Should I be playing this coop?

• 55 results
#1 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

I started playing this a few weeks ago, I'm level 11 but I'm not getting into it at all, the endless loot crates/respawning enemies/reused areas/ are starting to get me down.

I mainly play games for the story, so I usually avoid coop because that tends to turn the game into a race and you miss out on the good stuff but I'm wondering if I should just go coop for this one and try to blast through it?

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22051 posts) -

It's at least worth giving it a go, especially since Borderlands 2 was designed with coop in mind even more so than the original. Playing NG+ solo was a fucking nightmare.

#3 Edited by Hone_McBone (168 posts) -

I couldn't get into the first one playing it solo but had a ton of fun when I started playing with a couple of other people. I picked up 2 in the steam sale & haven't gotten around to playing it yet but I'd say definitely play it with at least one other person if not more.

#4 Edited by Vahleticar (146 posts) -

@kidavenger: I'm playing it solo myself as a siren, for similar reasons as you. No doubt it can get pretty rough at times in terms of difficulty and yes respawning enemies get old after a while but I'm enjoying it solo. I actually switched from commando to siren around level 15 and have died a lot less. Sirens phaselock ability is pretty powerful as it can explode damaging nearby dudes and send out healing orbs. I think it's totally viable solo

#5 Edited by Veektarius (4921 posts) -

If you're talking about co-op through a public game, I wouldn't recommend it normally. Borderlands' loot system was created before the idea of individualized loot drops, so your description of it as "a race" is very apt. I also don't think Borderlands is a game that's improved much by co-op unless your'e talking about a friend who you can shoot the shit with. Still, if it's the last chance for you to try and get your money's worth out of the game, it can't hurt to give it a shot.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

The original Borderlands was fine co-op, but for some reason the single player of Borderlands 2 has the difficulty ratcheted up and the drop rate for stuff that actually does respectable damage went down. If you want any good guns, playing co-op is something you need to do.

I played it through with my brother after trying, several times, to enjoy it single player. I enjoyed it a lot more when playing co-op. However, I couldn't imagine playing it with randoms. Loot isn't instanced and communication is part of the fun.

Also the story in Borderlands 2 is much better than the first's but the dialogue is some of the worst I have ever heard in any medium.

#7 Posted by Rorie (3107 posts) -

I really liked BL2 as a solo Commando. But then I've never really enjoyed co-op in any game, really.

Staff
#8 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6311 posts) -

It's fine solo. Online co-op gets frustrating when everyone's pulling in different directions and there's no organization to who gets what loot. So, basically, every random online game ever. Stick to a solo game or play with friends.

Moderator Online
#9 Edited by wewantsthering (1578 posts) -

I would actually do a first playthrough by yourself so you can actually hear the story and dialogue then do the new game+ with friends.

#10 Posted by Rotnac (783 posts) -

I would do a playthrough first solo or with friend(s) that won't rush through everything. The real fun starts in Playthrough 2.

Your fun will also vary depending on the class you choose and the build you focus towards for your preferred class. If you're playing with a class you're not having much fun with then you're just torturing yourself. Every one of them plays very differently. I had the least amount of fun with the Gunzerker but there are plenty of people that love that class.

#11 Posted by onyxghost (313 posts) -

Play with your friends and it fantastic. Went through the campaign three times and all the DLC with my friends.

#12 Edited by Humanity (9589 posts) -

I started playing this a few weeks ago, I'm level 11 but I'm not getting into it at all, the endless loot crates/respawning enemies/reused areas/ are starting to get me down.

I mainly play games for the story, so I usually avoid coop because that tends to turn the game into a race and you miss out on the good stuff but I'm wondering if I should just go coop for this one and try to blast through it?

I felt the same way about Borderlands 1. Played by myself and it felt empty and shallow. Something about the second game managed to hook me though.

IF you want to play it for the story then you might as well quit now because Borderlands 2 is no work of literary art.

#13 Posted by Stackboy (503 posts) -

I've played Borderlands and Borderlands 2 both solo and co-op and enjoyed both, but I've definitely played more of it solo. I don't know how much your enjoyment will change.

#14 Posted by ConfusedOwl (952 posts) -

I've been playing it solo only and it's had some huge difficulty spikes but other then those few instances so far it has been fun. I can definitely see that the developers really want you to play coop though. I'd say just stick with whatever playstyle you want.

#15 Edited by golguin (3964 posts) -

You should play it co-op with people that you know. If you play it co-op now you'll have people pushing you toward the objective as fast as possible with no exploration because they want to get their stuff fast.

#16 Posted by Zeik (2538 posts) -

I've played both Borderlands 1 and 2 almost 100% solo. I eventually came to the realization that I kinda hate the multiplayer in Borderlands. Thanks to shared loot the random multiplayer is terrible, as it just means everyone is bum rushing their way to the treasure and taking everything for themselves, so not only do you lose out on loot but you're forced to play at a very unpleasant pace. If you're playing with people you know that part can be better, but if you're not playing together all the time then someone is bound to outlevel someone and even just a few levels difference makes the gameplay terribly unbalanced. I enjoyed BL2 quite a bit overall, but if they don't fix the multiplayer I'm not sure how interested I will be in a BL3.

The Siren was my solo character of choice in both games. In Borderlands 1 Lilith was an unstoppable god(dess). Maya wasn't quite as unstoppable in BL2, but I was able to make it through True Vault Hunter mode solo without too much trouble with her. Her mind control skill is a godsend for that. I never got around to trying Ultimate Vault Hunter mode, but I can imagine it's not much fun solo.

#17 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

There are a bunch of quests that take like 3 seconds to complete that have multiple endings that I missed completely or got bad results on because someone in my group blew through them. So no, you shouldn't play it co-op. But I also don't think it's a good game and you shouldn't play it at all. It's not a good use of time and even Borderlands 1 is a better choice.

#18 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

Co-op won't solve this issue at all. If anything it will only make it worse as your buddy might talk over story bits or distract you from it.

What Co-op will do is make the looting and boss fights etc more fun.

#19 Posted by Sinusoidal (1657 posts) -

If you want to do any New Game+ content, co-op is practically a necessity. Unless you enjoy slowly, meticulously sniping every enemy because getting anywhere near them is certain death playing solo.

Turned me right off TVHM...

#20 Posted by Damodar (1425 posts) -

I dunno. It was obviously designed as a co-op game, but I don't think it was designed particularly well as a co-op game?

I played Mordecai in BL1 and Zer0 in BL2, so I was always using sniper rifles and co-op kind of sucked with those classes. Considering the nature of the class being about fewer, bigger chunks of damage through precise shooting, the way things became big damage sponges with 4 characters felt really frustrating. Plus in the case of Zer0, his power felt weak in those situations. You'd cloak, backstab and do a meagre bit of damage and be left right up close to whatever enemy. That wasn't cool.

Also, whenever I play games like that co-op, I always feel rushed. I like to play at a meticulous pace. Put me in a game like Torchlight, if I'm enjoying it, I'm exploring every corner and so on. But the people I play with always just run to quest giver to quest, mainline through it, just constantly on the move. That makes it less enjoyable and it's also frustrating in the case of Borderlands, because I like to try and snipe as many targets as I can before alerting a group, but it's not fun for my party to just wait around for that. But if they all go in guns blazing, I miss out on a part that I enjoy. You mention avoiding co-op because it feels like a race and I know exactly what you mean.

I also feel like the class design is lacking. Objectively, the commando is probably the best class because of his power and a team of four commandos is going to be able to crush everything. I think it's also an INCREDIBLY boring class, but that's beside the point. While they all play in different ways, I think BL2s Siren is the only one that really feels like she really facilitates much teamwork beyond all just independently working towards the same goal. She has crowd control that helps the team on a level beyond just providing more firepower etc. The unfortunate side of that is that that's about where it ends? None of the different class abilities really have much synergy between each other. Obviously, it's a balancing act, as you want powers to be applicable in all scenarios, single or multiplayer. I just don't think they balanced it terribly well, as most of the things that benefit teams are passive buffs or things like that. There's not really any element of players co-operating to combine abilities to much greater effect. The team is basically exactly the sum of its parts. I admit not playing all THAT much of BL2 co-op, played a lot more of BL1 that way, so I could totally be wrong, but I'm pretty confident in my position.

Also, this is a BL2 thread. Where's the answer saying "YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING THIS AT ALL"?

#21 Posted by SgtSphynx (1490 posts) -

I enjoyed the game in my first playthrough which I did solo, but I have quite enjoyed playing through a second time with a couple friends.

#22 Edited by kindgineer (2768 posts) -

I normally don't like to play this sort of game co-op first unless its with a same-minded friend. I really enjoy the story and such, and online multiplayer usually just involves min-maxing and rushing.

#23 Edited by Jensonb (1757 posts) -

I LOVE the Borderlands games and I played both of them exclusively (because of platform choices, though I'd have played through them at least once solo anyway) solo as Roland and Axton, so I think it's less a case of needing to play them in coop for them to be good than it is a matter of what works for you. I love the loot, the hit points popping off the enemies as you hit them, the buffs, the class mods, the status effects and the abilities enough to power through some of the less solo-balanced parts of the game. Others probably don't.

#24 Posted by TobbRobb (4739 posts) -

Pssssst. Stop playing it.

#25 Posted by Humanity (9589 posts) -

There are a bunch of quests that take like 3 seconds to complete that have multiple endings that I missed completely or got bad results on because someone in my group blew through them. So no, you shouldn't play it co-op. But I also don't think it's a good game and you shouldn't play it at all. It's not a good use of time and even Borderlands 1 is a better choice.

I would completely disagree with that. There is nothing that Borderlands 1 does better than Borderlands 2. From the graphics, level variety and enemy behavior, Borderlands 2 is a straight up better game. As for the writing, well, I don't think that is a big draw in these sort of games.

#26 Posted by TechHits (1384 posts) -

Personally I think it is way better coop

#27 Posted by dudeglove (8015 posts) -

Although public matches can be fun, it's much better to play with people you know. Also it helps to spec your class a certain way. Unfortunately up until about level 20 or so, combat is mostly just a boring shoot fest. Weapons are irritatingly gated in that you won't see corrosive/shock/fire or certain grenade/team mods (bouncing/heal leech) until a certain level (with the exception of certain uniques or outright hacking the game). BL1 also had issues with its weapons (in that there were 3 uniques that were easy to get very early on - from vendors no less - and once you acquired them it was enough to take down Crawmerax).

Playing a support siren in BL2 and resing folk is fun (and kind of necessary for certain strats), but you don't get full use of it until you're a good few hours into the game. I've found the easiest way to start out is abuse the crap out of tediore reloads (fire just one bullet, "reload" the gun into some enemy's face for ludicrous damage, rinse and repeat for literally everything) until you hit a good stride. Just keep at it. The game has its ups and downs, but it's less tedious than the rush to New Haven of the first game.

#28 Posted by Itwastuesday (975 posts) -

you can cause a lot of mayhem in a 4-person party. ammo is more of a problem in a group, i find (mostly because they send more dudes and more bullet sponging badasses). you should give it a try man its fun

#29 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2488 posts) -

@kidavenger: I was in the same camp as you, think I had a Siren levelled into the mid-teens, wasn't having any fun playing it solo. I tried some games with random people jumping in but it was only more frustrating since few of them ever spoke, nearly all of them were playing the same class, and most were just interested in the loot. I encountered a recurring scenario in which higher level players would join my game and just haul-ass through the environment to where ever the objective was, triggering every enemy along the way but running straight past them, leaving me to get mobbed by Scags and Bandits while expository audio-logs played out of context overhead. I couldn't figure out why but this seriously happened a lot.

I would advise playing online co-op but only with a group of friends, that's what made the first game so much fun. Sadly, I adopted BL2 far too late after its release and all my friends who owned the game were already long over it and not interested in another expedition into Pandora.

#30 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mosespippy said:

I would completely disagree with that. There is nothing that Borderlands 1 does better than Borderlands 2. From the graphics, level variety and enemy behavior, Borderlands 2 is a straight up better game. As for the writing, well, I don't think that is a big draw in these sort of games.

Level design and how it relates to the game's flow. In Borderlands 1 you accept most of the quests in Fyrestone, Dahl Wastelands, New Haven or Rust Commons West. Those areas all have combat in them. It only takes one person to go accept quests. The other co-op partners can go shoot stuff while they wait. In Borderlands 2 all the quests are accepted in Sanctuary. So there are two loading screens between going to accept quests and then getting back to shooting. There is nothing for other people to do in Sanctuary so they either wait around pumping the slot machine or they drop out of the session. Returning to Sanctuary always brings the game to a stand still.

The opening section is so long and so bad. I've got mid to high level characters for all classes in Borderlands 1. It takes like 25 minutes to get to an open space where you can choose what quests to do. In borderlands 2 it takes about 2 hours. And since the bank holds half as much and the characters can hold half as much, you'll also need more mules. I've got every orange tier gun at level 50, a lot of better purple tier items and every customization for the siren except for 3, so I have a lot of mules.

There are a lot of other small problems that I have with the game, including corrosive weapons being the only viable element and the poor writing, but I don't have time to go into that since I just got called to work.

At this point the only reason I haven't dismissed the Pre Sequel is because it's made by someone other than Gearbox.

#31 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

I have 3 friends who tell me to play it solo and I have friends to play it console only, and still I don't get this series.

#32 Posted by Humanity (9589 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mosespippy said:

Level design and how it relates to the game's flow. In Borderlands 1 you accept most of the quests in Fyrestone, Dahl Wastelands, New Haven or Rust Commons West. Those areas all have combat in them. It only takes one person to go accept quests. The other co-op partners can go shoot stuff while they wait. In Borderlands 2 all the quests are accepted in Sanctuary. So there are two loading screens between going to accept quests and then getting back to shooting. There is nothing for other people to do in Sanctuary so they either wait around pumping the slot machine or they drop out of the session. Returning to Sanctuary always brings the game to a stand still.

The opening section is so long and so bad. I've got mid to high level characters for all classes in Borderlands 1. It takes like 25 minutes to get to an open space where you can choose what quests to do. In borderlands 2 it takes about 2 hours. And since the bank holds half as much and the characters can hold half as much, you'll also need more mules. I've got every orange tier gun at level 50, a lot of better purple tier items and every customization for the siren except for 3, so I have a lot of mules.

There are a lot of other small problems that I have with the game, including corrosive weapons being the only viable element and the poor writing, but I don't have time to go into that since I just got called to work.

At this point the only reason I haven't dismissed the Pre Sequel is because it's made by someone other than Gearbox.

I didn't have any problems with how quests are given so there really isn't much point in getting into a discussion over it. The game could use better fast travel because you're backtracking a lot but thats an issue with the original as well.

I will agree that the opening snow section before your get to Sanctuary proper is too long and overall quite lackluster. Not sure why they chose to keep you in the kids sandbox before letting you go out and play in the real playground.

As for the Pre-Sequel, well as much as I really enjoyed my time with Borderlands 2 I was also very much done with it by the time the credits rolled. I'm ready to try a Borderlands 3 if they significantly refine the formula (which is doubtful for a variety of reasons) but a Borderlands 2.5, or 2.1 actually, is something I can do without.

#33 Posted by Karkarov (3180 posts) -

If you have a friend to play co op with then yes, this is some of the best fun you can have with a video game. Solo it is a really boring grind and I found random online to only be good if you just wanted to power level without being a complete wuss and just using a character editor (assuming you are on PC). The fact that I have around 180 hours on this game with steam and less than 10 of them are solo is pretty telling.

So yeah, find some friends who have it and are willing to play with you. Or skip it. That's my advice, because with friends it is a great game and without them... well it isn't.

#34 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (605 posts) -

Personally I feel as though co-op is best when you and your buddies are all in deep into the game already. Early game is a mess, mainly because no one knows how they are going to play, they haven't yet specced into their skill tree to suit their own play style, and as a result loot sharing is a mess. When everyone knows what they are doing and what kind of weapons they are looking out for, it becomes way better.

#35 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

I played so much Borderlands, 1 and 2, and yes tc, by all means try to play it with some friends. I played through UVHM solo, w/several of the characters, but it's absolutely more fun w/a friend or friends. 4 players is the ultimate; the big crazy rare bosses seemed to spawn much more easily that way.

Playing w/randoms is a crap shoot though. You'll get a ton of racers and dupers too, but sometimes you run into very cool people.

And everything was improved in BL2, a better game than BL1 in every way period. If you don't like the humor and meme references et al, then that's bad in both, but the loot(breadth of diversity and effects especially and synergies with various builds), skill trees, enemy AI, monster diversity, etc. are all far superior. Another big factor in playing w/some friends, is you'll need the best gear to be effective in the highest diffs so playing with friends and farming and sharing drops everyone's characters need helps a ton. One last point is level disparity is a problem in Borderlands. You can be a few behind, but much more than 5 or 6 behind and you can't really help your team much and just need to be carried. What we all did mostly was lvl cap characters as fast as possible(lvling together sometimes), and then really grouping up with targeted bosses and farming areas/lvls in mind once max leveled.

#36 Posted by nasp (359 posts) -

you should play coop because it was made to do so,however you dont have too. ive beaten borderlands 2 on ultimate vault hunter mode lots of times so its possible,you just need to know the game very well and farm for good gear.

#37 Posted by Atwa (622 posts) -

Honestly think Borderlands plays fine solo. Can be more fun coop, but its fine solo too.

#38 Posted by HaniBall (320 posts) -

I play the game solo and it is very possible. I try to stay a level or two above the missions. It seems like enemies are higher level than the mission anyways.

Is it confirmed hard truth that the drops in solo are worse than in coop? Because it sure seems like the drops I get are shitty.

#39 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

Getting some golden keys turned the game around for me for the most part, still not sure I like it, but it's not so dire when I'm taking most things down in 1-3 shots vs 4-5 before. If you don't have the right gun and in a lot of situations guns, this game is a real drag.

I may try some coop just to pick up some levels then come back to the story on my own.

#40 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

I enjoyed the game more solo than coop. As soon as I was playing with friends they were skipping and accepting quests left and right like in WoW, didn't like the pace at which we were playing, and never finished the game.

#41 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1045 posts) -

Little late, but I have to add this: playing trough this as solo commando was great. If you are having trouble soloing with other classes, try this - sabre turret rocks!

#42 Edited by HaniBall (320 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Little late, but I have to add this: playing trough this as solo commando was great. If you are having trouble soloing with other classes, try this - sabre turret rocks!

I am playing as a solo siren. Maya is TEARING through the game. Her phaselock paired with a good SMG is borderline OP.

#43 Posted by Fattony12000 (7522 posts) -

Yes.

#44 Posted by guanophobic (317 posts) -

I finished B2 solo at first, and co-op later on when my friends caught up.

Was a night and day difference in difficulty, this game is really geared toward co-op.

#46 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I wouldn't mind Borderlands 3.

#48 Posted by HaniBall (320 posts) -

Does it get more challenging co-op? I did a public coop session once and I did all the work but it seemed to be about the same.

I finished B2 solo at first, and co-op later on when my friends caught up.

Was a night and day difference in difficulty, this game is really geared toward co-op.

#49 Edited by Vahleticar (146 posts) -

@haniball said:

I am playing as a solo siren. Maya is TEARING through the game. Her phaselock paired with a good SMG is borderline OP.

Yeah same, found it much easier than commando. Too bad I just got fed up with the scaling of enemies and repetitiveness and stopped playing

#50 Edited by HaniBall (320 posts) -

@vahleticar said:

@haniball said:

Yeah same, found it much easier than commando. Too bad I just got fed up with the scaling of enemies and repetitiveness and stopped playing

Just as an update. My Siren has successfully solo'd Bloodwing on tvhm at lvl44. First time the game gave me some pause :) (*)

I also experimented with the co-op some more (on Vita!). And must say it is very hit and miss. Overall I find that folks joining my game are impatient and greedy. e.g. I would never pick up Eridium in somebody elses game, unless the host leaves it for me. I am actually having more fun helping others. So, if you play on Vita, that's my tip of the day. Help others. If you open up your game be prepared for jerkdom.

(*) key is to keep the skaggs alive to get second winds. And for me also non elemental weapons on all slots so I don't have to think about which to use when.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.