Tiny Tina sucks.

#1 Posted by VooDooPC (313 posts) -

Tiny Tina is the crappiest character I've come across in the Borderlands universe, by far. The writing and the voice acting for this character are just bad. Her writing is like a cross between a pimp and a five year old throwing tantrums, then for no reason she make tons of sexual references like "flesh-stick" and "Sexopants". Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

"These FIIIINE ass womens could stop that train for you but I'ma need their badonkadonks first."

"Oh daaaaayum, you lookin' good ladies"

It's SO bad.

#2 Posted by Hokucho (74 posts) -

I personally love T.T.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Thats what you get when your brother writes your lines. And then gets you a job.

#4 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Not my favorite character, but I see what they were going for. Doesn't bug me.

#5 Posted by Nev (540 posts) -

I don't mind her.

#6 Edited by Maajin (1052 posts) -

@VooDooPC said:

Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

Yep, that pretty much defines Ashly Burch.

(I think this interview is one of the greatest things to ever be uploaded on the internet, by the way.)

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14589 posts) -

I bet she does YA KNOW WHAT i'M SAYING. Okay, I'll leave now.

#8 Edited by Akyho (1586 posts) -

That is the joke..........also helps if your a fan of Hey Ash Watcha Playin.

The two people responsible for what you dont like.

#9 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I haven't played BL2 but I think HAWP is really lame

#10 Posted by BigDaddy81 (319 posts) -

I hate this site more and more with each passing day.

#11 Posted by BisonHero (6237 posts) -

@Akyho: I really don't understand how they get their dad to agree to do the things that they ask. What a champ.

#12 Edited by Akyho (1586 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Akyho: I really don't understand how they get their dad to agree to do the things that they ask. What a champ.

I dont think they ask him. I think he just does it, then they film a video around what he does. Anthony dosnt write anything. He just filmed his father for all of Borderlands 2. Then had guys make it.

#13 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I give up pointing out things that aren't funny in Borderlands 2. It really doesn't matter anymore. It's just how Borderlands 2 is.

I know it's hard, but we should all just get over it.

#14 Edited by Akyho (1586 posts) -

@huntad said:

I give up pointing out things that aren't funny in Borderlands 2. It really doesn't matter anymore. It's just how Borderlands 2 is.

I know it's hard, but we should all just get over it.

I haven't played BL2 and I am not going to defend the humor. However enough people have complained the same as. I am just going to say the humor is bad...that's the funny thing. People give examples of bad humor in BL2 and I laugh because its bad on purpose.

So yeah that is simply how BL2 is. You like it or you dont. Dont get too invested in it since Huntad has learned. That is the entire game.

#15 Posted by VooDooPC (313 posts) -

It's not that I don't think it's not funny, it's that I think it's just bad.

I don't like South Park, but I see how people can think it's funny but Tiny Tina as a character is just poorly written and poorly acted.

I was also unaware that it was people from the internet writing her character and doing the voice acting, that might explain part of it...

#16 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@BisonHero said:

I dont think they ask him. I think he just does it, then they film a video around what he does. Anthony dosnt write anything. He just filmed his father for all of Borderlands. Then had guys make it.

I don't know if you're joking, but that's not what they do at all. It's actually an inside joke how their father is the total opposite of the character in the show and what a bad actor he is, sometimes taking hours to get a line right.

I guess I'm the opposite of most of Giant Bomb users: I couldn't care less for Borderlands 2, but freaking love HAWP and their podcast. Also, I think they've gotten better, the Quantum Conundrum and Game of Thrones episodes are both fantastic.

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (11871 posts) -
@BigDaddy81 said:

I hate this site more and more with each passing day.

Because someone has an opinion different from yours?
#18 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

I have a friend that talks like that all the time, so I found Tiny Tina quite funny.

#19 Posted by Akyho (1586 posts) -

@Maajin said:

@Akyho said:

I dont think they ask him. I think he just does it, then they film a video around what he does. Anthony dosnt write anything. He just filmed his father for all of Borderlands. Then had guys make it.

I don't know if you're joking, but that's not what they do at all. It's actually an inside joke how their father is the total opposite of the character in the show and what a bad actor he is, sometimes taking hours to get a line right.

I guess I'm the opposite of most of Giant Bomb users: I couldn't care less for Borderlands 2, but freaking love HAWP and their podcast. Also, I think they've gotten better, the Quantum Conundrum and Game of Thrones episodes are both fantastic.

I think the concept that Borderlands 2 is made by just filming an old man in his every day life, shows it is a joke.

#20 Edited by BisonHero (6237 posts) -

@Maajin said:

I'm actually with you. I'm a huge fan of HAWP and think Anthony and Ash have really interesting things to say about gaming on the podcast and in their other writing, but I just can't get interested in Borderlands 2 even a little bit. Borderlands 1 completely burned me out on the idea, and despite the fact that I have 5 Steam friends who have been playing Borderlands 2 all week, I just have no interest in the game.

Also, the podcast has been less interesting as of late, because there's just too many people on it. I was fine with Justin and Blavis being added, because they don't say much and still let Anthony and Ash lead the discussion. Grant and Uly just seem excessive, especially when Grant is so outgoing that the discussion tends to revolve around him unless Anthony or Ashly really think of a discussion topic that they put their foot down on. Also Grant and Uly are only barely related to the webseries. It ends up feeling like Grant Storytime Hour most of the time. Admittedly, because of this, I've actually fallen several months behind on that podcast, so for all I know maybe the last couple podcasts have been awesome.

I miss when the podcast was deeply personal discussions between Anthony and Ash about gaming and fiction and life in general. That Choco Taco story, man.

#21 Posted by wemibelec90 (1564 posts) -

I like the voice but hate the dialogue. It occasionally comes through with a good line (or is so ridiculous I can't help but laugh) but most of it just feels forced and annoys me.

#22 Edited by FoolishChaos (432 posts) -

Why did you buy BL2 if you knew you were burned on the formula? Its been pretty well established that the game is more of the same.

That's why I bought it.

edit: Disregard, confused who was talking

#23 Posted by Ares42 (2591 posts) -

I hadn't really put my finger on what my issue with her was, but watching that HAWP clip it became pretty obvious. She's just so overplayed. It's like that youtube guy that was so popular a few years back. Fred or something ? To me comedy is about subtlety, not "HEY, THIS IS REALLY FUNNY GUYS!"

#24 Edited by Maajin (1052 posts) -

@BisonHero: I agree, and you probably didn't miss much. Perhaps because of their newfound success in the videogame industry (Ashly is apparently doing something at Valve?), the podcasts have been pretty scarce lately. And yeah, it's been a while since the last good, meaningful conversation about touchy or personal subjects, or even insights on the making of the episodes.

@Akyho said:

I think the concept that Borderlands 2 is made by just filming an old man in his every day life, shows it is a joke.

Yeah, I got that part. I was referring to using that concept for the show. =)

#25 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

the weirdest part about tiny tina is her model is literally taller than mine (gunzerker)

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

I think BL2 is plenty funny. I am sorry my friends and I are having so much more fun than everyone else.

Actually I'm not really sorry. Suckas!

#27 Posted by Mitch0712 (453 posts) -

@VooDooPC said:

Tiny Tina is the crappiest character I've come across in the Borderlands universe, by far. The writing and the voice acting for this character are just bad. Her writing is like a cross between a pimp and a five year old throwing tantrums, then for no reason she make tons of sexual references like "flesh-stick" and "Sexopants". Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

"These FIIIINE ass womens could stop that train for you but I'ma need their badonkadonks first."

It's SO bad.

All these reasons are why I love the character!

#28 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

I didn't mind the way she was acted, I mean, it's supposed to be a socially damaged 13 year old girl, so the goofiness and annoying energetic attitude made sense for the character. However, I fucking hated the dialogue. It wasn't funny at all, it was all really laming and trying wayyyyyyy too hard.

I thought Ellie was also really annoying, couldn't wait for them to stop talking.

#29 Posted by BigDaddy81 (319 posts) -

@ajamafalous: It's more because of this prevailing attitude around here that if something wasn't written or spoken by the Great Jeff Gerstmann and Co. then it can't be funny and must be derided as much as possible.

I have been witnessing this for some time now and it only seems to be getting worse. I could handle it if it was just the community doing this but it seems the GB crew are also guilty of lambasting things like this. Yes, internet humor and memes tend to be pretty dumb and immature, but so is Giant Bomb's humor. God forbid someone tries to inject a 30 to 60 hour long game with some humor and miss a few jokes here and there!

In all honesty, I just think this site is evolving into something I don't want to be a part of anymore. I don't even know why I'm bothering to write all of this. People getting angry and leaving is nothing new to forums, but this was the first site I really wanted to be a part of. I'm more depressed than angry I guess. Now I'm rambling. Gonna take a nap.

#30 Posted by stryker1121 (1358 posts) -

Haven't gotten to TT yet but BL2 has provided a few good laughs in the first few hours. More so the text stuff than the dialogue, but whatever. This is about the third or fourth thread complaining about the game's humor and frankly the subject is already old.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

@ajamafalous: It's more because of this prevailing attitude around here that if something wasn't written or spoken by the Great Jeff Gerstmann and Co. then it can't be funny and must be derided as much as possible.

I have been witnessing this for some time now and it only seems to be getting worse. I could handle it if it was just the community doing this but it seems the GB crew are also guilty of lambasting things like this. Yes, internet humor and memes tend to be pretty dumb and immature, but so is Giant Bomb's humor. God forbid someone tries to inject a 30 to 60 hour long game with some humor and miss a few jokes here and there!

In all honesty, I just think this site is evolving into something I don't want to be a part of anymore. I don't even know why I'm bothering to write all of this. People getting angry and leaving is nothing new to forums, but this was the first site I really wanted to be a part of. I'm more depressed than angry I guess. Now I'm rambling. Gonna take a nap.

So a single guy posts a thread about not liking a single character in a single game, and you go off the charts. Sounds reasonable.

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8013 posts) -

I actually liked her character a lot, as a character. You also get some backstory later on on how she came to be this way.

Didn't necessarily find her lines by themselves funny. But enjoyed the mannerisms and unique values/perception that character has overall.

#33 Edited by AngriGhandi (762 posts) -

I didn't know the Burcheses had a podcast! I might have to get in on that. I burned out pretty hard on MBMBaM last year, but maybe this sibling-based tangentially-related-to-videogames podcast will be the one I was looking for.

On topic, I think Borderlands 2 is sometimes funny. But a lot of comedy is timing, and it's hard to be funny when almost all of your comedy is delivered via loose, vaguely area-triggered radio messages that play one at a time and often cut each other off or don't quite play properly. Either that or delivered in-person, via a character model cycling through a single talking animation over and over again while speaking sort-of in your general direction. Certainly not with much sense of timing. So I give the writing a pretty generous handicap, considering what it's dealing with.

Still, I think Lilith's stuff is really well done. And there's a lot of it! The other "former-Vault-Hunters" seem almost irrelevant compared to how much they did with her character.

#34 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

How shocking that this thread shows up after Jeff says the same thing. I don't care for the character, but the whole thing makes me think of a good chunk of this community doing whatever Jeff thinks without a moment's hesitation.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -
@Dagbiker Isn't this, like, the billionth thread on GB about how BL2 isn't funny? I'm pretty sure I saw like 999,999,999 of them pop up this week.

@BigDaddy81 I hear ya, the haters are getting louder and prouder, but don't let that get you down. If you're having fun then fuck everyone else. /highfive
#36 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

So a single guy posts a thread about not liking a single character in a single game, and you go off the charts. Sounds reasonable.

You are missing the part where he said he has been witnessing it for some time. Not that I agree with him, but he is not talking about a single user or post.

#37 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

@dragonzord said:

How shocking that this thread shows up after Jeff says the same thing. I don't care for the character, but the whole thing makes me think of a good chunk of this community doing whatever Jeff thinks without a moment's hesitation.

I can't speak for the guy who created the thread, but I think you are giving Jeff too much credit here. I for one know that every time Tina or Ellie started talking I immediately wanted them to stop, and never found them funny. It made no difference to me that I eventually found out that Jeff felt similarly about Tina.

#38 Edited by myketuna (1655 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

@dragonzord said:

I can't speak for the guy who created the thread, but I think you are giving Jeff too much credit here. I for one know that every time Tina or Ellie started talking I immediately wanted them to stop, and never found them funny. It made no difference to me that I eventually found out that Jeff felt similarly about Tina.

I also don't like Tiny Tina and only later saw Jeff talk about not liking her. I don't hate her though. I find her annoying, but I understand why someone would find her amusing. Don't mind Ellie. Don't find her funny either, but she's just Ellie to me.

#39 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

I like the siblings Birch, so I enjoyed Tiny Tina's lines. They weren't "funny" in and of themselves, but the delivery was a lot of fun to listen to. Some of the more sexual lines were kind of uncomfortable, though, considering.

Now, Ellie, on the other hand... every single thing she says falls flat.

#40 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

A couple side quests got a little chuckle out of me. Generally the game's humor doesn't work for me. It's fun though, I can deal.

@dragonzord said:

So you think she's not funny regardless of Jeff's opinion but when other people think that way they're Jeff fanboys?

#41 Posted by John1912 (1833 posts) -

Lol I love Tina. Between the char art, animations, and the voice acting I thought it came off flawlessly. I think it was the voice acting that really pulled it all together.

#42 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

I just don't think borderlands is funny, at all. It's a great game but it is not funny.

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@StarvingGamer
I think BL2 is plenty funny. I am sorry my friends and I are having so much more fun than everyone else.

Actually I'm not really sorry. Suckas!
Seriously the hate train for every major release is getting crazy. Positivity is becoming a rarer site with each passing day. I really disliked BL because it was a chore in single player and I'm finding this one to be far more entertaining. And I personally like Tiny Tina. She's clearly meant to be an exaggeration and I think it works.
#44 Edited by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Seriously the hate train for every major release is getting crazy. Positivity is becoming a rarer site with each passing day.

I don't really see any "hate trains" going around. A lot of people in this thread have stated (and I will join them) in saying that BL2 is an awesome game. The game isn't perfect though, and people shouldn't be discouraged from speaking out about that. Sure there are always exceptions, but I think for the most part, a lot of legitimate criticisms of games gets blown off as "unjustified hate and negativity."

#45 Posted by ViciousReiven (820 posts) -

Tiny Tina is awesome and crumpets are crunk, nap time! zzzz

#46 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

I just found her super annoying even though I enjoy the writing in most of the rest of the game. She's just a one note character who's in and out of the game in an hour and a half.

#47 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@bushpusherr

@MariachiMacabre said:

Seriously the hate train for every major release is getting crazy. Positivity is becoming a rarer site with each passing day.

I don't really see any "hate trains" going around. A lot of people in this thread have stated (and I will join them) in saying that BL2 is an awesome game. The game isn't perfect though, and people shouldn't be discouraged from speaking out about that. Sure there are always exceptions, but I think for the most part, a lot of legitimate criticisms of games gets blown off as "unjustified hate and negativity."

It's not just BL2. It's been several of the major releases this year. The best example is the Mass Effect 3 bullshit that climaxed in death threats towards BioWare staffers. The video game community has a lot of growing up to do. It seems like the only things people ever pay attention to in games are the negatives. No matter how minuscule it's blown completely out of portion and reiterated with more threads than it ever warrants.
#48 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

@Mitch0712 said:

@VooDooPC said:

It's SO bad.

All these reasons are why I love the character!

I actually loved the cross between a pimp and a five year old throwing tantrums. The part for me that was weird was the explosive expert little girl with a wooden leg living on a redneck alien planet all by herself.

#49 Posted by TruthTellah (8573 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@bushpusherr

@MariachiMacabre said:

It's not just BL2. It's been several of the major releases this year. The best example is the Mass Effect 3 bullshit that climaxed in death threats towards BioWare staffers. The video game community has a lot of growing up to do. It seems like the only things people ever pay attention to in games are the negatives. No matter how minuscule it's blown completely out of portion and reiterated with more threads than it ever warrants.

There's been a lot of hate. And a lot of love. <3

#50 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@bushpusherr

@MariachiMacabre said:

I have gotten use to all the crazy shit that pops up when a big game comes out. But there is one thing that always annoys me and that is the "Am I the only one?" threads that pop up whenever a big game comes out. I don't know why but those damn things get on my nerves. I think Demon Souls and Dark Souls are boring shitty games with all the major refinements that have come along with modern games stripped out. To give it the illusion of being "hard". You don't see me writing a wall of text wondering what the hype is. Yeah I said it do something. Now excuse me while I go write a thread about how they need to make a Galaxy Quest 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.