Randy Pitchford giving out Golden Key codes on twitter.

• 144 results
#1 Edited by Centimani (550 posts) -

NEW CODES FOR 10/5 AND 10/6

From the Gearbox Software Twitter:

"We'll be posting codes on 10/5 at 6PM and 11PM CT and on 10/6 at 5AM, 11AM and 3PM CT. Each code will be able to be used once per account, and will be active for three hours apiece."

I'll post the ones I can when I'm near a computer. I'm sure someone else will be doing the same in the thread.

#2 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

You da man, man. Now I won't be all anxious about saving the keys for a level 50 character.

#3 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Works. Nice find :)

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Thanks dude it made me register for a shift account and I ended up with 2 golden keys. Don't have twitter so I would have never known of this.

#5 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

Can you only redeem it in-game?

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

Thanks. Don't really feel like cheating to get these golden keys so this is good.

#7 Posted by Blommer4 (198 posts) -

I owe you one, thanks :D

#8 Posted by Wacomole (836 posts) -

Got one (and the one for creating a new account), thanks...

Now I can finally open that tantalising box in Sanctuary without fear of "wasting" my only chance.

#9 Posted by RioStarwind (578 posts) -

Thanks for pointing this out. Wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

#10 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1832 posts) -

Thanks, man! Just got a key and used it. The guns I just got are of the "HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME" variety.

#11 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Crap, I think I was too late. What sucks is I used mine at the beginning of the game because I had no idea what it was.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

Got one, good thing cause I wasted the first one....

#13 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get one before they ran out.

#14 Posted by golguin (4043 posts) -

Just redeemed an xbox golden key so there are still some left.

#16 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

There's probably still a bunch left, because I just got one on 360 and so did 4 of my friends.

#17 Posted by WilliamHenry (1217 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

Can you only redeem it in-game?

Yup. Has to be done through the extras menu.

#18 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Cant beat the PC cheater, add a Console cheat?

Fuck I love Gearbox, ( except for that whole DN thing )

#19 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

@golguin said:

Just redeemed an xbox golden key so there are still some left.

Really? I tried both xbox.com and on my actual 360 and got invalids on both.

Edit: Okay, so apparently I have to do it in the game. Reading comprehension.

#20 Posted by The_Nubster (2355 posts) -

Just got my key on the PS3. Thanks man!

#21 Edited by qawsed (145 posts) -

Just redeemed on the PC and I got 3 more keys on top of my preorder key. Doesn't make any sense but I'll roll with it.

#22 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I just redeemed on the 360 so there are still more left. I now have one key again! (cause I'm an idiot and used the first one by accident and signing up for shift got me nothing)

#23 Posted by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

Just grabbed one for PC.

#24 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

You mean the thing where they picked up and put out a curiosity piece that probably never would have come out otherwise? Yeah, totally. Fuck them for that game they didn't make.

#25 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

Got one on PS3! Just spent the one I got when I registered though.

#26 Posted by Zella (820 posts) -

Thanks Duder, managed to grab a PC code.

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

360 are all gone. Shitty.

#28 Posted by KoolAid (1031 posts) -

How do I get more keys otherwise?

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Peanut said:

@Dagbiker said:

You mean the thing where they picked up and put out a curiosity piece that probably never would have come out otherwise? Yeah, totally. Fuck them for that game they didn't make.

Exactly Fuck them for marketing and selling a poor product, that they own.

#30 Posted by Stink_Meaner (64 posts) -

Thanks just picked up one for the PS3!!! Good looking out:)

#31 Edited by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

Were the PC ones already fully used? It says the code was already used. :(

#32 Posted by kiapurity (26 posts) -

Yeah, getting the same issue, can't use PC code. :(

#33 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

He was giving out keys yesterday that were worth 10 golden keys. Unsure if he'll do it again, but it'd be smart to keep an eye out on his Twitter account in the next couple of days.

#34 Posted by mattyb1688 (12 posts) -

PS3 still working just got mine! Thanks!

#35 Posted by Redbullet685 (6084 posts) -

Thanks man! Got one on Ps3 not too long ago!

#36 Posted by NickNotch (68 posts) -

Just tried to use the 360 code... its already maxed out :(

#37 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

Honestly this is sort of lame. Why not just add some extra to the premier club or something? They were already one per account right? So why limit the amount of uses? Having to check twitter accounts for things like this always feels a bit dirty.

Anyways, used a PC code a while ago so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

#38 Edited by jking47 (1248 posts) -

I just used a PS3 code, they still seem to be working as of now.

Thanks OP, I wasted my first key by not knowing the box was the special one.

They really should have put a warning on there or something...Actually, this whole idea was fucking stupid. Having a box you can only open a limited amount of times in a game that is meant to be replayed on multiple character is dumb.

#39 Posted by BoFooQ (748 posts) -

thank you for the great tip..

just got new key for ps3, and after wasting my first its even better.

#40 Posted by MetalBaofu (1440 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. Just used the PS3 code.

#41 Posted by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -

@MrOldboy: Because this rewards a different group. And It doesn't make much sense to add more rewards to pre-order rewards post-launch? Shift codes with 10 000 redeems (per platform) give quite a lot of people access to further keys.

And the keys are fully optional. It's a fun extra thing, not something you need to beat the game or get cool loot.

And from what Randy Pitchford's been saying on Twitter, they are still working on getting this system to work properly, so this is most likely a kind of "beta test".

#42 Posted by TJ311 (415 posts) -

I just punched in a PS3 code so they are still working.

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Dagbiker

@Peanut said:

@Dagbiker said:

Anyone who expected that game to be good was fucking insane. It's clear all Gearbox did was finish what other developers started so the game could finally die. Expecting them to spend another two and a half years redeveloping that pile of shit is crazy. I'd blame every other developer for inserting archaic systems into it before I'd blame Gearbox for scrambling to polish the game as much as possible.
#44 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

@Mnemoidian: 10k is nothing when you look at how many copies they sold.

But it is a test, pitchford has said as much and a way to get 30k+ people to sign up. But I still hate the practice of throwing codes out into the wild. I'd much rather see devs reward customers directly. Which is why I mentioned the premier club, they know everyone who preordered the game. Plus wasn't a golden key part of the preorder bonus? Seems weird to give them away, and in large quantities when it was an incentive to preorder.

Anyways, free stuff is free stuff, but I wish devs would find a better way to give stuff out to their customers than throwing codes out on twitter and letting everyone have at it.

#45 Posted by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -

@MrOldboy: Yes, you got one key from pre-ordering (through premier club), and you get another for each platform you link to SHiFT (through Borderlands 2! Just linking from website rewards you nothing). SHiFT in itself appears to be a customer loyalty reward system in it's infancy.

I am personally torn on the overuse (?) of twitter recently - SOE uses a lot of Twitter in it's Planetside 2 information sharing as well (server status, offers, etc). On the one hand, using Twitter is positive, as it's a seperate system - it's a good way o inform customers of your service being unreachable (unlike posting a notice, on your unreachable webserver, stating that your service is down).

Also, forums are bad at being a communication-channel between users and developers - there's a lot of noise and a lot of misinformation (both intentional and unintentional).

So, yeah... torn. But Twitter is a better method of contacting customers than Facebook, at least.

Maybe we can at least agree on hoping that they find a good way for distributing those keys over longer time? (Also, I doubt they would've built this elaborate system for golden keys, a chest with scaling loot, etc... if it was just for a throwaway pre-order bonus).

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Dagbiker

@Peanut said:

@Dagbiker said:

Anyone who expected that game to be good was fucking insane. It's clear all Gearbox did was finish what other developers started so the game could finally die. Expecting them to spend another two and a half years redeveloping that pile of shit is crazy. I'd blame every other developer for inserting archaic systems into it before I'd blame Gearbox for scrambling to polish the game as much as possible.

I didnt expect that game to be good, which is why I didn't buy it. But I think marketing and selling a game that you know is not good is a poor practice. Say what you want about the other developers that worked on DNF but they never tried to sell it.

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I have 11 hours into BL2 and I have no idea what a Golden Key is

#48 Posted by Hokucho (74 posts) -

You rock man. I dont have twitter so you posting this really helps!

#49 Posted by Capum15 (4992 posts) -

"No SHiFT codes from me today. Possible test tomorrow. Big redemptions soon via myself or the Gearbox twitter or facebook"

Looking forward to that last part.

#50 Posted by golguin (4043 posts) -

@Capum15 said:

"No SHiFT codes from me today. Possible test tomorrow. Big redemptions soon via myself or the Gearbox twitter or facebook"Looking forward to that last part.

I'll assume that if any more keys are given out tomorrow there will be a notice about it here. I'll periodically check in this forum for them tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.