Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage

#1 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

If anybody has been following ECHOcasts on twitter, gearbox has been hinting at what's probably the next DLC for Borderlands 2:

Mr. Torgue throwing up the horns

There's also a trailer for Torgue weapons, and this from the twitter account:

"ARE YOU A BADASS ENOUGH BADASS TO SURVIVE “MISTER TORGUE’S CAMPAIGN OF CARNAGE”? I’M LEGIT CURIOUS CAUSE I DUNNO YOU THAT WELL BADASSITUDE"

New DLC? New playable character like Gaige? Discuss. I'm just hoping if it is the next DLC, the "Campaign of Carnage" isn't a new way of saying "Madd Moxxi's Underdome."

#2 Posted by Marmalade (189 posts) -

Yeah, first thing I thought of when I read "Campaign of Carnage" was the Underdome. I'm really hoping that isn't the case as I've been waiting for the next DLC to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on buying the season pass.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Marmalade said:

Yeah, first thing I thought of when I read "Campaign of Carnage" was the Underdome. I'm really hoping that isn't the case as I've been waiting for the next DLC to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on buying the season pass.

Would get real annoyed if they do another underdome. It was 100% crap in the first game. 
#4 Posted by Neurotic (631 posts) -

Eh, I'd be more interested in a new character, I need a reason to keep playing.

Torgue weapons are shitty and although the whole uber macho parody thing is kinda funny, I have my doubts that it will make a fun piece of DLC. Definitely sounds like some sort of arena though. They seemed to be aware enough of the shortcomings of Borderlands 1, there's no way they'll do one of those again, right? Right?

#5 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

There's already an arena in the game, I don't need another if that's what this is. I'll be disappointed if this turns out to be that.

I also wouldn't mind another character class since I turned the Mechromancer into my main.

More heads for everyone would make me happy, too.

#6 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3325 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marmalade said:

Would get real annoyed if they do another underdome. It was 100% crap in the first game. 
They've already said that the aim for each DLC is the size and scope of General Knox.  If they would make another "underdome", it would have to be something like an FPS smash TV, with a huge map or something like that.  If they tried to do something as small as underdome again, their fans would disown them for it.
#7 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2071 posts) -

This will probably be a tournament type thing with completely different challenges and not just "survive 25 boring waves of just shooting guys"

Like one round could be all vehicles, one around could be racing, one could be survival, etc etc

#8 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

@Marmalade said:

This. But I've already lost my interest in B2, so it'd have to be a pretty special DLC to pull me back I think.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Marmalade said:

Trying to platinum that DLC was just dumb. The final three 20-round bonus things (which are ultimately pointless and have no rewards worth speaking of are just there for, like, whatever reason) take at least an hour to do. I only ever got one of the achievements because I happened to join someone's game 3/4s of the way through.

A shame, because the underdome music was kind of neat.

#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (7721 posts) -

I love it when weapon manufacturers get personal, or at least personified in the Borderlands universe :P

On the other hand Torgue weapons goddamn suck in the second game (most of them anyway). That slow bullet travel time is a killer.

#11 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -
#12 Posted by Tennmuerti (7721 posts) -

@FritzDude:

Mr Torgue seems great! Piston too. Really digging the over the top characters!

Good to see there is lot's of stuff around the arena itself and that it's not just those fights.

Guaranteed legendary seems weird.

PS: you DO want the Goliath to level up, silly developer :P

#13 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Seems focused a lot on fighting dudes, which really makes me wish they would raise the level cap. Even if only by a little.

Regardless I already have the season pass so I'll be playing this.

#14 Posted by ESREVER (2574 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee: But does this count towards the Season Pass? I thought I read something where Pitchford said that any arena based dlc will not be a part of the season pass.

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

If it's an Arena DLC, I think I'll pass.

#16 Posted by Icemo (625 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

@Morbid_Coffee: But does this count towards the Season Pass? I thought I read something where Pitchford said that any arena based dlc will not be a part of the season pass.

"Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage drops on November 20th, and you can expect it to last from six to eight hours. Those with the season pass will get the DLC for free. The rest of us can expect to drop less than a tenner." hawktaku.com

#17 Posted by ESREVER (2574 posts) -

@Icemo said:

@ESREVER said:

"Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage drops on November 20th, and you can expect it to last from six to eight hours. Those with the season pass will get the DLC for free. The rest of us can expect to drop less than a tenner." hawktaku.com

Good to know!

#18 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

Arena DLC? Worked well the last time. -___-

I'm still going to wait until next year for the eventual "GOTY Edition" or whatever it will be called that has all the DLC in it already. I have way too many games to play before even trying to get to Borderlands 2.

#19 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Wow. That was disappointing. I'll pass.

#20 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

So far, I'm extremely happy I didn't pick up the season pass.

#21 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

New SHIFT codes just dropped at Mr. Torgue's Twitter account. 6:40pm Eastern 11/16

Finally! I got a Golden Key from one of these things. Every other time, I'm too late or somethings wrong. Worse than that I keep reading how "It still works on 360" or "PC codes still active." Humph!

I'm a little sad though that others were getting 10 keys at once, and I just got the 1. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers.

#22 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

The GT thing seems to put it out as being waaaaaaaaaaay more substantial than Moxxi's 3 rooms of boredom. A new currency sounds fun too, though I don't really like using torgue guns O_o

#23 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Another new currency? Sigh, Eridium's still useless as is and the rewards from Seraph Crystals suck.

#24 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

The only thing that really sounded interesting in that video was the torque vending machines. 

They need to pull a general knoxx real quick because so far i'm not really seeing the value of this season pass. 

#25 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

Wait....it's more arena stuff?

#26 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -

Seems like it's more than just arena stuff. Haven't played too much of it, though.

Staff
#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

The only thing that really sounded interesting in that video was the torque vending machines. They need to pull a general knoxx real quick because so far i'm not really seeing the value of this season pass.

That's probably why this is coming out so soon. There'll probably be a month or two gap before they release their big one.

#28 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

Another new currency? Sigh, Eridium's still useless as is and the rewards from Seraph Crystals suck.

Pitchford hinted on twitter that they are considering using Eridium for something other than the black market and Terramorphus etc.

#29 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (690 posts) -

mr. torgue is kind of like a mix of hercule/mr. satan and jesse ventura. i like where this is going.

#30 Posted by StarvingGamer (7560 posts) -

Anyone who enjoys the BL2 style of humor should read the Mr. Torgue AMA from Reddit.

#31 Posted by golguin (3655 posts) -

I just played the first 2 hours of the new DLC and Mr. Torgue is hilarious. He suplexed a shark. He's the reincarnation of the Macho Man Randy Savage.

#32 Posted by nikolajfjordkorsgaard (3 posts) -

So how the hell do I start this DLC? I'm not going to read through this whole thread to see if it's already been answered. I just need a quick answer.

There is no new location to travel to, like in the Captain Scarlett DLC.

Again Gearbox do a very poor job on explaining this stuff . Everytime I have to start up a some new DLC in their games, I always have to make a forum post about it to find out how. Maybe it's just me that's "stupid". But I wish they would design their games/make it more obvious for stupid people like me.

#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (7560 posts) -

@nikolajfjordkorsgaard: There is a new location, it's the Badass Crater of Badassitude

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (7560 posts) -

@Solh0und said:

Wait....it's more arena stuff?

Actually 2 hours in and there's only been about 10% arena stuff.

It's more or less regular Borderlands 2. You go to a huge ass area, drive around and explore, then get funneled into a smaller more linear area that you clear to the end in order to fight a boss. The only difference is that when you reach the boss, you have to fight through an arena battle to get to him. But the arena battles don't seem like the huge arduous slogs that they were in Moxxi or even in the BL2. The first arena battle probably took about 5 minutes. For the second arena I was able to clear all 3 difficulty tiers in about 8 minutes total. And the enemies actually fight each other which makes the arenas much more chaotic/fun. Also the two arenas I've been to so far were drastically different places to fight in. The first one was a more standard giant ring surrounded by buildings and crates you could climb about 3 stories high. The second one was a two-floor bar packed very tightly.

So don't worry. It's a little more arena stuff, but mostly it's a ton more core BL2 goodness.

#35 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1594 posts) -

Played a little into this so far and it seems pretty good. Really just more Borderlands, but that's never a bad thing. The new environments are pretty neat; I really like the more urban/industrial setting. Mr. Torgue is an incredibly over-the-top but funny character. I'll venture a guess that this is a fairly substantial package like the Captain Scarlett DLC was. I like how they keep introducing new little systems or tweaking already existing ones.

#36 Posted by xMrSunshine (359 posts) -

Mr Torque is a god damn great character and the whole overly macho badass style for the DLC seems pretty cool. I also love Torque guns (I seem to be the only one) so it works out. Torque ARs and Pistols are pretty worthless but shotguns are the shit. You just need to get up close and personal with a Torque to get some damage done. Most of the hate for Torque probably comes from consoles where I can see slow bullets being a problem because of the lack of precision in aiming.

#37 Edited by TheJohn (548 posts) -

@nikolajfjordkorsgaard: I had that same problem, but fixed it by restarting Steam. My client immediately downloaded and installed the DLC, and after that I was able to fast travel to the Badass Crater of Badassitude. So if you're on PC, that might be your problem.

Edit: Also, this DLC is awesome!

#38 Edited by FaPaThY (102 posts) -

Just beat it on PT2.5, doing all the side quests, minus the raid boss one. That only took ~5hrs total, including listening to all the dialogue and reading all the quest text. Really short, but had a lot more fun than I did in DLC1 just due to it being a hell of a lot funnier.

Not a fan of the repeatable arenas besides the bar fight one. That's fun if you want a few minutes of Quake-style, close range slaughter. Also, it spawns plenty of badass enemies that'll drop torgue tokens, in addition to what you get for the quest, so it'll probably be the best spot to farm them. Sucks the legendaries from the Torgue vendor max out at only lvl 48 though.

Overall, it was worth the $5.50 it cost me.

#39 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

This shit is fucking hilarious. Definitely worth a look in.

#40 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

@FaPaThY said:

had a lot more fun than I did in DLC1 just due to it being a hell of a lot funnier

This was my first impression of the DLC after playing the first 10 minutes of it last night.

#41 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

Is anyone else finding Torgue weapons to actually be kind of effective in this DLC? I've gone into it at lvl 40 with my mechromancer to find that my fire and corrosive weapons aren't getting the desired effect, but a torgue shotgun is oddly working wonders.

#42 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (690 posts) -

@dudeglove: YES! EXPLOSIONS! TESTOSTERONE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.