Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

The "humor" in this game is atrocious

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Kidavenger said:

That's disappointing to hear, the guy that wrote it probably has the funniest web series on the internet. Wonder what went wrong...

Really? My girlfriend likes those videos but I don't think they're funny at all.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#102  Edited By Sooperspy

I think its pretty funny. Claptrap especially has been really funny so far. I guess I'll see how much I like it when I really play a lot more of it.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#103  Edited By hollitz

Not surprising. The lead writer it is a former Destructoid editor. My abject hatred for him is going to prevent me from ever playing this game.

I still may get around to Borderlands 1 someday, but I played about 15 mins of it and kinda didn't care anymore.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @McGhee

@MariachiMacabre said:

@McGhee

@familyphotoshoot: Why so serious? Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

Can we maybe go on a date later?

I don't know. Are you easy?

Pathetically so. I just threw my non-gay self at a dude on the Internet for making a joke.
    zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By zaccheus

I have just been playing for few hours but I think the humor is pretty good. It definitely doesn't hit all the time, but that can be said about most things. I do agree though that the challenge names are just plain bad.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Zajtalan

I feel you op, fuck borderlands 2. take it ease with the memes fuckin shit!!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#107  Edited By MEATBALL

I've found it humourous multiple times so far, but it's hit and miss for sure. That doesn't really bother me to be honest. Making an arrow to the knee joke is totally the worst, though. :P

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SavageManLove

Every character seems to have this record scratch type of humor where they rant about something, do a quick stop and then deliver a "funny" line. Blah blah blah ..."oh by the way I want to kill you" MRRRPPP FUNNY LINE etc (I kind of made that up but you get the point). Kinda like how you see trailers for comedy movies. I think it's just one of those thing that by having to do so much volume it becomes very hit and miss. I think Claptrap and Scooter/Ellie are my favorite of the bunch so far. I agree with Jeff that I'm at a point where I just want the main bad guy to shut up.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By ProfessorK

Seriously, it's ironic humor, I mean c'mon now the "I herd u liek" and 1337 stuff has long been done to death. And you know what, still makes me grin.

ScoreSetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#110  Edited By ScoreSetter

@sixpin: I want to do all those things AND play some Borderlands. Question: Is there a joke based on Elizabeth Bennet & Mr Darcy in Borderlands 2?

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By sixpin

@ScoreSetter: I haven't gotten that far yet, but that would be pretty great. I'm partial to Carson myself, but I'm not sure where you could go with a joke about him. Perhaps something about his time in theater.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Hitchenson

@Brodehouse said:

I don't mind the dumb sophmoric humor.

But that said; I'm really put off by how cavalier the game treats torture. They treat it like this amusing thing, like Three Stooges why-you-knucklehead comedy, instead of the most horrific and brutal thing a living being can ever suffer. The early Captain Flynt part... "At the sound of Heaton screaming for his life, it'll be 2:30" "WHY OH GOD WHY?!" "Next scheduled broadcast at 2:35" ... HAHAHA ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT SOMEONE IS BEING PUT THROUGH PERPETUAL MORTAL AGONY?! ISN'T IT FUCKING HYSTERICAL?! Every time it shows torture as this amusing aside (Dr. Zed repeatedly fucking with that strapped down patient) it makes me grind my teeth.

One of the funniest posts I've read in a while.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Arker101

Well, I think it is pretty funny. The challenges aren't LOL funny, sure, but they get a smirk out of me occasionally.

Also Butt Stallion.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By coakroach

It's not good, but i'd say atrocious is overstating it a bit.

I intend to play most of the game with the audio down and listening to music/bombcasts anyway.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By leftie68

You guys can't honestly think that the writers purposefully put these meme moments in the game because, on a stand alone basis, they were funny? Take it for what it is, a comment on internet humor. I chuckled not because I still thinks these jokes are funny, but given the context, how ridiculous they are, and isn't that the whole damn point of Borderlands 2? Ridiculousness! The originally written dialogue can be hit or miss, but the funny moments can be great.

I also love how they treated Handsome Jack (come on! his name is Handsome Jack). No he is not all that funny, he is starting to become very annoying, and all I want to do is run my gun down his throat and pull the trigger to shut him up... but isn't that the point? To want to punch this douche in the face?

Seriously, I just don't think some people "get it", and if you don't or don't care for the ridiculous nature of the game that is A-OK, absolutely fine. But don't dissect the humor,say it is horrible, and then walk away without putting it in context of what the game is...an utterly ridiculous FPS RPG, set in an utterly ridiculous world.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#116  Edited By megalowho

Rock Paper Shotgun described it best, that every character and bit of expositional dialogue sits somewhere on the "sassy/wacky axis." It wasn't a strong point of Borderlands 1 and I find myself liking the universe of Borderlands 2 less and less the more people open their mouths.

The game is really into it's humor too, which in turn makes it less funny. Not to say that every single line misses, but it's like they were so afraid of having dry quest text that players might skip over they kept reaching for the sassy/wacky knob as a reflex. At least they're tonally consistent in their approach - they've definitely established a specific Borderlands voice, for better or worse.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Having played the game for a couple of hours I can tell you that...well, it's Borderlands. It's Diablo meets FPS meets Saints Row The Third (to a much lesser extent). Over the top is the name of the game, I think most of us knew that going in. And there are some really awesome characters in the game.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By EthanielRain

I could go without the internet stuff, but the game still has a great sense of humor to me. Things like "I'm going to teleport you to the bandit's lair, it will be deadly so be ready.......I just teleported you like 10 feet right?". And the references, like Bandits quoting Bob Knight.

Good stuff.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Silvergun

@leftie68 said:

I also love how they treated Handsome Jack (come on! his name is Handsome Jack). No he is not all that funny, he is starting to become very annoying, and all I want to do is run my gun down his throat and pull the trigger to shut him up... but isn't that the point? To want to punch this douche in the face?

Later in the game, you can get a couple missions from him, and both are hilarious. The first one has you checking in on his little old Granny who he built a cottage for in the nightmarish Eridium Wastes. He gets terribly concerned when it turns out there are bandits there, but when you find out that sure enough, they murdered her, you find out Jack actually sent the bandits to kill her, then sent you to kill them so he wouldn't have to pay them! In another one, he straight up offers to pay you to hurl yourself off a cliff (with an option to instead call the Hyperion suicide prevention line instead!).

He's basically Snidely Whiplash, turned up to 11, and really is the villain that Borderlands 2 deserves.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Deusx

I agree with you, the humour in this game is horrible. If you like it you must browse reddit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Silvergun said:

Maybe you should stick to the New Yorker or Wes Anderson movies or something.

I enjoyed that put-down immensely.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Turambar

I disagree, and am better off for it. Sucks to hear you're not enjoying the game.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I have never seen any gameplay of Borderlands that looked anything other than mind numbingly boring sooo.... shitty internet humor sounds about right?

wyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By wyld

Guns don't joke

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Solh0und

Some of the jokes are hit and miss. Least the humor is better in this game than a certain game that Gearbox revived last year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b463a5162604
    deactivated-5b463a5162604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why come up with jokes when you can stick a so funny xD meme on the end of everything?

Avatar image for wickedslapshot3
    Wickedslapshot3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Wickedslapshot3

Yeah...well, that's just like your opinion, man.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ViciousReiven

The writing is like half the reason I love Borderlands. 

Also if you can't enjoy Borderlands' humor how could you possibly enjoy GiantBomb?  
    Along with CAH we're all a big circle-jerk of immaturity. 

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#129  Edited By DarkShaper

I haven't played the second one yet but I just finished Borderlands one yesterday and that sounds about right. The first Borderlands had a few funny moments but most of the time it just fell flat to me.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Live2bRighteous

@ViciousReiven:

Because giant bomb doesn't spew out 60 year old memes.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @Live2bRighteous said:

@ViciousReiven:

Because giant bomb doesn't spew out 60 year old memes.

Neither does Borderlands, there's a difference between having a bit of dialogue here or there referencing something and 'spewing'.  
    In fact in 10 hours I haven't seen a single recognizable 'meme' and the only one I know is certainly in there is the arrow to the knee thing, like by a random NPC that's not even mission related.  
    (this is not counting random bits of challenge rank dialogue that I never read anyway)
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#132  Edited By StarFoxA

@familyphotoshoot: That looks a lot like the first game's challenges...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#133  Edited By Dagbiker

I agree with the guy who said it was a commentary because there are some parts that are too self aware. Also a lot of it feels like its put together by some really smart guys. Namely finding claptrap in sanctuary.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By Vonocourt

@ViciousReiven said:

Neither does Borderlands, there's a difference between having a bit of dialogue here or there referencing something and 'spewing'. In fact in 10 hours I haven't seen a single recognizable 'meme' and the only one I know is certainly in there is the arrow to the knee thing, like by a random NPC that's not even mission related. (this is not counting random bits of challenge rank dialogue that I never read anyway)

Well...people are counting those. The world doesn't just disappear when you close your eyes.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Marcsman

I like to think of myself as a 12 year old trapped in a man's body. So I find it funny.

arjybarjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By arjybarjy

@AhmadMetallic said:

@louiedog said:

You may as well be some old man yelling at a cloud.

That gave me a good laugh!

This has been the best part of the thread.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#137  Edited By Humanity

@ShadowConqueror: They used to be funny at times but have since seriously went downhill.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ShaggE

Crikey, people. He was unnecessarily harsh, but that's no reason to insult him for pages on end. I've laughed multiple times through the game so far (Claptrap's birthday mission, anybody?) but it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Kessler has been tweeting examples of the game's humor since it came out and it all sounds exactly like what the OP described. The kinda shit a 12 year old hooked on 4chan would spout endlessly.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By j3ffro919

@PeasantAbuse said:

"Dook Hut - No Fapping!" makes me lol every time.

Yup. It ain't Shakespeare, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#141  Edited By Yanngc33

The humor is good by gaming standards. Compared to other media, yeah it's not great

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#142  Edited By jakob187

Butt stallion.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By RandomHero666

lighten up, Borderlands 1 was exactly the same, full of dumb shit and vague references, poking fun at stuff.

Question: If Borderlands 2 wasn't funny, if it was serious in every way.. why would anyone play it?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#144  Edited By huntad

I've been pretty irritated and bored with Borderlands 2. I just started noticing that the game almost never shuts up. Normally I'm totally okay, and welcome, lots of dialog but it's just banter. Sometimes I feel that they weren't comfortable with quiet moments. My biggest complaint though, isn't in the sound department. I just don't find the shooting or the quests much fun anymore. I'm about 5 or 6 hours in and extremely bored.

I only got this far in because the game was universally praised, and felt I should give it more of a chance than I wanted to. I guess this more of a problem with how I view games and what I find fun. I had the same problem with Borderlands 1. Oh well, just thought I'd throw this out there.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#145  Edited By laussica

60 percent of things jokes are alright, but some of them are just stupid. Seriously bonerfarts? But I'm loving claptrap, he is a lot more funny in this game, but yeah when they start referencing really old memes it's pretty embarrassing and makes the writing seem a bit cheap, which is too bad because I'm enjoying most of it.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#146  Edited By Vorbis

I'm yet to encounter any "memes" and I'm 10 hours in, it's pretty funny in spots.

However the irony of the Giantbomb community complaining about memes is much funnier.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Kidavenger:

If you take your opinion about "Hey Ash" and reverse it, you have my thought on the matter. I'm just gonna put the sentence, lowest common denominator in here too.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ozzdog12

@familyphotoshoot: You would hate Shadows of the Damned then, It super immature, but super funny

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#149  Edited By ajamafalous
    @SomeDeliCook said:

Duke Nukem Forever has tired and dated jokes, everyone bitches.

Borderlands 2 has tired and dated jokes, everyone says people don't have a sense of a humor if they don't like it.

Most telling post in the thread, really.
    EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By EvilKatarn

From what I've seen of it, the humor does seem absolutely dreadful referencial crap. Claptrap's original dialogue doesn't seem all that clever either.

Maybe I just hate Borderlands.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.