What would it take to get Anthony Burch to do a Quick Look EX?

#1 Posted by MaddenedMan (71 posts) -

It would be amazing, like the collision of two awesome video game website universes, and I would have no choice but to buy the game.

#2 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4906 posts) -

Okay, I found out who Anthony Burch is, and I would rather have a Randy Pitchford in the house instead. A Quick Look EX played in the style of the first Borderlands QL (4 player co-op) but with Randy would be glorious.

#3 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

Yeah I'd rather not mix any other gaming media with GB frankly. When CBSi bought GB my fear was that a gamespot person or two would join. Thankfully that hasn't happened as the small nature of the GB staff makes it feel much more personal.

I'd like to see some coop, but also a good chunk of single player. I'm like 95% sold on the game, but what's holding me back is if the game is too focused on coop. The first game was very solo-able, I hope the 2nd is too because I dont usually go group up with people except for competitive games once in a while.

I watched the Gamespot segment with Randy Pitchford where they played about an hour of the game while he talked. He's one of the few business-type game devs that genuinely gets out there and tries to sell his game. A QL with him would be pretty great, but not sure if PR would want him to spend/waste the time when he should be promoting on a bigger stage.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Okay, I found out who Anthony Burch is, and I would rather have a Randy Pitchford in the house instead. A Quick Look EX played in the style of the first Borderlands QL (4 player co-op) but with Randy would be glorious.

With less disconnections hopefully

But way more duels over useless weapons

#5 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

One with Randy would be awesome. I'll just be happy if they make it four of them playing co-op again though.

#6 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

Yeah I'd rather not mix any other gaming media with GB frankly.

Anthony wrote the game. He's a writer at Gearbox.

#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I prefer my Quick Looks to be unsullied by the need to be polite in front of the developers, thanks.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10384 posts) -

If they get Randy in the house, they'll have to have a camera on him and make him do magic tricks the whole time.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I don't know, you go give him a blowjob and see if that works.

#10 Posted by EuanDewar (4693 posts) -

why would you want a quicklook ex for Borderlands 2 it's out pretty soon, you probably already have a pretty good idea of what its gonna be like and they released that video recently that explained all the new shit sooooooo

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5512 posts) -

Who cares about Anthony? He's the straight man. Just put Brad in there instead.

#12 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1799 posts) -

Ashley Burch.

#13 Posted by wjb (1626 posts) -

The CBSi offices have a strictly policy of not letting homeless people in.

If there's going to be an EX, I think GB has a better rapport with Randy.

#14 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@McGhee said:

I prefer my Quick Looks to be unsullied by the need to be polite in front of the developers, thanks.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything here, but I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be much that anyone can't say in front in of the Borderlands 2 devs.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Yah, I would kinda like to see Randy do a QLEX. Or even better, a TNT a week or so after release.

#16 Edited by MrOldboy (868 posts) -

@DeF said:

@MrOldboy said:

I understand that, but my knowledge of him has come from his work at Destructoid. Was never a fan of his stuff there really, but i honestly dont like a lot of the writing there. Both his web series were fine, a few clever bits. I hope that the main flavor of the first game carries into the second, for consistency sake. I really hope gearbox builds out their world even more and a change in writing style can go a long way to ruining that world's cohesiveness.

In interviews he is listed as lead writer, which does concern me a bit since he wasn't on staff for the first game at all. I would hope someone closer to the game originally would take up that role. Granted the world is already set up so I have faith his work will work well with the game.

Regardless, I should have been clearer. I honestly dont like the quick look ex's, specially when they take the place of a regular quick look. A lot of times I go to GB for some honest opinions, not the preview hype a lot of other sites tend to feed you. So when I watched the QL of Persona 4 Arena I couldn't help but feel Jeff wasn't being as honest because he was on video with a someone from Atlus. I would love for them to just do a TNT of it 4-player. BL2 will be a huge game and I'd like to see some extended play of it.

#17 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@MrOldboy said:

@DeF said:

@MrOldboy said:

I understand that, but my knowledge of him has come from his work at Destructoid. Was never a fan of his stuff there really, but i honestly dont like a lot of the writing there. Both his web series were fine, a few clever bits. I hope that the main flavor of the first game carries into the second, for consistency sake. I really hope gearbox builds out their world even more and a change in writing style can go a long way to ruining that world's cohesiveness.

In interviews he is listed as lead writer, which does concern me a bit since he wasn't on staff for the first game at all. I would hope someone closer to the game originally would take up that role. Granted the world is already set up so I have faith his work will work well with the game.

Things should turn out fine. His stuff actually fits with the Borderlands world perfectly since he's done a lot of silly poop-joke level stuff on HAWP and has shown on his more serious outlets that understands the importance of a cohesive narrative and stuff like that. And it's not like Borderlands 1 contained a lot of actual story aside from some audio log-type stuff that was just crazy rambling. Not a lot to mess up there :)

So ultimately, Borderlands 2 = (probably) gon' be awesome!

#18 Posted by Korolev (1694 posts) -

He probably won't. The guy's a writer, and while he has done media work before, they'll probably want to send over someone more talented at PR. If anyone does it, it'll probably be Randy. Quicklooks are more about the gameplay anyway - it would make more sense to get the programmers and designers in the studio, rather than the writers.

#19 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -

The GB crew seems perfectly suited to QL this game themselves (for once).

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6054 posts) -

@jillsandwich said:

@McGhee said:

I don't want to jump the gun or anything here, but I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be much that anyone can't say in front in of the Borderlands 2 devs.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't know if you remember, but Jeff went fucking bananas over that game, and everyone else was pretty positive about it too, so whether it's a QLEX or not, I doubt they're going to have anything negative to say about it.

#21 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Ashley Burch.

^ I second.

#22 Posted by onlineatron (165 posts) -

@Hunter5024: @Hunter5024 said:

Who cares about Anthony? He's the straight man. Just put Brad in there instead.

Anthony is balls hilarious. Listen to the Hawpcast, interviews he's done.

#23 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

QLEX confirmed, maybe it's Anthony? Randy? Mikey?

#24 Posted by ThatPrimeGuy (141 posts) -

QLEX note just went up. My body is ready.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.