Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Should I use my golden key? Can you get more?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I have 1 golden key that I got from my pre order. I just found some gold chest that takes my key to open it? Whats the deal with these? are there more chests? More keys?

Cantaloup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cantaloup
    AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Use both of them back-to-back. There's a secret chest in the sewers of Sanctuary that contains 10 gold keys and 1 golden ticket.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

Keep the chest closed until you reach a higher level, you'll get much better loot. Otherwise you'll just get a good gun that will become obsolete in 5 levels.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OldManLight

@Vinny_Says said:

Keep the chest closed until you reach a higher level, you'll get much better loot. Otherwise you'll just get a good gun that will become obsolete in 5 levels.

he's right. used my preorder one almost immediately and it gave me 2 purple guns but i was already finding better stuff shortly after, i have a second one and i'm gonna wait to see what it gives me once i hit the level cap.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I'm guessing the golden chest can only be opened by people who pre-ordered then?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EthanielRain

@TheUnsavedHero said:

I'm guessing the golden chest can only be opened by people who pre-ordered then?

You can sign up for "Shift" from the "Extras" menu in-game (or follow the link in the post above) and get one. I'm sure they'll give out more keys for things later on, too :)

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By williamhenry

Whats the ideal level range to use the chest?

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scrawnto

@OldManLight said:

@Vinny_Says said:

he's right. used my preorder one almost immediately and it gave me 2 purple guns but i was already finding better stuff shortly after, i have a second one and i'm gonna wait to see what it gives me once i hit the level cap.

I did that by accident. I ran up and opened it on reflex before noticing the key counter popping up. I got a decent grenade mod, but it was obsolete a few levels later. I felt pretty dumb.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I see everyone saying they accidentally opened it but nobody saying where it is. I just started and I'm like level 4-5 or so. Where exactly is the chest so that I know to watch out for it and not open it?

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WEB_War4

In Sanctuary. I believe it's in the room with the fast travel station.

Vinyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vinyl

@ajamafalous: You probably won't be reaching there until you're around level 10, but t's in Sanctuary. Specifically, the same building where the Fast Travel & recustomization board is located. Just, don't trust the only chest in Sanctuary that looks like it can have a gun stash, basically.

/made the same mistake with her golden key :/

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Vanek

I thankfully noticed this thread just before I got to Sanctuary, but that leaves me wondering when I should use it. Is the idea that everyone keeps hold of it till they reach the level cap and then ideally they get something insane from the chest?

... If so I can't help but remember how I never hit the level cap in the original Borderlands, which makes me think it's quite possible I wont in Borderlands 2 either. I guess I'll keep it for awhile.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By droop

Yeah I just opened the chest by mistake too :C

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz

I have three already, it gave me two for signing up for shift :P I think I'm gonna save them for level cap and then use one, save the rest for last DLC level cap.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

@EthanielRain said:

@TheUnsavedHero said:

You can sign up for "Shift" from the "Extras" menu in-game (or follow the link in the post above) and get one. I'm sure they'll give out more keys for things later on, too :)

Ah, Okay. Thanks.

webscud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By webscud
    envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By envane

you could save it till you hit level cap , but who says they wont increase the level cap thus making you hold onto your keys until the final expansion/dlc has hit .. THEN get 2 bonus epics (sometimes just a single rocket launcher) that might be 2 semi-decent grenade mods etc ..

the chest is overrated , you can only get good stuff from it reliably if you cheat and give yourself alllll the keys , then you might end up getting what YOU want after opeing it 10 -20 times :/

so ultimately stop worrying , open it , take ur stuff and even if its not that great for you it will be good for somebody at your level , that part is pretty much guaranteed .

still does not give you relics / eridium / legendarys (orange+) / xp .. so i dont feel too bad for abusing it.

JmuDuke5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

madmurdock0311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikey87144

Gearbox has been giving these things away on Twitter every single day it seems. It's been so much that I know longer punch in a code unless it's for 5 keys.

muktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By muktor
    TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TyCobb

Just get a bunch from codes and then mark the profile.bin file as Read Only. (C:\Users\*You User*\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\*Your Folder*)

Spend keys, take loot, close game. Restart the game and do it all over again.

It helps a lot in TVHM which is still a pain in the ass solo.

EDIT: Shit, I just noticed how old this thread was.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tycobb said:

Just get a bunch from codes and then mark the profile.bin file as Read Only. (C:\Users\*You User*\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData\*Your Folder*)

Spend keys, take loot, close game. Restart the game and do it all over again.

It helps a lot in TVHM which is still a pain in the ass solo.

EDIT: Shit, I just noticed how old this thread was.

Even if this thread is Old people should also know that Gearbox is giving out ShiftCodes for more keys almost all the time via twitter.
    They tweet a code for PS3, 360 and PC and they always work for everyone for like a limited time so like "It's valid from today untill the 30th" and stuff like that.

I currently have (only) 15 Gold keys.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten: It was more of the fact my post was more in response to the OP. But yes, people should know that they continue to give out codes. Steam's list in the discussion section is pretty great for the old codes that still work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.