So, Physx is working on my ATI card.... That cant be right

#1 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

So im not sure if its working in its full capacity but turning Physx up changes the physics for me. We all know its a gimmick anyways but i was under the impression it was supposed to be locked for ATI users compleaty. Im guessing that it only partially works or they screwed something up but as far as i can see it looks about the same as it dose in there demo and im running a 6970. Am i missing something?

#2 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

you have cloth tearing and such ? hmnz

#3 Posted by Terjay (809 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Not 100% sure but you should be able to run physx on your CPU regardless of the brand, you just can't run it on your GPU if it's an AMD card.

Yep.

#4 Edited by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Ok, was always under the impression that if you were running ati it locked you out completely. I disabled it anyways as i took quite a performance hit with it on but it is a nice effect.

#5 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

@dudy80: Yeah, the performance hit is pretty bad when it runs off the CPU, so a lot of games will lock you out, especially from the higher settings.

#6 Posted by Zurv (440 posts) -

I was running it on high and it didn't hurt my system to much. (ati too)

#7 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Everything's running on max at 1920x1080, including PhsyX and I'm yet to drop under 60fps. Looks tasty as fuck. ATI here too.

#8 Edited by FakeKisser (313 posts) -

Weird. I have an ATI 5850 and a Nvidia 430 GT installed in my system in order to use the Hybrid PhysX mod, and I still had to change an ini file to get PhysX to work, since the option was grayed out for me in the settings menu.

My new computer is going to just have Nvidia cards, though, because I don't want to mess with the hybrid setup anymore...and I do like the PhysX effects (hardware-based PhysX, obviously).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.