So I waited until I was level 50 to use my one gold key ...

#1 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

and I got two fucking grenades.

FML.

Has this happened to anyone else?

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

That blows, I gave myself 10 keys on PC and I'm saving the last one for when I'm a high level. I'll probably get something stupid as a fuck you for getting more keys.

#3 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

It's just another chest.

#4 Posted by Lukeweizer (2770 posts) -

At least they're not 2 grenades that you'll replace in 2 levels. Still a good idea to wait till level 50.

#5 Posted by Humanity (10109 posts) -

Some of the stuff is ok but none of it is mind blowing.

#6 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

This is true. One of them was a longbow singularity that does 72000 explosive damage, but MAN, I wanted a gun, dammit.

#7 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

At least they're not 2 grenades that you'll replace in 2 levels. Still a good idea to wait till level 50.

I waited until level 50, but I killed the last boss at 49, dinged 50, and he dropped a Conference Call.

There are no other guns.

#8 Posted by CatsAkimbo (645 posts) -

I hate special consumable stuff like this; I end up never using them. My golden key will end up going to waste along with my one-hour xp boost in guild wars 2 and my +5% damage potion in Tera.

#9 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I got some good weapons, but I also got some really stupid stuff. It's random like any other chest. It's kind of a shame, but whatever.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22568 posts) -

I remember using my Gold Key as soon as possible (which wasn't accidental, just me being impatient) and I an OK purple assault rifle. Of course it was soon enough exchanged for something else as I quickly rose up the early levels.

Kinda crazy, though, just how random the loot system is in Borderlands 2. There's moments where some unlucky soul like yourself can get 2 grenade mods out of a golden chest, and yet I also managed to find an orange-rarity pistol from beating Knuckledragger... the first boss in the game. Like, it wasn't even NG+, either!

#11 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

Wait, so is it not possible to get an orange weapon out of that chest? Is it only purples?

#12 Posted by Gaspatchosoup (45 posts) -

I had the kinda the same happen to me except i got two class mods that werent for my character. But it gets better i quit to the xmb because i wanted to try again later and thought my game didnt save so i should be good but when i reloaded my game the key and the mods were gone. I then signed up for shift and got another key but got a rocket launcher that has been quickly replaced.

#13 Edited by Atlas (2457 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I remember using my Gold Key as soon as possible (which wasn't accidental, just me being impatient) and I an OK purple assault rifle. Of course it was soon enough exchanged for something else as I quickly rose up the early levels.

Kinda crazy, though, just how random the loot system is in Borderlands 2. There's moments where some unlucky soul like yourself can get 2 grenade mods out of a golden chest, and yet I also managed to find an orange-rarity pistol from beating Knuckledragger... the first boss in the game. Like, it wasn't even NG+, either!

One of the first sidequests in the game takes you to an area with these floating buildings and a midget was riding this boss, and it dropped an orange. It was an awesome assault rifle, and I used it as one of my go-to guns for the next ten or so levels. It is indeed crazy how random it is; I've found myself spending much more money on buying guns, because I'm just not finding weapons that are that great from drops. I'm Lv. 23 and I think I've got two oranges - that assault rifle and one grenade. I feel like I was changing out weapons and finding better stuff so much more rapidly in the original game.

I was one of the idiots who saw a chest and though "OH LOOK A CHEST IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN LET'S OPEN IT BECAUSE THIS GAME IS ABOUT OPENING CHESTS". I'd heard the warnings about people spending their golden keys without realising it, but the exact same thing happened to me. And I haven't got anymore keys so...whatever.

#14 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Yup @CatsAkimbo: Just... use them.. then? If you're never going to use them, wouldn't it be better to risk it and get something versus nothing? Unless you mean you just hate the concept of them. I can understand that.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

same exact thing, but one was a transfusion and I need those for the challenges.

#16 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Where do you get those keys? I have none. Played for like 30 hours.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (22568 posts) -

@Atlas: Oh, I think I got that same gun! Different playthrough, though, but it was a Torque Orange assault rifle and it had a red-lettered caption of like, ''Torque's got even more BOOM'', or something.

#18 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

That's fucked up.

#19 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

Funny think is two of the best pistols I've ever had I got from that chest. They shot so fast, had huge clips, did a lot of damage and one was corrosive.

#20 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -

@Klei said:

Where do you get those keys? I have none. Played for like 30 hours.

They're given away on twitter or for preordering at places or for signing up for the Gearbox account thing. They're not drops in the game (unless they are and I don't know it).

#21 Posted by MB (13132 posts) -

I made a thread about this weeks ago and urged everyone to use their keys while leveling up. Waiting until 50 is a waste of keys.

#22 Posted by Alphazero (1548 posts) -

I got two blue SMGs that are pretty awesome. Not mind blowing, but I use them all the time now.

#23 Edited by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

I accrued nine keys through pre-order, SHiFT signup, and Twitter codes, and used one when things got very dry for my level 39 commando.

I got a reasonable e-tech machine gun, but I wasn't a machine gun guy so I ended up killing literally less than ten people with that. I also got a shotgun (4600x3) that launched three balls in a low arc with fire damage. That one was OK, though it was very difficult to actually hit anything due to its firing arc, and I already had a couple of lower level shotguns that did higher, explosive damage.

Then I got a level fifty Social Conference Call when I clicked over while killing the Warrior in TVHM.

That thing's pretty good.

As in, soloing Terramorphous in twenty seconds good.

Those keys don't hold their value once you realize that no matter your level, the drops you're getting are probably at least a little better than what's in the chest.

#24 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Atlas: Oh, I think I got that same gun! Different playthrough, though, but it was a Torque Orange assault rifle and it had a red-lettered caption of like, ''Torque's got even more BOOM'', or something.

Was it with your second character? My primary, a commando, got his first orange at level 35 and his second at 50. My secondary, a level 6 assassin, got that same Torque orange when killing Midgemong and an orange grenade mod fifteen minutes later when killing Boom and Bewm.

My third and fourth have both gotten a lot more money than either one, too. My commando rolled into Sanctuary with around two grand (if I remember correctly) while my gunzerker and siren had nearly seven apiece.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to work out this way or if it truly is completely random.

#25 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

No, I used mine by mistake the instant I spawn in front of the chest.

#26 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

@MB said:

I made a thread about this weeks ago and urged everyone to use their keys while leveling up. Waiting until 50 is a waste of keys.

word, considering there's dick all to do after 50 and that if you do want to do anymore legendaries are all that matter.

#27 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

@mlarrabee: What is the damage on that social conference call? I have heard of this rifle, but yet to see one...

#28 Posted by laserbolts (5368 posts) -

Used 8 so far and haven't gotten one upgrade yet.

#29 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

The gold chest can't drop "The Bee" and thus is completely useless much like (almost) every other piece of loot in the game

#30 Posted by WiqidBritt (580 posts) -

use it in another (level 50) friend's game, that way you can open the chest repeatedly, so long as you don't leave.

it is possible to get great stuff out of it, but the chance of getting something you'd actually want is low enough that it pretty much demands that you take advantage of the exploit.

#31 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

I wonder if they'll add a key chest that holds oranges in a DLC pack. I'm up to my armpits in purples.

#32 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

@WiqidBritt: Wow, good tip, thanks. I hope they don't patch this. I noticed when I jump into someone's game my skill tree gets reset and I don't need to pay to respec. I wondered if there were other exploits like this when you coop.

#33 Edited by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

At first I was annoyed I'd used mine on auto pilot when I first saw the chest in Sanctuary, now I'm glad I did as I don't have to worry about the stupid system any more. (Although I'm finding Borderlands in general a bit of a slog to get through anyway now so whatever, Lvl 26 and I think it's shown me all its 'tricks' )

#34 Posted by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

I never understood the "wait untill level 50" thing. Once I hit level 50, I would see no reason to keep playing as that character. Unless I wanted to show off to my friends or somehting... Anyway, you would think it would be more fun to use rare guns during the middle of the game. At least it is for me.

#35 Posted by Gaspatchosoup (45 posts) -

@Live2bRighteous: the wait till 50 was because 1 you will get a better item and 2 because they are going to raise the level cap in dlc like the did in the first 1. Look at the trophy you get for lvl 50 i believe it says reached the highest lvl for now or something like that.

#36 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@TeamJersey said:

What is the damage on that social conference call? I have heard of this rifle, but yet to see one...

It's actually a shotgun. If I remember right, it does around 5800x5, but the thing with Conference Calls is the pellets travel until they hit a target and then turn ninety degrees and fly off in either direction, forming a sort of an hourglass laid on its side. For normal combat, this causes it to hit the first enemy, but then also hit the enemies on either side.

But for large enemies, like BA threshers, the Warrior, and Terramorphous, anytime you hit 'em the pellets continue to hit as they travel outward. One critical hit shot on the Warrior ends up adding up to a dozen or so crits, because the pellets keep critting as they travel either direction.

#37 Posted by TooSweet (398 posts) -

I got two keys. One from pre-order and one from Joining some club thing in the game. The game glitched and I got one key that I lost by opening a chest too early back. Used one key in my early 30's and another in my 40's. So waiting for the next one at 50.

Luckily I got a legendary gun from that pirate dude where you get Clap Trap's ship from. It's called the Punctilious Thunderball Fist. Not very high level but I used it until my late teens in the game. Lots of fun to use. Used it on my secondary and now my third character will be using it.

#38 Posted by WiqidBritt (580 posts) -

@djou: that skill tree reset thing seems to just be somewhat random, doesn't happen every time you join someone else's game.

#39 Posted by WiqidBritt (580 posts) -

@mlarrabee: that's not what the Conference Call does. The initial shots fly forward like normal, but at regular intervals in their flight path (8 times I believe) each pellet shoots out two extra to the left and right side.

The intention being that shooting it down the center of a large room has a chance to hit anyone on the sides. Hence the "let's just ping everyone at once" flavor text.

#40 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

@WiqidBritt said:

@mlarrabee: that's not what the Conference Call does. The initial shots fly forward like normal, but at regular intervals in their flight path (8 times I believe) each pellet shoots out two extra to the left and right side.

The intention being that shooting it down the center of a large room has a chance to hit anyone on the sides. Hence the "let's just ping everyone at once" flavor text.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong; I just based my understanding of it off of personal observation.

Do you know why the firing pattern you described above would cause multiple hits to the same target? I imagine it would certainly clear a room, but that only the initial pellets would reach and hit the primary mob, rendering it par with any other shotgun against singular enemies such as the Warrior.

#41 Posted by WiqidBritt (580 posts) -

@mlarrabee: For some reason, and I doubt it's intended, the initial shot seems to travel through large targets. So, something like Terramorphous would actually have the extra pellets bursting out from inside him. This is supported by the fact that it does much more damage to him when he's facing you head on and you can put the shots all the way through his enormous head.

It might actually pass through all enemies, but it's most obvious on bigger targets.

#42 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

@WiqidBritt: Yeah I noticed. I guess that's why I mention it, can you repeatedly open the chest if you have a golden key or does it randomly work?

I have 5 and for some irrational reason I keep saving them for level 50.

#43 Posted by WiqidBritt (580 posts) -

@djou: as long as you're not hosting, the chest will close when you remove the items inside and you'll be able to open it again. Though I suspect that if you have more than one key, it'll keep using them, and then just keep going when you get down to 0 keys left.

#44 Posted by golguin (4050 posts) -

I don't think you'd want to wait till level 50 since people seem to only be concerned with legendary items/weapons at that level. You want to use them on your way to level 50 when you feel droughts. Of course I say this when I had 8 keys in the bank and I could spread them out over level 20-50 so I can always have something powerful just a few levels away.

#45 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

This is one of the grenades I got, btw, which I am still using.

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@TeamJersey said:

This is one of the grenades I got, btw, which I am still using.

So, it explodes the moment you throw it?

#47 Posted by Evilsbane (4743 posts) -

I did mine at level 14 because I got stuck in the bandit stronghold I am still using the two purps I got at level 21 so totally worth it.

#48 Posted by TeamJersey (341 posts) -

@Ravenlight: It causes a singularity mid air when thrown and then sucks everyone towards it and explodes. Pretty rad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.