Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Level recommendations for quests straight-up lie? Maybe?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

Or maybe I'm understanding them wrong. I've had a few offenders, but the most recent one was the quest where you are required to manually mutate the Varkids at the Tundra Express. It said the recommended level was 13, but I was off faffing about with other quests, so I didn't get around to it until I was level 16. Well, I thought, this should be simple enough.

I was a bit put off when I saw that the Varkids were levels 13-15, but I counted my lucky stars on doing other quests first to pump up my level. However, the Badass Varkids that come as a result of the mutation are level 17, and can kill me in a matter of seconds. So how is level 13 a good level to go in to this mission, when the basic enemies are at least level 13, and the Badass variants are at least 17, and can take down a level 16 with a breath?

Someone please tell me there's a trick to understanding how difficult a quest is going to be beyond the level recommendations. Whenever I run in to one of these way-too-hard quests, it really kills the pace of the game and bogs the whole experience down. Is this just a point where I should open my game to the public for ten minutes, and then close it off when the quest is complete?

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By laussica

I think it's a bit unbalanced when your doing it solo, but if your in co op it's pretty spot on. But if you die twice trying to get though a quest, just go onto another one or just grind a bit, thanks to the badass ranking system it at least makes grinding feel like your achieving something

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By chilibean_3

Yeah that one was a little messed up. It's the only one I can think of though. Are there others like this that you noticed?

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By laussica

I had a bit of trouble with the mission medical mystery when I was solo other then that I've been fine

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

That is about the only instance that i can think of when that level disbalance happens. All the other quests are fine. Later on if you do all the side stuff you will be over leveled for quests in general, so that issue becomes completely moot.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By The_Nubster

@chilibean_3 said:

Yeah that one was a little messed up. It's the only one I can think of though. Are there others like this that you noticed?

Like said, Medical Mystery messed me up pretty good, too. But it sounds like this is the only quest that's unbalanced to such a degree, so that's no problem. Time to grind, I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I felt like that Mutant Varkids mission was fucked regardless. The mutants were hard to deal with and I think I'd been, like, an 18 or something by the time I went in for it.

The Caustic Caverns were pretty rough, too. Mostly because the game throws dozens of those goddamn Crystalisks at you all at once.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hbkdx12

I found that mission to be a pain in the ass more so because i couldn't reliably get the varkids to transform

@HistoryInRust: Im playing as a siren and i have the singularity skill. So i would phaselock the mutant and then he'd catch on fire and so would all the lil varkids that would get sucked in and then i had a longbow tesla grenade that just electrocute the shit out of anything that's near it. The sheer amount of numbers and colors that fly off of enemies when you have them in this set up is nothing short of amazing. 

The cystaslisks are a pain but that was until i got this jacobs pistol that has a blade that does 100% melee damage. So all i need to do is literally hit them once in their crit spot for the crystal to break. 3 hits and their dead. Super easy.  and that's before i consider phaselocking them to make it even easier.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Ares42

I noticed this too when I was playing. My theory is that there's something jacked with the level scaling and quest tagging in the game. Basically it seems quests are tagged based on your level when you pick them up, however zones are scaled the first time you enter them (or maybe some other trigger, but they are definitely scaled at some other point). There also seems to be an innate difficulty to quests so you can have quests that have lower level tags, yet they are more difficult than higher level ones.

Basically the issue boils down to how they made the game more open-worldy this time around and allowed people to choose different paths, leading to the necessity of scaling difficulty. One thing I found that might be a clue though (not confirmed) is the XP reward of the quest. I believe it will give a better indicator than the actual level tag of the quest.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By abendlaender

Yeah, I just died a whole bunch on the flying bastards. Feels really unbalanced but I managed to do it (I'm currently Level 14 Commando)

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Barrabas

I had my turret upgraded with rockets by the time I did this quest (think I was level 16). That made it really easy. Rocket turret destroys everything. I just had to learn not to lay it down before the thing hatches or else it will kill the guys in the cocoon.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By altairre

I play Zer0 and I had no problems with this particular quest. Then again I have a really good shotgun (still use it) and combined with the deception crit bonus the badass varkins couldn't do shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.