multiplayer other than the occasional mmo.

#8 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

All of the single-player, and co-op with friends.

Weird poll-options.

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I didn't play the first one but I'm interested in trying the second, and one of my friends did play the first one so we'll probably play together.

#10 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Split screen with my girlfriend.

#11 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Co-op all the way if possible. Have to see who's getting it on PC or 360.

#12 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -

Co-oping it with my friends. They have forced me to buy on PC though which is something I'm not sure about. Super hyped for the game though!

#13 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I will play it alone in a dark room with the blinds closed because I dunno any real humans who play games.

#14 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

I will probably have at least 2 characters, much like I did with the first one. One single player and one co-op. The single player will be for slowly going through the game and enjoying myself, while the co-op will end up being a mad dash to beat the game as fast as possible. This is what happens when co-op buddies favorite games are fast paced linear shooters and yours aren't.

#15 Posted by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -

I played the first one all the way through solo, so the sequel will be the same. I enjoy playing untethered to any responsibilities. Besides my broadband is crappy slow.

#16 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

I do enjoy the occasional co-op session, but that's mostly because of hard stuff like crawmerax and stuff.

#17 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Mainly single player, but I'll dabble a bit in some multi.

#18 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

I voted for mostly multiplayer with friends but if its anything like the first game i'll end up being the last of my friends to keep playing and stick to singleplayer while i level up the other classes.

#19 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4398 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I don't have any friends who play games (at least, that play the ones I like to play) so I'll be on my own. Like always.

This, sadly.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11802 posts) -

If I get it?

Probably single player. I played the original Borderlands some multiplayer, but I found myself mostly playing it alone. That first game feels way unbalanced when you add just one other person of equal level with you; I found myself up against bullet sponges all of the time. Four players, though, seemed a lot better; I hope this is fixed in the second one because I want to play it with my brother.

#21 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I'm going to play through on single player first, the original game was hugely unbalanced, especially if someone was playing as Lilith.

After that, mainly co-op online/lan.

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

I'll most likely play through it single player and if one of my friends get it I'll play some of it co op. I played through the first game solo and loved it.

#23 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I played borderlands with one other person. We will, however, not be playing borderlands 2, due to borderlands 1 being so bad.

#24 Edited by pweidman (2326 posts) -

I'll have a bunch of people to play with online for at least the first month, so I'll do a ton of that, mixed w/sp when applicable. Randoms no. I give 'em a week and there'll be modded crap everywhere.

#25 Posted by Jayzilla (2560 posts) -

I will play this around Christmas time when it goes on sale on Steam.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -

Mostly single player just because it's hard to coordinate play-time with my friends.

#27 Posted by Korolev (1704 posts) -

I will play with my Brother. I only played Borderlands with my Brother. I tried to play singleplayer Borderlands, but every time I'd get maybe 30 minutes in and then be overwhelmed with boredom.

#28 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3662 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

Split screen with my girlfriend.

C. Mostly with a single friend in split-screen
2.7%

I'm really happy for you that you'll be able to play this way, and I'm even happier that Borderlands 2 will support split-screen online co-op this time around, but this is a good example of why you don't see too many split-screen games anymore.

For everyone complaining about games like Tony Hawk HD leaving out the absolutely vital feature that is split-screen, you can see from this poll how popular couch multiplayer really is in 2012. If these numbers are even close to accurate, I would think it would be hard for developers to devote time and resources to something that less than 5% of players will consistently use.

#29 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Co-op with 1-2 friends pretty much exclusively.

#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac: I think there's a huge difference between wanting split-screen in a Diablo style FPS and wanting it in an arcade game which banks largely on nostalgia and old school gameplay.

Also, this is a pretty "hardcore" gaming form. You can't take stats like these and assume they speak for the majority of players.

#31 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

Mostly co-op. But it'll also mean I won't play a tonne of Borderlands 2 at once, but rather a bunch of Borderlands 2 over the next few years. 
My bro is generally my co-op partner for these sorts of games and I'd not play the game any other way, but dude's busier than I am so it takes us time to get through certain games. 
Hell still trying to get through the first one.

#32 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3662 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@SpaceInsomniac: I think there's a huge difference between wanting split-screen in a Diablo style FPS and wanting it in an arcade game which banks largely on nostalgia and old school gameplay.

Also, this is a pretty "hardcore" gaming form. You can't take stats like these and assume they speak for the majority of players.

It is a "hardcore" forum, but I'd think that both Borderlands and THPS are hardcore games. And if this is a hardcore gaming forum, don't you think that average users would be LESS likely to bother with split-screen, rather than more likely?

I think game companies have the actual numbers on things like this, and that's why we don't see many split-screen games anymore.

#33 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

Probably single player, unless the one person I know who bought the first game buys this one too.

#34 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

If you play on the PC the PC Gaming Hub can be used to find willing co-op players - lately we have people replaying the original.

#35 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac:

I know, and it sucks. I was bummed out when I discovered THPSHD does not support any split screen (or local multiplayer) at all. We mostly just play Call of Duty online split screen now, and that gets old after a while. But I understand it's not a priority for a lot of people.

#36 Edited by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

Single player mostly along with some occasional online co-op with buddies and people I know from sites. I can't stand random multiplayer anymore, so I'm not even touching that this time. Oh and I'll be playing split screen with my room mates whenever I get around to picking up a ps3 copy as my second copy of the game.

#37 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

Like with the first one, I'll start 2 guys at the same time. I play through part of the game by myself with one guy. than play the same part online, than switch back and forth so both guys will the end of the game at about the same time and both will have been online and solo at different points. I like this cause I can figure out where and how to do certain parts online but than take my time and do it by myself. Also it get my guys more levels and guns playing online.

#38 Posted by stryker1121 (1404 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

Same here..well the extent of my friends' gaming is Mario Kart w/ their kids. I'm the only hardcore badazz gamer in my peer group, so I'll be campaigning by lonesome, thank you.

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Probably play on my own and then open it up with friends. I'll also wait for reviews and other opinions before I get it. I didn't like Borderlands that much so I hope they fix the problems that I had with the original game.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

I might jump in with some of you guys, but my friends are getting the 360 version. I bought this nice PC and I'm going to use it, damn it!

#41 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

Co-op exclusively with one of my favorite people in the entire world is how I'll complete it first. :D

I am beyond excited.

#42 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

Ill probably play through once single player than in later runs be okay with hopping into other games or having other people hop in mine.

#43 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Borderlands was probably my brothers favourite game this generation. I'm sure I'll be playing it with him.

#44 Posted by RainDog505 (100 posts) -

Really hoping that I manage to find some people to play the PC build with co-op. I played the original Borderlands on PS3 entirely by myself. While I found much to like and even some to absolutely adore, the game started to drag something fierce by the final few missions. I'm sure the loot bumps and innate insanity of online co-op would have remedied those blues.

Anyone want to Steam buddy up?!?

#45 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I played the original SP because no one got it until way after I finished but played MP when they finally picked it up.. But now since it's a day 1 purchase for them, most likely CO-OP

#46 Posted by BenL (12 posts) -

Hopefully, enough of my friends will buy this game that I can play some co-op, but I'll probably end up playing the majority by myself so I don't have to rely on all of our schedules lining up.

#47 Posted by PatODay (191 posts) -

I'll be playing with my 3 roommates and if they're not around I'll be playing with friends on XBL who also get the game.

#48 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I don't have much choice but to play alone, since I don't have any friends interested in playing it. I don't mind though, I prefer playing by myself most of the time anyway-

#49 Posted by Skyfire543 (677 posts) -

All of my friends who plan on getting this game don't play games on PC, sadly, so I'll be playing alone unless I can convince some of my more PC focused friends to get it at launch, or at least on the holidays when there are sales.

#50 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Presently, it seems that I'll probably be going through the game alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.