Kills give no exp, possible bug?

#1 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

So I went on to play some Borderlands 2 before I go to bed and I noticed that my kills granted me no experience points. At first I threw out my turret to take care of some bandits and noticed that there were no exp prompts on screen. I restarted the game and the same thing happened. I'm currently level 14 and have been outside Sanctuary killing some level 7 bandits and skags, so is it just that no exp is given once a certain threshold has passed between your level and your enemies' levels?

Or is this a bug? If so, has anyone else encountered it?

I fear that this is a sign telling me that the Badass Rank reset bug is going to affect my save. In fact any bug in this game right now is making me really nervous (although there's only been a handful reported so far).

#2 Posted by Wacomole (819 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

So I went on to play some Borderlands 2 before I go to bed and I noticed that my kills granted me no experience points. At first I threw out my turret to take care of some bandits and noticed that there were no exp prompts on screen. I restarted the game and the same thing happened. I'm currently level 14 and have been outside Sanctuary killing some level 7 bandits and skags, so is it just that no exp is given once a certain threshold has passed between your level and your enemies' levels?

Or is this a bug? If so, has anyone else encountered it?

I fear that this is a sign telling me that the Badass Rank reset bug is going to affect my save. In fact any bug in this game right now is making me really nervous (although there's only been a handful reported so far).

Yes. it sounds very much like you're overlevelled for that area.

#3 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

You don't get XP if the level difference between your character and the baddies is too high. It scales the amount of XP depending on the levels so you get less for beating lower level enemies (like every game ever). 

I don't understand why you would connect not getting XP from killing NPCs that are half the level you are with losing badass ranks since those are two completely different things and the problems with badass ranks resetting have had nothing to do with XP or killing NPCs.

#4 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

@MoleyUK: @xMrSunshine: Seems weird though cause I was still getting exp during my previous session and I was the same level. I also killed some level 10 - 11 Badass dudes during the last session and still no exp.

Also I'm just saying that any bug right now is making me more and more aware that the Badass Rank reset bug might creep up during my play session. I'm not saying it's directly related because I don't know what the cause of the bug is.

#5 Edited by Wacomole (819 posts) -

You could try taking a look at the actual number of your XP on the bottom of the "My Missions" screen just before you kill some dudes of a comparable level to yours and then check afterwards to see if the number really doesn't change.

Keep us posted.

#6 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

Pretty sure you still get 1exp even if the enemies are completely powerless against you. At least, that's from my experience although I can't remember the level difference between myself and those guys.

#7 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -

Same as in the first game, even more (less?) so if you're in a vehicle. You want to try and kill enemies that are at least equal to your level, otherwise it's just a big fat waste of time.

#8 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

Ok so I verified my game cache last night to see if that might help. After downloading an 11MB file, I restarted the game. Still no exp. Woke up today and found that Steam was updating 40MB worth of data for Borderlands 2 and when I started the game up, exp started rolling in again. Not sure if the update had anything to do with it but I killed a level 8 Badass Nomad and got 3 exp so I guess it's all good now *phew*.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.