The weapon design in this game is amazing!

#1 Posted by Sanity (1905 posts) -

I gotta say they really pulled out all the stops with there guns this time around, they made the guns in the first game seem like uninteresting garbage. I have a bit of a addiction with collecting guns in real life so its really no wonder that the series appeals to me, but man did they ever out do themselves. In all the footage iv seen very little repeated or sameish looking guns, yes im sure we will see a lot of the same style of things over time but just the sheer variety of unique designs is insane.

I like the outlandish designs but what really caught me off guard is how some of the guns draw lots of comparison to real world weapon design. In one of the videos iv watched i saw a charging handle that was basically the same exact thing as in a ar-15 or m16. Plus theirs AR and AK style mags in tons of the designs. I realize if i want my realistic fix i can go play some counter strike (or just go to the range) but its nice to see them go nuts with some of the most successful designs in history.

My favorite part though is the colors they used, the weapons of borderlands got boring quick for me because they all had the same couple colors. Thankfully that seems to be fixed here and im just bursting at the seams to see what else is in the game. I think this might be a strong contender for GOTY if they nail the loot hunt and have a good story to back it up. Lets all keep our fingers crossed, 2 weeks from release!

#2 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

I can't wait to get this game. Its coming out on my birthday which is aswome for me.

#3 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@falserelic said:

I can't wait to get this game. Its coming out on my birthday which is aswome for me.

BEST DAMN BIRTHDAY RELEASE EVER YOU LUCKY DOG! That's awesome!

#4 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@dudy80: Just from the videos they've posted and reading some of the info that has come out thus far the game's story looks pretty good. Much improved from the first game. The guns did get a huge overhaul which is going to be so damn good I can't imagine the loot system going wrong! I'm stoked for the release as well and I don't think Gearbox is going to disappoint! They made a damn good game the first time around and they listened to the feedback from players and fixed things the fans wanted to see and things they believed could have been improved upon from the first game. I really can't wait. This game is going to go balls out and be an amazing experience for the loyal fans.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

My body has been ready for this months ago. We're so close...

#6 Posted by Sanity (1905 posts) -

Yea, im actually going back and playing through borderlands again to tide me over, my only real concern is that they ported the game well to pc. Which it sounds like they have, im a bit pissed off they decided to support the gimmick that is PhysX but i imagine that nividia paid them something for it so i suppose thats alright.

#7 Posted by Vinny_Says (5704 posts) -

any xbox playaz message me on the 14th if you want to play some co-op. GT: dHAWXb

#8 Posted by BoFooQ (672 posts) -

I sort wish there was a directory somewhere with all the different guns so you could look through them and than look for ones that were badass. I loved borderlands, but I found myself using a small amount of guns, I would often only switch to try out new things briefly or to raise skill in didn't types of guns. Sometimes it would nice to know there is always something better out there. I have been replaying the first one and I hardly even bother looking for guns anyone cause I don't think I found anything better than what I have in a long time.

Don't get me wrong can't wait for new borderlands

#9 Edited by Sanity (1905 posts) -

@BoFooQ said:

I sort wish there was a directory somewhere with all the different guns so you could look through them and than look for ones that were badass. I loved borderlands, but I found myself using a small amount of guns, I would often only switch to try out new things briefly or to raise skill in didn't types of guns. Sometimes it would nice to know there is always something better out there. I have been replaying the first one and I hardly even bother looking for guns anyone cause I don't think I found anything better than what I have in a long time.

Don't get me wrong can't wait for new borderlands

Yea, the gun hunt really dont come into play until after your second playthrough, once you finish that plus the knox dlc you can do armory and craw runs. Look up a crawmerax kill on youtube and watch the insane amount of loot that poors out of him.

#10 Posted by MachoFantastico (4679 posts) -

Very happy they have spliced up the designs a bit, they actually look unique now, always felt they were sort of the same in Borderlands.

#11 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (142 posts) -

I'm interested to see how varied the weapons become when you use Euridium on them. Apparently snipers turn into rail guns, SMGs into plasma rifles and rocket launchers into BMGs. I hope its just as randomized as the regular weapons in terms of looks and theres not just an upgraded barrel/body switched out or something. I can see people grinding for legendaries and then augment them with Euridium.

#12 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3720 posts) -

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

I'm interested to see how varied the weapons become when you use Euridium on them. Apparently snipers turn into rail guns, SMGs into plasma rifles and rocket launchers into BMGs. I hope its just as randomized as the regular weapons in terms of looks and theres not just an upgraded barrel/body switched out or something. I can see people grinding for legendaries and then augment them with Euridium.

Apparently a phrase such as "when weapons are enhanced with Eridium" confused quite a few people. It's been confirmed by a developer that you cannot just pick a weapon and then decide to use Eridium on it. You find weapons that are already enhanced with Eridium.

#13 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (142 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

Apparently a phrase such as "when weapons are enhanced with Eridium" confused quite a few people. It's been confirmed by a developer that you cannot just pick a weapon and then decide to use Eridium on it. You find weapons that are already enhanced with Eridium.

Oh really? That's a shame. I could have sworn I heard something about upgrading them. I was looking forward to that system. Oh well. Looks nuts all the same.

#14 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3720 posts) -

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

Oh really? That's a shame. I could have sworn I heard something about upgrading them. I was looking forward to that system. Oh well. Looks nuts all the same.

The good news about this is that you won't be able to just slap awesomeness on any weapon you find, making finding Eridium weapons a somewhat rare and special event. The other good news is that you won't find a gun, spend most of your Eridium on it, and then find an even better gun 10 minutes later.

#15 Posted by Sanity (1905 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@ThatPrimeGuy said:

The good news about this is that you won't be able to just slap awesomeness on any weapon you find, making finding Eridium weapons a somewhat rare and special event. The other good news is that you won't find a gun, spend most of your Eridium on it, and then find an even better gun 10 minutes later.

I agree as otherwise people would just slap these effects on everything as you said. I just hope its a fairly rare thing.

#16 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

I agree with you. I hope it's a bit of a rare thing. I did the pre-order so you get the "relic" I just wonder if that's really going to help much either though. It would be nice to think that if you're playing with a group of 3 other people who have them too that you'd find some nice gear but we'll just have to wait and see with that too I guess.

#17 Posted by Tennmuerti (8090 posts) -

@BoFooQ: The problem with a directory is the nature of guns themselves in Borderlands, considering they are all generated with parts, the amount of permutations is insane and also kind of pointless to catalogue. Just ball parking but each gun can have like 5 different barrels, 5 different scopes, magazines, stocks, grips etc, and this is just the base parts for everyone there are many more; this is not to mention that their base body is just a level based scaled type anyway, plus a whole other bunch of custom effects and mods. There are in fact millions of guns.

The only things that makes sense to catalogue are the unique boss/quest drops; unique effects with their own description; effects of various gun parts. Which is what people did catalogue for the original Borderlands. It's exactly like cataloguing Diablo 2-3 gear. Only done for important stuff.

But rest assured there is always a better gun. (unless you're max leveled and either farmed the shit out of endgame content or just modded in the best legit guns heh).

#18 Posted by MentalDisruption (1632 posts) -

Agreed that the new designs look great. I'll probably end up inspecting every weapon I pick up for about five minutes just to enjoy its looks.

#19 Posted by Slither_Maggot (223 posts) -

@MentalDisruption: Is it sad that I'll probably end up doing the same thing?

#20 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (142 posts) -

The Metal Gear Solid 3/4 style model viewer is probably one of the best ideas to add into this game. I'll be doing that a lot.

#21 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Borderlands makes me forgive Gearbox for Duke Nukem Forever.

#22 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -
#23 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

@joachimo said:

@dudy80: http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter/?x

That was so awesome... But it's also a bit sad that those things, that should be considered basic, are something you can actually brag about

#24 Edited by Applederp (116 posts) -

They even named a weapon after Dave: http://i.imgur.com/fh4qG.jpg

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.