Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

"Night night monglets"

Avatar image for snuggles_mcduggle
    snuggles_mcduggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By snuggles_mcduggle

Much has already been said about the humour in the game (I think it's a great part of the style of the whole thing and one of the reasons it was so successful) - From the very first battle in BL2 I noticed that the level 1 enemies are called 'monglets', which immediately reminded me of this debacle:

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/124970094328680448

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15365744

This was a big deal (for a short while) in the UK, and I'm guessing not so much in US and other parts of the world, which makes this pretty obscure for most, but I enjoyed the way this was dropped in right at the get-go. I hope I keep finding these kinds of things in the rest of the game.

Anybody else notice some obscure references in the writing/characters/levels yet?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

I think little creatures called "monglets" is generally fine; though, I wouldn't have noticed it if someone hadn't pointed it out. Just seemed like a silly creature name and nothing more.

I'd say "mongoloid" is still an offensive word; though, in my experience, the general lack of use of "mong" makes it rather inoffensive, particularly when simply used to add to another word in a silly manner. Now, I do dislike when someone says something mean or racist and then someone calls them a mongoloid; I've even seen that here on Giant Bomb before. It's such an absurd thing to deride someone for being racist by using a sadly racist term. It's simply unnecessary.

Anyway, outside of that, you'll find plenty of funny stuff in Borderlands 2. Have fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.