Moxxie slot machines worth the money?

#1 Posted by laussica (181 posts) -

Hey I've been putting money every now and then just to get the achievement for spending $10,000
I've got a couple of alright guns but nothing I really want to use, has anyone got anything awesome from the slot machines?

#2 Posted by Capum15 (4859 posts) -

One of my friends keeps managing to get a small load of Iridium now and then. Mostly I've just found bad (and occasionally good) weapons. Aside from a few character skins, nothing I've actually used so far.

#3 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

In terms of guns? Eh sorta, you can get some good stuff, but it is extremely rare and nothing you can't get by killing dudes or in loot chests, mostly it's trash whites and greens.

The value of slot machines is: A. class skins B. easy eridium

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

In a co-op game I got 38 iridium? (the purple rare stuff). Before gambling tip Moxxi some money and your odds improve.

#5 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

In terms of guns? Eh sorta, you can get some good stuff, but it is extremely rare and nothing you can't get by killing dudes or in loot chests, mostly it's trash whites and greens.

The value of slot machines is: A. class skins B. easy eridium

There are other custom skins bar the ones available from the start?

Awesome. I've been desperately wishing I had some gaudy lime-green and bubblegum-pink number (genuinely).

Here's hoping!

#6 Posted by RawknRo11a (562 posts) -

The Achievement is not for spentding $10,000 in the slot machines. There is a tip jar on the bar in fromt of Moxxxie, you need to put a total of $10,000 in THAT. but yea, the slot machine can pay off big time if your lucky

#7 Posted by golguin (3869 posts) -

I've gotten some pretty amazing weapons out of there that I am currently using and lots of iridium. I didn't know that tipping her increases the odds so I'll start doing that. You can usually get a good chunk of iridium in co-op games as people will gamble away a good deal of their money so they don't lose any if they die. I never really saw anything worth buying in the first Borderlands and I still haven't seen anything worthwhile in the store now. Gambling is where its at.

#8 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

@GetEveryone: Yeah there are tons of class skins, heads, and vehicle camos some are drops some a quest rewards other are given for certain badass challenges.

@golguin: You can definitely chance on some killer gear in vendor machines if you keep an eye out. Just recently i bought a 3x2500 dmg purple rocket launcher with slag effect, great clip and reload, compared to the 4-5k highest dmg numbers i've seen up till now with no elemental effect too.

#9 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

@RawknRo11a: I think you are incorrect or there are 2 achievements cause I got the achievement while I was sitting there playing slot machine.

Also are all the slot machine equal? cause I did find a random one in a little shack in middle of nowhere. I send alot of money at slot machine cause I find most of the stores have nothing I want.

#10 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

It's the same thing in real life. You go on streaks where it's amazing, you go on downs where you lose all your money, but then you think you just need to play more and you'll catch back up, and sometimes you do. It's fun as hell to win the jackpot

#11 Edited by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

There is also a Sanctuary specific challenge that entails getting 2 certain reel combinations, if you want to buff your Badass rank.

#12 Posted by VoshiNova (1671 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

It's the same thing in real life. You go on streaks where it's amazing, you go on downs where you lose all your money, but then you think you just need to play more and you'll catch back up, and sometimes you do. It's fun as hell to win the jackpot

Just dropped some truth on me, I love the slot machines - only gamble on slots after I take down one of the beasts backpackin' one.

#13 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

I walked up to the slots once, put in $130 or something like that, and walked away with a gun worth over $1000. That's the only time I've done anything.

#14 Posted by Pabba (334 posts) -

@laussica: I was able to get a single piece of Iridium so far, as well as lots of bombs. Have tried maybe 8 or 10 times in total.

#15 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I use it because, honestly, what else am I going to spend most of my money on? Speaking of which, what's the cap on this game this time around?

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21479 posts) -

I found me a pretty great Purple Assault Rifle in there once.

#17 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1562 posts) -

It's pretty much the only thing I spend money on, and I've gotten some hot stuff out of there. Absolutely worth it.

#18 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

You can get some good guns from the slot machines. 3 out of the 4 guns I use came from the slot machine, I've gotten 2 purple guns, 5 blues and a shit ton of greens. And a lot of the same tediore customer service class mod. Also if you line up three of those vault symbols on the middle row in the slot machine you get an orange weapon.

#19 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (407 posts) -

I've pulled a few purples and blues out of there. Was lucky enough to roll a 3x Marcus and received a particularly impressive automatic sniper rifle with a 25 shot magazine and sweet fire damage. Aside from that it's mostly iffy blues and greens, some class skins, and lots of eridium.

Side note: How much money do you guys find you are carrying around? I play mostly solo, I'm at lv15 and have never had more than $5000 in my pocket at one time. I'll rarely buy anything other than ammo and occasional insta-heals so my suspicion is that there is more money to be made in co-op...

#20 Posted by Ares42 (2611 posts) -

As others have said, what else are you gonna spend money on ? Carrying around a bunch of cash only means you lose a ton if you die. And you can get Eridium.

Just remember though, it has level restriction on loot based on what version of Sanctuary you are in (just like vendors). So if the vendors are all giving you crap the slots won't be much better.

#21 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@RenegadeDoppelganger: I'm near your level and $5K is pretty much the most of I've had at once.

#22 Posted by Scotto (1175 posts) -

I got over 10 eridium once, half a dozen blue weapons, and one legendary weapon (Sledge's Shotgun).

Once you get to around lvl 20, you're making money faster than it can reasonably be spent, so yes - it's worth the money.

#23 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

It's worth it for the eridium alone. In a co-op game with two other friends, we all managed to max out our storage capacity before leaving Sanctuary for the first time.

#24 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

i just put 15 grand in in one go, walked away with 112 eridium, a lot of blues. no purples unfortunately.

#25 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I just got an orange weapon for getting three Borderlands logos in a row.

I also gave Moxxi about 2k worth of tips before playing the slots.

#26 Posted by Karkarov (3057 posts) -

Uh the slot machine is great. I have gotten multiple skins, for multiple characters, all of them based on the gun makers, and they all look cool. I have gotten two epic guns, three blues, more greens and whites than I can shake a stick at and even they sold for more than what the spin cost me when I didn't use them anyway. Not to mention the boatload of iridium. You can actually get as many as 8 in one spin if you are lucky but seeing 4 is not uncommon at all.

#27 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -
#28 Edited by Brandino (249 posts) -

I have spent an ungodly amount on it (other than saving a few hundred for ammo in the wild) i spend everything on them and other than skins and a few Eridium jackpots i haven't gotten shit.

My favorite skin so far i got was the Why So Serious skin for Zer0.

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

I have like 8 blues from Moxxxi, just from the machines alone. I pay about 119 - 150 each time and play about 5000 every time Im in town.

#30 Posted by Skyfire543 (676 posts) -

Theres not really much use of my cash except tipping Moxxi for no reason or playing the slots, so I play the slots really often. I havn't gotten much, but whatever. Just go kill a bunch of those Crystal guys and you get a shit tonne of money.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

@RenegadeDoppelganger said:

I've pulled a few purples and blues out of there. Was lucky enough to roll a 3x Marcus and received a particularly impressive automatic sniper rifle with a 25 shot magazine and sweet fire damage. Aside from that it's mostly iffy blues and greens, some class skins, and lots of eridium.

Side note: How much money do you guys find you are carrying around? I play mostly solo, I'm at lv15 and have never had more than $5000 in my pocket at one time. I'll rarely buy anything other than ammo and occasional insta-heals so my suspicion is that there is more money to be made in co-op...

I play solo too, and level 14 and the most I have ever had was around 8000 and that was after doing a quest and unloading all the greens I got on that quest.

#32 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

Worth it. I got an orange pistol earlier called the Rapid Infinity that has (duh) infinite ammo. I permanently sits at 1/399 ammo and just dumps when I hold the trigger. It's relatively accurate, too. WELL worth the money I put into the machines.

#33 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Yeah but what do you do with Eridium when you buy all black market upgrades? Anyway, it is actually kind of worth it if you got the cash, but only for the Eridium. I've gotten 2 guns out of the slot machines that I've used the rest was trash and a couple of customization. Has anyone gotten those 3 borderland signs, what do you get for them?

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

If you have friends playing BL2 run slots with them. Iridium pickups grant their full amount to everyone in your party so with two people you're doubling your value with every Iridium jackpot.

I've personally upgraded my guns at least 6 times and earned around 40 Iridium at a net loss of only 35k or so since I've been earning about half of what I spend back from jackpots.

#35 Posted by golguin (3869 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Yeah but what do you do with Eridium when you buy all black market upgrades? Anyway, it is actually kind of worth it if you got the cash, but only for the Eridium. I've gotten 2 guns out of the slot machines that I've used the rest was trash and a couple of customization. Has anyone gotten those 3 borderland signs, what do you get for them?

I was in a team a few hours ago and I told them about hitting the slots while tipping Moxxi. I tipped 100 before each spin and they played. We did this for about 30 minutes and ended up with around 40 eridium. It's hard to say how much money I spent since every weapon I didn't replace with my old set (replaced about 4) I sold for money to keep playing. I started with around 10,000 and stopped around 4,000, but I was almost refreshing myself completely with all the greens and blues I was pulling.

One guy got the 3 borderland signs and pulled an orange sniper.

#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Not sure if its just luck but I tipped her 1k then the very first slot pull I got all the eridum signs matched up.

#37 Posted by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

Tipping Moxxi has nothing to do with the slots. It's a separate simple RNG (random number generator). Tipping Moxxi is just to get her two SMGs

I've spent hundreds of thousands of cash on the slots with and without tipping her never seeing any difference. Probably spent well over an hour in total at the slots during the first playthrough.

I stand by this from many hundreds of slot attempts, at least untill someone digs into the code and shows one way or another

#38 Posted by Creamypies (4059 posts) -

I've had multiple purple and orange guns come out of them.

#39 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

I can't get shit from the machines! I've tipped and played tens of thousands, possibly well over $100k, and don't have much to show for it. I just want some iridium damnit!

#40 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I dont know if its worth it, but I usually play every time I am in town until I win some eridium.

#41 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

You can actually get as many as 8 in one spin if you are lucky but seeing 4 is not uncommon at all.

You can get 16.

#42 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

I got a lot of eridium out of those machines and when you sell all the crappy guns you get it doesn't cost you that much either. Definitely worth it for me.

#43 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (714 posts) -

i scored a kickass 1300 damage rocket launcher with corrosive damage. it also explodes after being reloaded. i've had it for a few levels now.

#44 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -

Am yet to try this but will definitely give it a spin next time I see one. Does the whole more people, better loot thing apply to these?

#45 Posted by chris006 (1 posts) -

i won a orange tedicore smg on my fourth play in slots in the dust and won at least 500 eridium and 3 purples in moxxi's slots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.