I have 2 Golden Keys. Is it safe to use one?

#1 Posted by The_Nubster (2151 posts) -

One from singing up for Shift, and one from the codes that were distributed the other day. I'm a level 27 Commando, and I'm not having any issues with guns, shields, relics, etc. but I was curious to see what's in the chest. Should I wait until I'm hurting for a new piece of gear, or is it worth it to spend one key and take a peek?

#2 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

From what I gather on different forums, it's best to use one at 25 and any others at 50 if you plan to play that high. I have one from the pre order and have yet to sign up for the other one but that's how I plan on doing it.

#3 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

I didn't pay much attention to any of the key stuff before the game came out, so when I first saw the chest and noticed that I had a key I just figured I'd found it through play and used it.

Opened that chest at level 7.... damn.

#4 Posted by kuz101 (209 posts) -

I had 3 and used one at level 31. I got a magenta level shotgun and a magenta level submachine gun. Both were much better than what I had before and both have been used a lot since. That said I only used it because i plan to get my Zero to level 50.

#5 Posted by Zaccheus (1794 posts) -

I used it around 25 and got shit, can't even remember, sold them right away. I think it was a shotgun with awful accuracy and a sniper with super slow firing speed. Nothing I would use as a Gunzerker... Real bummer, anyway you should do what @ProfessorK: said.

#6 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -
@Soap said:

I didn't pay much attention to any of the key stuff before the game came out, so when I first saw the chest and noticed that I had a key I just figured I'd found it through play and used it.

Yeah I did that at level 9. Luckily both of the guns were crazy good and I still use one of them at level 16.
#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I don't see any reason to use them before the max level. At least then you have the possibility of getting a good weapon to take into the second play through and later expansions. Using them early on just means you'll almost definitely replace them by the end.

#8 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind I'm with you on this, will not use any keys until I'm 50. Then again, I will probably keep playing for quite some time.
#9 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

@Soap said:

Yeah I did that at level 9. Luckily both of the guns were crazy good and I still use one of them at level 16.

Yeah same here, both mine were purple sniper rifles, and playing as Zero that works out well for me, still using them at level 11 will see how long they last. (They look amazing however)

#10 Posted by bkbroiler (1626 posts) -

I used mine pretty early, probably level 5-10. I got two guns that I used for at least a few levels. Worth it to me. I think no matter what you do you should be aware that you've got the potential to get shit.

#11 Edited by The_Nubster (2151 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

I don't see any reason to use them before the max level. At least then you have the possibility of getting a good weapon to take into the second play through and later expansions. Using them early on just means you'll almost definitely replace them by the end.

This was what I was thinking too. I suppose, since I'm not in a pickle, I'll save one key for Playthrough 2 when I'm having a hard time, and use my other at level 50. Hopefully I'll never be in a jam, and I can use both of them at max level. Or maybe I'll save one key for the unavoidable sex-position-number-level patch.

#12 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Where are you guys getting all these keys? I've got the one for preordering but I want to wait till level 50 to use it and that's gonna be a while yet.

#13 Posted by Capum15 (4903 posts) -
#14 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

Yeah, this. I don't plan on using any until 50.
#15 Posted by BoFooQ (674 posts) -

Used my first one by mistake, like lots of other people. I have 2 more now though, and while I'll save one for when I'm level 50, I was thinking about using the other sooner. It seems like there will be more keys to get as time goes on, so I'm not to worried about using them now.

#16 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

There is an easy way to hack the golden keys thing. By changing a file I got 200 keys, although you need to have the non update version of borderlands 2. IN the DLC file of borderlands 2 find willowdlc.inc and change the line about the number of golden keys from what ever it is to 200. After you start the game and see how many you have, you can then update and keep the keys, but you can't gain anymore via this method post update.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.