Should I use my golden key? Can you get more?

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

I have 1 golden key that I got from my pre order. I just found some gold chest that takes my key to open it? Whats the deal with these? are there more chests? More keys?

#2 Edited by Cantaloup (37 posts) -
#3 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

Use both of them back-to-back. There's a secret chest in the sewers of Sanctuary that contains 10 gold keys and 1 golden ticket.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

Keep the chest closed until you reach a higher level, you'll get much better loot. Otherwise you'll just get a good gun that will become obsolete in 5 levels.

#5 Posted by OldManLight (880 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

Keep the chest closed until you reach a higher level, you'll get much better loot. Otherwise you'll just get a good gun that will become obsolete in 5 levels.

he's right. used my preorder one almost immediately and it gave me 2 purple guns but i was already finding better stuff shortly after, i have a second one and i'm gonna wait to see what it gives me once i hit the level cap.

Online
#6 Edited by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I'm guessing the golden chest can only be opened by people who pre-ordered then?

#7 Edited by EthanielRain (882 posts) -

@TheUnsavedHero said:

I'm guessing the golden chest can only be opened by people who pre-ordered then?

You can sign up for "Shift" from the "Extras" menu in-game (or follow the link in the post above) and get one. I'm sure they'll give out more keys for things later on, too :)

#8 Posted by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

Whats the ideal level range to use the chest?

#9 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

@OldManLight said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Keep the chest closed until you reach a higher level, you'll get much better loot. Otherwise you'll just get a good gun that will become obsolete in 5 levels.

he's right. used my preorder one almost immediately and it gave me 2 purple guns but i was already finding better stuff shortly after, i have a second one and i'm gonna wait to see what it gives me once i hit the level cap.

I did that by accident. I ran up and opened it on reflex before noticing the key counter popping up. I got a decent grenade mod, but it was obsolete a few levels later. I felt pretty dumb.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12029 posts) -

I see everyone saying they accidentally opened it but nobody saying where it is. I just started and I'm like level 4-5 or so. Where exactly is the chest so that I know to watch out for it and not open it?

#11 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

In Sanctuary. I believe it's in the room with the fast travel station.

#12 Edited by Vinyl (50 posts) -

@ajamafalous: You probably won't be reaching there until you're around level 10, but t's in Sanctuary. Specifically, the same building where the Fast Travel & recustomization board is located. Just, don't trust the only chest in Sanctuary that looks like it can have a gun stash, basically.

/made the same mistake with her golden key :/

#13 Posted by Vanek (383 posts) -

I thankfully noticed this thread just before I got to Sanctuary, but that leaves me wondering when I should use it. Is the idea that everyone keeps hold of it till they reach the level cap and then ideally they get something insane from the chest?

... If so I can't help but remember how I never hit the level cap in the original Borderlands, which makes me think it's quite possible I wont in Borderlands 2 either. I guess I'll keep it for awhile.

#14 Edited by Droop (1910 posts) -

Yeah I just opened the chest by mistake too :C

#15 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I have three already, it gave me two for signing up for shift :P I think I'm gonna save them for level cap and then use one, save the rest for last DLC level cap.

#16 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@EthanielRain said:

@TheUnsavedHero said:

I'm guessing the golden chest can only be opened by people who pre-ordered then?

You can sign up for "Shift" from the "Extras" menu in-game (or follow the link in the post above) and get one. I'm sure they'll give out more keys for things later on, too :)

Ah, Okay. Thanks.

#17 Posted by WebScud (117 posts) -
#18 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

you could save it till you hit level cap , but who says they wont increase the level cap thus making you hold onto your keys until the final expansion/dlc has hit .. THEN get 2 bonus epics (sometimes just a single rocket launcher) that might be 2 semi-decent grenade mods etc ..

the chest is overrated , you can only get good stuff from it reliably if you cheat and give yourself alllll the keys , then you might end up getting what YOU want after opeing it 10 -20 times :/

so ultimately stop worrying , open it , take ur stuff and even if its not that great for you it will be good for somebody at your level , that part is pretty much guaranteed .

still does not give you relics / eridium / legendarys (orange+) / xp .. so i dont feel too bad for abusing it.

Online
#19 Posted by JmuDuke5 (1 posts) -
#21 Edited by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

Gearbox has been giving these things away on Twitter every single day it seems. It's been so much that I know longer punch in a code unless it's for 5 keys.

#22 Edited by muktor (61 posts) -
#23 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Just get a bunch from codes and then mark the profile.bin file as Read Only. (C:\Users\*You User*\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\*Your Folder*)

Spend keys, take loot, close game. Restart the game and do it all over again.

It helps a lot in TVHM which is still a pain in the ass solo.

EDIT: Shit, I just noticed how old this thread was.

#24 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@tycobb said:

Just get a bunch from codes and then mark the profile.bin file as Read Only. (C:\Users\*You User*\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\*Your Folder*)

Spend keys, take loot, close game. Restart the game and do it all over again.

It helps a lot in TVHM which is still a pain in the ass solo.

EDIT: Shit, I just noticed how old this thread was.

Even if this thread is Old people should also know that Gearbox is giving out ShiftCodes for more keys almost all the time via twitter.
They tweet a code for PS3, 360 and PC and they always work for everyone for like a limited time so like "It's valid from today untill the 30th" and stuff like that.

I currently have (only) 15 Gold keys.

#25 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

@zeforgotten: It was more of the fact my post was more in response to the OP. But yes, people should know that they continue to give out codes. Steam's list in the discussion section is pretty great for the old codes that still work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.