Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Olly Moss kind of pissed at Gearbox

• 173 results
    alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By alexpiercey

Also, this thread has gotten way too hostile. Kind of like the story in general, huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@BonOrbitz said:

@Sgtpierceface said:

Hey guys. People keep saying that he didn't create the sillouhette style. Can somebody show me an example of a poster that has a white background, uses the outline of a main character, and then uses portions of the movie/game/whatever to create the facial features of the main outline, that was done before Olly Moss? Even if you can show me that, they still used a part of his image. In my opinion, Moss is completely in the right.

Nothing that specific comes to mind, but Olly Moss' work as we know it today would be nothing if there wasn't Saul Bass. In a way, one could say Moss ripped him off. He was heavily inspired by Bass and added his own creative contribution of using portions of the subject matter to create features of the outline. Every artist is a cannibal.

Man, I love Saul Bass. DOSE HITCHCOCK COVERS! HNNNNNNNNNG!

Here's an awesome tribute vid to him that was released last year in conjunction with a book about his work.

As for this deal, it's a pretty heinous case of straight up theft when you compare the backgrounds. Inspiration is one thing, copy-paste is something else.

Speaking of fraudulent practices, I wonder if Anamanaguchi will get any compensation for Disney straight up copying their music in their trailer for this pixel app.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By plaintomato

Clearly Apple should sue somebody over this.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@TeflonBilly:

Wow, that's...blatant.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By alexpiercey
    @plaintomato This work has rounded edges! We demand 100 billion dollars!
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By BonOrbitz

@TeflonBilly: Nice find Teflon! HNNNNNNNNNG!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dallas_Raines said:

@TeflonBilly:

Wow, that's...blatant.

Yeah, it's pretty gross. Though it's kinda hilars how huge the dislike bar on the Disney Apps YouTube page is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BonOrbitz said:

@TeflonBilly: Nice find Teflon! HNNNNNNNNNG!

Thanks, here's another great piece which is in Saul Bass' style that someone made for X-Men: First Class.

It's pretty ace. I love the rendition of the X-Men cartoon theme set over it as well.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By BonOrbitz

@TeflonBilly: That's ballsnasty. It definitely has a feel of that era especially due to the low-fi music (best rendition of the cartoon theme!). Regarding your Bass title credits video, didn't he do Dr. No? I didn't see it in there...

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By MiniPato

@DoctorWelch said:

So, I guess we've all learned that people that make art don't realize that other people can make art too.

Ironic how he is known for taking something someone else created, and simply stylizing it a bit, and now he's pissed someone's "taking" something of his.

Um, seriously? When you look at the two posters, you don't see a near exact similarity? Homage is homage,but when you start making money off of it without the original artist's consent then that's a whole different story. Art is art, but as I said before graphic design is just as much an art as it is a business and sometimes you have to treat it as a business.

And I don't see why you have "taking" in quotes when the person did directly lift those cloud designs from Olly Moss' "Empire Stikes Back" poster. You make what Olly Moss does sound simple and easy. Truth is, if it were so simple, everyone would be a graphic designer. When you actually try to do it yourself, it's a lot harder to emulate what Moss does. Minimalism does not equal easy.

Either way I don't see why people are calling him an asshole. For all the big corporations and suits being overprotective of their creative properties, Olly is level headed and really not all that pissed as the thread title implies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BonOrbitz said:

@TeflonBilly: That's ballsnasty. It definitely has a feel of that era especially due to the low-fi music (best rendition of the cartoon theme!). Regarding your Bass title credits video, didn't he do Dr. No? I didn't see it in there...

Common and easy mistake to make, but it's actually Maurice Binder who did Dr. No and most of the classic James Bond title sequences.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MiniPato: Yeah, people who brush off his minimalist art as "easy" should have a gander at Exit Through The Gift Shop and look at Mr. BMW and see how "easy" it is to make quality out of it.

What a hilarious meta-indictment of the whole art scene that flick is.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BonOrbitz

@TeflonBilly said:

@BonOrbitz said:

Common mistake, but it's actually Maurice Binder who did Dr. No and most of the classic James Bond title sequences.

That's right! I did know that, but it's been so long since I've seen that name because it's been so long since I've watched a classic Bond film and he's listed in the opening credits. It would have been great to see Bass or Moss' take on the Bond title sequence and movie posters. Moss did a Goldeneye 64 poster, but that's the only thing Bond related I believe.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By thedj93

@adam1808 said:

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery Olly, talk to Gearbox for Borderlands 3

id play that game

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BasketSnake

This WILL have consequences. Mark my word!!! (Don't give a shit, firing up Borderlands)

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

@CosmicBatman said:

Also, the guy sells posters that are clearly infringing on copyright laws in the first place.

That's not correct. He sells through Mondo Tees, who make contracts and deals with studios.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By beepmachine

@CosmicBatman said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Also, the guy sells posters that are clearly infringing on copyright laws in the first place.

Please tell me this is a joke. He gets commissioned to do his works.

Anyway, Moss has said before that he is heavily influenced by Saul Bass and Milton Glaser and those guys, but he actually developed his own style inspired by it. But this "artwork" has taken his style and changed...nothing. Literally nothing. They took the cheap way out, getting someone to ape his style.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MiniPato

@CosmicBatman said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Also, the guy sells posters that are clearly infringing on copyright laws in the first place.

Actually, a lot of, if not all, his works are officially licensed. For example, the Totoro posters and Mononoke posters are commissioned by Ghibli. He works with Mondo to make movie posters for the studios that commission them.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Damian

@Sgtpierceface said:

Tweet to from Randy "@ollymoss You're amazing. Inspiration is part of art and you've inspired us. But the bit that was lifted is uncool, so... consequences."

That was quick. And goes to show how easy it is to NOT be a dick in this situation, and at the same time quell a PR headache and potential lawsuit (which Moss surely would have won, not that he'd have sued).

toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By toadstule

@CosmicBatman said:

Fair enough, also he Isn't even that mad https://twitter.com/ollymoss/status/249155376019300352.

Good guy Olly. Still too bad that some Gearbox artist lifted the clouds straight out of his work though. Reminds me a bit of when some artist at Capcom used a watermarked IGN image for the cover art of the Okami Wii version.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By MiniPato

@CosmicBatman said:

Fair enough, also he Isn't even that mad https://twitter.com/ollymoss/status/249155376019300352.

Yeah, he isn't that mad. Which is why I'm mad. People are calling him an asshole and discrediting him as an artist because they love Borderlands 2 and can't stand to see someone go against it. That's the funny thing about fandom. They'll defend a holocaust denier if they made their favorite game, movie, book, or music album. And Gearbox might not even be responsible for the artist that ripped off his work! So people aren't even necessarily defending Gearbox!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#123  Edited By jay_ray

While it is very similar to his Star Wars posters and as a passionate artist he has every right to feel some what slighted I think that because the art is not the real box art and not part of marketing or anything like that there is nothing wrong with the reversible box art (more studios should put cool art on the back of the boring/standard box art).

Avatar image for lemonadesweetheart
    lemonadesweetheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MiniPato said:

Minimalism does not equal easy.

This is readily observable. Amateur minimalist reinterpretations of popular movie posters are already kind of a cliche, and most of them are comically half-assed.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BonOrbitz: I'm not sure how well Saul Bass would pull off the sexiness of a Bond intro. He always veered more towards whimsy or serious in his style.

Binder had all those female silhouettes and such. Hell, the awesome Snake Eater intro which is a terrific homage to Maurice Binder managed to stay sexy even without having any women in it and mostly snakes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#126  Edited By jakob187

Olly Moss is actually mad about this?

I guess I shouldn't show him the replications I had made of his Star Wars posters that are hanging in my house. O_____O

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By BulletproofMonk

@jakob187 said:

Olly Moss is actually mad about this?

No, he's not.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#128  Edited By viking_funeral

@Ekpyroticuniverse said:

Well from reading the rest of his tweets it seems OP is not being fair. He doesn’t seem pissed he sounds like he would have loved the chance to work with a developer he likes, not pissed they copied more sad they did not ask for him. Now that does sound a little up his own arse to be fair but still, if i had a signature style in anything and someone went out and get a similar one because the style I was known for was popular I would be a little sad to.

Doesn't matter. People will skim the first post and respond to the tone, rather than the full story. Sucks for Olly, doubly.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Rockbrain said:

I think the tweet should have read "I'm a huge gearbox fan and I'm glad to see an homage to my work in the game."

It's not really homage if they straight up took portions of his artwork and added it to their own. The sky in the background is identical.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#130  Edited By s-a-n-JR

That's not cool. If it were me, I'd be more pissed than Olly is (or apparently isn't) right now.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's shitty some asshole took assets from his art but its nice seeing both sides (Olly and Randy) being super respectful about it.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By sickVisionz

They got him for his swag and some zig zags. Shame on the jacker. Getting his style is whatever as there will always be copycats but they didn't have to trace the zig zags. They coulda just done a knock off version that would have worked just as well.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133  Edited By DoctorWelch

@MiniPato said:

@DoctorWelch said:

So, I guess we've all learned that people that make art don't realize that other people can make art too.

Ironic how he is known for taking something someone else created, and simply stylizing it a bit, and now he's pissed someone's "taking" something of his.

Um, seriously? When you look at the two posters, you don't see a near exact similarity? Homage is homage,but when you start making money off of it without the original artist's consent then that's a whole different story. Art is art, but as I said before graphic design is just as much an art as it is a business and sometimes you have to treat it as a business.

And I don't see why you have "taking" in quotes when the person did directly lift those cloud designs from Olly Moss' "Empire Stikes Back" poster. You make what Olly Moss does sound simple and easy. Truth is, if it were so simple, everyone would be a graphic designer. When you actually try to do it yourself, it's a lot harder to emulate what Moss does. Minimalism does not equal easy.

Either way I don't see why people are calling him an asshole. For all the big corporations and suits being overprotective of their creative properties, Olly is level headed and really not all that pissed as the thread title implies.

Yes, seriously. He has no right to an art style. If someone else can create a piece of art that goes for the same style and do it successfully, then they are allowed to. You just destroyed your own argument by saying it's hard, and if everyone could do it they would. Therefore, if someone can go for that style and do it like they did, they must be skilled as well. Maybe they didn't come up with the EXACT style, but this "almighty" Olly Moss isn't exactly some pioneer in design or artistic style. He simply rips off know icons in pop culture and puts an artistic spin on it.

And yes, it's ironic because all of his art is really pushing the bounds of copy right law, and chances are, if someone wanted to sue they would have the grounds to do so. While, if he tried to sue the person that made that Borderlands art, it would be a joke.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Akrid

Lifting an element makes this bad. Not sure what he was upset about before that surfaced though.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@DoctorWelch said:

He simply rips off know icons in pop culture and puts an artistic spin on it.

That's kind of what pop art is. Warhol didn't design the Campbell's soup can.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Jimbo

I bet he's totally getting a free copy of Borderlands 2 and perhaps a t-shirt.

GBX_ChrisF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By GBX_ChrisF

Chris Faylor, Community Manager from Gearbox Software, here. Want to provide a bit more insight into this unfortunate situation.

First off, thanks to everyone that posted here or in any other way made an effort to bring this to our attention -- as a team that thrives on creative works, ensuring that fellow artists receives proper credit for their work is of utmost importance to us and without your vigilance this may have regrettably slipped by.

The art in question was intended to be an homage to the work of Olly Moss and Saul Bass as a gesture of the deep respect and appreciation the development team has for them and and their work, and was created by a contracted marketing artist. Taking inspiration from the things we love is a big part of our creative process, but the idea of things being outright lifted is not something we condone and the contracted marketing artist responsible for the piece will now be dealing with those consequences.

We have also been in touch with Olly Moss to discuss the matter, and, as part of that, the possibility of future collaborations between Olly Moss and Gearbox Software has come up. While both Olly and Gearbox are very busy at the moment, we're very excited about the possibilities and optimistic about a future collaboration effort.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By JackOhara

@VilhelmNielsen said:

As you can see here, they straight lifted assets from one of his posters. I'm siding with mr. Moss on this one, it's kind of a dick move.

sheeeeeeit

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Snail

Kind of arrogant on his part. Actually kind of makes him sound like an egotistic asshole, but maybe he's just afraid he's losing his iconic trademark?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Spoonman671

How are we still discussing this?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By MiniPato

@DoctorWelch said:

@MiniPato said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Yes, seriously. He has no right to an art style. If someone else can create a piece of art that goes for the same style and do it successfully, then they are allowed to. You just destroyed your own argument by saying it's hard, and if everyone could do it they would. Therefore, if someone can go for that style and do it like they did, they must be skilled as well. Maybe they didn't come up with the EXACT style, but this "almighty" Olly Moss isn't exactly some pioneer in design or artistic style. He simply rips off know icons in pop culture and puts an artistic spin on it.

And yes, it's ironic because all of his art is really pushing the bounds of copy right law, and chances are, if someone wanted to sue they would have the grounds to do so. While, if he tried to sue the person that made that Borderlands art, it would be a joke.

I did not defeat my own argument. It's hard to do a minimalist art style of your own. But it's easy to follow a blueprint of someone else's. It doesn't take skill to take a layout and composition that someone else came up with and replace them with their own characters. It certainly doesn't take skill to take a copy and paste a background from a work and put it in your own. It's like taking someone else's essay and replacing all the words with synonyms. It doesn't matter if it's not the author's original words, it still constitutes as plagiarism.

And did you miss the part where all his works are promotional commissions from the studios themselves? He has permission. Once again you're simplifying pop-art as something that can easily be done and be made effective. It's not simple and until you try it yourself, you can't make a sweeping generalization like that without looking like a complete fool.

I don't want to make this a big deal as Chris already admitted above that it was an homage.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DoctorWelch

@MiniPato said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@MiniPato said:

I did not defeat my own argument. It's hard to do a minimalist art style of your own. But it's easy to follow a blueprint of someone else's. It doesn't take skill to take a layout and composition that someone else came up with and replace them with their own characters. It certainly doesn't take skill to take a copy and paste a background from a work and put it in your own. It's like taking someone else's essay and replacing all the words with synonyms. It doesn't matter if it's not the author's original words, it still constitutes as plagiarism.

And did you miss the part where all his works are promotional commissions from the studios themselves? He has permission. Once again you're simplifying pop-art as something that can easily be done and be made effective. It's not simple and until you try it yourself, you can't make a sweeping generalization like that without looking like a complete fool.

I don't want to make this a big deal as Chris already admitted above that it was an homage.

You've already made it a big deal by getting all butt hurt and arguing about something because you are so desperate to believe that something you create is wholly your own. Everyone that knows anything about artistic creation knows that nothing is truly original because everyone is inspired, and everyone steals ideas from other previous works. The fact is, if you don't like someone stealing your style and making something of their own with it, then you should stop making art.

If anything, he should be super excited they ripped him off. The fact that there are people who want to do something similar should be flattering, not infuriating. He invented a specific work of art, he did not invent a style. Therefore, he has a right to his specific art, not the style. Otherwise, others that came before him would have every right to be pissed at him for stealing parts of "their" style as well.

I didn't realize he actually had permission to make those posters, but that is kind of beside the point. The point is, his clame to fame, the reason why he is known by anyone, is more due to the popularity of the work that came before him, not the style he is putting over top of it. Only a fraction of the people would care about this guy and his art if he were recreating simple landscapes or scenery.

The fact is he has no right to be mad about someone taking a style he didn't invent, especially when a large part of his success relies on things other people made.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#143  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Guys he called dibs on that kind of style before Gear Box, so by dibs rule they can't use it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ajamafalous

This thread needs a lock or OP needs to edit his post or something; ton of people coming into the thread, reading the OP, then commenting without reading all of the developments that have happened since the thread started.  

@GBX_ChrisF: Thanks for the heads up, Chris. And definitely thanks for being open about the situation. There's no quicker way for a developer to earn respect than to be honest and open.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By BionicRadd

@GBX_ChrisF said:

Chris Faylor, Community Manager from Gearbox Software, here. Want to provide a bit more insight into this unfortunate situation.

First off, thanks to everyone that posted here or in any other way made an effort to bring this to our attention -- as a team that thrives on creative works, ensuring that fellow artists receives proper credit for their work is of utmost importance to us and without your vigilance this may have regrettably slipped by.

The art in question was intended to be an homage to the work of Olly Moss and Saul Bass as a gesture of the deep respect and appreciation the development team has for them and and their work, and was created by a contracted marketing artist. Taking inspiration from the things we love is a big part of our creative process, but the idea of things being outright lifted is not something we condone and the contracted marketing artist responsible for the piece will now be dealing with those consequences.

We have also been in touch with Olly Moss to discuss the matter, and, as part of that, the possibility of future collaborations between Olly Moss and Gearbox Software has come up. While both Olly and Gearbox are very busy at the moment, we're very excited about the possibilities and optimistic about a future collaboration effort.

Just quoting this in hopes more people actually read it. This is really not that big a deal and the OP title needs to be edited.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Olly Moss really just ripping off Saul Bass anyway? What's he getting mad at...

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By MiniPato

@DoctorWelch said:

@MiniPato said:

You've already made it a big deal by getting all butt hurt and arguing about something because you are so desperate to believe that something you create is wholly your own. Everyone that knows anything about artistic creation knows that nothing is truly original because everyone is inspired, and everyone steals ideas from other previous works. The fact is, if you don't like someone stealing your style and making something of their own with it, then you should stop making art.

If anything, he should be super excited they ripped him off. The fact that there are people who want to do something similar should be flattering, not infuriating. He invented a specific work of art, he did not invent a style. Therefore, he has a right to his specific art, not the style. Otherwise, others that came before him would have every right to be pissed at him for stealing parts of "their" style as well.

I didn't realize he actually had permission to make those posters, but that is kind of beside the point. The point is, his clame to fame, the reason why he is known by anyone, is more due to the popularity of the work that came before him, not the style he is putting over top of it. Only a fraction of the people would care about this guy and his art if he were recreating simple landscapes or scenery.

The fact is he has no right to be mad about someone taking a style he didn't invent, especially when a large part of his success relies on things other people made.

Oh great, personal attacks now? The reason I'm making it a big deal is not because of the issue itself, but more the reaction to the issue. It's great that Moss and Gearbox isn't making a big deal about it. But what isn't great is people takes this as free reign to discredit him as an artist and creative individual because he reacted the way he did. It's not great that people call him an asshole for reacting the way that he initially did when he has a right to. Yes, nothing is new under the sun and yet people still come up with fresh and original art by taking inspiration from other artists and doing their own thing with it.

What difference does it make if he made posters about Star Wars or some nobody that no one knows about? The quality of art work does not always directly relate to the popularity of the subject matter. The reason he is popular is BECAUSE he puts his own style on top of it. The exact opposite of what you said. Is Andy Warhol less of an artist because he relies on pop culture icons to make his art?

I'm not taking issue with the Borderlands thing. I'm taking issue with your ad hominem approach to debate, your shallow and shortsighted understanding of art and the difference between inspiration and imitation . Our argument has far surpassed the subject of this thread. If you want to keep debating with me, I'll be happy to through PM. Well, honestly I won't be happy to cause I'm fucking tired of arguing. But if you feel the urge to extend this debate further, do it through PM.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By DoctorWelch

@MiniPato said:

Oh great, personal attacks now? The reason I'm making it a big deal is not because of the issue itself, but more the reaction to the issue. It's great that Moss and Gearbox isn't making a big deal about it. But what isn't great is people takes this as free reign to discredit him as an artist and creative individual because he reacted the way he did. It's not great that people call him an asshole for reacting the way that he initially did when he has a right to. Yes, nothing is new under the sun and yet people still come up with fresh and original art by taking inspiration from other artists and doing their own thing with it.

What difference does it make if he made posters about Star Wars or some nobody that no one knows about? The quality of art work does not always directly relate to the popularity of the subject matter. The reason he is popular is BECAUSE he puts his own style on top of it. The exact opposite of what you said. Is Andy Warhol less of an artist because he relies on pop culture icons to make his art?

I'm not taking issue with the Borderlands thing. I'm taking issue with your ad hominem approach to debate, your shallow and shortsighted understanding of art and the difference between inspiration and imitation . Our argument has far surpassed the subject of this thread. If you want to keep debating with me, I'll be happy to through PM.

See, this is where you're wrong. He had no right to be mad at all, and he is an asshole (at least in that specific case) for being so. You are still trying to claim he has some kind of right to his style of art, and because of this you aren't understanding the comparison to his use of things other people created. I will try to spell it out one more time, and if you don't understand, I can't help you and will be done with the conversation. So, let's break it down.

1. To understand this, let's break down the art into two parts. First, the use of something someone else created that is protected by copyright law. Whether he had permission to us it or not is irrelevant to this part. The part that matters is that it is something another person created, and it is protected. Second, the style he chooses to bring to it, which is neither protected by any law, nor uniquely his own. Therefore, it is deemed usable by anyone for the good of artistic community.

2. We can then divide the Borderlands image into two parts as well. First, the use of something that was created by the people working within Gearbox. The actually people that created the protected work in question. Second, the use of an artistic style that was chosen, which is neither protected by any law, nor uniquely the companies own.

This is the inherent difference, and why I make the comparison. He complained about someone using something that is not his, and also not protected, while a good portion of his work's success is due to the use of protected material which he had no part in creating. This is, of course, not to say he isn't talented. but like I said before, he should be ecstatic that someone is doing things simliar to himself, not because he is some god of art that created this wonderful style, but because he knows he is the inspiration and the reason this style is popular due to his skill at creation

This is the essence of the backlash. He has no problem using someone else's protected creation to help his work, and yet he gets mad when someone uses something that is in no way his, but rather, something he helped make popular. Therein lies the contradiction, and the reason for the reaction.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RedRoach

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Guys he called dibs on that kind of style before Gear Box, so by dibs rule they can't use it.

Clearly you didn't see the post that linked to a comparison shot that showed the exact same assets being used.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By MiniPato

@DoctorWelch:

I said PM me gosh darnit! People seem to tire of seeing this thread bumped.

There are hundreds of paintings of the Notre Dame cathedral. You think because they didn't design the architecture of the cathedral they can have their work copied without any credit due? Not talking royalties, but just some kind of acknowledgement?

Whether he created the subject matter in his artwork does not matter because he created an original composition that presented the subject matter in a visually effective and captivating way. The artist of the BL2 poster did not create an original composition. He took the characters of BL2 and incorporated them into a preexisting design. And in case you forgot, the background was RIPPED DIRECTLY from his Empire Strikes back poster. You think he doesn't have the right to be pissed about that?

Imitation is the biggest form of flattery and Olly Moss is flattered. Except most people in this thread didn't know it was an imitation or who Olly Moss was until he himself had to point out that the poster was an homage to his own work. It's evident from this thread that he isn't that big an artist. So you think it's okay, if you're still trying to make a name for yourself, for someone to emulate your style and not acknowledge you for it while you remain relatively unknown? Flattery is flattery, but you still gotta eat and get your name out there and he has a right to point out that the BL2 poster is an homage to him. Even Gearbox themselves admitted it after the fact that Moss (and Bass) was who they wanted to pay homage to. And in a sense they are acknowledging his right to react in the fashion that he did. And might I remind you he isn't really mad at all. Except for perhaps the part where his cloud background was copied directly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.