Too hard for solo play

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Maddman60620 (155 posts) -

Has anyone found that with each update for BL2 that it becomes harder to solo play the game and also where is the all the loot?!?! so far the only legendary weapons I have are a crappy one shot shotgun, volcano sniper rifle, and a low level 37 infinity pistol...

With the Evil Smasher glitch gone I can't do any of the raid bosses and the new ultimate vault hunter mode I go down faster then a hoe durning NBA all-star weekend...

#2 Posted by believer258 (12215 posts) -

This is why I stopped playing. I never got any good loot while playing alone and it always felt terribly unbalanced. Which sucks because I really wanted to play this game.

#3 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

It's definitely harder (4x enemy health). Make sure you are making use of slag. They buffed it from 2x damage to 3x damage in uvhm mode, and weapon swaps are quicker now so you can switch to and from slag weapons more easily. It's much more vital to use if you want to drop the enemies fast. While some are better than others, each character has a way to slag enemies with their skills alone, and you should be carrying a good slag weapon or grenade as well. Not sure what your loadout looks like or what character build you're using, but you might just have to adjust your build or farm bosses for legendary loot. Raid bosses aren't the only way to get good loot; just the faster way.

#4 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I didn't get good loot either. I didn't like Borderlands 2 much at all.

#5 Edited by WasabiCurry (425 posts) -

I made it to the vault hunter mode by myself. However, the game just becomes too unfair after Sanctuary is teleported into the skies.

Or I just suck at the game... :/

#6 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
  1. Play Zer0
  2. Max out melee
  3. Get Love Thumper shield

You now one shot everything.

#7 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

I am not sure it is "hard" solo but playing with multiple players opens up tactics. If nothing else just having one player as a distraction helps makes so many encounters easier. It almost makes the case where they should have gone with a L4D co-op system where the partner AI may not be great but they are extra targets which is often very useful.

#8 Edited by Yummylee (22587 posts) -

I haven't played it in while, but even before all of these patches, playing it solo in NG+ was not an especially fun experience nearing the ending stretch. The balance issues for solo play is why I stopped playing, despite having at least one character to max level and plenty of DLC to go through... Unfortunate to hear that it's only gotten harder since.

I still loved the majority of my time with it, though, even if it hasn't quite kept me stuck in like the first one did.

#9 Edited by Milkman (17351 posts) -

This was my problem too when I first played it. I was dying constantly playing solo and just having zero fun so I stopped. I just assumed I was terrible at the game, though that is still a distinct possibility.

#10 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

I only played it at launch, and finished the game (99%) solo, but I would've probably played way more of it had it been a little easier. I probably will never play it again if you say it's even harder now.

#11 Edited by Maddman60620 (155 posts) -

I've respected my commando to have the turrent slag but the enemies take it down pretty fast and I find myself running out of ammo really fast too, the regen health is a monster when you have a swarm of guys coming at you. I guess I might have to use golden keys if I ever get to the main town and hopefully get some better gear..

I spent over 230hrs so far on this game playing as everyone but zero and I really do like this game but yeah I feels very unbalanced and it kinda drives me away..

#12 Edited by 49th (2853 posts) -

I actually thought the exact opposite. Playing by myself as the Gunzerker was extremely easy and boring to the point where I stopped playing altogether after literally running through an area without stopping and killing everything along the way. My only option for co-op was with random people which actually made it way more challenging but the downside is that I was playing with random people.

#13 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Beat the game solo. Not hard at all

#14 Edited by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

I also find that GearBox made Borderlands 2 harder on solo than the first one. Not only did they keep the money leech when you die, they also drastically reduced of how much cash you find within the game. You're lucky to find $100 now and then again. But usually its bellow $75 in most areas of loot. It makes the game damn-right punishing and frustrating to play to the point of a possible rage-uninstall.

Oh, and don't get me started on the shafted co-op mode on the PC version.

#15 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

@maddman60620: Do you also have the longbow turret skill to increase its health? That drastically helps the turret's survivability. Also try to avoid putting it in spots where it can be easily melee'd. Place it on top of stuff instead. Melee attacks tend to kill the turret much faster than just regular bullets.

And I agree, there's a lot about it that just feels ridiculous right now, but I think that'll pass once better gear can be found to compensate. True vault hunter mode wasn't exactly a walk in the park either until people had the chance to farm at level 50 for awhile.

#16 Posted by Icemo (660 posts) -

It's sad that I bought the season pass and don't feel like playing the newest dlc since the level cap is still 50. I want to level up, not just find shitty loot with minimalistic drop rates for legendaries. I didn't have problems at true vault hunter mode if you don't count those damn raid bosses. Fighting them without legendary weapons is hard as hell.

#17 Posted by Slag (4903 posts) -

I thought the game was pretty easy on Solo. I haven't started True Vault Hunter Mode though.

To be fair I played as Commando, which I think is by the far the easiest class to solo.

the loot distribution playing solo definitelydid suck though.

#18 Posted by GunstarRed (5486 posts) -

I just went back to it and started up the Big Game Hunt DLC and holy shit were there some points where it felt completely broken. Most of my high powered guns wouldn't even scratch the witch doctors and the endless stream of enemies. I found myself blindly firing into a big mess of dudes/monsters just hoping I'd get a second wind.

The last few areas leading up to the final boss had so many enemies I eventually just gave up and ran for it. i'm pretty certain it would have taken over an hour to finish if I didn't.

#19 Edited by Maddman60620 (155 posts) -

@mentaldisruption: I'll try that respect as see if I have better luck, was doing a double sticky shield turrent to the TVHM but wasn't cutting it in this new mode.

there was a week where gearbox had upped the drop rates on rare guns and even had normal mobs dropping orange guns, which was when bio-shock came out and naturally I didn't read about it til weeks after.

#20 Posted by Avanzato (91 posts) -

I went solo through the game once and it wasn't all that hard but like the first game I finished it using (kind of unimpressive) loot I'd got about 2/3 of the way through.

For a loot game to bury the good stuff in co-op play and raid bosses seems kind of shitty and I've not bothered going back.

#21 Edited by MonetaryDread (2182 posts) -

@maddman60620:

Are you playing on PC or on a console? I tried plugging my 360 pad into my computer one day and found that the game is almost unplayable without mouse and keyboard. The enemies move too fast, there are too many times where you are being attacks from multiple vertical levels, or enemies that have awkward to hit weak spots. Those three design choices are easy to deal with when you have the speed and accuracy of mouse aiming, but become problems when you are saddled with an input device that is as slow and inaccurate as a controller. I also found that using auto-aim made targeting specific points of an enemy more difficult.

#22 Edited by Sinusoidal (1824 posts) -

I had the same problem. I gave up a quarter of the way through TVHM when enemies could take me out in two hits and could soak up two or three clips from me. I blew $300'000 dying repeatedly on Mad Mike. Also fuck farming bosses for orange drops!

#23 Edited by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

Loved Borderlands, did not like Borderlands 2 at all. Couldn't really put my finger on why but the magic just wasn't there.

#24 Edited by Maddman60620 (155 posts) -

@monetarydread: That could be apart of the problem, I play on PC with a xbox controller. mainly because both my pcs are hooked up to my tvs in the bedroom and living room with no comfortable way to play with a keyboard and mouse on a couch or bed thats the way I play nearly all my pc games. It does get rough playing that way when it comes to the bosses more so in the sir hammerlock dlc which has more weak and reflect points on the enemies.

random co-op & farming isn't really fun in any game thats why I hope gearbox ups the drops on rares and/or I can find builds across all the characters to make this game I like and spent money on for a season pass a little bit more playable...

#25 Posted by StrainedEyes (1335 posts) -

@icemo said:

It's sad that I bought the season pass and don't feel like playing the newest dlc since the level cap is still 50. I want to level up, not just find shitty loot with minimalistic drop rates for legendaries. I didn't have problems at true vault hunter mode if you don't count those damn raid bosses. Fighting them without legendary weapons is hard as hell.

The level cap was just increased to 61.

#26 Posted by golguin (4064 posts) -

I tried the new level cap areas with my Siren and it wasn't too bad. I actually went down once, but came right back up with my rocket launcher. I want to try out some more later, but Bioshock Infinite is calling for a 2nd playthrough.

#27 Posted by Icemo (660 posts) -

@strainedeyes: Whoa, thanks for notice! I better try it out after finishing infinite.

#28 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4899 posts) -

@icemo said:

The level cap was just increased to 61.

Sadly they didn't fix the part where the game is broken for solo play.

It particularly stings for me since my internet is shitty from living in a rural area.

#29 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Nah, I never had any major problems playing it solo. Only the raid bosses ever presented any major challenge.

Sure TVHM was a probably too much of a ramp up from normal, but then again normal is kinda a casual experience. A difficulty jump is exactly what I wanted out of it.

Now that people are saying that playthrough 3 is even harder, that actually makes me more interested in reinstalling 2 and having another romp through it, with my decked out characters. As long as it's not crushingly so.

#30 Posted by Icemo (660 posts) -

Man, ultimate vault hunter mode has some beefy enemies. I'm somehow managing solo but if I encounter a level 54 enemy (I'm 51 at the moment) I will lose most of my ammo even when I'm kiting with the bee and hitting critical hits. But still it's kinda fun.

#31 Posted by HH (638 posts) -

i killed the warrior earlier today on UVHM, solo'd all the way with a siren, didn't encounter anything like the troublesome late thirties in TVHM, but i was decked out in legendary gear to be fair, and in a cataclysm build, which seems a little too well suited to the boost that slag gets, and even then, hit some snags in sawtooth cauldron and lost all my cash in respawns.

everything scales to your level in the new mode, so i got through the mq by lvl 56, with no worries about leveling up to proceed, and i can now go and do whatever quests i want to get to 61, which, considering i always skip the early zone quests and never get to play them, is pretty sweet.

#32 Posted by madpierrot (72 posts) -

The original Borderlands is one of my all time favorite games and the two reasons you listed above are two of the reasons why I like Borderlands 2 and think it's good, but no where near the first.

So I beat through the first two playthroughs and am a little bit into UVHM solo as a commando so it's not like it was impossible, but they game can absolutely be frustrating with it's difficulty at times. I know this can't be true, but I feel like I died more in my first 20 hours of Borderlands 2 than I did in nearly 200 hours of the original game. This average I felt like hasn't slowed down either. Also nearly 100 hours of gameplay I have found only 3 orange guns / items, so again like with the difficultly, just frustrating.

#33 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

The main thing that totally turned me off was how many flying and fleeing enemies there are. It pretty much guarantees you will wind up in a downed state with all the enemies immediately running away so you can't get a second wind. Plus the game feels like there is way more travel time, even to get back to where you died.

#35 Edited by Solh0und (1856 posts) -

Man I have yet to finish my solo run.....thanks for reminding me of that,Guise

#36 Posted by AidenJFG (1 posts) -

The reasons why UVHM spoiled the game:

We reached level 50 (which took ages) then we farmed for hours and hours for legendaries and then we kill raid bosses over and over and over and over. No we have to do it all over again.

We are now underpowered because enemies have WAY too much health. Example: I use the sand hawk with the bee shield for the first few missions of UVHM but guess what... IT TAKES LIKE 5 BURSTS TO KILL A GODDAMN IRONCLAD PSYCHO!!!

If you don't use slag then it is almost impossible to kill enemies. Now we can't use our own play styles.

Yeah, we can now do the storyline again. Cool, cool....... THE STORYLINE IS BOOOOOOORING!!!!

I can't believe it... my favourite game is now RUINED. The first Borderlands was amazing! This one is a boring, glitch and too challenging for anyone to find fun.

Gearbox: You have failed us!

#37 Edited by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

Borderlands 2 never clicked with me. It was so full of memes and references, that the writing started to get on my nerves. I finished it with a friend since after level 25 I couldn't seem to get anything done solo. Still a solid game for coop or singleplayer if you can handle the difficulty curve, but I didn't buy all the DLC and do multiple playthroughs like I did with BL1.

#38 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2501 posts) -

I just started playing and I'm finding it to be much more of a grind than Borderlands 1. I did multiple playthroughs of the first game and spent more time playing solo than playing with others, never had a problem, was able to get through the game with no issues and for the most part had fun.

With Borderlands 2 I am only 6 hours in and already pretty bored with the experience. It doesn't feel like Gearbox addressed any of the design issues with the game and instead concentrated on making a larger world with higher details. The story isn't grabbing me, the humor misses much more than it hits, and it sorta feels like they spread too many of the good perks across the character classes. I'm playing the Siren and so has nearly every person I've seen playing online, with the exception of two soldiers.

The difficulty level is frustrating and nearly every enemy in the game, even minor skags, just seem to be complete bullet sponges. I've tried to jump into some multiplayer games, though there don't seem to be many, and haven't been able to have the same fun experiences that I had with the first game.

I think I just played too much of Borderlands 1 and this sequel isn't a radical enough departure for me to feel like I need to experience it. I'm 6 hours in and already it feels like I've seen all the tricks up the game's sleeve.

#39 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4899 posts) -

@lydian_sel: Go into your game settings and switch to "Offline". It nerfs the enemies considerably.

#40 Posted by cheishxc (91 posts) -

I was REALLY into Borderlands 2 when it came out. I bought a season pass almost right away. I played so much of that damn game, but now I have a harder and harder time going back to it playing through the DLC.

#41 Posted by Sivos (1 posts) -

What are you people talking about (I realize this is a dead thread, but what the hell)? I found this forum because I'm searching for a way to increase the difficulty. The game is too easy for solo play! Everything I've been shooting around level 25 just dies too fast. If you people hate it so much, don't be a noob and jump into the fire too fast. Just get behind cover; I mean damn, it's comments like this why game companies constantly nerf games to where they are just no fun. If you suck, get better or don't play.

#42 Posted by Humanity (10141 posts) -

I thought it was fine until I beat the game. NG+ wasn't that fun anymore by myself and I didn't have anyone else to play with, but then again by that point I've had enough of the game.

#43 Edited by Corvak (1173 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is vastly skewed towards co-op play.

- Reviving. You're basically SOL if you go down on a boss fight alone. With no partners to get you up, you basically have to hope the boss spawns a minion. You can of course keep minions alive on purpose, simply taking the extra hits, but this feels like it's just a workaround, not an intended solution.

- Loot luck. More players = more loot = more chances something useful for your build drops. Playing with four people looking for different things makes this easy. Otherwise you have to continually replay content until you get something nice.

Maybe i'm just shit at games, maybe I just had savagely bad luck, but I found myself dumping huge quantities of ammo into things and running out constantly, because I really felt underpowered relative to equal level targets. My problem wasn't taking damage, or being out of cover, it was simply not having enough damage output to end a fight before my ammunition was depleted.

Playing with friends is awkward if you dont play as a group all the time - level differences make it hard for some, and easy for others. In the future, I really hope they provide level scaling to even the odds and make matchmaking easier. Guild Wars 2 does a very good job at this.

Borderlands 2 made me laugh at its characters and plot, and rage at its combat mechanics. In the end, I kinda wish i'd waited for it to go on sale, because I didn't really get my $60 out of it. I didn't bother with the DLC, and probably won't go back anytime soon.

NOTE: I did eventually beat the game, though it did require using some Golden Keys from twitter codes.

#44 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

My only complaint with Borderlands 2 is that it should drop more special guns at certain intervals. The Sword Gun from Dragon Keep, Sledge's Shotgun from Sledge in BL1, Flynt's Tinderbox from cpt Flynt in BL2.

If there's more decent weapons out there instead of only decent stuff, good stuff and AMAZING stuff, I'd feel more pressed to keep playing. I've literally been playing with the same guns since I hit level 50 some months ago. Kinda depressing and not fun in a loot based game.

#45 Posted by hei1378 (1 posts) -

my game suddently got harder after an uptate. now every enemy has to much hp and almost one hit... even skags! wtf gearbox!!

#46 Posted by Nictel (2442 posts) -

Yeah at this point my Siren feels useless, can't do most of the new stuff. Where I could almost solo any boss before.

#47 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1229 posts) -

I have solo played three characters to lvl 50 and am working on a fourth. So, no I don't think it's too hard to solo...Well, I haven't yet played it on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode. I've heard that's near impossible.

#48 Edited by believer258 (12215 posts) -

For the next motherfucker that bumps this:

Putting the game in offline mode makes it a lot easier for some reason. I don't know why, but that's your easy mode.

If your console is always connected, then the game defaults to being online of course. However, the game's difficulty gets a hell of a bump when the game is on the internet. This is coming from someone who beat Doom 2 on Ultra Violence the first time, and Halo Reach on Legendary is kinda easy. I am no stranger to first person shooter campaigns, and this one isn't balanced for solo players.

#49 Edited by OurSin_360 (947 posts) -

Harder? no. More boring? Yes

You only get good loot in co-op btw, it's been like that since the original.

#50 Posted by stryker1121 (1592 posts) -

I beat BL2 solo, but like the first game loot drops were nothing to shout about when going alone. I like the franchise, but picking up all that vendor trash gets boring fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.