so is maya a guy or is gearbox just lazy?

#1 Posted by lord_canti (1519 posts) -

its a stupid question but its really bugging me. Ive played as a siren in both borderlands games due to preferring the powers over the others offered but the way other characters have referred to me directly as a gender its always male. i understand the handsome jack "butt stallion" joke in reference to a female character but im playing trough mr tourgue's campaign of carnage and he is specifically saying "he is a coward". so are they just lazy and don't want to do a second take with a word changed or did they want it to be up in the air.....or of coarse i could just be nit picking and getting bugged by something small that most people wouldn't notice

#2 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Maya could biologically be female but identify as a dude. Not a biggy.

#3 Posted by believer258 (12000 posts) -

Maya could biologically be female but identify as a dude. Not a biggy.

...or they just didn't re-record the line to say "he" instead of "she". Or they forgot to.

Still not a "biggy", but I really doubt that Maya is meant to be interpreted as someone physically female but identifies as a dude.

#4 Edited by JoeyRavn (4995 posts) -

Wow. You're reading way too much into this. Are you bothered by the fact that NPCs also use the singular when there's a full four-person party playing?

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I agree with you that it is lazy, but it is also not as easy as you say.

You also need to perform a check to see what characture the player is using. And, depending on how they have the audio code, to see if the caricature is playing single player.

And play the file accordingly. You are asking them to program more functions into the game. Granted I have not played any of the DLC for borderlands, I am being pessimistic about doing so, trying to get into the mood. And so don't know how much effort they put into the programing of the levels in the game. It could be simply that they dont have functions to do this, and they cant add functions after the fact.

#6 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

I have a theory. Do you remember Poison? This is exactly the same situation. She can be anything you want her to be, man. You think she's transsexual? No problem! You think she's a woman? You got it! You think sh- THE POSSIBILITIES ARE LIMITLESS!

Or... Gearbox was lazy and did not record gender specific dialogs.

I think my idea is way better though...

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

There is also a glitch where Maya's voice switches to a male character's audio by accident; so...

While the likely answer is just some odd glitch or a mistake in the recording sessions, maybe they really do want to keep it a bit ambiguous. ha.

#8 Posted by stalefishies (335 posts) -
@dagbiker said:

You also need to perform a check to see what characture the player is using. And, depending on how they have the audio code, to see if the caricature is playing single player.

And play the file accordingly. You are asking them to program more functions into the game. Granted I have not played any of the DLC for borderlands, I am being pessimistic about doing so, trying to get into the mood. And so don't know how much effort they put into the programing of the levels in the game. It could be simply that they dont have functions to do this, and they cant add functions after the fact.

if (player_class == siren) audio_play(torgue_says_stuff.ogg) else audio_play(torgue_says_stuff_female.ogg);

It's really not that hard, and even if it was, why is that suddenly an acceptable excuse? It's probably quite hard to write good, funny dialogue, but that doesn't excuse the bits of Borderlands 2 that just aren't that funny. Also, I don't know software development, but I'm pretty sure adding new functions is kind of integral to the process of adding new content to the game. Like, that's kind of entirely what software patching is.

#9 Edited by Creamypies (4076 posts) -

@truthtellah: There is a story justification as to why she sounds like a man temporarily.

You obtain a voice modulator for a mission to make your character sound like Handsome Jack, and this effect will not disappear until you complete the next story mission.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

@truthtellah: There is a story justification as to why she sounds like a man temporarily.

You obtain a voice modulator for a mission to make your character sound like Handsome Jack, and this effect will not disappear until you complete the next story mission.

Yeah, and apparently that audio is always available, as there is a real glitch that can and does occur sometimes which renders her voice male. Of course -that- isn't intentional, but they do seem willing to play around with gender a bit.

#11 Posted by lord_canti (1519 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

if (player_class == siren) audio_play(torgue_says_stuff.ogg) else audio_play(torgue_says_stuff_female.ogg);

It's really not that hard, and even if it was, why is that suddenly an acceptable excuse? It's probably quite hard to write good, funny dialogue, but that doesn't excuse the bits of Borderlands 2 that just aren't that funny. Also, I don't know software development, but I'm pretty sure adding new functions is kind of integral to the process of adding new content to the game. Like, that's kind of entirely what software patching is.

this and that at one point recently there was talk about re writing and re recording tiny tina so there fine in making slight changes to dialog where appropriate so why didn't they do this small thing at the time?

#12 Edited by believer258 (12000 posts) -

There is also a glitch where Maya's voice switches to a male character's audio by accident; so...

While the likely answer is just some odd glitch or a mistake in the recording sessions, maybe they really do want to keep it a bit ambiguous. ha.

That sounds like some kid just took out Maya's voice and put his own clips in there. There's quite a difference in the audio quality.

#13 Edited by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

@believer258: heh. Regardless of the veracity of that video, you can find many people who have mentioned this glitch in forums about the game.

#14 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

My guess is it's the same reason people are still losing items and Badass Rank after updates. Gearbox is lazy.

#15 Posted by Scrawnto (2456 posts) -

@stalefishies said:
@dagbiker said:

this and that at one point recently there was talk about re writing and re recording tiny tina so there fine in making slight changes to dialog where appropriate so why didn't they do this small thing at the time?

I think stalefishies has their clauses mixed up, but they're right that the scripting isn't hard.

Having all the writing and conditions just right before they do any recording is the much trickier part. They don't just have the actors on call at all times to record and rework and rerecord stuff. They bust it all out in a few days, and by the time they have it in game and notice the strange bits, the actors have moved on to other gigs. Tiny Tina is probably an exception, since the voice actress is related to one of the writers, as I recall.

Yeah, it would be nice if things were more flexible at Gearbox the way things were at Irrational, where they iterated endlessly on the story of Bioshock Infinite, but that costs money, quite a lot of it, and in this particular case wouldn't really make that much difference to the final project.

#16 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that according to Borderland's canon, only women can be Sirens. So if she's a Siren it stands to reason she's a woman, and the developers are just lazy.

Or thought no one would play as her.

#17 Edited by fisk0 (4291 posts) -

Isn't "their"/"they" accepted non-gender specific words that can be used to reference both one person and several, which could potentially solve both the "I don't know which character they're playing as" and "I don't know how many players there are" issues?

As English isn't my native language, I could very well be wrong though.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

Isn't "their"/"they" accepted non-gender specific words that can be used to reference both one person and several, which could potentially solve both the "I don't know which character they're playing as" and "I don't know how many players there are" issues?

As English isn't my native language, I could very well be wrong though.

Technically, no. I just did this exact thing in a English Composition II paper and was corrected by my prof. "Their" and "they" are plural and are not proper while referring to a single person.

But in this game that is often played co-op anyway, it would probably be a good idea.

#19 Edited by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

Its just a weird oversight or they figured it wasn't worth the time programming two versions of the dialogue in the game. Since there are now currently four male characters and only two female. Two thirds of the time it will be a male character the line is referring to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.