The "humor" in this game is atrocious

#1 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

The script and challenges read like a 12 year old who just discovered Know Your Meme

#2 Posted by MaxxS (204 posts) -

Okay.

#3 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

That's disappointing to hear, the guy that wrote it probably has the funniest web series on the internet. Wonder what went wrong...

#4 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

You (No)mad, bro?

Couldn't resist.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

Bullet to the Knee. Bacon.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4739 posts) -

Fuck opinions!

#7 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Needs more dick-tits.

#8 Posted by coaxmetal (1640 posts) -

YOUR ATROCIOUS

#9 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I chuckled a couple of times, which is more than you can say than 99% of games who try to be funny. But then again, my sense of humor is a little unsophisticated. Anyway, I disagree.

#10 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

This thread is atrocious. I don't have Borderlands 2 and have no idea what you're talking about. You may as well be some old man yelling at a cloud. Next time think about adding some substance to your post. You know, like examples of what you're referring to.

#11 Posted by coaxmetal (1640 posts) -

Also, the meme references are generally pretty bad, but so far I thought some of the other stuff was funnier than anything in the first one. Some of it made me laugh a little even.

#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

This is from the people who legitimately thought it was a good idea to bring out clap trap. Seriously, what did you expect?

#13 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@louiedog:

#14 Posted by RazielCuts (2975 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

The script and challenges read like a 12 year old who just discovered Know Your Meme

Yup that sounds like someone who used to write for Destructoid alright! and dear God, @Kidavenger I hope you're being sarcastic, we all know why people watched that show and it wasn't for the jokes or the Dad (maybe the dad a little).

#15 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Huh, well I haven't gotten Borderlands 2 yet, but I had a few chuckles in the first game. What's really disappointing is that their marketing campaign is funnier and more well written than a lot of stuff in the first game. But hey, judging from what I've seen at least Borderlands 2 has a plot, so I'm happy.

#16 Edited by chilibean_3 (1657 posts) -

He put the word humor is quotes! That means he is serious, you guys!

#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
#18 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

It's unreasonable for a game with this many jokes to hit 100% of the time. Yeah, the memes are dumb, but they're also just a very small part of the overall humor offered. If you don't find stuff like the mission where Tanis sends you to hunt down the metaphorical Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles funny, then maybe you should stick to the New Yorker or Wes Anderson movies or something.

#19 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@Silvergun: The best way I can describe it is like having a little brother. You say something funny once or twice to your little brother, and he starts using it himself and never shuts up about it, and he keeps using it over and over and over, And suddenly you'll get tired of it and hate it. It's kind of like that, it's just bad comedy AM I COOL YET GUIS GET DA REFERENCE kind of shit.

This stuff WAS funny when I saw it like five years ago.

#20 Posted by sixpin (1297 posts) -

Been enjoying it myself. Sounds like you don't like lighthearted dumb humor. Maybe play something else. Maybe something more serious. Or watch Downton Abby instead. Perhaps read a Jane Austen novel and sip on your Sleepy Time Tea.

Or not.

Whatever.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@sixpin: I love that defense.

There's room for dumb humor that isn't super lazy meme bullshit (see: saints row the third)

#22 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Yup that sounds like someone who used to write for Destructoid alright! and dear God, @Kidavenger I hope you're being sarcastic, we all know why people watched that show and it wasn't for the jokes or the Dad (maybe the dad a little).

I think the show's pretty funny. I wouldn't go as far as to call one of the funniest series on the entire internet... but I enjoy it. Also ew, seriously? I've always thought Ash looks kinda... goofy. She has a good face for comedy; one I certainly wouldn't have pegged to attract a swarm of creepers. But then I think Felicia Day is also kinda strange looking and she's apparently perceived as a 'hot gamer chick' as well. *shrug*.

#23 Posted by Capum15 (4927 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

That's disappointing to hear, the guy that wrote it probably has the funniest web series on the internet. Wonder what went wrong...

Left 4 Friends 2 is amazing.
#24 Posted by sixpin (1297 posts) -

@Animasta: Not a defense, as that implies an argument. I'm not attempting to change his mind. I think this thread is kind of dumb and doesn't offer so much a discussion as it does flame bait. Kinda like I'm not taking your lazy/saints-did-it-better bait.

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@louiedog said:

You may as well be some old man yelling at a cloud.

That gave me a good laugh!

#26 Posted by EuanDewar (5029 posts) -

The bullet to the knee thing is reallll dumb

#27 Posted by BlastProcessing (921 posts) -

Yeah, the constant old-ass memes being spewed is really lame, but other than that it's so far gotten the occasional chuckle out of me, something the first borderlands failed at doing.

#28 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I love Internet humor so I should probably get this, it fits this game perfectly!

#29 Edited by believer258 (11986 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

You (No)mad, bro?

Couldn't resist.

(No) mad

No mad

Nomad

NOMAD?

Just some crazy guessing.

EDIT: To be fair, OP, I wasn't a fan of the brand of humor in the Quick Look either. Some of it does, indeed, seem horribly eye-rolling in that Saints Row The Third kind of way.

Yep, that's right, I didn't find SR3 horribly funny either. Words like "butt-stallion" are fucking horrible. It's not that I'm pretentious, but I don't really like the stupid nonsensical brand of humor.

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5806 posts) -

I hope you're wrong. More games should try to make people laugh, and it seems whenever people try to make a game with lots of comedy someone discourages them for it. Humor is about as subjective as a thing can get though so maybe I'll find this game hilarious.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: Why so serious? Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

#32 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I usually find off-the-wall humour works better when it's almost innocent and silly instead of trying to be over the top and dudebro. The little brother analogy is really good, works for the whole internet really.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

I don't mind the dumb sophmoric humor.

But that said; I'm really put off by how cavalier the game treats torture. They treat it like this amusing thing, like Three Stooges why-you-knucklehead comedy, instead of the most horrific and brutal thing a living being can ever suffer. The early Captain Flynt part... "At the sound of Heaton screaming for his life, it'll be 2:30" "WHY OH GOD WHY?!" "Next scheduled broadcast at 2:35" ... HAHAHA ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT SOMEONE IS BEING PUT THROUGH PERPETUAL MORTAL AGONY?! ISN'T IT FUCKING HYSTERICAL?! Every time it shows torture as this amusing aside (Dr. Zed repeatedly fucking with that strapped down patient) it makes me grind my teeth.

#34 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@McGhee: OH BOY ANOTHER OLD MEME

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

#35 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

@Silvergun: The best way I can describe it is like having a little brother. You say something funny once or twice to your little brother, and he starts using it himself and never shuts up about it, and he keeps using it over and over and over, And suddenly you'll get tired of it and hate it. It's kind of like that, it's just bad comedy AM I COOL YET GUIS GET DA REFERENCE kind of shit.

This stuff WAS funny when I saw it like five years ago.

Well, I do agree that referential humor usually sucks, and to be fair, it's the weakest part of the game's humor. However, it's just part of it. When it's not busy making fun of Top Gun or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I think it does a great job. Lillith's dialogue during the mission involving the cult that's started worshiping her is hilarious, and the part where the AI just about drops the MF bomb but catches herself got a laugh out of me. I just ignore the U MAD?!? garbage and enjoy the rest of the humor the game has to offer.

#36 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

#37 Posted by DonChipotle (2783 posts) -

Uh, you get to take a mission from Goose from Top Gun and then you get to kill the people from Top Gun and then later you can kill Tuco and Angel Eyes.

And it is funny to do that.

#38 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Clap Trap's just fucking annoying and everyone talks too damn much in this game. To quote Jeff from the most recent Bombcast, "shut up!"

#39 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

@Brodehouse: But shooting dudes in the face doesn't make you grind your teeth because they aren't making direct jokes about it? I'm genuinely inquiring, not being sarcastic.

#40 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

#41 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

I don't know where on the scale of sophistication my humor level lies at, but your response made me laugh.

#42 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@ericdrum said:

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

I don't know where on the scale of sophistication my humor level lies at, but your response made me laugh.

Take the idiocy far enough and it wraps back around to being funny again. lol

And the idea of "sophisticated humor" is kind of bullshit. Something is either funny or it isn't.

#43 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@ericdrum said:

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

And the idea of "sophisticated humor" is kind of bullshit. Something is either funny or it isn't.

You seem to be under the impression that I disagree with this sentiment. I watch Tim and Eric, for fuck's sake. Hell, do you think I'd be on this website if I were looking for "high-brow" humor? All I'm saying is that this shit is tired and old and not funny any more.

#44 Posted by kindgineer (2767 posts) -

I hate it when people post non-sense like this with nothing to back it up with. Yes, we all understand this is the internet and that you want to express your feelings, but if you don't give any context as to why you're just plugging up the forums with amateur ranting.

Give us scenarios, text, or anything else you may have found "atrocious." It's 100% okay to not like the humor in the game, but when you say it like this, you sound no better than a whining pre-teen.

#45 Posted by EpicSteve (6492 posts) -

I used to be a vault hunter like you, then I took a bullet to the knee.

#46 Posted by joetom (116 posts) -

I almost feel like they're trying to make you cringe with a lot of the jokes.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@ericdrum said:

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

there's a difference between stupid humor and lazy humor though.

#48 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@McGhee said:

@ericdrum said:

@McGhee said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

YOU SURE GOT ME GOOD

U mad, bro?

there's a difference between stupid humor and lazy humor though.

Both could still be funny and I'm not really saying one way or another about Borderlands 2. I haven't played it yet. My comment about sophisticated humor was just as a reply to what the other dude said.

#49 Posted by chilibean_3 (1657 posts) -

The meme based humor is terrible as to be expected. But I've laughed a lot more during this one than I ever did in the first. I don't know why Butt Stallion is really funny but here I am chuckling at it. Even Clap Trap became more likable somehow.

#50 Posted by RazielCuts (2975 posts) -

Also I will say, what level of humour can you expect from the studio that bought the Duke Nukem franchise? From what I can see with all the meme stuff in the game it seems almost like a modern day Duke, call out's to the culture of today.

Instead of saying 'Hail to the King, baby' it's 'Yo Dawg' 'Leroy Jenkins' and 'umad bro?'. Only problem is this is the internet and things move faster than they did in ye olden Duke and those meme's are played the fuck out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.