UK midnight launch at supermarkets?

#1 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

(btw I can't find a direct number for the store otherwise I'd just phone and ask)

#2 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

Yeah, I've picked up games from 24 hour Asda/Tesco stores a bunch of times. Did it for the Xbox 360 and Wii, Oblivion, Halo 3, Arkham City, Skyrim... Do it, duder!

#3 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Not sure about Tesco: but in ASDA our stock can be in before the Friday but not sold until the morning (despite being 24 hours the Entertainment department is not.) We don't do midnight releases. If you really want you can phone now the Service desk and ask if there Entertainment is 24 hours, if not I don't think they would keep one behind for you, but you can always try.

#4 Edited by GunstarRed (5020 posts) -

If you really wanted it earlier you should have ordered it online. There would have been a high chance of you playing it yesterday or today.

#5 Posted by Boboblaw (269 posts) -

Tesco usually does this as I've been there at midnight the last few years to pick up the last couple of FIFAs.

#6 Posted by Vanek (381 posts) -

@Killercombo said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Not sure about Tesco: but in ASDA our stock can be in before the Friday but not sold until the morning (despite being 24 hours the Entertainment department is not.) We don't do midnight releases. If you really want you can phone now the Service desk and ask if there Entertainment is 24 hours, if not I don't think they would keep one behind for you, but you can always try.

This.

I work nightshift at ASDA and it's different with each store. They generally only sell high profile games at midnight, because it requires a little bit of effort to do, but something like Borderlands probably won't be sold till 7AM. A quick phone call is your best bet.

Online
#7 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -

@Vanek said:

@Killercombo said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Not sure about Tesco: but in ASDA our stock can be in before the Friday but not sold until the morning (despite being 24 hours the Entertainment department is not.) We don't do midnight releases. If you really want you can phone now the Service desk and ask if there Entertainment is 24 hours, if not I don't think they would keep one behind for you, but you can always try.

This.

I work nightshift at ASDA and it's different with each store. They generally only sell high profile games at midnight, because it requires a little bit of effort to do, but something like Borderlands probably won't be sold till 7AM. A quick phone call is your best bet.

I have worked both day and night, our store don't do midnights, even for CoD but we have posters/t shirts and stuff to give out when we do open, even that changes sometimes, 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, depends who is in on the day, FIFA is the only real thing that sells out in our store.

#8 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Just managed to get through to the store (not quite sure how) and they said it'd be on the shelves around midnight. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

#9 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Just managed to get through to the store (not quite sure how) and they said it'd be on the shelves around midnight. I guess we'll know in a few hours.

Normally they have different phones for all the departments, if you got a name of a person who will be in at midnight that helps, then you can blame them if they are not on the shelf :)

#10 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@Killercombo said:

@Vanek said:

@Killercombo said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Not sure about Tesco: but in ASDA our stock can be in before the Friday but not sold until the morning (despite being 24 hours the Entertainment department is not.) We don't do midnight releases. If you really want you can phone now the Service desk and ask if there Entertainment is 24 hours, if not I don't think they would keep one behind for you, but you can always try.

This.

I work nightshift at ASDA and it's different with each store. They generally only sell high profile games at midnight, because it requires a little bit of effort to do, but something like Borderlands probably won't be sold till 7AM. A quick phone call is your best bet.

I have worked both day and night, our store don't do midnights, even for CoD but we have posters/t shirts and stuff to give out when we do open, even that changes sometimes, 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, depends who is in on the day, FIFA is the only real thing that sells out in our store.

It must be different for each store, duder. I've personally been at our local Asda at midnight for shitloads of game launches.

#11 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@Killercombo: Yep, if in 90 minutes from now my walk down there proves to be in vain, the faceless Jonathan "Alright, Captain?" Tesco is going to get it. Or not.

#12 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@Killercombo said:

@Vanek said:

@Killercombo said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Technically the game doesn't release until tomorrow here, but I'm a night owl and I'm feeling impatient. I live very close to a 24 hour Tesco, and wonder if Friday's releases will be on the shelves in the next few hours. Although this seems to be the case with tentpole releases like CoD and Halo, I'm not sure it'll happen for Borderlands. Does anyone in the UK have any experience doing this and is it worth me going down there or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Not sure about Tesco: but in ASDA our stock can be in before the Friday but not sold until the morning (despite being 24 hours the Entertainment department is not.) We don't do midnight releases. If you really want you can phone now the Service desk and ask if there Entertainment is 24 hours, if not I don't think they would keep one behind for you, but you can always try.

This.

I work nightshift at ASDA and it's different with each store. They generally only sell high profile games at midnight, because it requires a little bit of effort to do, but something like Borderlands probably won't be sold till 7AM. A quick phone call is your best bet.

I have worked both day and night, our store don't do midnights, even for CoD but we have posters/t shirts and stuff to give out when we do open, even that changes sometimes, 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, depends who is in on the day, FIFA is the only real thing that sells out in our store.

It must be different for each store, duder. I've personally been at our local Asda at midnight for shitloads of game launches.

Oh yes of course, Livingston is the biggest store in Scotland but can't decide the times, first we were 24 hours then 6am till Midnight, then 24 hours (but closed from 2-5am) now back to 24 hours.

@EvilNiGHTS said:

@Killercombo: Yep, if in 90 minutes from now my walk down there proves to be in vain, the faceless Jonathan "Alright, Captain?" Tesco is going to get it. Or not.

Last time I was promised something would be left behind it was not and I got a £10 gift card out of it :)

#13 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Okay, here we go. Should this work I'll post a picture of the box, the receipt, and a link to the Zelda Treasure Catch Fanfare...

#14 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Got down there, wasn't on the shelves. Asked a member of staff, who then got the guy I'd spoke to on the phone, who got another guy, and eventually...

Sad thing is I'm kinda tired now...

#15 Posted by dodgyc (69 posts) -
@EvilNiGHTS: ITs got your unique tesco clubcard number on there.
#16 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@dodgyc said:

@EvilNiGHTS: ITs got your unique tesco clubcard number on there.

No problem, that asterisk on the end obscures an entire digit. No one'll ever figure it out!

#17 Posted by Snail (8577 posts) -

And this is one of the many reasons why you should buy games on Steam.

#18 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@Snail: I would have considered that, but I knew I'd be playing online with people who don't own gaming PCs, thus I got the 360 version. Anecdotally, I tried buying Darksiders 2 after midnight from a site I thought was selling Steam codes, and by the time I found out it was a boxed copy it was too late to cancel my order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.