Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

What Memes?

• 58 results
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#51  Edited By StarvingGamer

I think Borderlands 2 is very funny.

It's ok if you don't think Borderlands 2 is funny.

But I hope Borderlands 3 is more of the same kind of funny.

Because when it comes to my enjoyment, you can go fuck yourself.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The memeishness of BL2 wasn't it's biggest problem/issue/thing. Some of the references were actually quite deep cuts. It was the narrative and plot and character dialogue that were the low points of the game for me. Still a damn fine/fun game, though!

I don't like Justin Bieber (or 99% of all rap artists for that matter)

Fucking lol.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@daiphyer: Oh man, I wish I could have played more of the Torque DLC, but unfortunately the PS3 version is kind of a travesty, especially the DLC. It runs at something like 20fps, no joke. But from what I did play it seemed really funny.

''I'm Torque, and I'm here to ask you one question, and one question only: EXPLOSIONS?''

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey, don't hate BL2 because of the memes, hate it because of the boring loot system, limited enemy variety and the existence of only 1 active skill.

God, I hate Borderlands

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The memeishness of BL2 wasn't it's biggest problem/issue/thing. Some of the references were actually quite deep cuts. It was the narrative and plot and character dialogue that were the low points of the game for me. Still a damn fine/fun game, though!

@2headedninja said:

I don't like Justin Bieber (or 99% of all rap artists for that matter)

Fucking lol.

no, I didn't mean so say Bieber is a rap artists, was meant as a seperate thing. English is not my native language so stuff like that slips in from time to time.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the lesson here is that memes (or any pop culture references) aren't inherently terrible, but linking them to a common gameplay action is a terrible idea.

Handsome Jack is one of the best villains in video games, however.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:

@bisonhero said:

@humanity: Yeah, Patrick is nearly incapable of appreciating a big budget game unless he perceives it as being some kind of risk for the publisher like Dishonored. Though granted, if that is the case and it's a so so game like Thief, Patrick still won't like it.

And I kinda think Jeff decides what new games he likes by throwing darts at a dartboard with various game titles pinned to it.

I honestly don't want to actually single anyone out but it's important to note that your appreciation of a game is a highly unique and individual matter. The key difference between what a fan of the site may think of a game and what a staff member might think of it is that one of these people get paid to share their opinion publicly. That is not to diminish what the guys do here to a mere matter of a paycheck, but I have very strong feelings about a variety of games that clash with that of Patricks or Jeffs - and at the end of the day no one is right.

Circling around back to the topic at hand: I didn't really mind much of the humor in Borderlands 2. I did really hate Tiny Tina though and I know that there is a large contingent of players that think she's the best part of the game.

I will say that there has been a strange bandwagon mentality within the game press as of late that I find perturbing - something that I thought would only be limited to horrible internet chatter. Quite possibly it's not even a conscious effort since game critics do tend to isolate themselves in that professional bubble. So more and more I've been seeing many different writers repeat almost the exact same thing concerning any one game. Most recently it's been Watch Dogs. I will admit to almost getting into knife fights over this title because I think it's gotten thrown under the bus for no real reason. And it's completely ok to think it's not the greatest game in the world, but I've heard even game journalists refer to it like it's completely worthless, and thats a shame.

Hey man, I was right in that same boat during the launch of the first Assassin's Creed. Remember how a lot of people in the games press thought it was shit because of no mini maps and repetitive mission design (which was actually one of the points of the whole thing), and then a lot of other people kept trying to stab those people repeatedly in the face and neck going uh uh uh uh uh because they were so blatantly wrong in their opinions?

Remember when Assassin's Creed sold 7 million units in its first month because it was such a fresh, invigorating, bold new game that the average gamer didn't give a piss what critics thought?

What I'm trying to say is that while a lot of people (well, a lot of game journalists) have been throwing Watch_Dogs under the bus, it's ultimately up to the game buying public - the same purchasing public the game journalists are not a part of - that decides what stays and what goes. In the end, word of mouth is far more important than glossy magazine editorials and what some reviews editor for website X says on Twitter. And word of mouth for Watch_Dogs has remained mostly positive. It may not be an Assassin's Creed seller, but I'm sure it's going to do enough good business to warrant a sequel that will, no doubt, iron out the kinks and provide an even richer, cyber-noir hacker experience for you to enjoy.

I have no idea where this came from except to say that all is not lost because game journalists don't like something. They are not the gate keepers of good taste, and they aren't even the gate keepers of taste making. Those would be you and I, and a lot of other people who check something out and deem it "pretty good."

Because we all know if the public buys in to it, it means its good. Thats why Call of Duty is the best series of all time, every Transformers movie is a masterpiece, and Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory are the two best TV shows of the past decade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.