Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

The "humor" in this game is atrocious

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ck1nd said:

I hate it when people post non-sense like this with nothing to back it up with. Yes, we all understand this is the internet and that you want to express your feelings, but if you don't give any context as to why you're just plugging up the forums with amateur ranting.

Give us scenarios, text, or anything else you may have found "atrocious." It's 100% okay to not like the humor in the game, but when you say it like this, you sound no better than a whining pre-teen.

Read the thread. There are examples. You're the one who's coming off like something silly.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Ravenlight

@sixpin said:

Or watch Downton Abby instead. Perhaps read a Jane Austen novel and sip on your Sleepy Time Tea.

Sick burns.

ozzy369123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ozzy369123

So what, I didn't buy borderlands because I was looking for a game that would blow me away with its comedic writing and rich humor. I bought the game because shooting and looting is pretty fucking great.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By BisonHero

@Brodehouse said:

I don't mind the dumb sophmoric humor.

But that said; I'm really put off by how cavalier the game treats torture. They treat it like this amusing thing, like Three Stooges why-you-knucklehead comedy, instead of the most horrific and brutal thing a living being can ever suffer. The early Captain Flynt part... "At the sound of Heaton screaming for his life, it'll be 2:30" "WHY OH GOD WHY?!" "Next scheduled broadcast at 2:35" ... HAHAHA ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT SOMEONE IS BEING PUT THROUGH PERPETUAL MORTAL AGONY?! ISN'T IT FUCKING HYSTERICAL?! Every time it shows torture as this amusing aside (Dr. Zed repeatedly fucking with that strapped down patient) it makes me grind my teeth.

I've tried to have that discussion on these forums before, and nobody was having it, so best of luck. I agree that it's one thing to shoot dudes in the face and give them a quick demise, conforming to the Geneva Conventions and all that. Seeing a dude in continued pain should be handled a little differently.

Admittedly, my example was more fantastical. I thought some of the special death animations in Dead Space were excessive, especially ones where like Isaac gets his leg ripped off, then Isaac howls in horrific agony for like 5-10 seconds while the monster/boss takes its sweetass time winding up its arm for the fatal blow. I guess people let it go because it's a horror game, but I didn't like that the implication was supposed to be that I thought it was hilarious or badass or something. Hell, maybe it was supposed to be gruesome to discourage the player from dying.

Comparatively, the deaths in something like Resident Evil 4 were varied and gory, but at least they were quick and to the point.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It is pretty bad.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Elazul

How do you read a 12 year old?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Riboflavin said:

YOUR ATROCIOUS

His atrocious what? :-d BL2 humor is not that great overall. There are a couple funny parts, but I agree overall.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By raviolisumo

Agreed. It's awful awful awful.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LikeaSsur

I disagree.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Marz

Some of the stuff in this game is kind of annoying and not funny but eh the gameplay is still fun.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MrKlorox
    @wewantsthering said:

@Riboflavin said:

YOUR ATROCIOUS

His atrocious what? :-d BL2 humor is not that great overall. There are a couple funny parts, but I agree overall.

I think he was playing a Black Card. 

I'm going to throw down "Kids with ass cancer."
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By laserbolts

I agree it's pretty fucking awful but at least everything else about the game is awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Riboflavin said:

YOUR ATROCIOUS

I think he was playing a Black Card. I'm going to throw down "Kids with ass cancer."

lol You're a terrible person.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By toowalrus

Shut up, butt stallion.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By UnrealDP

Not to join in on the chorus here, but I think it's pretty funny like 2/5 of the time while the rest is ether a bit too dumb or written by a 12 year old who just discovered the internet.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By Phatmac

BONER FART IS SO FUNNY YOU GUYS…..right?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By huntad

It's very hit-or-miss. I'm playing it now and some of the things Jeff said in the review, the "wait too long to activate" dialog, are spot on. Most of the attempts at humor that are meant to be seen aren't very funny.

ssdelorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ssdelorean

well, if the attempts at humor are so bad that they make some cringe and others giggle, then some could say theyre succeeding in their comedy. clown college teaches that there are two kinds of punch lines, the kinds that make you laugh and the kinds that make you disgusted. if you get the joke but you just find it in bad taste, its still funny, youre just not the target audience.

kind of like when daniel tosh said that girl should get raped because she was heckling. no its not laugh out loud hilarious, but its disturbingly funny because she was being dumb.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PeasantAbuse

"Dook Hut - No Fapping!" makes me lol every time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ericdrum said:

@Brodehouse: But shooting dudes in the face doesn't make you grind your teeth because they aren't making direct jokes about it? I'm genuinely inquiring, not being sarcastic.

I understand your point and it's not illegitimate, but your actions throughout the game are not murder, but lethal self-defense. Generally against wildlife, psychopathic killers and... an army funded by a slightly more intellectual psychopath. I agree that a lot of the "ow that had to hurt!" stuff is juvenile and sophomoric, but I think it's a country mile from casual torture as a comedic device. Maybe I'm just a big hardon about torture rather than gun violence, but I've rarely seen a game treat it as cavalier as Borderlands 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@BisonHero said:

@Brodehouse said:

But that said; I'm really put off by how cavalier the game treats torture. They treat it like this amusing thing, like Three Stooges why-you-knucklehead comedy, instead of the most horrific and brutal thing a living being can ever suffer. The early Captain Flynt part... "At the sound of Heaton screaming for his life, it'll be 2:30" "WHY OH GOD WHY?!" "Next scheduled broadcast at 2:35" ... HAHAHA ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT SOMEONE IS BEING PUT THROUGH PERPETUAL MORTAL AGONY?! ISN'T IT FUCKING HYSTERICAL?! Every time it shows torture as this amusing aside (Dr. Zed repeatedly fucking with that strapped down patient) it makes me grind my teeth.

I've tried to have that discussion on these forums before, and nobody was having it, so best of luck. I agree that it's one thing to shoot dudes in the face and give them a quick demise, conforming to the Geneva Conventions and all that. Seeing a dude in continued pain should be handled a little differently.

Admittedly, my example was more fantastical. I thought some of the special death animations in Dead Space were excessive, especially ones where like Isaac gets his leg ripped off, then Isaac howls in horrific agony for like 5-10 seconds while the monster/boss takes its sweetass time winding up its arm for the fatal blow. I guess people let it go because it's a horror game, but I didn't like that the implication was supposed to be that I thought it was hilarious or badass or something. Hell, maybe it was supposed to be gruesome to discourage the player from dying.

Comparatively, the deaths in something like Resident Evil 4 were varied and gory, but at least they were quick and to the point.

While I agree some of the Dead Space deaths are pure body horror gross out stuff, it goes towards that games core narrative of "this stuff is horrifying". Borderlands is a big dumb violent cartoon, saving the world and all these wacky characters from the scum of the wasteland is fun! ... but torture is not a thing I characterize as big and dumb. Tonally, it's completely off, especially the part I mentioned earlier. The one bandit is setting up a joke like an episode of Animaniacs, then the guy screams out in agony with the utmost conviction, and then the punchline and the tag. Cartoon, snuff film, cartoon, and suddenly I'm on edge and unsure about how much I'm into it.

I suppose it would be like imagining if every headshot had the character fall like a sack of potatoes and twitch around on the ground as their nervous system implodes, blood slowly leaks from an exit wound and their bowels loose. Giant geyser of blood and presto chango no head is cartoonish and wacky, it's an exaggeration of violence. Exit wounds and realistic death... that's used to shock and appall.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Milkman

@Brodehouse said:

This is actually the funniest thing I've heard about the game so far.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@MideonNViscera: I think it needs more of the bonerfarts...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By audiosnow

I can appreciate Borderlands humor because I think Gearbox knows exactly how kitschy and stupid it is.

They make "bacon" jokes not because they're funny, but because they were never funnyand will never be funny.

It transcends comedy, transmuting it into drama. Gearbox has written a mirror. "See, Internet? This is what you look like. Hideous, isn't it..."

Or maybe video game humor should be left to Tim Schafer.

It's probably the latter, but I can dream...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By The_Nubster

All of the meme-related humour in this game is awful, I'll give you that. But when it strikes out on its own, it generally hits pretty well. Butt Stallion and Claptrap's line about tone of voice and depression are hilarious, but bullet to the knee, (no)mad, stuff along those lines are not great.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#76  Edited By Dagbiker

I think its intresting that the OP has several posts refrencing 4chan, including

Even 4chan loves Brad.(Also posted this in the other thread)

And 2 Images from 4chan. http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/familyphotoshoot/images/

Perhaps he is a self hater? Or perhaps he is trolling? I don't know...

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By OneManX

I'm in the boat, that it does it on purpose. Like some of that stuff can get a good laugh out of me, but it's played up in such a dumb and pass over way. The Boner-Fart line was a pretty good line in context of the mission it happens, it doesnt work brought up by itself.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I like it.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By stryker1121

@ozzy369123 said:

So what, I didn't buy borderlands because I was looking for a game that would blow me away with its comedic writing and rich humor. I bought the game because shooting and looting is pretty fucking great.

I'm not a fan of Internet humor or memes or any of that crap, but I can deal w/ a few U, mad bros for some sweet tasty loot and stuff blowing up real good. (Although is there really a "bullet to the knee" joke? That wasn't funny when it was popular. "Fucking meme garbage" indeed)

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I like the none referential stuff. I felt the opposite of Jeff with Butt Stalion. I hate the terms but loved the context in which it was used.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. It isn't very funny. I usually throw on a podcast when I play.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By Tennmuerti

There is a quite a lot that misses the mark. But equally i find myself chuckling from time to time, there are quite a few hidden gems of hilarity if you look for them. Frequently the more subtle stuff is funnier. Except Claptrap he's hilarious with absolutely hamfisted brutality of his humour approach.

The only truly awful grating stuff i find is Handsome Jack.

It's all highly subjective anyway.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Nottle

Doesn't bother me much. It's humor so if it falls flat i still can find it funny.

Also what else are they supposed to do with the challenge names, its either references or puns. Take your pick.

Also I'm never one to be annoyed by a character. Name an annoying character and I probably don't find them annoying.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By RE_Player1

I've been laughing a lot. I think Handsome Jack is the best part.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Hunkulese

You're not a fan of bonerfarts?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By eroticfishcake

This was pretty much the biggest problem I had with the first game. I suppose when you prop up your game as some sort of colourful and humorous game you kind of have these expectations about the writing. Unfortunately it's so incredibly flat you just kind of tune it out. This seems like more or less the same really. The characters and story seems a little bit more fleshed out but ultimately it feels really hollow to me. Not that it's offensively bad, it's just trying way too hard sometimes.

TheStimpinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TheStimpinator

@Silvergun said:

It's unreasonable for a game with this many jokes to hit 100% of the time. Yeah, the memes are dumb, but they're also just a very small part of the overall humor offered. If you don't find stuff like the mission where Tanis sends you to hunt down the metaphorical Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles funny, then maybe you should stick to the New Yorker or Wes Anderson movies or something.

boom roasted

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@Scooper said

No Caption Provided

I think your post doesn't suit. He's not being a badass at all. Just merely expressing his opinion without giving examples about why. He's told us why (without examples) but he ain't being a badass about it. You've just been wanting to post that pic for a long time haven't you. Its like the guy that wants to do the slow clap in Not Another Teen Movie.

You picked the wrong time, sorry.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I'm enjoying the humor more than i thought i would, like Jeff said in the quicklook the peripheral stuff is the funniest and it gets me to smile at least.

Can't really stand Handsome Jack, but i think they wanted me to feel that way.

Also Claptrap has the heaviest drops

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By coaxmetal

@wewantsthering said:

@Riboflavin said:

YOUR ATROCIOUS

His atrocious what?

It took way longer than I thought it would for someone to say that. Anyway, congrats.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Spoonman671

I've gotten a few laughs out of it.  Maybe you should loosen the fuck up and not take stupid jokes in a video game so seriously?  Or just play on mute.  Whatevs.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Duke Nukem Forever has tired and dated jokes, everyone bitches.

Borderlands 2 has tired and dated jokes, everyone says people don't have a sense of a humor if they don't like it.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By andrew2696

Humor is so subjective. I find Tim and Eric to be not my thing, but a lot of people love it. And that's fine. Just go to the things you find funny or ignore it.

Personally I do find myself laughing at the jokes in Borderlands 2. I realize a lot of people will find it immature but I think it works. Even when I don't think the word Bonerfarts is funny, Hammerlock's frustration is funny to me.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By WasabiCurry

Don't take it seriously? Like many other stated before, it is a lighthearted, dumb game. A game about SHOTHING and LOTHING! With friends of course. :3

Anyways, maybe you should try Faster than Light; it is a rouge-like game that is quite fun! Max Payne, Deus Ex (may be Human Revolution too), Lone Survivor, Limbo, The Witcher 2, and Spec Ops. Good games with a serious plot line. So yeah, there is like an abundance of "serious" games. Why were you expecting something serious from Borderlands? Assuming if you played the first one....

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By AssInAss

It's pretty fucking hard to have comedy be consistently good for a 30+ hour game. I haven't played the second game yet, but in the first game I would just laugh because of the psychos' chatter and of course Claptrap. There's not enough writing in that game, so if there's more in the sequel I'm game for it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @McGhee

@familyphotoshoot: Why so serious? Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

Can we maybe go on a date later?
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've found this game to be pretty damn hilarious so far. You can't expect every joke to land, but most of the character and enemy dialogue is fantastic, and a lot of the little sight gags around the environment are great. Memes and pop-culture references are far from all this game has to offer in terms of comedy, and even that stuff is mostly good for a light chuckle if you don't take it so seriously, ya know, like the way it was intended.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#98  Edited By granderojo

1. I find that in a lot of ways, Borderlands 2 mimics what is going on in Darksiders 2 in that it feels like a game conceived in the mind of a 12 year old. The only character I haven't wanted to bludgeon to death is Tannis.

2. Despite all of this, I get a shit eating grin everytime I go gunzerking with my gunzerker and he starts fucking humming In the Halls of the Mountain King. Really it's a throw away thing but I don't know it gets me every single time.

I think what Jeff said about the edges being funny was spot on, the core dialog is just fucking terrible, and there is A LOT of it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By McGhee

@MariachiMacabre said:

@McGhee

@familyphotoshoot: Why so serious? Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

Can we maybe go on a date later?

I don't know. Are you easy?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By stryker1121

I've yet to play the game yet, but it sounds like the "offense" is coming from a few dick jokes and leet speak/meme crap for the challenge names? I'll deal. I don't remember finding the first game that funny (Claptrap was grating in particular) but w/ so many games these days carrying a serious tone, I'm willing to give BL2's humor a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.