Olly Moss kind of pissed at Gearbox

• 174 results
#1 Edited by PeZ (113 posts) -

Well this thing kind of blew out of proportions, so I'm going to fix this OP, for posteritys sake and for someone to make an easy wiki trivia post some day.

Who is Olly Moss and why should I care?

Olly Moss is an artist known for his remakes of movie posters in his pretty distinct style that mostly relies on silhouettes of key scenes and figures from the movies. On the games side, he did the pretty nice Resistance 3 cover. Well, nice until they did this to it.

Ok, so what happened?

First there was this tweet:

Referring to this inlay of the Borderlands 2 box art. Kind of seemed a little douchey, he didn't 'invent' the style and is himself inspired by the works of Saul Bass, so I made the thread. However, after a few tweets, it became clear he just meant he would have gladly made the  insert himself and wished somebody had asked. 

But then someone noticed this:

Which way too direct of a rip, and not ok. Shots fired!

And how was it resolved?

To which Olly replied: 

Also, the community manager at Gearbox had this to say: 

Chris Faylor, Community Manager from Gearbox Software, here. Want to provide a bit more insight into this unfortunate situation.

First off, thanks to everyone that posted here or in any other way made an effort to bring this to our attention -- as a team that thrives on creative works, ensuring that fellow artists receives proper credit for their work is of utmost importance to us and without your vigilance this may have regrettably slipped by.

The art in question was intended to be an homage to the work of Olly Moss and Saul Bass as a gesture of the deep respect and appreciation the development team has for them and and their work, and was created by a contracted marketing artist. Taking inspiration from the things we love is a big part of our creative process, but the idea of things being outright lifted is not something we condone and the contracted marketing artist responsible for the piece will now be dealing with those consequences.

We have also been in touch with Olly Moss to discuss the matter, and, as part of that, the possibility of future collaborations between Olly Moss and Gearbox Software has come up. While both Olly and Gearbox are very busy at the moment, we're very excited about the possibilities and optimistic about a future collaboration effort.

And Kotaku has a pretty nice write up as well. So as you can see, Moss is not really a bad guy and I shouldn't make threads about tweets, all is well.

My original post:

#2 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Who is Olly Moss and why is he so mad? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm sincerely wondering who he is and why he feels he has such claim on a picture he (apparently) didn't create himself.

#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -
#4 Edited by handlas (2748 posts) -

I love his art...

but just to be clear... he didn't do that artwork and they just used it right? This is another artist that just did a similar style. If so, that's pretty dumb to get upset about. He has trademarked silhouettes?

I guess the color scheme is somewhat similar to his Resistance 3 boxart but... still it's stretching to say they ripped him off.

edit: Oh yeah, his Star Wars posters. I see the relation more strongly now... still I see no problem.

#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

who?

#6 Posted by PeZ (113 posts) -

@Azteck: Well he has lately been known for his style and doing remakes of old movie posters (kind of ironic, no?), you can see them in the Tested videos of Norms house, and so on. But that claim kind of suggests he "invented" the style or whatever. His work looks really nice though http://ollymoss.com/

#7 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

Guess what olly, china dont care!

#8 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Yeah okay. As if he was the first person, or the last person, to use a silhouette like that. If he's upset that it's similar to his Star Wars posters, I'm sure the hundreds of people on Deviantart who probably do the same style are upset that his Star Wars posters copied them.

#9 Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse (144 posts) -

Well from reading the rest of his tweets it seems OP is not being fair. He doesn’t seem pissed he sounds like he would have loved the chance to work with a developer he likes, not pissed they copied more sad they did not ask for him. Now that does sound a little up his own arse to be fair but still, if i had a signature style in anything and someone went out and get a similar one because the style I was known for was popular I would be a little sad to.

#10 Posted by MEATBALL (3469 posts) -

I thought it was pretty blatant, myself. If he feels ripped off I think he has every right to feel that way.

#11 Posted by PeZ (113 posts) -

@Ekpyroticuniverse: yeah, his last few tweets kind of backpedal and say he's dissapointed because he would have loved to do the work himself, but the first tweet kind of made it look like they had ripped him off somehow. Shouldn't post first emotions to twitter, I guess. (Or make forum threads about said tweets :) )

#12 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@PeZ: Oh him! Yeah I know his stuff but it's hardly groundbreaking, certainly not enough for him to have any problem with Gearbox emulating it. Hell, they might not even know he exists for all he knows. Seems kind of like he's just looking for reasons to be annoyed if that is the battle he chooses.

#13 Edited by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@PeZ said:

@Ekpyroticuniverse: yeah, his last few tweets kind of backpedal and say he's dissapointed because he would have loved to do the work himself, but the first tweet kind of made it look like they had ripped him off somehow. Shouldn't post first emotions to twitter, I guess. (Or make forum threads about said tweets :) )

I now deem this whole thread pointless.

#14 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@PeZ: Because artists are the most insecure people on the planet, even more so then musicians. Also, money money money money money money.

#15 Posted by Christoffer (1917 posts) -

Ouch, I would be pretty pissed as well. I'm all for getting inspiration from other artists styles but that is just too blatant.

#16 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

I have no idea who this guy is and why I should even care.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda: I'm with you. Everyone made a big deal over the Resistance 3 cover. I thought it looked ugly as fuck.

#18 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1743 posts) -

As you can see here, they straight lifted assets from one of his posters. I'm siding with mr. Moss on this one, it's kind of a dick move.

#19 Posted by handlas (2748 posts) -

@VilhelmNielsen said:

As you can see here, they straight lifted assets from one of his posters. I'm siding with mr. Moss on this one, it's kind of a dick move.

The sky? Ya, that's bad actually. Looks identical like they traced right over it. Okay, I reverse judgement now if they indeed straight up ripped off a portion of his artwork.

#20 Posted by PeZ (113 posts) -

@VilhelmNielsen: Oh man that's kind of another thing now, and not ok.

#21 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

I'm all for defending intellectual property in very specific circumstances, but fuck this noise.

He did not create it and the idea that he has right to a certain 'style' is beyond belief.

#22 Posted by PeZ (113 posts) -

We should now decide how to call this. Mossgate? Ollygate?

#23 Posted by Maajin (1088 posts) -

@VilhelmNielsen said:

Oh, man! That's pretty bad.

#24 Edited by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

I don't really know what to make of this. It's a straight-up style rip for sure, no question about that. But can he even do anything about it, if he wanted to?

#25 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Just because he doesn't have the "rights" to that style does not make it okay for them to blatantly rip it. And they definitely know who he is, he did the cover for resistance 3 and has done a lot of video game related work. There's a difference between them doing something "inspired" by him or "similar in style" and just straight jacking his stuff, which is what this is. Right down to the colour scheme and composition. Stealing assets just makes it even worse.

#26 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@VilhelmNielsen said:

That's...Really awful.

#27 Edited by Rockbrain (8 posts) -

I think the tweet should have read "I'm a huge gearbox fan and I'm glad to see an homage to my work in the game."

#28 Posted by impartialgecko (1685 posts) -

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery Olly, talk to Gearbox for Borderlands 3

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Moss has no reason to be pissy over this.

And I'd say he's overrated anyway. No one would give a shit about who Moss is if it wasn't for that Obama "Hope" art he did four years ago.

#30 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@Maajin: That image specifically does say a lot, and for those wondering, he also did the box art for resistance 3, so it's not like he couldn't have done this too if they'd asked.

#31 Posted by BonOrbitz (2250 posts) -

@Rockbrain said:

I think the tweet should have read "I'm a huge gearbox fan and I'm glad to see an homage to my work in the game."

Actually, it should be "I'm a huge gearbox fan and I'm glad to see an homage to my work in the game though I'm disappointed I didn't do it. Hit me up me for BL3!"

My only criticism about the BL3 work is that sky should have had a different zig-zag pattern to it. It is too similar to the ESB poster. Gearbox definitely should have pursued him for doing artwork for BL2 but if he was out of their budget then I feel that it's okay to get an artist to replicate his style. That's how the graphic design world works sometimes.

#32 Posted by AlisterCat (5714 posts) -

Holy crap the cloud trails are identical. I love Olly Moss. I don't think it's a big deal that they used that style but that is straight up theft.

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

And why should I care again? Guy doesn't seem to be upset so please stop saying so with a dumb thread like this.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

I like Olly Moss's work but the notion that he somehow owns the silhouetted 'style' is ridiculous. That would be like if a band claimed they owned drop D tuning or double bass or something. 

Now, referring to the picture in this post: 
@VilhelmNielsen said:

He totally has a right to be upset about the sky being a direct fucking copy, if that's what he's actually referring to (and I'd have to imagine it is). But if he's only upset because "Hey the style of their poster looks like that thing I did!" then he's full of himself.
#35 Posted by AlexW00d (6431 posts) -

Zig zag clouds guys, ZIG ZAG FUCKING CLOUDS.

#36 Edited by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Moss has no reason to be pissy over this.

And I'd say he's overrated anyway. No one would give a shit about who Moss is if it wasn't for that Obama "Hope" art he did four years ago.

You do know that Olly Moss and Shepard Fairey are in no way the same person, right? I mean for one, Olly Moss isn't even American.

Also, there's this little issue:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

#38 Posted by Ekpyroticuniverse (144 posts) -

@handlas: Ok so i thourght at first like ok i get his feelings now though now i understand thats a shit move to rip a guys style and not just that but some of his actual work.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@iAmJohn I stand corrected. Somewhere, I read that the art was credited to him. Obviously, that source was wrong.
#40 Posted by Sgtpierceface (643 posts) -

Hey guys. People keep saying that he didn't create the sillouhette style. Can somebody show me an example of a poster that has a white background, uses the outline of a main character, and then uses portions of the movie/game/whatever to create the facial features of the main outline, that was done before Olly Moss? Even if you can show me that, they still used a part of his image. In my opinion, Moss is completely in the right.

#41 Edited by Milkman (17311 posts) -

So much wrong with this thread.

1. He's not pissed. If anything he's disappointed but if you actually read what he wrote, he's in no way "pissed."

2. No one's saying he invented this style but if you actually look at this work, this is a pretty blatant rip off.

3. Saying "who?" does not make you cool. If you don't know who someone is, either don't say anything or google it like a normal person. No one is impressed with your obliviousness.

#42 Posted by themangalist (1747 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@PeZ: Because artists are the most insecure people on the planet, even more so then musicians. Also, money money money money money money.

That is so true. Artists probably make even less money than musicians, given their talent is all they have... but honestly, in an age where there are thousands of aspiring art college student out there, we're going to see at least 200000 Olly-inspired works in the next 5 years on DeviantArt. I think it is great that one can be inspiring the next generation of art, and not being a douche like Apple.

#43 Posted by Milkman (17311 posts) -

@Sgtpierceface said:

Hey guys. People keep saying that he didn't create the sillouhette style. Can somebody show me an example of a poster that has a white background, uses the outline of a main character, and then uses portions of the movie/game/whatever to create the facial features of the main outline, that was done before Olly Moss? Even if you can show me that, they still used a part of his image. In my opinion, Moss is completely in the right.

They can't because people on the internet would much rather yell "derp fuck this guy" than actually have any idea what they're talking about.

#44 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

You should really edit your op @PeZ:.

#45 Posted by chilibean_3 (1691 posts) -

When I first clicked on the link I didn't see the issue and assumed he was just being whiny for no reason. Then I scrolled down. Yeah, that's meant to look like his stuff.

#46 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

I don't think Gearbox can be faulted for this as they can't be reasonably expected to know where all their many artists are getting all their many assets. This is one artist's fault who was too lazy to draw his own sandy road. Gearbox paid that person when they should have been paying Moss.

IMO both Olly Moss and Gearbox have been duped here.

#47 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

You know, the man didn't invent the silhouette style, but that's pretty blatant.

#48 Posted by Sgtpierceface (643 posts) -
@Damian I think the problem with Gearbox in this situation, is that chances are somebody higher up said "Make something that looks like it was made by Olly Moss". I'm assuming that a random artist at Gearbox didn't decide by himself to use this style.
#49 Posted by handlas (2748 posts) -

@Sgtpierceface said:

@Damian I think the problem with Gearbox in this situation, is that chances are somebody higher up said "Make something that looks like it was made by Olly Moss". I'm assuming that a random artist at Gearbox didn't decide by himself to use this style.

Sounds about right. Happens all the time at my work and being on a very limited schedule at my current job it's sometimes hard to be original. Still, the artist can't trace someone's artwork cuz that sky just looks straight up copied.

#50 Edited by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

The deal is that one background layer is directly 100% lifted, stolen, from his work on that one Star Wars poster. It's not only illegal, it's also really freaking stupid.

Side-by-side if you've got the time please.

e: Oh, leaving the reply window open for too long.. http://img.ly/nBiQ posted on the last page. Hope they do something about the artist behind this rip

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.