So, thoughts on Master Gee? (Spoilers?)

#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

I'm fighting Master Gee right now on my desktop computer. Like, literally, right now. And by "fighting" I mean "hiding behind a rock, waiting for its massive health pool to deplete". That basically sums up my opinion on Master Gee: a gimmick fight obviously designed to punish the players for abusing The Bee + Conference Call/Babymaker combo.

While Terramorphous and Hyperius were extremely tough, you could at least grind and farm the shit out of The Warrior to get better gear and have a chance against them. But not against Gee, no. Think about it: a boss that you just can't damage with your weapon, in a game that revolves around getting better and better weapons. Makes complete sense. What's even worse: if you somehow fail to make Gee walk over one of the poison puddles that the worms create, that poison will quickly fill the whole stage, guaranteeing a total wipe. And I'm sure the worms are bugged: half of the time, explosions go right through them. Getting a second wind from a worm has been an impossible task for me.

So, yeah. Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot > Master Gee. There, I said it. What are your thoughts on this fight?

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Haven't seen him since I've been stuck for hours on Hyperius. Been reading guides and watching videos all day, and it more or less seems you need the Baby Maker if you want a chance to solo him. So I finally got one (by farming Mad Dog), and I still can't manage to get him below 50% before he puts up his shield and obliterates me. I'm sure those fights can be fun in a party, but when playing alone...meh. :(

#3 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Cincaid: Soloing Hyperius is more of a crash course on micromanagement than anything else. At least, that's my experience with him. I spent all morning farming for a Bee (managed to score a pretty sweet Grounded Bee with 20000 more Amp damage than what I previously had), a Babymaker and a Tediore Allegiance Relic (more gun/reload damage). I specced my Commando to maximize damage and health recovery (which resulted in a turret that was there just to buff my damage output, but did jack shit against Hyperius)... and he fucked me more than once.

His double nuke attack is the worst. If you are a Commando, you have two options: either use your turret's shield to cover yourself from the blast or have a secondary shield with really high defense. The first option is good, but you probably won't be able to lower the cooldown of the turret (at least not with the build I used) enough to prepare for another round of nukes, which he uses rather frequently. The second option is more viable, but you need to pay a lot of attention to his attack patterns, so you know when to switch out your Bee for the other shield. You should combine both strategies for better results, though. I wouldn't know what to do with other class.

If you're using a Baby Maker, try to get some reloads in him before he summons his robots. Then back the fuck off. Put as much ground between Hyperius and you as possible. Not only it's easier to avoid his minions' missiles if your are far from him, but his nuke attack does more damage the closer you're to the center of the explosion. Then it's just a matter of trying to shut his robots one by one, paying attention to Hyperius. When he is about to start pounding the floor, you know he'll unleash his nuke attack, probably two or three times in a row. Try to cover using your turret or switching shields... and that's about it. When his shields are down, try to throw everything you have at him. He himself is not really hard. Your main threats are his robots and, especially, his nuke. If you manage to kill him, don't worry about his robots. Many of them will probably be still alive, but you can ignore them, since the mission will already have registered as completed.

Good luck.

PS: While I was writing this, Master Gee's life finally went down to 1 HP. I threw in my turrets from behind my hidey-rock and nailed that bastard. Now all I have to do with this character is get a damn Conference Call...

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (7985 posts) -

Damage is still very important in the Gee fight since you have to burn down the worms quickly, especially when he gets lower on health and starts spawning them significantly faster. Weapons matter just as much vs. Gee as they do vs. Hyperius.

Actually it took me probably 8 deaths before I took out Hyperius. I only died to Gee once and it was because the first time I fought him I went in blind and literally had no idea how to damage him. The second run was close but he died in the end. My only problem with Gee is the fact that he bugged and dropped no loot the second time I killed him.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Damage is still very important in the Gee fight since you have to burn down the worms quickly, especially when he gets lower on health and starts spawning them significantly faster. Weapons matter just as much vs. Gee as they do vs. Hyperius.

You can kill Master Gee without firing a single bullet at him. It's no glitch, no exploit, just hide behind a rock. I'm sure that "strategy" must have come up during testing. It's just too obvious not to. But, sure, if you want to fight him the "legit" way, you need high DPS. Nowhere near as with Hyperius, though.

Be as it may, my point still stands: the greatest difference between both bosses is that while you actually have to engage Hyperius in direct combat, you are basically trying to avoid getting killed by (and if possibly, kill) the worms so you can kite Master Gee around the arena. Instead of having an interesting boss, we have what is basically a test of patience. A very buggy test of patience.

Yeah. I'm really pissed at the game right now and it shows. I love Borderlands 2, but this cheap shit is way beyond what I find "acceptable".

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
@StarvingGamer @JoeyRavn Question, are the two of you doing these bosses on playthrough 2.5? I'm shocked that you have such an easy time with them, since I honestly can't see how I'm supposed to solo them...
#7 Edited by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

I almost think Master Gee is one big troll. My three co-op partners and I hid behind a rock for like an hour and a half until he died, and then when he did die the host's game froze! Those of us who weren't hosting had it count, but for our Host had to go on and attempt it again...and had the same result another three times. Totally crazy. I'm not pissed at it, I just find it kind of amusing. It almost feels like Gearbox thumbing their nose at that pocket of fans who will always find a boss "too easy" no matter its difficulty.

Hyperius on the other hand is a totally cool boss and seems like the right sort of difficult.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (7985 posts) -

@Cincaid: It doesn't matter which playthrough you do it on, they are always going to be level... 52? And believe me, it's definitely not easy. You really need to gear/play in a very specific way to even stand a chance. It's min/maxing your character to the point where you're almost exploiting the game.

Or, in the case of Gee, I guess some people are straight up exploiting some bad geometry to kill him. Then they're complaining the the EXPLOIT for beating him is too dumb/boring? It boggles the mind. It's like complaining that /iddqd makes Doom too easy.

@MEATBALL: If you kill Gee legitimately, he's actually a bit easier than Hyperius. A group of 4 should be able to take him out in 5 minutes no problemo.

#9 Posted by jmood88 (392 posts) -

He's easily the worst thing in the game. Hyperopia was actually pretty easy to beat once I played with a group of competent people but Gee is boring and cheap.

#10 Posted by BaconGames (3290 posts) -

Oh, I thought this was about Master Gee the rapper...moving on but I guess I'll keep that in mind when I get around to BL2.

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@StarvingGamer @JoeyRavn Question, are the two of you doing these bosses on playthrough 2.5? I'm shocked that you have such an easy time with them, since I honestly can't see how I'm supposed to solo them...

@StarvingGamer said:

@Cincaid: It doesn't matter which playthrough you do it on, they are always going to be level... 52?

Yep, all in TVHM. I've heard that even if the have the same levels in Playthrough 1 and 2, they actually get more health and defense in TVHM. I really can't confirm that info, because I didn't even try taking them on Normal. But, anyway, I know I make it look easy (because, let's be honest, it's part of my natural charm), but trust me: neither Master Gee nor Hyperius were easy. I. died. a. lot. until I was able to finally kill them. Mainly against Hyperius, because the fight against Master Gee basically involves hiding behind a rock and hoping the poison doesn't glitch. At least if you're doing it solo and are not insane to try the "proper" way.

@StarvingGamer said:

Or, in the case of Gee, I guess some people are straight up exploiting some bad geometry to kill him. Then they're complaining the the EXPLOIT for beating him is too dumb/boring? It boggles the mind. It's like complaining that /iddqd makes Doom too easy.

No, just the opposite: I'm pissed because he's virtually impossible to beat solo if you don't abuse the secure position behind the rock at the entrance. I thought it was pretty clear in my OP and my second post. The fight itself is extremely boring and repetitive (because he has a shitload of HP and you have to kite him around the arena), and you can die extremely easily because the poison may glitch randomly, cover the whole arena and deplete your shields and health without being able to do anything to stop it. And if you kill him, your Xbox/PC may lock up without the game registering the quest as completed.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (7985 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: They're raid bosses. They're supposed to be virtually impossible to beat solo. And personally I found the Hyperius fight to be much more boring because killing him had almost nothing to do with my skill as a player of shooters and everything to do with my patience to farm a very specific set of equipment. Solo Hyperius is just a gear check, nothing more. It's probably the same reason I don't jive well with the end-game of most MMO's but love Monster Hunter.

#13 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Finally managed to beat Hyperius (yay me!), and went straight for Master Gee. Made him eat four gas clouds, then parked myself behind the rock. He dies (yay me again!) and then my game freezes. Apparently this is a common bug for both X360 and PC (and PS3?) users, which made the entire victory extremely anticlimactic. :(

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Cincaid

@JoeyRavn: Finally managed to beat Hyperius (yay me!), and went straight for Master Gee. Made him eat four gas clouds, then parked myself behind the rock. He dies (yay me again!) and then my game freezes. Apparently this is a common bug for both X360 and PC (and PS3?) users, which made the entire victory extremely anticlimactic. :(

Wanna help me kill hyperius? You got 360 right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.