Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

No Dismemberment in Borderlands 2

• 58 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem

I'm just curious what you guys think about it, does it bother you, did you even notice it? 

Edit: Apparently there is no dismemberment when you set PhysX to high (don't know about mid) on the PC version, so if you care about that... try setting it to low.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By haffy

Didn't notice lol. I'm not really a fan of over the top gore anyway.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Vanek

I have actually dismembered some bandits, but that was a scripting bug that caused them to do absolutely nothing and lose their limbs which was funny. What wasn't funny was that they couldn't die.

In answer to the question though I didn't notice and now that you've mentioned it I don't mind. I only really want that sort of thing in horror games where cutting a monsters limbs off to prevent it from ripping my face off feels really good.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By probablytuna

Wait, I remember seeing some dismemberment during the TNT of Borderlands 2.....

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ervonymous

The explosive headshots and fountains of blood were so common in the first one that it felt pretty weird at first. I guess they cut it so they could have the enemies spout nonsense more frequently while keeling over.

Unless it's some PhysX exclusive "feature" like the toilets overflowing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

I think its dumb they should have put it in. They are already rated "M" and already have the "Blood & Gore" descriptor on the back of the box.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

If you go into the gameplay options and go to censor gore it says "Toggle blood, guts, and dismemberment on or off." So there must be some dismemberment.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemo

Don't really want dismemberment since there is so much blood and elemental effects flowing on the screen that I can barely even recognize the target that I'm shooting at. But you can always dismember robots if you so desire.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emem
    @ChadMasterFlash: Nope, unless you have to unlock it later in the game it's not in there. Or maybe it's just my version of the game, I don't know. ;) 

@Icemo: Oh yeah, with physx on high... it's insane. All the debris everywhere and fluids, just crazy.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I did notice that it seems to happen with much less frequency than it did in the first game, which is a little disappointing- I'm no gore-hound, but having dudes explode in the first game when you were raining shotgun blasts down on them at point blank was a refreshing change from the average FPS game's "Bullets and Explosions only make you spray red water and fall down" policy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait? It isn't in? I'm pretty sure I have blown off heads and arms of bandits.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HellBrendy

I do miss the death animations in the first game, especially those of electrical and acid deaths. Then again, throwing a grenade at a cluster of enemies only to see them turn into a red cloud... It's not really wrong that either.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Gilsham

the robots have it and they did point that out in the QL:EX so that is probably what people are thinking about

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By damodar

It's a little weird that there doesn't seem to be decapitation like in the first game, but you can still totally turn people in to chunks.

Great game though!

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

@emem:

One bandit blew up into chunks, but I suppose you're referring to arms, heads and other body parts of humans actually staying on the floor after you killed them. Didn't notice any leftovers. It would kind of be a waste of memory now that I consider it.

Also, you can totally dismember robots.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emem
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:

@emem:

One bandit blew up into chunks, but I suppose you're referring to arms, heads and other body parts of humans actually staying on the floor after you killed them. Didn't notice any leftovers. It would kind of be a waste of memory now that I consider it.

Also, you can totally dismember robots.

Yup, what I mean are the exploding heads and flying limbs everywhere from the first game.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Snail

If a psycho in a video game is coming at me trying to kill me with an axe, I'd very much like to shoot his arm off and see him moan in pain before I kill him. That would be preferable than to just shove bullets into him. I'm not sure how exactly Borderlands 2 goes about this though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer

All I do is shoot guys in the face with my sniper rifle causing their heads to pop like watermelons.

Seems fine to me.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FoolishChaos

Its a little strange because literally everything else dismembers. Skags, stalkers, robots, etc, with just bullets.

Humanoid types will only turn to chunks if you use explosives/a really high level gun on a low level dude.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By altairre

There is totally dismemberment in the game. I decapitated a few guys with Zer0's execution skill.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By aurahack

If there isn't dismemberment or gore in the game, those guys I have made explode into chunks of gore must be a serious glitch. You can also blow off heads or cut them off using Zer0.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Marz

@StarvingGamer said:

All I do is shoot guys in the face with my sniper rifle causing their heads to pop like watermelons.

Seems fine to me.

do you by chance have physx on? I have a sneaking suspicion there's a bug with it as i have mine on High and heads dont' explode even though i have my dismemberment on in the settings.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dezztroy

There is plenty of dismemberment. You can't decapitate guys with guns (or at all) anymore, but you can shoot arms and legs off just fine.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marz: Not sure, at work so can't check, but I'll deffo take a look next time I'm on (hopefully tonight).

Now I'm starting to wonder if I secretly hallucinated all of those exploding heads.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Milkman

This thread is pretty much the video game industry in a nutshell.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Demoskinos

I think its dumb they should have put it in. They are already rated "M" and already have the "Blood & Gore" descriptor on the back of the box.

There is dismemberment. I use explosive weapons a lot and regular see dudes explode into chunks and lose limbs.
    Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Samael2138

I've dismembered quite a lot of bandits. I've seen some arms and legs come off, and using explosives have completely blown several to glorious chunks. What gets me is headshots. A close range crit with a shotgun will totally make the head gib. You see the chunks fly everywhere, and yet, the model of the guy I just shot still has his head. I first thought it was a bug, but then Randy Pitchford confirmed that it was not on Kotaku.

I simply cannot understand why it would be acceptable to completely gib someone into a shower of blood and guts, and yet a simple headshot won't get the head to explode. Seems weird.

Pitchford did mention the possibility of it being patched, but nothing concrete. By the way, I'm playing a lvl 24 Gunzerker on PC with everything maxed and Physx on high.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I have definitely dismembered people in this game.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By McGhee

I was playing the game earlier today and saw a bandit's leg on the ground after I'd chucked a grenade in. So it does happen. But I really don't care either way. Since when is dismemberment a game "feature"?

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I haven't really noticed. Most of the enemies just explode when I kill them.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

There is. I've blown the hell out of a lot I'd dudes. With the turret it happens a lot. Not sure what the OP is talking about.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ripelivejam

kinda unrelated, but it was fun playing with physx enabled on a non-nvidia system. nice seeing the debris flying everywhere and my framerate jacked down to <10fps lol.

still surprised how gorgeous and yet playable this game is on my pc with everything on (save physx)

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By emem

Hm that's really strange, I'd love to see screenshots of people who say they dismembered enemies (apart from robots). When I snipe with Zer0 no enemy ever loses his head or any limbs, even with explosives they don't. Sometimes they explode into little pieces, but that's it. 

It almost sounds like some people got a cut version (and yep, I do have gore enabled).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @emem
    Hm that's really strange, I'd love to see screenshots of people who say they dismembered enemies (apart from robots). When I snipe with Zer0 no enemy ever loses his head or any limbs, even with explosives they don't. Sometimes they explode into little pieces, but that's it. 

It almost sounds like some people got a cut version (and yep, I do have gore enabled).
    What region do you live in? I just got a awesome shotgun and when it crit kills they explode into lots of little pieces.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35  Edited By JasonR86

I wasn't expecting it. The fact that the robots fall apart is more then I expected.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By pandorasbox

Who cares? It doesn't add anything to the gameplay, it's just a visual effect. It's not something most people will even notice.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hadoken101

There is definitely dismemberment in the game. I've cut off plenty of arms and legs doing melee attacks with Zer0 throughout my playthrough so far. And I have PhysX set to low so that isn't the difference.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Dagbiker

yah, I have totally gotten peoples heads to explode with my sniper rifle, and not just because of how awesome it is.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dungbootle

No dismemberment? 0/10, do not buy

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Huh, didn't even realize there was a difference. Guess it doesn't bother me then.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By octaslash

I've gotten a little over a thousand headshots with sniper rifles and haven't seen one head explode. I'm playing with PhysX on high.

Edit: I set PhysX on low and suddenly dudes are exploding when I shoot them in the head.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Marz: Ok, yeah my Physx were set to Low and heads were definitely popping.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dagbiker

@Octaslash: Yah, my PhysX have been set to low. Now I dont think I want to set them to High.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gutterkisser

This is my first Borderlands experience and I'm yet to see any dismemberment, despite torrents of blood and particles. Not the end of the world but the contrast is honestly quite distracting. Playing maxed on PC with Nvidia cards, looks like maybe PhysX is interfering somehow?

For those saying it doesn't impact gameplay; you're absolutely right, but it definitely does against the tone of the game. It's an exaggerated universe, and if I'm told the new gun I picked up is ridiculously powerful, I want that to be conveyed viscerally. Seeing a clean, intact body left after showers of blood just looks odd.

I never bothered playing Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia for a similar reason - the censored version actively sabotaged the tone and atmosphere of that setting, and it was an inferior experience as a result.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dagbiker

@Gutterkisser: try turning off Physx

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gutterkisser

Kinda unfortunate but I'll try it on Low tonight.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emem
    @The_Laughing_Man: The region isn't supposed to matter, because it's the same version everywhere. But from what people have been writing it seems to have something to do with PhysX. I've been playing on high settings as well, maybe that's the reason. 

@Gutterkisser

said: 

This is my first Borderlands experience and I'm yet to see any dismemberment, despite torrents of blood and particles. Not the end of the world but the contrast is honestly quite distracting. Playing maxed on PC with Nvidia cards, looks like maybe PhysX is interfering somehow?

For those saying it doesn't impact gameplay; you're absolutely right, but it definitely does against the tone of the game. It's an exaggerated universe, and if I'm told the new gun I picked up is ridiculously powerful, I want that to be conveyed viscerally. Seeing a clean, intact body left after showers of blood just looks odd.

I never bothered playing Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia for a similar reason - the censored version actively sabotaged the tone and atmosphere of that setting, and it was an inferior experience as a result.

Yep, I feel pretty much the same about it and since I live in Germany we've got the same problem over here with games like Left 4 Dead... I actually bought the first part through Steam directly (instead of asking someone to gift it to me) and I personally would go so far as to say that Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are both terrible games without gore. Having said that, I don't think that's the case for Borderlands, but it definitely loses a bit of its atmosphere as well, yep. 

I will probably stick with PhysX effects over dismemberment, those are just way too cool to look at.
    gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gutterkisser

@emem: I feel your pain, from what I understand Germany is (or at least was) a lot more restrictive than here. The L4D2 censorship here was absurd and so arbitrary, especially when the first one was released uncensored. And at the time, Fallout 3 enabled far worse violent deeds on elderly civillians (though that game was censored for the word 'morphine' in Australia... sigh).

But I digress, as there's no/minimal censorship going on here.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emem
    @Gutterkisser: It's pretty bad here, almost every game with violence in it gets a low violence version. Did it get worse for you over the years?  

I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't go all out when it comes to the gore in Borderlands 2 are countries like ours... I really hope Valve will figure out a way to get an age verification thingy for Steam one day. I would personally call every single account user who claims to be of age and talk to their parents if they sounded like 12 (not for free, of course). ;)
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @emem
    @Gutterkisser: It's pretty bad here, almost every game with violence in it gets a low violence version. Did it get worse for you over the years?  

I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't go all out when it comes to the gore in Borderlands 2 are countries like ours... I really hope Valve will figure out a way to get an age verification thingy for Steam one day. I would personally call every single account user who claims to be of age and talk to their parents if they sounded like 12 (not for free, of course). ;)
    I doubt that's why they did not go crazy with the violence. And as we see in the tread there IS dismemberment. It spuds more like that one option just does not allow it for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.