Made a Gaige poster for fun. Looking for input.

Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

After beating my Maya playthough in Borderlands 2 I decided to jump back in for round with with Gaige (aka The Mechromancer). I'm really digging her. Her Anarchy ability is pretty crazy but really fun. Here's a good tip, unmap the reload key if your playing PC. It saves you a ton of stress.

Anyways I decided to make a Gaige poster in Illustrator and Photoshop late night because I needed to feel somewhat productive after all the games I've been playing. This is by no means serious, but a fun little thing on the side. I still love feedback however as I'm always looking to improve myself. Anyways, this is getting long winded so here you go.

#1 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

After beating my Maya playthough in Borderlands 2 I decided to jump back in for round with with Gaige (aka The Mechromancer). I'm really digging her. Her Anarchy ability is pretty crazy but really fun. Here's a good tip, unmap the reload key if your playing PC. It saves you a ton of stress.

Anyways I decided to make a Gaige poster in Illustrator and Photoshop late night because I needed to feel somewhat productive after all the games I've been playing. This is by no means serious, but a fun little thing on the side. I still love feedback however as I'm always looking to improve myself. Anyways, this is getting long winded so here you go.

#2 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

Here's a good tip, unmap the reload key if your playing PC. It saves you a ton of stress.

I tried to do that for PS3, or at least move reload to a button other than Square cos that's the Pick Up button and I have accidentally reloaded on many occasions. It didn't let me. Now I just empty the magazine whenever it's not full (also for the health regen when fully loaded). The rest of the Anarchy tree is not my bag though. At least not for now.

Anyway, the poster is pretty cool. I was sorta hoping it would be one of them Wanted posters that the rest of the classes have, I thought it sucked that she didn't have one. Kinda understandable, I suppose.

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@Neurotic said:

Anyway, the poster is pretty cool. I was sorta hoping it would be one of them Wanted posters that the rest of the classes have, I thought it sucked that she didn't have one. Kinda understandable, I suppose.

That's a cool Idea, I may do that.

#4 Posted by selbie (1884 posts) -

Yet again, Giantbomb delivers the talent.

The only crit I can give is that combined with the background it looks a little flat. Maybe put a stroke around her silhouette?

#5 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@selbie said:

Yet again, Giantbomb delivers the talent.

The only crit I can give is that combined with the background it looks a little flat. Maybe put a stroke around her silhouette?

Thank you! Honestly I think its only ok, but that's because I'm my own worst critic. I agree it does feel a little flat. I'll mess with it a bit.

#6 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -
@JeanLuc: what I would recommend is that try to line up the robot's eye with Gaige's eye location. Another recommendation would be.... right now, it's hard to see the actual robot right now. Without borderlands 2 context, I dont' think anybody would know that is a silhouettes of a robot. So scale it down a bit? Other than that, great! Olly Moss inspired, I'm assuming. 
#7 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@nohthink: All great ideas, thanks. Yeah I'm a huge fan of Olly Moss, I love his stuff. This is my first time trying anything like this though.

#8 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

It looks pretty good!

I would suggest trying to do something more with the text on the bottom to help it feel more incorporated into the design. Maybe making it a little larger, placing it at an angle, breaking it up over two lines, varying the size of a word, or some combination of those things. Having that text relate more to the whole design would really help tie everything together. Right now you have such a strong treatment of "Gaige," but the lower half of the design seems sparse by comparison. I think paying more attention to "respect the robot!" would do the whole thing wonders. :)

#9 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@Kerned said:

It looks pretty good!

I would suggest trying to do something more with the text on the bottom to help it feel more incorporated into the design. Maybe making it a little larger, placing it at an angle, breaking it up over two lines, varying the size of a word, or some combination of those things. Having that text relate more to the whole design would really help tie everything together. Right now you have such a strong treatment of "Gaige," but the lower half of the design seems sparse by comparison. I think paying more attention to "respect the robot!" would do the whole thing wonders. :)

Your definitely right. Unfortunately the Borderlands font cost money so I had to do some fudging to get the text in the first place. It will be a pain but worth it in the end.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@JeanLuc: oh I don't think you need to use their font or anything. There are tons of things you can do without having to go down that road. I have faith in your skills! :)

#11 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -

Adding a third level of depth to behind Deathtrap could be interesting. I'm thinking more along the lines of a pattern or detailed texture. I haven't played enough Gaige to offer some solutions to what it could be, but I know one tree is very shock heavy.

And yes, typography could be a bit more stylized.

Great start!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.