Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Tiny Tina sucks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#151  Edited By Humanity

@jtman54179: I can only imagine the horror of redoing the quest in co op or NG+ and then choosing the opposite of your original choice - then equipping both shield and weapon in tandem.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#152  Edited By uberexplodey

I like Tina. The people in Sanctuary that are constantly KNOCKING, though...fuck them.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By zagzagovich

@Alphazero:

I haven't gotten to TT yet so I really have no say in the matter but that Top Gun mission was the worst reference I've seen in a video game yet. It's dated, lazy and goes on for way too long. The whole thing is so just half hearted. They use every quote from Top Gun with no context and voice it with a crazy voice. In general I find the characters to be way too chatty and too "coo coo crazy" to care about what they are saying. Over all I found the writing to be bizzare because I loved Anthony's articles and he was a pretty fun dude on podtoid. Nothing agaist the guy and the game, I'm enjoying it a lot and looking past most of the writing. I kind of with there was an option to make everyone speak less, fighting with bandits sometimes becomes too loud.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#154  Edited By Alphazero

@ZagZagovich said:

@Alphazero:

I haven't gotten to TT yet so I really have no say in the matter but that Top Gun mission was the worst reference I've seen in a video game yet. It's dated, lazy and goes on for way too long. The whole thing is so just half hearted. They use every quote from Top Gun with no context and voice it with a crazy voice. In general I find the characters to be way too chatty and too "coo coo crazy" to care about what they are saying. Over all I found the writing to be bizzare because I loved Anthony's articles and he was a pretty fun dude on podtoid. Nothing agaist the guy and the game, I'm enjoying it a lot and looking past most of the writing. I kind of with there was an option to make everyone speak less, fighting with bandits sometimes becomes too loud.

I agree about the dated and lazy, but then the punchline (which I won't spoil) totally killed me. I don't agree that that very last part was half-hearted at all. That had to involve all parts of the pipeline for a throw away joke. I loved it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#155  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@avidwriter said:

It seems you are taking Borderlands 2 seriously. You are doing it wrong.

Yeah it seems most of the "haters," for the lack of a better word, were expecting Portal caliber of comedy. It's just random jokes and quirks to entertain you as you roam the land blasting robots in the balls with fire shotguns, take it easy guys. It can be funny if you don't critique it.

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Yummylee said:

Now Sir Hammerlock... him and his complete and utter stereotypical ''Tally Ho'' generic English bullshit is awful.

But isn't that how all British English people talk?

"A lot of things need shooting and by god you're the man to shoot them" He's hilarious!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#156  Edited By MrKlorox

Wow... they actually managed to out-awful Claptrap? Bravo Gearbox, for making videogames' worst characters ever. And that's really saying something considering how terrible videogame characters tend to be.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By 49th

Wow, I had no idea Ash was the voice actress! I knew Anthony was a writer but that is awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@MrKlorox said:

Wow... they actually managed to out-awful Claptrap? Bravo Gearbox, for making videogames' worst characters ever. And that's really saying something considering how terrible videogame characters tend to be.

False.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By neoepoch

Everyone getting mad everywhere. For what it is worth, I thoroughly enjoyed Tiny Tina and her quest line, and I absolutely hate HAWP. The idea of the character is so absurd (among many other things in the game) that I couldn't help but chuckle and smile at whatever nonsense she spoke. Even Claptrap, who was an annoying bastard (and had the most awkward birthday), grew on me, especially during the final quest. And Handsome Jack is probably my favorite villain ever. He is a guy written for you to absolutely hate. Everything he says, you know it is going to be derisive and everything he does makes you hate him 10 times over. He is imperious, invidious, and pompous. And I love that about him.

The game as a whole is probably one of my most favorite sequels of all time. It takes all the problems of the first one and fixes everything, and adds more stuff into it to make the game better. Is it revolutionary? Well it doesn't make any massive leaps from the first one, but everything is polished up, made better, and given more details to just make a better experience. The environments are better, there is better dialogue and characters, the weapons are more varied in their designs, the classes are cooler with more varied trees and customization options, and the quest are made better (i.e. no grab 4 gun parts to make some crappy gun...although there is that one quest that kinda lampoons those quests). Everything about it is just better.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By thedj93

@Maajin said:

@VooDooPC said:

Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

Yep, that pretty much defines Ashly Burch.

(I think this interview is one of the greatest things to ever be uploaded on the internet, by the way.)

ROCCO at his best

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By PillClinton

Yes, Tiny Tina is a truly awful character.

IMO: so as to not get lambasted by the anti-opinion squad, which seems to be representing in full force recently.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By thedj93

@Akyho said:

That is the joke..........also helps if your a fan of Hey Ash Watcha Playin.

The two people responsible for what you dont like.

not their best clip... but thanks for introducing me to them! its actually quite a witty series

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#163  Edited By project343

My favourite character in the series. So I don't know what that says about me...

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Taklulas

@ajamafalous said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

I hate this site more and more with each passing day.

Because someone has an opinion different from yours?

Because everyone is bitching over a video game character. #First world problems at their finest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I thought people were exaggerating about how awful Tiny Tina was. Words don't do it justice how annoying the character is. Thankfully you don't have to deal with her through out the entire game. Plus kind of fucked up having a 13 Year Old Girl talking about bombs like big breast and horrifically torturing and murdering people.

@Taklulas said:

@ajamafalous said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

Because everyone is bitching over a video game character. #First world problems at their finest.

I fucking hate that shit worse then Tiny Tina. Yes complaining about video games is a first world problem but I am on a mother fucking video game forum. That hash tag shit ups the fuck you factor by a billion. WHY DON"T YOU START A TOPIC ABOUT THE HORRORS GOING ON IN PARTS OF AFRICA OR THE WAR ATROCITIES IN SYRIA OR BETTER YET JOIN THE FUCKING PEACE CORP AND DO YOUR PART INSTEAD OF ACTING ALL SMUG ABOUT BEING ABOVE BITCHING ABOUT AN ANNOYING NPC IN A POPULAR VIDEO GAME ON A WEBSITE DEDICATED TO VIDEO GAMES!!!

Sorry about that. So yeah Tiny Tina is an awful character.

BonzoPongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By BonzoPongo

Yeah, stop talking about video games, why aren't all you fuckers curing cancer

Chalian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Chalian

^^^^^^^^^

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#168  Edited By ajamafalous
    @bartok said:

@Taklulas said:

@ajamafalous said:

@BigDaddy81 said:

I fucking hate that shit worse then Tiny Tina. Yes complaining about video games is a first world problem but I am on a mother fucking video game forum. That hash tag shit ups the fuck you factor by a billion. WHY DON"T YOU START A TOPIC ABOUT THE HORRORS GOING ON IN PARTS OF AFRICA OR THE WAR ATROCITIES IN SYRIA OR BETTER YET JOIN THE FUCKING PEACE CORP AND DO YOUR PART INSTEAD OF ACTING ALL SMUG ABOUT BEING ABOVE BITCHING ABOUT AN ANNOYING NPC IN A POPULAR VIDEO GAME ON A WEBSITE DEDICATED TO VIDEO GAMES!!!

10000% agree. The phrase 'first world problems' is one of the dumbest things to ever exist. Just the fact that I'm able to post on this forum means that I'm better off than millions of people will ever be, but implying that that means I'm not allowed to complain about anything in my life ever is literally the dumbest line of logic I have ever been exposed to.
    HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By HerbieBug

@MrKlorox said:

... i like Claptrap.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By peritus

I do like "NAP TIME!".

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@BonzoPongo said:

Don't you listen to Chris Rock? The money is not in the cure the money is in the medicine. That is how we make are money on the come back.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#172  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I think she's pretty funny.

I mean come on, "Get Bodadonkadonks" was a quest objective. Its pretty clear this isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Palaeomerus
    @BonzoPongo said:

I cure my cancer with cigarettes and gamma rays.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By NegativeCero
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Portis

Whatever. Tiny Tina is awesome. 

"When you are ready to begin the Tea-Party, please smack Mister Flesh Stick in his bitch face."

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Palaeomerus

@ProfessorK said:

Man, I'm actually amazed at how the reception has been to BL2's humor has been here. I figured enough people would get the fact that it's 99.9% ironic and mostly dumb for the sake of being dumb. Now whether or not someone finds it funny is fine. But really I feel it's a commentary of the state of gamer/online humor, which in itself is completely dumb/ironic.

Also, I love Tiny Tina, she somewhat reminds me of Pinky from Pinky and the Brain.

The thing is, something can be " 99.9% ironic and mostly dumb for the sake of being dumb" and still not be very good, original, notable, funny, or worth doing. Ask Jim Sterling about random snark falling flat around half the time because it was just cheap lazy garbage spewed out more as a habit than humor.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By John1912

After finishing the game. Tiny Tina was the only person in the game I actually liked.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By SmilingPig

@John1912 said:

After finishing the game. Tiny Tina was the only person in the game I actually liked.

She is the only one who sounds human for 2 seconds at the end of her quest line.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By napalm

Except the part where she doesn't.

@SmilingPig: You picked up on that little nuance too, eh?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By MezZa

@NegativeCero: Kind of. There is an echo recording that you will find in another mission that shines a bit of light on her past. It's very brief, but emotional.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By JP_Russell

I read this thread over a week ago, before I'd ever come across Tiny Tina, and figured I'd probably just be mildly annoyed by her.  But she really is the worst.  She's so bad that I actually cease to enjoy playing the game when she says anything.  It was surprising, really.

The only time she said anything that didn't make me angry was when she said her "Best tea party ever" line.  I actually thought that was a cleverly written moment of humanity that was nicely delivered, to boot.  But everything else is just the most horrible, rancid mind-bilge on the planet.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no issue with her at all. Shes just another person in the wastes. 

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#183  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Taken from an IGN interview with Gearbox Creative Director Paul Hellquist:

But what of the fate of everyone's favorite character, Tiny Tina? Surely she will return in future DLC? Hellquist spoke words of sweet, sweet relief at the end of our call: "I think we've got some stuff coming down the line that has more Tina. It was pretty apparent from the earliest focus tests that she was gonna' be pretty popular."

Best DLC ever!

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#184  Edited By Sin4profit

Looking back i feel like they were trying way too hard with ALL the new characters. In retrospect i can't think of a new character that i liked in Borderlands 2. All in all it didn't bother me too much but it just seemed the harder they tried, the more obnoxious it was and Tiny Tina was at the top of the list of trying too hard.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By penguindust

I have no problems with Tiny Tina at all. I like the way she says "Badonkadonks". Tina kind of reminds me of Lori Petty in the movie, Tank Girl. I like that movie. It's not a good film, but I like it. That's how I feel about Tina, I guess.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I must say I agree with everyone that hated her. I didn't abjectly want to set her on fire, but nearly every time she opened her mouth I groaned.

@Sin4profit said:

Looking back i feel like they were trying way too hard with ALL the new characters.

If you want to be technical, the four original Vault Hunters are new characters (i.e. not just shouting phrases and grunting) and all of them are enjoyable. In fact, the way that Roland and Lilith play off of each other is pretty good and Brick is a good character especially for that universe. Mordecai is alright too, but I feel like the other three are just better (still haven't beaten the game, so take that into account).

And Handsome Jack is a really good villain, despite what the first 30% of the game seems to lump him off as. His plot turns are enjoyable, if really obvious, and some of his quest dialogue is fantastic (Lovers Leap(?), anyone?)

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#188  Edited By Sin4profit

@SirOptimusPrime: My opinion of the original Vault Hunters is pretty lukewarm but i can't tell if it's a "giving Tom & Jerry a voice" scenario where the characters just don't come across as you originally imagined they would. Their founding story, where they ended up after they split, worked well enough, except i don't remember where lilith ended up and i cringe everytime i hear someone say "sup" unironically. But, I feel like the originals only semi worked because they were downplayed (ie generic).

As for Handsome Jack i feel like they ruined that character by keeping him at 11 the whole time, refusing to let up, and trying to add a character arch way late which felt more like a "spike" then an "arch". At that point everything just fell flat for lack of depth.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#189  Edited By ethan_raiden

She's awesome, goodnight.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#190  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Sin4profit said:

@SirOptimusPrime: My opinion of the original Vault Hunters is pretty lukewarm but i can't tell if it's a "giving Tom & Jerry a voice" scenario where the characters just don't come across as you originally imagined they would. Their founding story, where they ended up after they split, worked well enough, except i don't remember where lilith ended up and i cringe everytime i hear someone say "sup" unironically. But, I feel like the originals only semi worked because they were downplayed (ie generic).

As for Handsome Jack i feel like they ruined that character by keeping him at 11 the whole time, refusing to let up, and trying to add a character arch way late which felt more like a "spike" then an "arch". At that point everything just fell flat for lack of depth.

Disagree entirely on Handsome Jack. He was a cocky son of a bitch throughout a lot of the game because he had the largest corporation in the galaxies at his disposal. When you hit him where it hurts, he starts to take you seriously, and then it becomes a game of rising escalation between the Vault Hunter/s and Handsome Jack, culminating in a really brutal low blow to Jack.

That's when the kid gloves come off and he starts being genuinely nasty.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By VooDooPC

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Sin4profit said:

Disagree entirely on Handsome Jack. He was a cocky son of a bitch throughout a lot of the game because he had the largest corporation in the galaxies at his disposal. When you hit him where it hurts, he starts to take you seriously, and then it becomes a game of rising escalation between the Vault Hunter/s and Handsome Jack, culminating in a really brutal low blow to Jack.

That's when the kid gloves come off and he starts being genuinely nasty.

I agree with you about Handsome Jack. His, "Look how evil I am" routine gets a little stale but about 3/4ths in his attitude changes a bit. He realizes what you're capable of and puts his serious face on (no pun intended).

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By EXTomar

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I feel exactly like TLM. I honestly don't know why she is hated because she is really no weird or worse than Scooter or Claptrap.

If there is something to complain about, it is the huge amounts of cross chatter. There is too much talking in the game where stuff is being cut off all of the time due to the progress of the game.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By VooDooPC

@EXTomar said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I feel exactly like TLM. I honestly don't know why she is hated because she is really no weird or worse than Scooter or Claptrap.

If there is something to complain about, it is the huge amounts of cross chatter. There is too much talking in the game where stuff is being cut off all of the time due to the progress of the game.

Yeah, sometimes in the game I have to do what I do in GTA like games where I have to keep driving around before I get to the objective so I can hear the whole conversation. Same with Borderlands, have to wait for people to finish talking before I do anything else because I don't want it to get cut off.... unless it's Tiny Tina.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#194  Edited By ShinjiEx
    @VooDooPC said:

Tiny Tina is the crappiest character I've come across in the Borderlands universe, by far. The writing and the voice acting for this character are just bad. Her writing is like a cross between a pimp and a five year old throwing tantrums, then for no reason she make tons of sexual references like "flesh-stick" and "Sexopants". Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

"These FIIIINE ass womens could stop that train for you but I'ma need their badonkadonks first."

"Oh daaaaayum, you lookin' good ladies"

It's SO bad.

Is this nigga serous?

Tiny Tina my waifu ^__^
    dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By dropabombonit

I think the design of the character is great but the writing and voice acting are some of the worst in Borderlands 2

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#196  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

There are some great characters in BL2, hilarious ones - Ellie stands out as such a hoot sometimes, then old standbys like Claptrap and Scooter are still awesome - so it's almost mindboggling to me that the same Anthony Burch who wrote those characters... also wrote Tina. She just comes off as so weird - and not in the good context that most of Borderland's weirdness comes from - and I'm not a particular fan of the sort of humour that she plays off in the first place (I don't really like HAWP either, so maybe it's that to an extent too). She's more cringeworthy to me than actually funny. 

That said, once I was doing the ECHO collection mission  for Tannis in the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve, and you get more background on why she is like she is, I appreciated her story a little more. I liked that aspect, but I'm not fond of Tina at all really.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#197  Edited By mrcraggle

The 2 worst characters are its 2 newest and most out of place. Ellie is a new character really fits in with those characters and that world but I don't get Tiny Tina at all nor how people actually love her and find her hilarious. She isn't a character in this world, she is a video game version of Ash. I'm totally with Jeff on Handsome Jack too. I wanted to disagree but he's just completely one note through out and comes off completely try hard.

On the other hand, the original vault hunters are even more thought out in the sequel and original side characters are funnier and you do feel more involved with what's going on. Because I loved playing as Mordecai in the original and Bloodwing was so badass it fucking sucks with what eventually happens and that drew me in.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I didn't mind her all that much. I can see how she would annoy a lot of people, but overall, she was okay. Wasn't the best character.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Orbitz89

@BigDaddy81 said:

@ajamafalous: It's more because of this prevailing attitude around here that if something wasn't written or spoken by the Great Jeff Gerstmann and Co. then it can't be funny and must be derided as much as possible.

I have been witnessing this for some time now and it only seems to be getting worse. I could handle it if it was just the community doing this but it seems the GB crew are also guilty of lambasting things like this. Yes, internet humor and memes tend to be pretty dumb and immature, but so is Giant Bomb's humor. God forbid someone tries to inject a 30 to 60 hour long game with some humor and miss a few jokes here and there!

In all honesty, I just think this site is evolving into something I don't want to be a part of anymore. I don't even know why I'm bothering to write all of this. People getting angry and leaving is nothing new to forums, but this was the first site I really wanted to be a part of. I'm more depressed than angry I guess. Now I'm rambling. Gonna take a nap.

I hear what you're saying and I agree.. But this is an attitude that's shared over websites all across the Internet where there is someone of "Celebrity" status. Rooster Teeth, Cinemassacre, Thatguywiththeglasses.. These are just a few of the sites I know of where the main crew ( or cast if you prefer ) all have a legion of fans ready to eat up anything they say and deride anything that they don't like. Unfortunately Giant Bomb just happens to be a website about games and game journalism that also has a popular crew of journalists that seem to garner the same fanboyism you'd find on any of the websites I've mentioned above. Jeff Gerstmann is basically a celebrity of game journalism.. so it's natural he has a few blind sheep hanging on everything he says.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By hippie_genocide

I...don't get this at all. Tiny Tina was awesome. When I watched the QL Brad would ask Jeff about the writing and humor in the game and he doesn't even mention Tiny Tina, and I was thinking "wtf man?!". I guess it helps that I'm a fan of HAWP. One thing I wish Gearbox writers would get away from is falling back on the racial stereotype of American rednecks. It pervaded the first game and is arguably worse here. Its just kind of lazy. Haha, incest jokes and being orca fat, what could be funnier, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.